Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #51
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The world is ending.

Deandre Jordan, Andre Drummond and Hassan Whiteside are shooting 100% from the free throw line.

Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #52
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Fultz might come around, but he's got some serious red flags... At this point I would take Tatum, Ball (despite today), Fox, and Smith over him in some order for sure, and Mitchell also most likely based on preseason. I didn't rate Jackson or Isaac before the draft, and haven't really seen anything to change that since, and would probably pick Fultz over them.

Taking Donovan Mitchell over Markelle Fultz based on a handful of preseason and summer league games is incredibly short-sighted.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #53
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Taking Donovan Mitchell over Markelle Fultz based on a handful of preseason and summer league games is incredibly short-sighted.

Maybe, but Fultz was a bad FT shooter in college (64.9%) and can't play a lick of defense. He's a smooth offensive player in the half court, but that's all I've seen so far.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #54
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm not ready to say so early on that Mitchell is better than Fultz, but having watched Fultz some when he was with the Huskies, I never understood why he was the clear #1 in this draft. The faults you put out there are clear, and that doesn't even touch his me-me-me mentality I saw in college. He might end up a very good scorer, but I don't see him being on a championship team the way he is right now. Kinda like Melo, except not as talented.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:08 PM   #55
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

Maybe, but Mitchell has looked really good to me. Smooth driving to the basket, good jumper, good passer, and doesn't force things. Looked like a 2nd or 3rd year pro.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #56
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Maybe, but Fultz was a bad FT shooter in college (64.9%) and can't play a lick of defense. He's a smooth offensive player in the half court, but that's all I've seen so far.
Sounds a lot like Paul George at Fresno his freshman year (69.7% FTs, poor defensive numbers against a weak schedule). Sounds also like Isaiah Thomas as a freshman (68% FT, literally no D). How about Ben Simmons? 67% FTs and similar defense.

If free throw % and defense as a freshman in college are how we rate prospects, half the good players in the league would get tossed. Fultz may not make it, but he is a lot better at many important things (3P %, eFG, Off rating, A/TO) as a freshman in college than many current great players were. I think we need to give him some time to see. Just because the Boston mafia is out to discredit him after Ainge passed doesn't mean he will stink.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #57
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Sounds a lot like Paul George at Fresno his freshman year (69.7% FTs, poor defensive numbers against a weak schedule). Sounds also like Isaiah Thomas as a freshman (68% FT, literally no D). How about Ben Simmons? 67% FTs and similar defense.

If free throw % and defense as a freshman in college are how we rate prospects, half the good players in the league would get tossed. Fultz may not make it, but he is a lot better at many important things (3P %, eFG, Off rating, A/TO) as a freshman in college than many current great players were. I think we need to give him some time to see. Just because the Boston mafia is out to discredit him after Ainge passed doesn't mean he will stink.

Did you see his FT motion? How about his defense? Neither of those areas is AAU quality right now.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #58
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Did you see his FT motion?

Silky smooth...

https://streamable.com/gjj42

murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #59
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Did you see his FT motion? How about his defense? Neither of those areas is AAU quality right now.

Dude is 19 years old, can we wait more than a couple of games to judge a guy that’s young?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #60
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Dude is 19 years old, can we wait more than a couple of games to judge a guy that’s young?

2 for 2 so far today.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #61
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

He's a -8 with 4 fouls in 17 minutes tonight. He's a zero effort guy on D and his FT stroke is almost Shaq bad. He'll score within the offense most nights, but there's nothing to suggest he's a starter on even a decent team.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #62
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
He's a -8 with 4 fouls in 17 minutes tonight. He's a zero effort guy on D and his FT stroke is almost Shaq bad. He'll score within the offense most nights, but there's nothing to suggest he's a starter on even a decent team.

Again, he’s 19 and it’s his second game. I know you have an agenda, but let’s wait until at least mid season before we call him a bust. :shrug:
Old 10-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #63
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Again, he’s 19 and it’s his second game. I know you have an agenda, but let’s wait until at least mid season before we call him a bust. :shrug:

That would seem fair. And he missed a good portion of last season. Imagine if the Lakers or Timberwolves would have given up on Bryant/KG directly after preseason and 1 regular season game....

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-20-2017 at 09:34 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #64
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
That would seem fair. And he missed a good portion of last season. Imagine if the Lakers or Timberwolves would have given up on Bryant/KG directly after preseason and 1 regular season game....

Imagine either of them making no effort on defense at all even at that young of an age.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #65
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Imagine either of them making no effort on defense at all even at that young of an age.

Yep, that was Kobe. And well KG made an effort but was so skinny coming out of high school that got shoved all over the place. Took them both a bit to mature and figure out what the NBA is about. Gotta give a kid time.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #66
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Seriously, did you even watch either of those guys in their rookie seasons?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:15 PM   #67
MrBug708
Head Coach

Randle is a bust
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #68
Groundhog
Coordinator

Fultz was awful tonight. Blocked 3 times going to the hoop, should've been 4 but he was bailed out with a call, and another game where he fouls a 3pt shooter. Kyrie took him to the cleaners for a minute or so to get the Celtics ahead and that was game. Luckily for him Saric was worse... Not a very exciting game really, Redick/Bayless working off the ball was the most fun part of the game.

Celtics got the W, but a lot of stretches where they just didn't look like they could score points. Brown is really going to need to be a consistent scoring option for them with Hayward out.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:12 AM   #69
Groundhog
Coordinator

Looking at the Lakers/Suns boxscore, was there any defense played, or was it basically an all-star game agreement?
Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #70
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Fultz was awful tonight. Blocked 3 times going to the hoop, should've been 4 but he was bailed out with a call, and another game where he fouls a 3pt shooter. Kyrie took him to the cleaners for a minute or so to get the Celtics ahead and that was game. Luckily for him Saric was worse... Not a very exciting game really, Redick/Bayless working off the ball was the most fun part of the game.

Celtics got the W, but a lot of stretches where they just didn't look like they could score points. Brown is really going to need to be a consistent scoring option for them with Hayward out.

I think the refs took away any semblance of a rhythm for both teams. The amount of offensive fouls called basically killed any attempt to run a play with a screen.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #71
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think the refs took away any semblance of a rhythm for both teams. The amount of offensive fouls called basically killed any attempt to run a play with a screen.

This. Refs butchered that game for both teams.

With the reliance on Tatum and Brown, I expect there to be some inconsistent nights in the early part of the season - especially without Smart and Morris defensively. With that said, I love the aggressiveness and confidence of both Tatum/Brown on the offensive end.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #72
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post

pretty impressive to get 65% with that Also, somewhere Chuck Hayes is smiling.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #73
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I think we need to give him some time to see. Just because the Boston mafia is out to discredit him after Ainge passed doesn't mean he will stink.
I've been very impressed by Tatum (and that seems to be the general consensus...), but I've also been very pro-Fultz. I think he profiles really similarly to James Harden and he'll be a great spread pick & roll playmaker as long as he has the work ethic and attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
pretty impressive to get 65% with that Also, somewhere Chuck Hayes is smiling.
He didn't shoot that way in college... worked this offseason on changing his stroke, and somehow that's the result. I have no idea why a professional organization would be okay with it. It's a freaking shot put off his palm, there's no way you can get touch on a shot like that.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #74
Groundhog
Coordinator

Warriors big 2 handled the Griz loss about as badly as possible.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:35 AM   #75
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Fultz 6 points, 4-8 FT, -20 in 24 minutes of play. I think he'll be a good scorer at some point, but that FT motion and his complete inability to even compete defensively is stunning.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #76
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Warriors big 2 handled the Griz loss about as badly as possible.

Was this something on court or in postgame press conferencds? I didn't watch the game but I looked at the box score, and they both did great there (in fact, they were the only ones who did).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Was this something on court or in postgame press conferencds? I didn't watch the game but I looked at the box score, and they both did great there (in fact, they were the only ones who did).

Curry got ejected for throwing his mouthpiece at/near a ref in the final minutes.
Durant got ejected for rushing the ref to complain about the ejection.

edit: Much as I don't care for DG, he actually had a great line in the postgame presser, about how he needed to talk to those guys about the importance of staying on the floor and not getting ejected.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-22-2017 at 04:47 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #78
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Fultz 6 points, 4-8 FT, -20 in 24 minutes of play. I think he'll be a good scorer at some point, but that FT motion and his complete inability to even compete defensively is stunning.

Chrome is stopping me from embedding videos, but one of those FT misses was about a foot wide of the hoop.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #79
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Phoenix Suns fire head coach Earl Watson
Old 10-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #80
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Chrome is stopping me from embedding videos, but one of those FT misses was about a foot wide of the hoop.

https://i.imgur.com/L5VRdvY.gifv

Last edited by molson : 10-22-2017 at 05:42 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #81
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

And with Bledsoe tweeting "I don't want to be here", fun times in Phx!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #82
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

They're only a game behind the Warriors, though.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #83
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Maybe he'll demand a trade to Boston.

Seems to be what all the cool kids are doing, right?
Old 10-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #84
Groundhog
Coordinator

That OKC-Wolves ending was pretty insane. KAT hits a tough floater for the two point lead, Melo hits a 3 with 4.8 seconds left to go up 1, then Wiggins knocks down the long 3 with no timeout for the win.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #85
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Bledsoe wanted out over the offseason. That's why his name was in 100 different trades:

Eric Bledsoe Rumored to Have Requested Trade Before Suns Season Started | Bleacher Report

Watson was a travesty at coach. I know the Suns are young and not slated to win much - but the effort has been horrible for two seasons. Watson apparently doesn't teach any basic defensive tactics, nor does he hold anyone accountable for being out of position (playing half ass). No one got subbed out after this play:

The Suns can play up to 12 guys and I would pull anyone who half assed a defensive rotation or didn't give effort. There is just no accountability with Watson - he looks like he doesn't care on the sideline so the players don't. This team needs an experience coach, not an ex-player who everyone likes. It was a bad fit from the start and I still don't understand why the team brought him back after last season. Pretty much every young player has gotten worse under him and no one has ever played any defense.

Watson wasn't the sole reason they are this bad, but they need a coach that both teaches them how to play D, installs some form of offense that doesn't involve Booker, Warren or Bledsoe going one-on-one for 10 seconds and hold players accountable when the effort isn't there. So, switching out Watson is the first move in the slow rebuild process the Suns find themselves on.

Last edited by Arles : 10-23-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #86
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well his me for at ucla was Steve Lavin, so fundamentals weren't exactly commonplace
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #87
Arles
Grey Dog Software

He seemed like a nice guy and a decent leader, but he just wasn't ready to lead a team of young guys in the NBA. He needs to go be an assistant to an established coach and learn how to call plays, setup offensive and defensive rotations and just manage men. He was ill equipped to handle that in Phoenix.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #88
Drake
assmaster

I don't follow the NBA very closely (usually just glancing at box scores and standings), but I'm curious: Is the $50k fine for Curry a normal amount? That seems pretty stiff for throwing his mouthpiece. I mean, I watched the clip and agree there should have been a fine, but $50k seems awfully high.

So, am I missing some Curry context here or is that a reasonable amount of $$?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #89
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

It's pretty reasonable. He's a repeat offender, and first time fines for throwing stuff on the court for other players have landed in the 15-25K range. Plus, Curry makes $425,000 a game. Avoiding the suspension is the big thing.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #90
Drake
assmaster

Then that makes sense (especially since he's a repeat offender). Thanks!
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #91
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

He also threw it "at" the ref. I think that's a deciding factor in the extra amount of the fine.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #92
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Surprised they didn't suspend him, to be honest.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #93
Groundhog
Coordinator

Ben Simmons with his first triple double vs the Pistons, and the first ever NBA triple double for an Australian.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #94
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Milwaukee is an odd team to matchup against (and if Giannis plays like he did last night, look out!)
Umm... look out.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #95
whomario
Pro Starter

Giannis sure has flaws in his game, but it's just insane how good he has become. I kinda neglected to follow the league last season and saw maybe 1 1/2 Bucks games in total, so this is doubly shocking for me ... Only four games in, but he's averaging about 37 on 65% from the field and really taking responsibility late in games. It's incredible how he manages to put himself into scoring positions despite his lack of a jump shot. Sure a lot is his athletic ability, but he also has terrific footwork and great spatial awareness.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #96
lungs
Pro Rookie

It's nice to have a legit star in Milwaukee that isn't hankering to get out of town at the first chance....
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #97
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Suns fire Watson, bench their "leader" who was buddies with Watson and they win. They are still an abomination, but it will be interesting to see how they do without a malcontent leader and a coach who actually knows how to lead an NBA team. They may be back to watchable again.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #98
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
The world is ending.

Deandre Jordan, Andre Drummond and Hassan Whiteside are shooting 100% from the free throw line.
Dwight Howard did not get the memo. 0-9 last night in a close loss to MIL. Ouch.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #99
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Well his me for at ucla was Steve Lavin, so fundamentals weren't exactly commonplace

Lavin sucked but Watson was one of his rare players that was fairly solid with the fundamentals. No idea why he's not good at teaching them in the pros.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #100
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
You f--- up sometimes.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/10/24/da...pick-cavaliers