Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #51
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
What's funny is the FIFA rankings had Saudi Arabia 3 spots ahead of Russia

Of course, I'm not sure what's a bigger joke: the FIFA rankings or Saudi Arabia being in the World Cup.
Russia hasn't played a competitive match in 24 months, that's going to ruin the FIFA ranking. Barely winning a game in that time span won't help either.

Saudi Arabia basically cruised through World Cup qualifiers, but games against Asian teams score very ewer points. Beating a semi-good Asian team can be worse for your FIFA ranking than drawing 0-0 against a mediocre European opponent.

MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #52
whomario
Pro Starter

Saudi Arabia isn't worse than the other Asian teams, not now nor over the last 20 years (at least not significantly). But their style of play somehow seems to translate very poorly into games against non-asian competition compared to other teams. Them having to juggle an intense training phase and observing Ramadan might not exactly help ... (although i have no idea what exceptions are taken, but they did observe it last year in the lead up to the Australia game for example)

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/14/f...ntl/index.html

As for Hosts getting easy groups, part of that is simply them being seeded for the draw with the Top7. So they technically can't get any of the really strong opponents you'd normally expect them to have to face. Then from the 2nd pot they avoided 2 strong european teams (Spain, England) but got the Urus who finished 2nd in South America.

Them drawing one of Columbia/Mexico/Switzerland/Peru from Pot2, one of Iran/Senegal/Tunisia/Costa Rica from Pot3 and then any of the Pot4 teams (with the possible exception of Serbia) would have made the group seem just as easy. So it's not like they somehow beat great odds to end up with an easy group but it was always a 50/50 thing.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-14-2018 at 03:11 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #53
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Russia hasn't played a competitive match in 24 months, that's going to ruin the FIFA ranking. Barely winning a game in that time span won't help either.

Saudi Arabia basically cruised through World Cup qualifiers, but games against Asian teams score very ewer points. Beating a semi-good Asian team can be worse for your FIFA ranking than drawing 0-0 against a mediocre European opponent.
The FIFA rankings are just a joke. They actually penalize you for friendlies compared to other matches. So, a friendly game against Brazil is less impressive than a qualifying match against Romania. That's why Tunisia, Wales and Peru are top 20 teams.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:36 PM   #54
MIJB#19
Coordinator

By FIFA Rankings, Russia drew the 7th, 6th and 8th 'best' teams in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th posts respectively. The odds of drawing 3 of the bottom 3 of each pot are (3/8)*(3/8)*(3/8) = 27/512, roughly 1 in 19.
(The 'bad' teams were Mexico (p2), Uruguay (p2), Croatia (p2), Egypt (p3), Senegal (p3), Iran (p3), Panama (p4), S.Korea (p4), S.Arabia (p4).

That's not taking into account there were various illegal combinations
(Mexico + Costa Rica + x, Mexico + x + Panama, x + Costa Rica + Panama, Tunisia/Egypt/Senegal + Nigeria/Morocco, Iran + Australia/Japan/S.Korea/S.Arabia, Spain/Swiss/England/Croatia + Denmark/Iceland/Sweden + x, Spain/Swiss/England/Croatia + x + Serbia, x + Denmark/Iceland/Sweden + Serbia), so let's take those away.

From the 27 'good' combinations, 3 were illegal (Mex+Pan, Irn+S.K/S.A), leaving 24 legal combinations.
From the overall 512 combinations, 139 were illegal (I'll spare the calculations of these), leaving 373 legal combinations.
That gives Russia odds of 24 in 373, or roughly 1 in 15.5.

These were the odds of Russia drawing one of the worst three teams from all three pots.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #55
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
By FIFA Rankings, Russia drew the 7th, 6th and 8th 'best' teams in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th posts respectively.

But didn't "we" just observe those are pretty useless ? Would Croatia really have been an even easier opponent than Uruguay ? And Peru a tougher one than Uruguay ? Costa Rica and Tunisia easier than Egypt ?

And would people had screamed as loudly if it were Korea from Pot4 (1 rank above the Saudis) or Japan (beaten by the Saudis) ?

This all has much more to do with perception than them actually having a much easier group than they would get on average in a 100 draws.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-14-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #56
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
But didn't "we" just observe those are pretty useless ? Would Croatia really have been an even easier opponent than Uruguay ? And Peru a tougher one than Uruguay ? Costa Rica and Tunisia easier than Egypt ?

And would people had screamed as loudly if it were Korea from Pot4 (1 rank above the Saudis) or Japan (beaten by the Saudis) ?

This all has much more to do with perception than them actually having a much easier group than they would get on average in a 100 draws.
Sure, "we" don't like the FIFA Rankings, but those that make the draw procedures and execute them do. The distribution of pots were based on the FIFA Rankings.

Just for the fun of it, I decided to calculate the odds of getting a draw as such (1 of 3 worst from each pot) and for the sake of practice used the actual draw procedure order to determine what the worst 3 teams were in each pot.

I had expected the odds to be about 1 in 3 or 4, not to turn out to be 1 in 15.5. Which are low odds, but not completely impossible. Heck, the odds of Greece winning Euro 2004 were 1 in 16 teams, but the bookmakers certainly didn't think they were as good as 1 in 16.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-14-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #57
whomario
Pro Starter

I'm just not a big fan of these sort of discussions as i find them to be much less interesting than commenting on the actual on-field performance, so my posts were not really meant as some sort of rebuttal one way or another. Merely pointing out that to me it is by far not strange enough to make me reconsider that particular stance

Quote:

I had expected the odds to be about 1 in 3 or 4, not to turn out to be 1 in 15.5. Which are low odds, but not completely impossible. Heck, the odds of Greece winning Euro 2004 were 1 in 16 teams, but the bookmakers certainly didn't think they were as good as 1 in 16.

Still not sure what would have seemed more implausible to the citizens of Kaiserslautern, Germany, in the year 2000: The Greeks being coached to a title by their senior citizen coach who never coached outside Germany or that a 21 year old playing in their reserves (after transferring in with the recommendation of 1 goal scored in the 5th division) would go on to score more WC goals than anybody else.

On another note, it kinda feels like we are due a shock run by somebody, an african team in the semifinal would be kinda cool.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #58
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
The FIFA rankings are just a joke. They actually penalize you for friendlies compared to other matches. So, a friendly game against Brazil is less impressive than a qualifying match against Romania. That's why Tunisia, Wales and Peru are top 20 teams.

They just changed that this week to close this loophole
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:59 AM   #59
whomario
Pro Starter

No Salah

On the whole i am kinda rooting for Uruguay. A small(ish) country like that having 2 strikers like Suarez and Cavani is pretty cool, also somehow having 2 of the 15-20 best CBs in Godin/Gimenez. Midfield is pretty damn talented as well.

Plus an absolute class act as coach who after a journeyman career has now been coaching Uruguay for 12 years despite suffering from an illness significantly impairing his mobility.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:49 AM   #60
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Uruguay with the late goal
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #61
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Was sweating out my parlay. Betting the world cup is a bit of a crapshoot. With that in mind, I threw down a few duckets on the Morocco score being 0-0, 1-0 or 2-0 Morocco.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #62
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Uruguay with the late goal

yeah, was kinda overdue after Uruguay finally came to live in the last 15 minutes. Very weird tactics by Uruguay, playing 2 strikers and having all midfielder clog the middle and not getting much from the Fullbacks. Egypt defended well and the keeper was good, but nothing offensively.

Marokko-Iran now and Marokko playing with like 2 1/2 defenders and pushing bodies up the field like crazy early on.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #63
Critch
lolzcat

Morocco v Iran is the best game so far, Morocco looking good.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #64
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
yeah, was kinda overdue after Uruguay finally came to live in the last 15 minutes. Very weird tactics by Uruguay, playing 2 strikers and having all midfielder clog the middle and not getting much from the Fullbacks. Egypt defended well and the keeper was good, but nothing offensively.

Marokko-Iran now and Marokko playing with like 2 1/2 defenders and pushing bodies up the field like crazy early on.
Didn't help that Suarez couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat either. If he's an "average" striker, they are up 2-0 before the goal.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #65
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

How did Iran mess up a 3 on 1?
Old 06-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #66
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
How did Iran mess up a 3 on 1?

Looked like he was prepared to pass, then the sea parted and he missed a step and bumbled a touch.

But Iran adjusted really well after the first 20 minutes, entertaining game throughout even though it's not exactly great quality, objectively speaking.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #67
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Morocco is pretty lucky to be 0-0. Hopefully, they can regroup at the half.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #68
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Morocco is pretty lucky to be 0-0. Hopefully, they can regroup at the half.

Wouldn't go that far, considering they had a couple of sitters early on. That corner-trick where Ziyech misses the ball is normally like a penalty for a guy like him plus the Benatia chance.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #69
Critch
lolzcat

Other than the first 15 minutes, this has been crap.

The standard is poor for the most part, the ref sucks (every game becomes stop start with him), the commentary team sucks, the vuvuzelas suck.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #70
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Morocco v Iran is the best game so far, Morocco looking good.

I assume the first half hour was better than the second half?!

This is everything I hate about world/modern football, lots of falling over, stop start play, just boring

Last edited by AlexB : 06-15-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #71
Butter
Coordinator

What the hell, Morocco.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #72
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Wow, tough luck for Morocco. A lot of goal in the final minutes so far this cup!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #73
Critch
lolzcat

Pepe v Diego Costa coming up, two of the most unlikable, dirtiest dickheads in world soccer. And Sergio Ramos on the pitch too.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #74
AlexB
Pro Starter

This is better!

Pepe might have been fouled, but he gets straight back up he might have been able to block the shot - would have been 1 on 3
Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 PM   #75
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I swear I read an article about how some nations are skipping friendlies and gaming the FIFA rankings.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #76
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It's crazy how good De Gea is for Man U and how shaky he's been for Spain
Old 06-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #77
kingfc22
Head Coach

De Gea with a howler. Oofff
Old 06-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #78
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
CR7 is a decent footballer
Old 06-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #79
Critch
lolzcat

Neuer back to being the undisputed best keeper in the world.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #80
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
This is better!

Pepe might have been fouled, but he gets straight back up he might have been able to block the shot - would have been 1 on 3

Or you know, just don’t flop and stay on your feet.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #81
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Neuer back to being the undisputed best keeper in the world.

before having played his first competitive game in almost a year ? Bold statement

Both teams had some great fluid attacks in their own style, making for a really good game.

Last edited by whomario : 06-15-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #82
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
before having played his first competitive game in almost a year ? Bold statement

He was a bit crap against Austria too. Not De Gea bad though.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #83
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I swear I read an article about how some nations are skipping friendlies and gaming the FIFA rankings.
That's exactly what Tunisia did. In the three years before the World Cup group announcement, I think they had 5 friendlies.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #84
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
He was a bit crap against Austria too. Not De Gea bad though.

Huh ? In my memory he's been the best player for us. Think he had a weird moment trying too much passing the ball, but also had a couple world class saves and both goals were not really of the sort anybody would save.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #85
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Or you know, just don’t flop and stay on your feet.

That was my point
Old 06-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #86
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's exactly what Tunisia did. In the three years before the World Cup group announcement, I think they had 5 friendlies.

They've changed the way the ratings are calculated just this week to stop this from happening again
Old 06-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #87
cartman
Death Herald

on replay, it looks like CR7 just caught De Gea flat footed. He was ready to move right or left and wasn't expecting it right at him.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #88
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

That was a fun first half. Costa's goal was fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spain equalize.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #89
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
That was a fun first half. Costa's goal was fantastic. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spain equalize.

BOOM
Old 06-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #90
AlexB
Pro Starter

Strike!
Old 06-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #91
AlexB
Pro Starter

Watch Ronaldo when Portugal lost possession to set the move away. Shoulders dropped, didn't close down, acted like a spoilt kid...
Old 06-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #92
miami_fan
Coordinator

Incredible
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #93
AlexB
Pro Starter

That was inch perfect though
Old 06-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #94
kingfc22
Head Coach

Yea. He’s good.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #95
AlexB
Pro Starter

What a game! The World Cup has begun!
Old 06-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #96
Arles
Grey Dog Software

That was a great game. Let's hope for more like that this weekend!
Old 06-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #97
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yep, that's the kind of game that gets you excited. I tried to watch a little of the Egypt/Uruguay match and it was a very unfulfilling endeavor.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:12 AM   #98
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Welcome to the modern Era.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #99
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Welcome to the modern Era.

I didn't even think it was close. Even on video replay. No foul from me.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #100
AlexB
Pro Starter

Disagree, penalty for me