Philip Rivers 25 54.35%
Tony Romo 6 13.04%
Mike Trout 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Which QB would you have rather had

Assume that you get the guy as a rookie and that you have functional infrastructure/coaching around him.

This is related to, but not quite, the same question as which guy had the better career.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
bhlloy
Coordinator

Great, great question. I went Romo, because after watching Rivers for years as a Chargers fan so many of his counting stats are in empty garbage time. A 4 TD 400 yard game looks impressive until you realize his 3 INT and a mind blowingly stupid fumble are the reason they were down by 35 and had to throw it for the entire second half.

Manning just hasn't been good for a lot of his career. I guess the real question is whether you want a QB with two rings with average stats or one with consistently above average/good numbers with no rings and a reputation for choking in the playoffs or in important situations.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

I get to Eli or ahem Mike Trout by process of elimination. bhlloy expresses many of the Rivers negatives better than I can but I'm not sure he's a guy who is ever going to get you there. 10-6 for lyfe!

Someone will debate this poing, but Romo may have had the best supporting cast for much of his career of these three. Now if I were starting a broadcast team...

And what about *cough* Trout? Guy is likely the best athlete of the four and can sure throw a baseball.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Feels very hard to conclude that Rivers's various weaknesses couldn't have been remedied, to some degree, by the requisite "coaching" and such intimated by the setup post. Given what I have seen him be capable of, I pick him here, but not by a wide margin.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

Yeah, it's a great question, as I think all three are defensible picks.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I went Mike Trout. He's so good, it wouldn't shock me if he was also the most talented QB of the group.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I agree that they are all defensible picks. I give the nod to Rivers as well, but not by much.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Great, great question. I went Romo, because after watching Rivers for years as a Chargers fan so many of his counting stats are in empty garbage time. A 4 TD 400 yard game looks impressive until you realize his 3 INT and a mind blowingly stupid fumble are the reason they were down by 35 and had to throw it for the entire second half.

Manning just hasn't been good for a lot of his career. I guess the real question is whether you want a QB with two rings with average stats or one with consistently above average/good numbers with no rings and a reputation for choking in the playoffs or in important situations.

Do you think if Rivers went to either the Giants or Steelers he would have equaled (or even surpassed) the two Super Bowl wins Eli and Ben each have?
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:20 PM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
Do you think if Rivers went to either the Giants or Steelers he would have equaled (or even surpassed) the two Super Bowl wins Eli and Ben each have?

I think he'd probably have Eli's rings if that draft night trade hadn't gone down. Roethlisberger is an interesting one as I feel like his style has been pretty integral to those Steeler teams, on the flip side Ben didn't actually play well in the playoffs either of his championship years (and Eli did - go figure).

Let's not forget those Charger teams were far from terrible 2007-2011. They had a higher ranked defense than the Giants both years Eli did his thing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote