Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

The "I'm Terrible at Home Repairs" Thread

I am pretty pleased with myself. I am not a DIY guy or a handy guy at all. I strip screws all the time. I drop stuff and break it. When actually repairing, at least 2 trips to the hardware store.
I once super glued my thumb to a light fixture at the peak of my 15 foot ceiling.

You get the idea.

We had a leaky kitchen sink faucet. Time to replace it. Well, I'll give it a try.
Get the faucet. Need to go to hardware store for basin wrench. Oops, broke a shut off valve handle. To the hardware store.
Finished with no leaks in 4 hours.

WOOT!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Good job. That is me for sure. Not good with those around the house things. I've done a couple things, both very basic, and my level of satisfaction when completed far exceeds the level of complication.

I'll give you credit for tackling anything plumbing related. I have a couple of those projects on my to do list but haven;t had the guts to try. I fear a flooded house when I am done.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #3
JPhillips
General Manager

Everything I can do around the house I learned from tech theatre, basic carpentry, electric and plumbing.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You can find directions on how to fix about anything on Youtube. I will almost always at least try, unless it is something that will kill my family if I screw it up. I figure if something is broken already I'm not going to make it much worse.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You can find directions on how to fix about anything on Youtube. I will almost always at least try, unless it is something that will kill my family if I screw it up. I figure if something is broken already I'm not going to make it much worse.

Oh yeah, youtube is fantastic. I had 3 different videos open yesterday.

As for breaking things.........

I tend to break the new things Im using to replace. Or something close by that isnt related to the project. Im like a bull in a china shop.

Eaglefan, I love the statement that your satisfaction far exceed the complication. Yep, thats me too. I was stoked yesterday.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just replaced our kitchen sink a couple weeks ago, so far so good.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

toilets are one of the most frustrating/rewarding repairs you can do. They can be a never ending chase, leak everywhere, or break. They are dirty and you can't go fast to get them done. They aren't super hard, but when you're done, and it all works like it's supposed to it's a good feeling.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I've fixed a bunch of things the past few years, getting the confidence to do it myself because of Youtube videos. Most work isn't really that complicated if you know how to do it. Certainly not a handiman, but if I can avoid paying someone to do something that I could do myself, I will.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #9
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Not always the case, I tried to replace my garbage disposal and ended up with TKOing my dishwasher
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I suck at everything. Having the directions is only about 10% of it. I still can't physically do it - just too clumbsy and/or don't have the refined skills to be able to do it appropriately.

It also doesn't help that none of it interests me in the least. I really don't understand or care how any of it works.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Not always the case, I tried to replace my garbage disposal and ended up with TKOing my dishwasher

Maybe Youtube not for you then
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #12
corbes
College Benchwarmer

My best plumbing advice is this: do not try to fix the leaky kitchen faucet after 6pm on a Sunday evening.

Because when you break it, thereby turning the leaky faucet into a continuously-running faucet, you have to go into the basement to turn off the water to the sink.

And in the basement, you'll find that there's no shutoff valve to the sink specifically, and that in fact the closest shutoff valve turns off the water to the whole house.

And although you broke the faucet, you see now that it's a simple part that you need to fix it, but it's Sunday evening and all the stores are closed. You'll have to wait until Monday to get the part.

But in the meantime there is no water in the house for baths, showers before work, toilets, cooking dinner, etc., without turning the sink back on and having the water shoot out the top of the now-broken faucet.

For reasons you can imagine, this makes one very popular within the household.

Not saying that ever happened to me...
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I suck at everything. Having the directions is only about 10% of it. I still can't physically do it - just too clumbsy and/or don't have the refined skills to be able to do it appropriately.

It also doesn't help that none of it interests me in the least. I really don't understand or care how any of it works.

This is me. I can do only the most basic things. Usually when I try something, I quickly run in to complications that make me wonder how anyone does these things. I can successfully replace door knobs, so that's something.

I'm currently working up the resolve to replace a shower head. Yesterday, I decided I just wasn't feeling up to the task and punted it to today.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-16-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #14
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That's what makes the world go round. I can say the same thing pretty much about most things computer software related. Something "simple" like adding a new printer to our office network will take me hours upon hours of hate filled frustration.

But plumbing in a whole new bathroom? Or re wiring a house? That's fun and simple.

And like you, the computer stuff doesnt interest me to learn - which I think I could if I wanted to, but I find the construction stuff fascinating.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
Ksyrup

I've never been a "hands on" person. Never been mechanically inclined at all. Don't care about cars and how they run, etc. Frustrated the hell out of my dad, ha!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Definitely not a car guy either. Don't fix 'em myself, don't need a fancy one. Safety and reliability are my top priorities with cars.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #17
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting contrast. Total car guy. Those are my "toys" have several classics my son and I have restored and 2 current projects as well.

I always just attributed this to my engineer mindset. But I HAVE to know how something works.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #18
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Anything dealing with electricity in the house, I nope out real quick.

Other than that. I am pretty confident in most of the other stuff.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #19
path12
Coordinator

First date I told my wife that I was truly useless in any sort of handyman scenario and have proved that over and over in the ensuing 16 years.

Set those expectations early, kids!
Old 07-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #20
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I've never been a "hands on" person. Never been mechanically inclined at all. Don't care about cars and how they run, etc. Frustrated the hell out of my dad, ha!

Pretty much me as well. Growing up an only child in a mom only house didn't help at all. So the level of knowledge that I had to learn for my profession was eye opening and challenging.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #21
Ksyrup

I knew early on I was going to law school because I could write well but couldn't do anything else that could get me paid.