Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > Dark Cloud's Personal Playground
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should SLOP make all contracts guaranteed?
Yes, all contracts should be guaranteed. 11 78.57%
No, status quo is working just fine. 2 14.29%
Yes, contracts over $20m should guaranteed. 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Guaranteed Contracts

So was having a discussion with a few members today and someone brought up guaranteed contracts.

My position on this has always been, so long as teams aren't releasing guys and picking them back up for lower money then it's NBD. But...I'm open to the idea that it's a massive loophole that we need to close.

So I wanted to get feedback on this.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Jack Raden
Mascot

I'm 100% in favor of shutting this loophole. Even if it's just something as simple as "You pay half of whatever's remaining".
Jack Raden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Im with jack, guarantee em. too bad OOTP wont do that for us.... (ie let you offer guarantee vs non guaranteed money)

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

I support guaranteed contracts with the caveat that a new owner gets unlimited amnesty on inherited deals.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Im with jack, guarantee em. too bad OOTP wont do that for us.... (ie let you offer guarantee vs non guaranteed money)

What's funny is, the game actually does have a way to make a deal non-guaranteed. You just still get charged back for all of the contract anyway. I posted in the beta forum about it a few weeks back and someone gave me some hackeyed explanation for why the game was doing it correctly.

I basically said, "the game has the checkbox in the player editor to make deals non-guaranteed. It makes no sense that I get charged back for them anyway."

That's at least three votes I've managed to solicit for the end of non-guaranteed deals.

Anyway, that 3rd poll option can be "Yes, but there needs to be provisions for dropping some deals, etc."
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I support guaranteed contracts with the caveat that a new owner gets unlimited amnesty on inherited deals.

Yes, this would happen for sure.

We'd given the new owner one season to drop whatever deals they wanted like old-school. So they could play out the whole year with their current team, see who doesn't suck and cut whoever they want without penalty, essentially.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If we pass this, you'd have until next year's start of FA to cut any contracts you currently have without penalty. So this would go into effect starting with the start of free agency next season.

I'm mostly looking now for ideas, if we go this route (I'm open to some massive popular uprising saying we need to keep stat quo) of whether owners ought to have any wiggle room at all.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My preliminary thinking is...an NBA-like amnesty clause where a team can drop one bad deal. But not every year. And maybe only for lottery teams. Jack's idea is also a solid possibility, because it'd be simple.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-18-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GUARANTEED CONTRACTS
- All contracts in SLOP are guaranteed for the full contract value.
- Teams with new ownership receive one year of full season of contract amnesty, meaning anyone on the roster can be released without penalty.

So this would be the proposed rule starting after this season. (aka next off-season) I was kicking around amnesty clauses and stuff, but honestly, I have no interest in policing anything and I don't want to start keeping track of who dropped who when, etc.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-18-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Jack Raden
Mascot

I think that's honestly the best way to do it. No more mega deals!
Jack Raden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Ramzavail
College Starter

Stop fiddling with RonBall.

But - if you must, you gotta lower the alotted regular/star/superstar contract levels - if you are gonna go guaranteed - I think that needs to be simmered down a touch.

and please fiddle with the caught stolen #'s too while you are there Sometimes I feel like the stats output like 1987 Will Clark.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

SLOP average salary is about at MLB's 2008 rate. So we're in the sweet spot there. We'll see some salary adjustment starting this coming off-season mostly on the good but not great guys who were almost ALWAYS overpriced before.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I voted that contracts would be guaranteed. With that starting next year we will be able to release guys without penalty before the next offseason?
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
I voted that contracts would be guaranteed. With that starting next year we will be able to release guys without penalty before the next offseason?

Right, exactly. Anyone released between now and the start of free agency for next season would be able to be released without penalty. From 1862 FA1 on, the new rule would be in effect.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
Stop fiddling with RonBall.

But - if you must, you gotta lower the alotted regular/star/superstar contract levels - if you are gonna go guaranteed - I think that needs to be simmered down a touch.

and please fiddle with the caught stolen #'s too while you are there Sometimes I feel like the stats output like 1987 Will Clark.

I've fixed the regular/star/superstar contract levels. They're too high for guaranteed. You all will see the impact immediately.

Will also look at your CS issue.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
I've fixed the regular/star/superstar contract levels. They're too high for guaranteed. You all will see the impact immediately.

Will also look at your CS issue.

shouldnt fix till after FA is over....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
shouldnt fix till after FA is over....

This is really the last big stage with ST tomorrow anyway. And the leftovers in the pool won't notice, since everyone will be bidding on whatever faux stars like Bo Fisher think they're worth. I've only tweaked it for top players and elite players, not for the mid-tier guys.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

100% in favor of this change. The current rules really cut down on the amount of strategy involved in roster management and free agency and makes it a lot less fun, as there are really some ridiculous contracts out there that are obviously not going to be honoured long-term. The new system won't be able to be gamed, which is nice.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You guys should've said something sooner. I had no idea so many people were thinking this. But glad we figured it out.

The new rule is approved and will go into force starting at the end of this post-season.