Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2020, 11:30 AM   #51
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Latest Bracketology has San Diego St the #1 seed in the EAST.

I can remember having East #1 seeds out west but I cant re-call a team from the West being the #1 seed in the East. Still plenty of things can change but....

All of the current projected 1 seeds are West of the Mississippi. So that means the lowest one would get shipped East.

Right now, it seems like there are 5 teams for 4 #1 slots. Kansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, SDSU, Dayton. Perhaps something will happen this weekend or next week to get one of them to clearly separate negatively from the others. But if it doesn't, SDSU being shipped East as the worst 1 seed makes sense. The only other thing I could see happening would be Baylor looks bad in another game, and it ends up Dayton/Baylor in the East.

Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #52
miami_fan
Coordinator

What the hell is going on with the floor at the WCC tournament?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #53
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

It is like the floor is in black and white but the players and the logo are in color. Hard to watch on TV. Not Boise State football hard, but hard nonetheless.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good God, that floor is turrible
Old 03-10-2020, 05:24 PM   #55
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ok good. Glad it wasn't just me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-10-2020, 05:49 PM   #56
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hey NDSU the #1 in the Summit is playing for the Dance tonight against UND. Normally, NDSU should cruise, and UND is the 6 seed, and had a losing record, but UND just beat us at the end of the year, so who knows. We've played very (too/two) close games to get here. It would be nice to go back to back.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #57
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Old 03-10-2020, 06:06 PM   #58
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

VEGAS!

You can't hold a tourney in Vegas and play on a generic court.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #59
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm starting to think the tourney might be held in mostly empty gyms. Maybe just bands and family attending?

Probably not a huge issue outside of the ambiance. Guessing the NCAA makes most of their money from the TV rights and not some ticket sales (which are kind of cheap last time I went).
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #60
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm starting to think the tourney might be held in mostly empty gyms. Maybe just bands and family attending?

Probably not a huge issue outside of the ambiance. Guessing the NCAA makes most of their money from the TV rights and not some ticket sales (which are kind of cheap last time I went).

I don't know about the NCAA but there are a number of business owners in the Tampa area that need a bit more than family and band members to make their investments worthwhile for the 1st/2nd rounds.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:07 PM   #61
tarcone
Coordinator

1st and 2nd round held in St. Louis. There have been no crazy cancellations, including their St. Pats parade.

Its early yet, but most things still on.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #62
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Hey NDSU the #1 in the Summit is playing for the Dance tonight against UND. Normally, NDSU should cruise, and UND is the 6 seed, and had a losing record, but UND just beat us at the end of the year, so who knows. We've played very (too/two) close games to get here. It would be nice to go back to back.

NDSU started on a 12-0 run and never looked back crushing UND 89-53. I think projections have around around a 13-14 seed, which isn't bad.

Also NKU took their title home tonight so another local team to cheer for in the Dance.

Like Steam?

Old 03-11-2020, 07:25 AM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

*coughDAYTONcough*
Old 03-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #64
miami_fan
Coordinator

Keep that coughing in the other thread! This thread is symptom free.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:03 AM   #65
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Not looking good for NCAA tournament now that the NBA suspended their season while Bilas & Gilmore are ranting away about why it needs to be cancelled.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #66
Butter
Coordinator

The best weeks of the year quickly turning into the worst. I'm not advocating anything different being done, it's just a fucking bummer man.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #67
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Duke and Kansas both announcing they wouldn’t play. Game over.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #68
Butter
Coordinator

MEAC Women's tournament still playing in Norfolk, VA. Men's tournament quarters scheduled tonight at 6.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:31 PM   #69
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Duke and Kansas both announcing they wouldn’t play. Game over.

Last edited by Arles : 03-12-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #70
tarcone
Coordinator

P5 schools cancelled conference tourneys. Iowa had a damn 5 seed. Highest seed in 15 years I believe

Old 03-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #71
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

NCAA just canceled the tourney:

NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA
Old 03-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #72
tarcone
Coordinator

Shit. Iowa was going to win the Wrestling national championship this year. 1st one in a decade. Damn, that really bums me out.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #73
Arles
Grey Dog Software

What about the fact that the NCAA tourney revenue pays for a ton of smaller sports for most schools? I'm guessing even if we end up OK by the fall, some fall sports may not have the money to compete.

Last edited by Arles : 03-12-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #74
rjolley
College Starter

This impacts Div II sports as well, where my national champion Northwest Missouri State Bearcats were looking to defend their title with regional play starting on March 15th.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Utter, complete, and full-on madness.

A month from now, when this is over, the NCAA will likely be facing their own demise and deservedly so.

Cancelling June championships in early March is perhaps the most batshit insane thing I've seen in my entire life.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-12-2020 at 05:54 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #76
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

A month from now, when this is over, the NCAA will likely be facing their own demise and deservedly so.

No question the "hindsight is 20/20" folks will be all over it and they will indeed, have all the right answers.

Like Steam?

Old 03-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #77
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Cancelling June championships in early March is perhaps the most batshit insane thing I've seen in my entire life.

If this is over in a month it will be because these steps were taken.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #78
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

I agreed somewhat, initially. I was surprised to see the College World Series and the Women's College World Series cancelled.

However, thinking about it, I can see the point of view. If everything is shutdown for a month, including the actual schools, and there's no place to train, getting the players back in shape to be ready to play would take another 2 weeks or so, which takes you into early May. That would leave a month to finish the season and play regionals before starting the respective World Series in late May/early June. From that point of view, you either cancel it or have a potentially bad product on the field.

Sucks, but the best move out of the options.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #79
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I put a lot of thought and analysis into it. I think I might finally get a perfect bracket this year. What do you guys think?

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #80
molson
General Manager

Going completely chalk like that is kind of boring, but we'll see how it goes.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #81
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If this is over in a month it will be because these steps were taken.

Yup. People taking steps to minimize the impact might work, in which case they will be criticized for taking steps to minimize the impact. Does not mean they were wrong.

It is basically the same thing as criticizing the United States for having had a huge military/intelligence operation during the Cold War.

"Durr . . the Soviets never attacked us. I guess that big military wasn't needed after all."

We KNOW what will happen if we go business as usual. Look at Italy. That's the answer. This isn't a hypothetical.

I've got two parents, a grandparent, and a mother-in-law all in the danger zone.

Normally, I'm all for pretending the MAGA heads have a point for the sake of civil discourse. But my personal stakes are too high here.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #82
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I put a lot of thought and analysis into it. I think I might finally get a perfect bracket this year. What do you guys think?

Is Warren Buffett's mortgage company running that Billion Dollar perfect bracket contest again?

This might be the year it backfires on them.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #83
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Usually, I am not one to stick up for the NCAA but it is actually not bat shit insane. In fact, this has more to do with the way schools are handling this which is forcing the NCAA's hand.

Most schools are shutting down campus housing and canceling activities in favor of online learning. So if schools are sending their kids home, how are they going to practice and do team related activities? Especially, if half the team if from around the country. They just simply cant.

Even if schools resume face to face in a month (which I highly doubt they will given the climate at the moment) they still have lost a ton of time practice/game wise and then once someone tests positive on campus things go back up in the air.

Campuses aren't designed to be able to deal with these things well. If someone gets sick in the residence halls, there aren't empty rooms just sitting there vacant, as that would be a loss of revenue for the college. Even if a college kid self quarantines, in their res hall, their floor and then their building are all then going to have to do the same. I mean what 18 year old is going to be able to sit still in their room for 14 days? Some of those team members are then going to be lost.

It's easier to just cancel given all the factors at play here and start giving back money to whomever vs taking a wait and see approach as nobody I know in higher ed thinks campuses will be back open for business face- to face the rest of the year. Hence one of the major reasons the NCAA is making that call.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #84
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
nobody I know in higher ed thinks campuses will be back open for business face- to face the rest of the year.

Do you mean current school year or 2020 as a whole?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:51 PM   #85
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Do you mean current school year or 2020 as a whole?

My bad, for the rest of this 2020 spring semester. Still very hopeful for a 2020 Fall return.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #86
Kodos
Resident Alien

So, technically, Indiana won the final game of the Big Ten Tournament. Yes! Our first Big Ten Tourney Championship!
Old 03-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #87
molson
General Manager

I know this is pointless and based upon the lack of testing, but, Idaho may come out on top of this bracket!

Edit: Well shit, West Virginia wins

Last edited by molson : 03-13-2020 at 05:24 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #88
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Old 03-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #89
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm really happy I can get a small piece of this weekend. If this were a normal year, I'd be skipping church today to worship at the house of the orange ball. I'm happy I get to do that today as Kansas-Memphis 2008 is on CBS right now (and Bill Self live tweeting the game).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #90
bob
College Starter

Watching the replay of UVA - TT. I forgot all about that bullshit position reversal (might have gone off his pinky if you go to super insane slow mo and squink really hard) with 1:06 left in OT. Especially since the dude was obviously fouled right before.0
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #91
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Watching the replay of UVA - TT. I forgot all about that bullshit position reversal (might have gone off his pinky if you go to super insane slow mo and squink really hard) with 1:06 left in OT. Especially since the dude was obviously fouled right before.0

Yeah, I noticed that too. That should never have been a reversal.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #92
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quick note to the NCAA,

I am a huge basketball and soccer fan. There is a significant distance between those two and other sports.

I think I have consumed 40-50 replays of NBA games and about 20 G-League, Euroleague etc replays just since we began the isolation period.

I have watched an unreasonable number of replays of soccer matches, men's and women's, from all over the world. I even watched a few college games for both men and women.

I am desperate for the NBA and the various soccer leagues to come back.

Upon hearing this week was the anniversary of Bill Walton's dominating game against Memphis State, I realized that, despite having tickets for my son and I to attend the first weekend of the men's tournament, I did not miss March Madness one bit. I have no desire to re-watch any games from this season. I barely remember anything from this past season other than the first Duke vs North Carolina game.
This can't be good for the future of your game.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #93
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Quick note to the NCAA,

I am a huge basketball and soccer fan. There is a significant distance between those two and other sports.

I think I have consumed 40-50 replays of NBA games and about 20 G-League, Euroleague etc replays just since we began the isolation period.

I have watched an unreasonable number of replays of soccer matches, men's and women's, from all over the world. I even watched a few college games for both men and women.

Upon hearing this week was the anniversary of Bill Walton's dominating game against Memphis State, I realized that, despite having tickets for my son and I to attend the first weekend of the men's tournament, I did not miss March Madness one bit. I have no desire to re-watch any games from this season. I barely remember anything from this past season other than the first Duke vs North Carolina game.

We might be polar opposites. I could care less if they finish the NBA season but not having the NCAA tournament has made this isolation so much worse. Missing out on Dayton and San Diego State and how far they would have made it was a bummer. It was a year in which other than maybe Kansas their wasnt a real dominate team so the madness would have high.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #94
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Quick note to the NCAA,

I think you are the exception. I love sports and I have not watched one second of a game replay, nor would I, but I love MM and will be back next year ready for action.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #95
tarcone
Coordinator

Looks like Rutgers is taking that B1G money and turning itself into a BB school. No shame in that.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #96
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Greg Brown III picked Texas, over Kentucky, Michigan, Auburn, Memphis, and an offer from the G league. Hope that the late season form of the Longhorns wasn't a fluke and Shaka finally figured things out in the Big 12.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:07 PM   #97
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

My attempt of trying to re-create something that was badly missed this year.

2020 March Madness - Front Office Football Central
Old 05-06-2020, 08:58 AM   #98
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Schedule and Odds

Tuesday, March 17, 2020
6pm (16)Siena 78(-5.5) vs (16)Prairie View A&M 65
9pm (11)Stanford 64(-2.5) vs (11)UCLA 82

Wednesday, March 18, 2020
6pm (16)North Carolina Central 66 vs (16)Robert Morris 63(-4.5)
9pm (11)Richmond 75 vs (11)Wichita St 72(-1.5)

Thursday, March 19, 2020
12pm (8)Saint Mary's 87 vs (9)Oklahoma 80(-2)
1230pm (2)Florida St 64(-14.5) vs (15)Northern Kentucky 52
1pm (7)USC 56 vs (10)Indiana 75(-3)
2pm (7)Michigan 57(-4.5) vs (10)Utah St 52
230pm (1)Dayton 77(-19) vs (16)Winthrop 73
3pm (7)Providence 56 vs (10)LSU 59(-1)
330pm (2)Villanova 72(-11.5) vs (15)North Dakota St 65
430pm (2)Creighton 85(-12.5) vs (15)Belmont 72
700pm (4)Louisville 63(-9.5) vs (13)Liberty 59
730pm (3)Seton Hall 66(-10.5) vs (14)Hofstra 65
800pm (7)Iowa 62(-3.5) vs (10)Xavier 70
830pm (3)Duke 74(-18) vs (14)Little Rock 66
930pm (5)Auburn 76(-5.5) vs (12)Akron 79
10pm (6)BYU 68(-6.5) vs (11)UCLA 66
1030pm (2)San Diego St 82(-15.5) vs (15)Eastern Washington 72
11pm (6)Illinois 73(-2.5) vs (11)Cincinnati 60

Friday, March 20, 2020
12pm (1)Kansas 77(-27.5) vs (16)NC Central 64
1230pm (5)Penn St 94(-6.5) vs (12)Stephen F Austin 73
1pm (3)Maryland 77(-11.5) vs (14)UC Irvine 43
2pm (5)Ohio St 63(-8) vs (12)Yale 68
230pm (8)Arizona State 50 vs (9)Florida 49(-5)
3pm (4)Oregon 85(-8.5) vs (13)New Mexico St 71
330pm (6)Virginia 51(-1) vs (11)Richmond 70
430pm (4)Butler 66(-7.5) vs (13)Bradley 88
700pm (6)West Virginia 76(-3.5) vs (11)Rutgers 87
730pm (1)Gonzaga 84(-19.5) vs (16)Siena 69
800pm (1)Baylor 73(-17.5) vs (16)Boston University 48
830pm (4)Kentucky 71(-6.5) vs (13)Vermont 56
930pm (3)Michigan St 75(-10.5) vs (14)North Texas 64
1000pm (8)Houston 72(-3) vs (9)Colorado 62
1030pm (8)Marquette 55 vs (9)Arizona 69(-4.5)
1100pm (5)Wisconsin 73(-5.5) vs (12)East Tennessee St 76

Saturday, March 21, 2020

12pm (6)Illinois vs (3)Duke(-5.5)
230pm (7)Michigan vs (2)Creighton(-1.5)
330pm (12)Akron vs (4)Louisville(-8)
430pm (10)LSU vs (2)Florida St(-3.5)
530pm (10)Indiana vs (2)Villanova(-4.5)
600pm (1)Dayton(-8) vs (8)St Mary's
700pm (10)Xavier vs (2)San Diego St(-7)
800pm (6)BYU(-1) vs (3)Seton Hall

Sunday, March 22, 2020

12pm (1)Kansas(-12.5) vs (8)Arizona St
230pm (12)Yale(-3) vs (13)Bradley
330pm (11)Richmond vs (3)Maryland(-6)
430pm (12)E Tennessee St vs (4)Kentucky(-4.5)
530pm (5)Penn St vs (4)Oregon(-2.5)
600pm (1)Baylor(-4.5) vs (9)Arizona
700pm (11)Rutgers vs (3)Michigan St(-5)
800pm (1)Gonzaga(-6.5) vs (8)Houston

Feel free to check in and make predictions if you'd like. I feel like this game "Cactus League games" does a nice job of simulating real life college basketball other than the end of the game fouling is lacking. I was a little upset that the default tournament had a play in game with 2 pac-12 teams as well and by trying to change it eliminated a play in game. It is a very pricey game as well. For everything, basically two seasons, it cost over $100(sale price). Draft Day or Fastbreak are much better deals unfortunately I wanted real life players to do this.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-06-2020 at 09:02 AM.