Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Whether it's a breast or a full turkey,

buy a good quality turkey
brine it at least 24 hours
cover the top in bacon so the fat drips into the turkey
don't overcook

If you do this it won't be dry.
Even easier: Dress the turkey how you like. I usually use creole butter and put a stick of unsalted butter inside the cavity. Then place it in a roasting bag. 3-3 1/2 hours for a 20+ pound turkey, and it will be super moist. I have no idea why anybody does turkey any different. No basting, no fuss.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #102
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

My wife and I were going to fly to Minnesota to spend Christmas with the in laws but canceled that. High of 10 below on Christmas eve makes me quite happy we canceled. Probably going to go up there in March instead
Old 12-20-2020, 12:02 PM   #103
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

My family finds that rotisserie over the grill is the best method for a juicy turkey.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #104
AnalBumCover
College Starter

We had originally planned to have our big family gathering on New Years Eve because of scheduling conflicts on Christmas weekend. We cancelled because it would've involved 4 households. And if you include step-siblings, that makes it potentially 6 households worth of exposure. Instead, we're going to ring in the new year on Zoom.

Our plan is to now spend this week and next delivering our Christmas gifts to each household. Part of our annual tradition is to play a huge White Elephant gift exchange. We're planning on running that during the Zoom meeting, with all the gifts held at one house, and each person will choose/steal the gifts remotely. Then we'd deliver the gifts next time we see each other. Here's hoping it runs smoothly.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #105
PilotMan
Head Coach

It looks like our Christmas will be normal this year. I think we've determined that my mom can come over for the day, which is all we've ever done. She wasn't here for Thanksgiving and thank god for that, because the Covid was rampant in here.

NYE will be a mix. We're going out with another couple to a comedy show (they had covid the same time we did) and then home to see the New Year in with our kids. That's it. Benefits of a very small family.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #106
Edward64
Head Coach

Just wife, me and 2 college kids.

BTW - Birx was caught with more than extended family for Thanksgiving. Her denial/rationalization is disappointing. I really, really hope Fauci doesn't mess up.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #107
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Just the family, but we will bring a meal to the inlaws.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #108
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It looks like our Christmas will be normal this year. I think we've determined that my mom can come over for the day, which is all we've ever done. She wasn't here for Thanksgiving and thank god for that, because the Covid was rampant in here.

NYE will be a mix. We're going out with another couple to a comedy show (they had covid the same time we did) and then home to see the New Year in with our kids. That's it. Benefits of a very small family.

Well, my Mom has pulled the rug out by saying that she's not coming. Not today, not tomorrow. We felt like our home was safe, that we've all recovered, not contagious, everyone is improving. She's been a part of our Christmas for like the last 18 years and not having her here will be rough. I see my neighbors and their parents all the time. My mom is a massive fraidy cat. She's been careful for the most part, and she's terribly scared of being sick and alone (as she lives alone). As much faith as she has in religion she is scared of SO much. I am stunned. We wouldn't put her in a position that we felt was dangerous, and like Thanksgiving, we didn't think having her close was good, but after we've all recovered, we felt like it would be as safe as it could be. But now she can't stop thinking about all the people who have died, and she doesn't want to die, and that's all she is thinking about. So she would rather be miserable in her house and sad, than be here. I understand, and don't understand. The kids get older and older, and the times where we're all together are just thin now. She basically said, that until she feels 100% safe she can't do it. All week we've been talking about coming. Today, she hits me with this. All I could have done before now was to have us all tested and prove that we were negative. This whole development has really brought me down.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #109
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Rather than getting together with 5 different households, we just spent three hours on Skype and spiced it up playing Skribbl with the lot. It was really enjoyable to still do something together. Under 'normal' circumstances, a get together would have been a no-brainer.

I actually do plan on visiting my parents this weekend. Still mulling over how long and definitely with distancing. It's weird, but it kind of helps that they're in the 10 weeks after catching COVID-19. (In theory they could get me sick, but not the other way around, which would mean it's basically just my own health to care about.)
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #110
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Rather than getting together with 5 different households, we just spent three hours on Skype and spiced it up playing Skribbl with the lot. It was really enjoyable to still do something together. Under 'normal' circumstances, a get together would have been a no-brainer.

I actually do plan on visiting my parents this weekend. Still mulling over how long and definitely with distancing. It's weird, but it kind of helps that they're in the 10 weeks after catching COVID-19. (In theory they could get me sick, but not the other way around, which would mean it's basically just my own health to care about.)

I’m spending Christmas alone, so that the rest of my family can spend Christmas together all within the rules (cases where I live have multiplied nearly tenfold in the last 3 weeks - from a low level 50-odd per 100k to c.500, but still a massive increase)

I did go up to my parents yesterday to drop presents off (also within the rules - they are my bubble) - I only intended stopping for a few minutes, but I’m weak, got talked into a cup of tea, and then tea (aka evening meal).

It ended up being around 3 hours, I didn’t feel 100% comfortable, especially when eating as we were closer together, I’ve been sensible in working from home, but still wish I had been strong enough to leave earlier.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #111
AlexB
Pro Starter

Sod’s law, my niece developed a temperature this morning, so my parents didgo to my brother’s after all. Doesn’t affect the rationale behind not going up, but annoying that even with this decision, the rest of my family still weren’t able to meet up.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #112
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut00 View Post
This Christmas was very different from what it was last year. I have always celebrated this holiday with my big family. This year I celebrated only with my parents. The brother and his family did not come because he lives on the other side of the country and he does not want to risk their health. Uncle and aunt with their families did not come to visit us either, they decided to stay at home. So this year instead of 13, there were only 4 of us: me, mom, dad, and my dog. It's sad, of course, but I understand that these are forced circumstances. I hope that next year we will celebrate Christmas with a big family again.

Ah, that’s nice - just him, his mom, dad and his Boner