Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #251
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Michelle Bachmann's husband on gays:

That bitch gets into office and I'm moving to Canada.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #252
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
That XXXXX gets into office and I'm moving to Canada.

Now now. I dislike her as much as anyone, but referring to her in those words isn't necessary and just serves to marginalize your opinion as based on something other than policy positions.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-30-2011 at 02:25 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #253
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Classic.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #254
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Because some people are tired of Washington DC spending more (correct that way more) than it takes in with empty promises that if we just give them one more chance they will change. What am I missing?

Again, I am not asking whether it is good policy or not; I am asking about the politics of it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #255
sabotai
General Manager

So I looked up the Bachmann's husband story and found videos of him speaking......the story instantly flipped from "Holy crap what a bigot" to "Bwahahahahaha" in about 0.32 seconds.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #256
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
So I looked up the Bachmann's husband story and found videos of him speaking......the story instantly flipped from "Holy crap what a bigot" to "Bwahahahahaha" in about 0.32 seconds.

no linky goodness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8oyA...layer_embedded

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-30-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #257
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
That bitch gets into office and I'm moving to Canada.

Can we hold you to that as a promise? Maybe even get a pinky swear on it?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #258
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sadly, Canada won't take me. Something about a moose I'd rather not talk about.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #259
JediKooter
Coordinator

My sister was bit by a moose.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #260
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Meh, he sounds like a closet gay trying to pretend he hates gays. I say elect her just so he can be the first 'first husband' to come out of the closet while in the White House.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #261
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Meh, he sounds like a closet gay trying to pretend he hates gays. I say elect her just so he can be the first 'first husband' to come out of the closet while in the White House.
If you've seen him talk and interact in person, what you said becomes more obvious. He is quite flamboyant.

The weird thing about Bachmann is she is sort of a character you would create to parody a right-wing politician. Sort of like Colbert does. Just over-the-top with stuff and having the gay husband who is anti-gay is the cherry on top.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #262
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Leaving aside any questions of whether the GOP hard line on the debt ceiling is good policy, I am starting to wonder if it is just bad politics.

It seems that, barring some unanticipated changes, the 2012 campaign/election will take place with unemployment sticking close to 10% and record (or near record) numbers of people saying that the country is on the wrong track.

This seems like a situation as good as the GOP could have hoped for. Indeed, if the economic fundamentals and general funk we are all feeling does not improve, I think that the GOP candidate is likely to win.

So, why trade that situation for a high-stakes game of chicken with the President whose outcome is unknowable? Especially when the President has the bully pulpit? Isn't it President Obama who should be hoping for a game changer right now? Isn't the GOP is a pretty good position if things stay the same?

Basically, right now, the GOP leadership could completely turn the tables--say that the President refuses to raise the debt ceiling without raising your taxes. Further say that--unlike the President--the GOP isn't willing to risk your 401(k)s and Medicare checks just to prove a point. And then, making it painfully clear that YOU are the ones with the gun to your head, vote for "Obama's" debt ceiling increase.

And then make the election about (1) we gave him his debt increase, and, see, things still suck; (2) the only way to stop the spending is to put us back in charge; and (3) I don't want to hear anything about George W. Bush and this economy anymore--the President is the one who signed this debt into law and who was willing to risk the full faith and credit of the United States because he wanted to increase your taxes so much. This is his debt, his unemployment rate, his tax-and-spend policies. If you want it to change, you know what to do this November.

Why isn't that the game plan? What am I missing? How is creating a crisis likely to lead to a better outcome than this?

Because tax increases for any reason are a non-starter with the Tea Party, and the GOP incumbents fear the thought of primary fights in 2012 on top of their efforts to reclaim the White House, presumably.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #263
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Because tax increases for any reason are a non-starter with the Tea Party, and the GOP incumbents fear the thought of primary fights in 2012 on top of their efforts to reclaim the White House, presumably.

Tea Party and major contributors.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #264
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They'll never get another opportunity like this. If they can make the Dems cave they'll reshape the role of government in the US while getting political cover from Dems.

If it goes wrong the world economy is fucked, but that's a gamble they're willing to take.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #265
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
They'll never get another opportunity like this. If they can make the Dems cave they'll reshape the role of government in the US while getting political cover from Dems.

If it goes wrong the world economy is fucked, but that's a gamble they're willing to take.

False dilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will offer a third option. Repubs cave at the least minute and several vote to "save the world economy". People get pissed and say they will vote out the bums. 2012 election results basically every seat in Congress still a D or R. 2016 New Republcian elected and whole debt limit debate switches sides again. This time yourself and the liberals saying "we need to quit spending".

Last edited by panerd : 07-01-2011 at 11:12 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #266
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I will offer a third option. Repubs cave at the least minute and several vote to "save the world economy".

Which is what I've expected all along.

Which is why not only am I not worked up over the "clock is ticking" mantra but also not particularly excited about what I fully expect will be a temporary (and thoroughly hollow) show of backbone.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #267
JediKooter
Coordinator

That would not surprise me panerd. The democrats and republicans have flip flopped on the whole filibuster issue and (I think) campaign contribution issue as well. I'd just add the whole debt limit debate to that list too. If the democrats were arguing that chocolate ice cream is the answer, the republicans would say that it's really vanilla and 2 years from now, the democrats would be saying that vanilla is the answer and republicans would argue that chocolate is the correct answer. This is one of the main reasons that I have little to no respect for either party.

Neither side has shown any ability when it comes to leadership, they are governing by, "argument de jour" instead. If both sides were at all serious about finding a solution, partisan politics would be pretty much a non factor. Instead, we have 535 people holding over 300 million american citizens hostage over this debt limit issue, because the elections are coming up.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 07-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #268
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Tea Party and major contributors.

Major contributors have tax dodges. Tea Party folks have the belief they're going to win the lottery someday.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #269
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
That would not surprise me panerd. The democrats and republicans have flip flopped on the whole filibuster issue and (I think) campaign contribution issue as well.

I don't think there's been a flip on campaign finance reform. The filibuster, OTOH, is one of those things that's always going to piss off whoever's in power enough to seriously consider trying to change the Senate rules to remove it, and then they realize once the other guys take power that, hey, this ain't so bad after all.

It's the old saw about "never give yourself power you don't want your opponents to have and use."
Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #270
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't think there's been a flip on campaign finance reform. The filibuster, OTOH, is one of those things that's always going to piss off whoever's in power enough to seriously consider trying to change the Senate rules to remove it, and then they realize once the other guys take power that, hey, this ain't so bad after all.

It's the old saw about "never give yourself power you don't want your opponents to have and use."

Ah ok, I wasn't 100% positive if they had or not.

That is a very good quote. Got to think long term sometimes.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #271
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Ah ok, I wasn't 100% positive if they had or not.

That is a very good quote. Got to think long term sometimes.

The last, oh, six years or so have been as compelling a picture as you could ever paint of that.

Remember the Republicans discussing the "nuclear option" when the Democrats were threatening filibuster over some of Bush's federal judge appointees?

Can you imagine, had they done that, and Obama had won the White House and the majorities he had in the House/Senate between 2008-2010, if the Republicans hadn't been able to filibuster nearly everything? That would be, like...an order of magnitude increase in the GOP's current level of crazy, I have to think. Minimum.

Rick Perry's "LOL we should secede" might have actually been attempted.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #272
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The last, oh, six years or so have been as compelling a picture as you could ever paint of that.

Remember the Republicans discussing the "nuclear option" when the Democrats were threatening filibuster over some of Bush's federal judge appointees?

Can you imagine, had they done that, and Obama had won the White House and the majorities he had in the House/Senate between 2008-2010, if the Republicans hadn't been able to filibuster nearly everything? That would be, like...an order of magnitude increase in the GOP's current level of crazy, I have to think. Minimum.

Oh, just to follow up on this thought - health care reform in particular took the shape it did because of the need to plan around the filibuster. What form would it have taken without that, say?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #273
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Probably close to the same form. There were plenty of moderate Dems willing to block a public option. Bacchus had a lot of control of the final bill due to his committee and he seemed to favor the kind of package that passed.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #274
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh, just to follow up on this thought - health care reform in particular took the shape it did because of the need to plan around the filibuster. What form would it have taken without that, say?

We would've at least got the public option. Maybe without the filibuster Obama tries to go even further than that. Hard to say.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #275
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

But the use of the filibuster for nearly every vote is new. I still favor a filibuster, but it needs to be costly to use. The problem with the current rules is that the filibustering party takes no hit for using what should be an extreme alternative.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #276
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I said a while back that the real solution to the filibuster issue is to go back to old school rules. If you want to filibuster, then you have to sustain it 24/7. Stay up around the clock. Lose sleep. Lose time with your family. Miss those expensive lobbyist dinners. If we got it back to that, then it'd only be used at really important times.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #277
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

This is why I have little to no faith that anything worthy is going to get done. Yes, the economy/jobs needs to be fixed, but, when both side are more worried about toeing the party line instead of making hard choices, this back and forth will never end. Republicans don't want to raise taxes? Ok, democrats should think of a compromise. Democrats want to raise taxes? The republicans should think of a compromise. Neither side should be saying our way or the highway. Fire them all I say or at the very least, keep the ones that aren't more worried about their re-election chances than doing their job.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #278
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Probably close to the same form. There were plenty of moderate Dems willing to block a public option. Bacchus had a lot of control of the final bill due to his committee and he seemed to favor the kind of package that passed.

But two things.

1) Without a filibuster, there's no ability to block the vote to try and get a sweetheart deal for your constituents (see: Nelson, Ben) even if it's your own party leadership pushing the bill. Unless you're on the committee, but that's a different ball of wax entirely.

2) Did he favor the bill that passed because that's what he thought he could get, or did he favor it because he thought that was better than, say, a pure public option?
Old 07-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #279
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I've personally been pretty critical of a lot of what Obama has done so far, but I think the strategy on the debt limit has been brilliant.

He's going to put together a package that increases the debt limit, includes a trillion dollars or so in cuts and probably a tax increase on ridiculous incomes of $1 million or more. He's going to pick up the votes he needs from Republicans in moderate districts and states.

In 2012, he's going to be able to campaign that he cut the deficit and got somthing done while the The Tea Party voted against a massive cut in federal spending. It's the same strategy the Dems used on Bush in '91, forcing him to accept tax increases against his "read my lips" pledge.

The risk is that the economy doesn't improve in the next 12 months and voters blame it on this deal.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 07-01-2011 at 07:06 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #280
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. Good ole Ronny Paul is not running for re-election to focus on his presidential bid.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #281
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Well Huckabee is not running, but came across this article I clipped out in 1997:

Tornado Theology Ties Up Arkansas Disaster Relief
March 22, 1997| From Associated Press

Is a tornado an act of God?

Gov. Mike Huckabee believes that his God would never inflict such evil. State lawmakers insist that God must be responsible. And tornado victims just want the bickering over a disaster relief bill to end so they can rebuild their lives.

"I'm trying to get my residence set up. . . . The state can do more," grumbled Charles Dunn, 20, who lost his mobile home and his parents' trailer in the March 1 storms that spun off dozens of tornadoes and killed 25 people.

Huckabee, a Republican and Baptist minister, told the bill's sponsors that he couldn't approve it because it referred to "acts of God." He wanted the phrase changed to "natural disasters," calling it "a matter of deep conscience to me to attribute in law a destructive and deadly force as being an 'act of God.' "

"It's a matter of conscience," Huckabee said Friday. "I refuse to walk through tornado damage and to say that what destroyed it was God and what built it back was only human beings. I saw God protect a lot of people, save a lot of people. That's an act of God too."

Arkansas' House, after debating God's role in the world, decided to use both phrases side by side.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #282
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

A few interesting items over the past few days.

Herman Cain said that Southerners have a problem with Romney's religion. I think it's true, but I'm surprised he went there.

Today a PPP poll showed Bachmann leading, but coming in second if Palin joins the race. That's got to hurt Romney especially after his not great fundraising numbers.

But, the Politico ran a hit piece on Bachmann today from unnamed insiders. They claim she has terrible, debilitating headaches that keep her from working for days at a time. They say the worry is that Obama will use this info in the general to beat her.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #283
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Obama wouldn't even NEED to use it if Bachmann was his opponent. It'd be a monkey stomp of epic proportions.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #284
miked
College Starter

I can't believe people thought Herman Cain would be the darkhorse. I know you can energize your base by saying you don't trust Muslims and will force them to take loyalty oaths on the rare chance you hire one...but that doesn't really sound like somebody people will comfortable with as president.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #285
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I can't believe people thought Herman Cain would be the darkhorse. I know you can energize your base by saying you don't trust Muslims and will force them to take loyalty oaths on the rare chance you hire one...but that doesn't really sound like somebody people will comfortable with as president.

And now he's gone even further by saying it should be legal to ban Mosques. He's really run the worst campaign of anyone save Gingrich so far. He started off as a reasonable true fiscal conservative and now his campaign has been defined by being the anti-muslim candidate. And he doesn't even seem to be trying to change that message.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And he doesn't even seem to be trying to change that message.

Why would he, it's a message that resonates quite strongly with a significant portion of primary voters (and is one of the most appealing aspects of his candidacy for me thus far). He's still a distant 2nd option at best, but at least it's keeping him in the game.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #287
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Why would he, it's a message that resonates quite strongly with a significant portion of primary voters (and is one of the most appealing aspects of his candidacy for me thus far). He's still a distant 2nd option at best, but at least it's keeping him in the game.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #288
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well, racist fucks are racist fucks, but this country isn't going to elect one of them as president. Herman Cain's running on idiocy, not merit.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #289
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Herman Cain's running on idiocy, not merit.

He's running on common sense, alas, it just ain't that common any more. That'll be where the problem arises electorally.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #290
Klinglerware
College Starter

Just saw footage from that Rick Perry prayer rally. My initial and immediate thought was "antichrist". His PR people should fire whoever was in charge of his makeup and lighting.

Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #291
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Read: It appeals to dumb redneck fucks.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #292
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:

Just wow.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #293
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Read: It appeals to dumb redneck fucks.

I'd been wondering where my lil' touchstone was. There's little that fills me with more confidence about the correctness of a position than your disapproval.

"Warm afterglow" would be overstating it, but it's a really really watered down version of the same concept.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-07-2011 at 09:58 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Just saw footage from that Rick Perry prayer rally. My initial and immediate thought was "antichrist". His PR people should fire whoever was in charge of his makeup and lighting.

Egads, that is bad.

Probably not his people though, probably done by the ones running the event (I'm guessing that's from whatever conference he was a guest speaker at).
Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #295
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
"Uh, Mike." At the time I said that, Cain hadn't made any of those comments. He's a very bright guy, and I, for one, thought he was bright enough to steer clear of making statements like that. I hold to my contention that if he had stuck with his original message, he would be faring much better than he is.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #296
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
"Uh, Mike." At the time I said that, Cain hadn't made any of those comments. He's a very bright guy, and I, for one, thought he was bright enough to steer clear of making statements like that. I hold to my contention that if he had stuck with his original message, he would be faring much better than he is.

Before his comment(s) about Muslims in the cabinet really started getting national press (early/mid June best I can tell from Googling) RCP had him at somewhere in the 7% of primary voters range. Less than a month later he peaked at just over 10%. He's settling right back just under 7% again.
Even with the lag inherent to the RCP cumulative polling data method, there wasn't much indication that it hurt him with primary voters & if anything enhanced his standing.

Too early for me to be comfortable making a call on how much his recent backtracking will hurt him, that timeframe hasn't even shown up in most polls yet & his decline seems to more be attributable to surges by other candidates taking support from him rather than him losing it on his own.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #297
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

And the thought that such rhetoric appeals to dumb people isn't necessarily true. Mike likely isn't considering who votes in primaries, which is the distinction Jon made there. My in-laws and their friends would be the perfect example. My father-in-law is graduate of Duke and Duke Medical, and did his residency and several years of teaching at Johns Hopkins. Most of his friends have similar credentials. And the big hot button among his buddies in the last 9 months or so? Yup, how the Muslims are trying to infiltrate and take over America. And last I checked the 60-75 age range still dominates the primaries. Yeah, this is just one guy and one group of friends, but it is indicative that the broad assumption Mike is making about the demographic that eats that sort of talk up doesn't really hold water. And really, "dumb redneck fucks" don't vote in primaries. Heck, most of them don't know when they are.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #298
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Heck, most of them don't know when they are.

Or haven't had their voting rights restored
Old 08-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #299
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Egads, that is bad.

Probably not his people though, probably done by the ones running the event (I'm guessing that's from whatever conference he was a guest speaker at).

He was no guest speaker. This was an event that he himself planned and championed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 08-07-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: typo
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #300
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
He was no guest speaker. This was an event that he himself planned and championed.

My bad then, let the firings begin.

(I had figured it for a speaking engagement, shows how closely I was following it I suppose)