Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #951
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Leaving tomorrow for a Saturday night stopover at my in-laws before finishing the drive to Nashville for Slammiversary on Sunday.

Honestly, I'm kind of meh about it, but there's a 9 year old upstairs who you'd think was going to see Thesz vs Flair in an Iron Man match or something.

This was for him anyway so that's cool but I'm feeling the urge to stifle some yawns already.

Lethal seems certain to go over Sabin (unless we get a Sonjay full heel turn out of the Ghandi gimmick), Frank Wycheck in a match does <0 for me, I can't imagine the Dudleys vs Rick Steiner/? will amount to much either at this point.
And I'd be very surprised if Angle doesn't win the title (although I'm mildly curious to see who the 5th man is, Jarrett? X-Pac? Or an actual surprise?). Problem is, I really have no interest in seeing Angle at this point.

Young should beat Roode & that'll be kind of fun for a few minutes of silly marking over, and Daniels/Sting could be good if Stinger brings his work boots & Daniels doesn't have to slow down too much for him. Maybe I'll be completely surprised & enjoy the heck out of the show itself (I know I'll enjoy watching my son enjoy it) but right now I'm just not expecting a whole lot, which is kind of depressing in a way.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #952
duff88
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Leaving tomorrow for a Saturday night stopover at my in-laws before finishing the drive to Nashville for Slammiversary on Sunday.

Honestly, I'm kind of meh about it, but there's a 9 year old upstairs who you'd think was going to see Thesz vs Flair in an Iron Man match or something.

This was for him anyway so that's cool but I'm feeling the urge to stifle some yawns already.

Lethal seems certain to go over Sabin (unless we get a Sonjay full heel turn out of the Ghandi gimmick), Frank Wycheck in a match does <0 for me, I can't imagine the Dudleys vs Rick Steiner/? will amount to much either at this point.
And I'd be very surprised if Angle doesn't win the title (although I'm mildly curious to see who the 5th man is, Jarrett? X-Pac? Or an actual surprise?). Problem is, I really have no interest in seeing Angle at this point.

Young should beat Roode & that'll be kind of fun for a few minutes of silly marking over, and Daniels/Sting could be good if Stinger brings his work boots & Daniels doesn't have to slow down too much for him. Maybe I'll be completely surprised & enjoy the heck out of the show itself (I know I'll enjoy watching my son enjoy it) but right now I'm just not expecting a whole lot, which is kind of depressing in a way.

I'd like to know if you enjoyed it? I rarely watch TNA, and sometimes watch WWE and I thought Slamminervasary was a great PPV. The final match was really exciting if you compare with what you get in WWE. AJ Styles is great!
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #953
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff88 View Post
I'd like to know if you enjoyed it?

I guess we enjoyed most of it other than the outcomes. The business/booker side of me understands it, but the fan side of me (and my son) was kind of bummed with most of the results.

Not sure how things came across on TV but a few thoughts from sitting there live (good seats for us btw, back row of the floor risers work great when you're 9 yrs old & otherwise couldn't have seen over anybody if sitting lower).

-- Under the circumstances, the choice of Animal for the tag title match worked very well. The chants for LOD were significant as the crowd appreciated the opportunity to see him (and Rick) again. Also, contrary to what at least one online recap I've read so far indicated, the "3-D Sucks" chant was not widespread, actually came entirely from a group of 20-30 fans at ringside, same group that face popped for LAX.

-- Sting got the bigger pop for his entrance, and for the win, but the Fallen Angel chants matched the Let's Go Sting chants note for note. Should have put Daniels over last night.

-- Vanden Bosch got a bigger pop than Wycheck. Thankfully, the match wasn't as painful to watch as I expected, although the botched move at the end was kind of scary for a split second (Wycheck did everything except drop him). But it clearly did what they wanted to do (albeit later than they would have liked) as every local TV station in town had news cameras there for that one match.

-- The tribute to Jarrett's wife was well received by the crowd, and on the whole, seemed appropriate to me.

-- Styles bumped looked sick, but the Abyss-Tomko spot from the light tower was very high up & damned good ... right up until the fabric tore away & we could see just how much cardboard was there to pad the fall. All that was missing was styrofoam peanuts or bubblewrap or something. Really sucked the heat out of that match.

-- Shelly made a comedy match work nicely, he & Sabin will be fun as a full-time team if they give them some people to work with. The fact they brought Dutt out but then did zero with him made no sense at all.

-- Rhino's spear looks a lot quicker & more explosive in person than it usually does on TV.

-- Vince Russo spent most of the night sitting in the first couple of rows in our section (behind & a bit to the right of the announcers table) or pacing in the aisle beneath us. Also, while I was taking a smoke break during the VKM match, I saw the LAX guys preparing their run-in out on the concourse (our portal was the last one accessible to the public before the barricades that secure the backstage area), and got a kick out of watching Hernandez selling the shots to the leg he took earlier. He & Homicide both would at least nod to the few fans milling around that area to acknowledge them until Konnan walked over & pulled them out of sight. Then security sent me to the next portal to get back in, only to have the beatdown of Hector Guerrero be right in front of me & between me and my seat. Earlier, while winding through the long line around the building to get in, we watched Ron Killings eating his dinner and then a few minutes later saw him ducked out on the loading dock with a cellphone in one hand & a cigarette in the other.

-- Saw a couple of the NWA-Anarchy guys at the show, one I didn't recognize until he was too far away but called across the concession line to the other & pointed out that my son had worn his Anarchy shirt to the show which got a big grin & thumbs up for him.

-- The venue itself was good for wrestling, sized for a good view from most anywhere. Only negative (and it was a real clusterfuck) was the decision to open only a single concession stand along with a couple of carts. Lines were 30 minutes+ leading up to the show, meaning that a lot of people were stuck outside for the entire pre-show (no great loss, short intergender match with Tracy Brooks) and even part of the opening.

-- Will ended up with a couple of t-shirts, the new ones for Cage & Styles.

-- Took almost exactly six hours to drive back today, which is about three times my personal car tolerance, but it was a good trip overall & it's always good to see your kid enjoy themselves that much. Quality father-son time indeed.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #954
DeToxRox
Head Coach

King Booker on Raw is the best thing ever.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #955
Flasch186
Coordinator

Sandman is trashed (im watching on Tivo, so im behind)

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #956
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Sandman is trashed

Somebody call CNN
Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #957
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mr. Kennedy has always been a favorite of mine, and is going to make the WWE a lot of money. He is simply put, phenominal.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:25 PM   #958
Flasch186
Coordinator

agreed

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #959
Flasch186
Coordinator

the bitch is back, yeah!!!

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #960
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Mr. Kennedy has always been a favorite of mine, and is going to make the WWE a lot of money. He is simply put, phenominal.

agreed. it sucks that they wont have a Kennedy/Edge fued. those are the only 2 reasons to watch the show. but at least they are keeping Kennedy a heal for now
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 AM   #961
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Mr. Vincent KENNEDY McMahon! KENNEDY!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:01 AM   #962
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
the bitch is back, yeah!!!

always liked her, but did anyone else think she was packing a little extra junk in the trunk?
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #963
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
always liked her, but did anyone else think she was packing a little extra junk in the trunk?

yea, but so what. she was never a skinny chick anyways. keep in mind she had a baby a little while ago
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #964
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Agreed, I think he could end up being the next big thing for WWE. He already might be the best in WWE at working the crowd. Happy he's on Raw now. With Kennedy, Benoit, London and Kendrick all off Smackdown, I really don't have a reason to watch that show now.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #965
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
With Kennedy, Benoit, London and Kendrick all off Smackdown, I really don't have a reason to watch that show now.

They still have Funaki.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #967
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
agreed. it sucks that they wont have a Kennedy/Edge fued. those are the only 2 reasons to watch the show. but at least they are keeping Kennedy a heal for now

I'm sure we'll see Kennedy/Edge - probably at next year's Mania.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #968
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

Yep. About 10-15 more pounds in the right areas, and she'll be Officially Schmidty-ified illegally hot.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #969
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I won't go into detail in case there's anybody who doesn't like spoilers, but there's certainly some "I didn't see that coming" stuff from the TNA tapings tonight. I might have anticipated where they ended up but I'll admit that I didn't even think about this route to getting there. And the early reviews are unusually strong for the 6/28 main event match.

Meanwhile, tnawrestlingnews.com is reporting that wrestlingobserver.com is reporting that both Konnan & Ron Killings quit TNA before tonight's tapings, with plans to go full-time in Mexico with AAA.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #970
DeToxRox
Head Coach

At ROH's show on the 9th in Philly, some say Nigel McGuiness and Bryan Danielson put on potentially the companies next five star match. During the match Danielson was busted open from some vicious headbutts. Thanks to a poster on the ROH Board, this is what Danielson looked like for half of the match. A match I'd suggest people look for when it's released.

Also, it will be on ROH's 2nd PPV so definetly check that out in September.

Double note: The first ROH PPV airs starting July 1.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #971
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

I hope that in light of Chris Benoit's tragic death, the WWE reasseses where they stand with regards to the McMahon death angle, and just scrap it altogether.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:27 PM   #972
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Amid all the turmoil of the past couple of weeks, TNA has quietly put together a pair of very good shows with the Angle/Cage/Rhino full length match last week and then the LAX/3D/Styles & Daniels match tonight.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #973
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I happened to notice something on PWInsider's "This Day In History"
http://pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=25331&p=1
It really took me back, although it feels like more than 9 years ago, because I was there for what was, and still is, the loudest noise I've ever heard. Cheap seats way up high, with the boss of what turned out to be my last full-time radio station gig. When you can feel the floor of a building the size of the Dome shake, you know it's loud. (only other thing that compares in my lifetime was being at Fulton County Stadium the night Sid slid).

...1998 - The largest crowd in WCW history attended Monday Nitro at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia. The show, headlined by Bill Goldberg defeating Hollywood Hogan for the WCW World Heavyweight Title, drew 41,412 fans. The show did a 4.93 rating for TNT.

By comparison, Raw that night did a 4.0 on USA Network for a show headlined by The Undertaker defeating Mankind & Kane in a handicap match.

Here are the full results for both shows:

Nitro: WCW Television Champion Booker T defeated Dean Malenko. ... Raven defeated Kanyon via DQ. ... Scott Putski defeated Scotty Riggs .... WCW Cruiserweight Champion Chris Jericho defeated Ultimo Dragon via DQ. ... Chavo Guerrero, Jr. defeated Johnny Swinger. ... Public Enemy defeated Alex Wright & Disco Inferno via DQ. ... United States Champion Bill Goldberg defeated Scott Hall. ... Juventud Guerrera defeated Psicosis. ... The Giant defeated Hacksaw Duggan. ... Diamond Dallas Page defeated Jim Neidhart. ... Lex Luger & Sting defeated Sickboy & Billy Kidman in less than thirty seconds. ... Bill Goldberg defeated Hulk Hogan to win the WCW World Heavyweight Title.

Raw: Savio Vega defeated Brakkus in a Brawl For All match. ...Ken Shamrock defeated Jeff Jarrett via DQ. ...Vader vs. Bradshaw ended in a no-contest. ... The DOA defeated The Headbangers. ... D'Lo Brown defeated Terry Funk. ... Hawk vs. Droz went to a draw in a Brawl For All match ...Val Venis defeated Dustin Runnels via DQ. ... Ken Shamrock defeated Mabel. ...The Undertaker defeated Mankind and Kane.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #974
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I could have sworn Goldberg had like 3 matches that night as there was some sort of gauntlet to get to Hogan and the belt.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #975
wade moore
lolzcat

This was during my Wrestling Fan height... I haven't watched a single minute in over a year and it's been probably around 5 or so since I watched with any semblence of regularity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #976
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I remember thinking at the time that Goldberg and Hall got a little stiff with each other. At one point Hall seemed to break character a bit and actually slapped him around a bit at one point, and Goldberg gave him some stiff shots later. Did anyone ever hear if there was a mini-shoot in that match?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #977
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{sniff}
Hmm, what is that smell?

{sniff}
I think I smell a swerve coming up at the Great American Bash in the Orton/Rhodes match.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #978
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, this might be the strangest combination I've ever run across as either a pro wrestling fan OR someone involved in the media business.

Here's the YouTube link with the announcement
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FgTK9Zooqpk

In a nutshell, NWA Exec. Dir. Bob Trobich announced that the NWA would be returning to national television in a couple of months, appearing on ColoursTV.

Now, here's a link to the network (which is apparently available mostly on DishNetwork) http://www.colourstv.org/

Just for the sake of getting some of this out of my head (better here than on the NWA official forum, at least for now):

1) Exactly how in the blue bloody hell does the heritage brand of pro wrestling end up cutting a deal with an African-American owned network run by a non-profit corporation "for civic, charitable, and educational purposes"? I mean, I know "how" - it was something negotiated by the NWA's new TV partner Big Vision, I get that part -- but ... how on earth did these two get connected? I'd love to have heard that first pitch meeting.

2) Will the NWA product be changed to help "promote positive images and programming by and for people of color; to foster greater understanding and harmony in today's diverse world", which is the mission statement of the network? And if so, exactly what in the heck would that product look like?

3) I suppose it's possible that this is nothing more or less than a time buy in the overnight hours, but from looking at the network's schedule, there's no sign that they're currently selling anything like that. Maybe that's the "in a couple of months" delay, and the network is cash strapped or something and is planning to start running paid programming, but still this seems odd.

4) Is there a more unusual pairing than old-school pro wrestling and a network whose list of major sponsors includes The Black United Fund, the Denver branch of the NAACP, The Gay & Lesbian Fund of Colorado, The Greater Denver Ministerial Alliance, and the Urban League of Metro Denver? This makes ECW look like it was a perfect fit for SciFi by comparison.

If you had asked me to name 100 networks where an as yet non-existent NWA program would appear nationally, I don't believe this one would have made the list. Truly, I'm just flabbergasted at this announcement.

edit to add: And before anybody even starts down that road, if it's a program featuring nothing but a token white guy or something, that's cool by me. Hell, I watch AAA on Galavision & I don't really speak a word of Spanish that isn't wrestling related (rudo, technico, etc) ... but it still seems like both a very unusual notion for a US based wrestling program, but one that seems at least like a reasonable possibility for the eventual direction of the show. Otherwise, the only way I can see this getting on the network would be the aforementioned paid programming route.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-10-2007 at 12:36 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #979
duckman
Pro Starter

Pretty bush league by O'Reilly yesterday with saying that Linda McMahon would be on the show, but turned out to be an interview from 2002.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:08 PM   #980
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
2) Will the NWA product be changed to help "promote positive images and programming by and for people of color; to foster greater understanding and harmony in today's diverse world", which is the mission statement of the network? And if so, exactly what in the heck would that product look like?
Um... the exact, 100% opposite of the WWE over the last 30 years?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #981
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TNA's Victory Road PPV didn't provide too much in the way of great matches surprises but it had it's moments.

The 10 man Ultimate X #1 conteners battle royal to open the show was the best thing of the night for me. Highlight of the match had to be Kaz's diamond cutter on Daniels, who was hanging upside down off the scaffold when Kaz launched himself from the corner to initiate the move. Nice to see Puma get a few minutes of TV time in this one. Daniels eventually recovers & wins the match as it appears that Triple X has reformed, with Senshi & the returning Elix Skipper joining Fallen Angel for a post-match celebration.

VKM beats the Basham's, but the real point to the match was the introduction of "The Voodoo Queen Roxxi Laveaux" as the newest member of VKM (whose purpose for both kayfabe & reality is to avoid male-on-female violence). Gotta love the crowd reaction to her too, as they chanted "What is THAT?" at the strange appearance of the white voodoo queen.

Devon cuts a great promo, best talking spot of the night, as he waxes enthusiastic about his shot at the World HW Title. Ray says he's winning the X title since he's the innovator of "the Asai triple moonsault with a Lindy twist" and weights in at "three hundred ... ish".

James Storm over Rhino, big beatdown & hosing with a pony keg follows.

Backlund loses his freakin' mind backstage in promoland ... and then Jerry Lynn loses to Sabin & Shelley, courtesy of a big boot from Kevin Nash.

Angle beats up Lethal backstage.

Eric & Gail over Roode & Brooks, as Kim covers Tracy. Roode blames Brooks for the loss, pushes her around a little before she leaves. Eric returns to pants Roode, revealing that he's wearing a thong.

Angle beats up Sonjay backstage.

Christian Cage over Chris Harris after Tomko distracts the ref while Dustin Rhodes runs-in and blast Wildcat in the head with a pair of handcuffs.

Sting & Abyss over Styles & Tomko. James Mitchell appears on the ramp, telling the pair to celebrate while they can because the clock is ticking.

Angle beats up Havok and Mar ... eh, screw that. Angle beat up Johnny Devine & Matt Bentley. {insert random thought here -- Raven ought to come after Kurt for that little stunt. It would make sense, get Raven in the ring for at least one match on Impact and losing to Angle wouldn't hurt his status & would at least give us a different match}

Samoa Joe is the new TNA World Tag Team Champion (partner TBD) after pinning Ray. Dudleys teased a break-up early in the match, only to reveal that it was just a mind game. Angle busted out a moonsault bur Ray made the save. Dueling ankle locks produce no finish. 3D on Angle, but Rick Steiner pulled ref Earl Hebner out of the ring, and Scott Steiner blasts Ray with a lead pipe. Joe goes for the pin, Angle attacks Joe, who in turn recovers to clip the leg of Angle during an Olympic Slam attempt, Joe then covers Ray for the 1-2-3.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-15-2007 at 10:42 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:17 AM   #982
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Did anyone catch Kevin Nash on Fox news? That was some funny shit.

"So, Mr. Nash, you've taken steroids before?"

"Yes. Yes I have."

"Have you ever seen roid rage?"

In the most deadpan reaction EVER. "No."

***awkward dead silence***

LOL. And to end the interview, the girl started saying that Nash's claim of not seeing roid rage was not credible.

Nash gets PISSED, and calls the girl out, asking if she's ever taken steroids. The girl says no... and Nash berates her for calling him not credible when she hasn't taken steroids and starts questioning him, when Nash says that he HAS taken steroids and he's NEVER seen roid rage.

Funny shit. I think it's on Youtube.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #983
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Did anyone catch Kevin Nash on Fox news? That was some funny shit.
Is this it?

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Nfr3KrMlM
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #984
molson
General Manager

The WWE's incredibly unlucky 2007 continues, as Edge is out with a torn pectoral muscle, and will have to vacate the title tonight at the Smackdown taping. It's been reported that a battle royal will determine the new world heavyweight champion.

I hope they don't put it on Batista again, but I think they will. Any other Smackdown guy would be somewhat surprising (Khali, Henry, Flair, Finlay, Hardy, Kane, MVP). They could also bring over Orton or Kennedy from Raw.

Edit: From PWInsider, the favorites are "Mark Henry, Matt Hardy, Batista, or a returning Rey Mysterio".

Last edited by molson : 07-17-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #985
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The WWE's incredibly unlucky 2007 continues, as Edge is out with a torn pectoral muscle, and will have to vacate the title tonight at the Smackdown taping. It's been reported that a battle royal will determine the new world heavyweight champion.

I hope they don't put it on Batista again, but I think they will. Any other Smackdown guy would be somewhat surprising (Khali, Henry, Flair, Finlay, Hardy, Kane, MVP). They could also bring over Orton or Kennedy from Raw.

Edit: From PWInsider, the favorites are "Mark Henry, Matt Hardy, Batista, or a returning Rey Mysterio".

Seriously? WTF? I haven't watched any WWE for a couple of months, but Matt hardy as champ? That would be a stretch...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #986
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

actually, Hardy's had a great run lately and the crowd really gets into his matches.

BTW, I read the spoilers for the next two weeks of Impact tapings. My head just asploded, I think TNA was going for the "most turns in one angle with absolutely no explanation" record.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #987
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Seriously? WTF? I haven't watched any WWE for a couple of months, but Matt hardy as champ? That would be a stretch...

It would still be something of a stretch, but he's in the middle of the biggest singles push of his career right now, so I guess it wouldn't be shocking.

New reports now - a few hours before taping, the plan is apparently to give the title to Khali.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #988
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

I think TNA was going for the "most turns in one angle with absolutely no explanation" record.

That's a bold statement, WCW 1999-2000 set a pretty lofty standard in this area.

Last edited by molson : 07-17-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #989
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I think TNA was going for the "most turns in one angle with absolutely no explanation" record.

I'm guessing you mean the tag team, umm, "conference" in the second hour.
Actually all of that except one (where a heel thanked fans for their support) has been in the works for a while, regardless of whether I believe it's been unreasonably influenced by a small minority of fans at the Orlando tapings.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #990
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
New reports now - a few hours before taping, the plan is apparently to give the title to Khali.

Interesting since I was just talking this morning about how I thought the outcome of the Khali-Batista angle would determine which would be pushed & which would be officially de-pushed. Maybe now they both keep their push regardless?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #991
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's a bold statement, WCW 1999-2000 set a pretty lofty standard in this area.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 07-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #992
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Interesting since I was just talking this morning about how I thought the outcome of the Khali-Batista angle would determine which would be pushed & which would be officially de-pushed. Maybe now they both keep their push regardless?

I think they'll do Batista/Khali/Kane at the Bash and Batista will win, so ya, Khali gets the title here to save a little face. With Batista and Khali both coming out losers in their last big angles, that was going to be an important feud, but now the WWE can avoid a clear resolution.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #993
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

SirFoz - I'm not sure that actually turned/turns the last team that arrived in the spoiler though. Then again, I'm not entirely sure that anybody knows (including them) what the heck they're supposed to be anyway.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #994
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think they'll do Batista/Khali/Kane at the Bash and Batista will win

I think my son just summed it up pretty well (when I told him about Edge) -- "well, my Smackdown viewing just went waaaaay down".

I'm hard pressed to imagine a less compelling trio to watch work than those, although Mark Henry could be substituted for any of them & match that description.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #995
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I think my son just summed it up pretty well (when I told him about Edge) -- "well, my Smackdown viewing just went waaaaay down".

I'm hard pressed to imagine a less compelling trio to watch work than those, although Mark Henry could be substituted for any of them & match that description.

I'm a WWE apologist, and you couldn't pay me to watch that match.

And I wouldn't even mind a Khali or Henry title run, I think both can be entertaining in the right situations.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #996
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think they'll do Batista/Khali/Kane at the Bash and Batista will win, so ya, Khali gets the title here to save a little face. With Batista and Khali both coming out losers in their last big angles, that was going to be an important feud, but now the WWE can avoid a clear resolution.

Batista and Kane are having a match at the tapings tonight to see who gets the title shot at the Bash.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #997
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Batista and Kane are having a match at the tapings tonight to see who gets the title shot at the Bash.

Spoiler
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #998
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It really kind of galls me to say this, considering my accent, but there aren't any better wrestling crowds in the US than the ones in the northeast. So say I after watching just a few minutes of the first ROH PPV.

They just get into more than I see anywhere else. Or at least they get into it in a way that's more in line with how I watch wrestling. They don't give a damn who you are if you can get it done in the ring.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #999
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
It really kind of galls me to say this, considering my accent, but there aren't any better wrestling crowds in the US than the ones in the northeast. So say I after watching just a few minutes of the first ROH PPV.

They just get into more than I see anywhere else. Or at least they get into it in a way that's more in line with how I watch wrestling. They don't give a damn who you are if you can get it done in the ring.

Be ready to have your mind blown by the Briscoes
Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #1000
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Be ready to have your mind blown by the Briscoes

I haven't seen this match, but I have seen them. It's still small but we're starting to develop quite a little collection of ROH, FIP, and PWG dvd's around here