Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #101
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
No lynch on day 1 is actually worse for the wolves than for the village. I'm surprised Barkeep doesn't realize this.
Really? I'd love to hear more on this as it's not been my experience. In games where I've offered a no lynch option, Spawn and To Crown a King, the wolves have benefited from the no lynch, and the villagers from lynching, on the whole. I believe this to be true in other games which have offered no lynch options as well.

As path points out I think information is the key to Werewolf. Information is gained in multiple ways, and lynching someone is an important way. But it seems as though I am going to be once again in the minority on this one, so not much I can do. But I would support virtually any lynch.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #102
Barkeep49
Coordinator

BTW I am of the opinion, along with Alan, that revealing one's name is potentially dangerous and this is why I have not encouraged those reveals or done so myself.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #103
Barkeep49
Coordinator

DOLA -- Correction, err not with Alan, with hoops.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #104
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I never can decide whether it is or is not better to go No Lynch. And although we will have to share info eventually to make the big items wonders if that info is more to the sect's advantage than ours. Remember as Pass said (I think) They are the only ones that knows any spells at the moment. and might be coveting some of the items we have mentioned.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #105
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
BTW I am of the opinion, along with Alan, that revealing one's name is potentially dangerous and this is why I have not encouraged those reveals or done so myself.

But..your post right before this said information is the key to werewolf. I can understand not revealing items, but names? What do you think can happen from revealing names?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #106
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
But..your post right before this said information is the key to werewolf. I can understand not revealing items, but names? What do you think can happen from revealing names?
Names in many magically based worlds have special meaning and significance. By knowing someone's true name you're able to gain control and power over that person. The fact that we were each given a name, but this was not revealed publicly, leads me to believe this might be true here. I see no potential upside to stating my name, unlike with items where I think it will allow us to coordinate.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #107
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I doubt that people will be able to gain control and power over someone -- I just don't see that kind of thing happening here. On the other hand, my hunch is that some patterns can be seen in these names -- maybe something will be different about the names of the sect members, or maybe they won't even have names, and we'll be able to spot their fake names.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #108
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I agree that I dont think revealing names will benefit the wolves in any way. But I do feel that if we say no lynch we are just prolonging a day one vote. I do not see the benefit in saying no vote, so if somebody can tell me how a no vote helps the villagers, then I will also no vote.... but I think right now I am going to have to vote with whoever Barkeep votes for, just to ensure a lynch tonight.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #109
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
On the other hand, my hunch is that some patterns can be seen in these names -- maybe something will be different about the names of the sect members, or maybe they won't even have names, and we'll be able to spot their fake names.

IMO, if the wolves do not have names and the rest of us do, or if there is an easy pattern to determine who is who by name only, the game is broken.

I can easily buy into the idea of names = opportunity for control though.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #110
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
I doubt that people will be able to gain control and power over someone -- I just don't see that kind of thing happening here. On the other hand, my hunch is that some patterns can be seen in these names -- maybe something will be different about the names of the sect members, or maybe they won't even have names, and we'll be able to spot their fake names.
Really? You don't think there is opportunity for someone to control another person when one of the spell's name is Command? Either you haven't spent much time with the rules (and I admit I'm still VERY fuzzy on them) or you're trying to hide something.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #111
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Dola -- We also shouldn't forget about the potion that is Mind Control.

I mean you can argue that knowing someone's name isn't important to those spells, but I don't think you can argue that there isn't the potential for harm, and I have still yet to hear any potential positive.

I maintain, AGAIN, that while there IS potential harm with the items there is upside as well and we're going to need the trust at some point in order to start crafting the spells/potions that we want.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #112
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Also in the ingredients listed in the rules, Holy water has been renamed to Spring water. The properties of the ingredient or any recipe it is in has remained unchanged, only the name was changed.

This post has confused me for a while -- were the ingredients actually listed in the rules?

Anyway, I hadn't noticed the mind control potion. I guess there has to be something of that sort going on here. Too late, anyway -- my name is out there.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #113
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Ok, I still think we should go after someone. In the past two games Pass has been ON TOP of his game as a villager in both games. He's just so off here I think he might be a wolf. I realize we're clearly headed down the no lynch way, but let me get my suspicion of Pass on the record.

Unvote Lathum
Vote Pass
Old 07-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #114
RendeR
Coordinator

The thing i see is this, if we lynch someone, anyone, we gain the knowledge of that one identity, but probably VERY little else. The second problem with a Lynching is that the odds are its going to be one of us good guys, and again, thats not beneficial.

I don't like fighting long odds trying to get a lucky break on day 1, HOWEVER, if you or a number of people can convince me its really worth it or that we have someone pretty solid as a wolf already (somehow?) then I would be inclined to join a lynch vote.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #115
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

been AWOL. busy day.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #116
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, I still think we should go after someone. In the past two games Pass has been ON TOP of his game as a villager in both games. He's just so off here I think he might be a wolf. I realize we're clearly headed down the no lynch way, but let me get my suspicion of Pass on the record.

Unvote Lathum
Vote Pass

Sounds like a backhanded compliment to me, but I see where you're coming from. I think we've managed to disagree on all three of the main issues going around today. You've got me a little more convinced about the names, but I just don't see us making any headway by trying to figure out recipes as a team -- I figure it just gives the wolves too much room to push us in bad directions. I'm of the same mind regarding lynching -- the wolves will be able to affect the vote while still flying under the radar.

VOTE NO KILL
Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #117
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

bout to head out of work. won't be on till ~7 or 7:30 EDT.

but it seems fairly quiet anyways (likely due to the holiday i'd presume)
Old 07-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #118
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
The thing i see is this, if we lynch someone, anyone, we gain the knowledge of that one identity, but probably VERY little else. The second problem with a Lynching is that the odds are its going to be one of us good guys, and again, thats not beneficial.

I don't like fighting long odds trying to get a lucky break on day 1, HOWEVER, if you or a number of people can convince me its really worth it or that we have someone pretty solid as a wolf already (somehow?) then I would be inclined to join a lynch vote.
See that's what's so alluring about the no kill option. On each individual day this is almost always true. However, we don't get anywhere by taking this position everyday. We need information and lynching someone not only gets us information about that person but also about how people react to voting for that person, or not voting. I guess what I'm saying is that even though tomorrow we'll know more about how to use our ingredients it is unlikely we will know any more that will justify a lynch. And each day without a lynch is an opportunity forever wasted.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #119
path12
Coordinator

I'm not going to vote no kill, and since it's pretty much a futile gesture anyway

VOTE PASS

Personally, I'd rather divulge my ingredient than my name.......but until we get an idea of what goes together to make what, that it's better off keeping everything quiet.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #120
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Good lord, I typed out my vote some 30 minutes ago. My brother just popped in. He just popped out.

I don't like helping the wolves any more than I have to.

Vote No Kill
Old 07-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #121
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Weird. I appear offline.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #122
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Anyhow, I'm not comfortable sharing either. I mean, I'll do it if pressed, but I'd rather not.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #123
Poli
FOFC Survivor

All I want is my little light for the online thing to come on.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #124
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
See that's what's so alluring about the no kill option. On each individual day this is almost always true. However, we don't get anywhere by taking this position everyday. We need information and lynching someone not only gets us information about that person but also about how people react to voting for that person, or not voting. I guess what I'm saying is that even though tomorrow we'll know more about how to use our ingredients it is unlikely we will know any more that will justify a lynch. And each day without a lynch is an opportunity forever wasted.

I don't think anything has said anything about doing it every day. But a Day 1 vote is filled with people voting for pretty lame reasons -- something like being mad at someone from the last game, or hitting up random.org, and the like. Usually on Day 2, we at least have something to go on.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #125
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
See that's what's so alluring about the no kill option. On each individual day this is almost always true. However, we don't get anywhere by taking this position everyday.

Pass beat me to it, but I'm not advocating taking this position everyday. I'm advocating taking this position on day 1.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #126
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

vote pass

Although I bet it doesn't matter
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #127
Poli
FOFC Survivor

By the sounds of it, I'm going to be heading to town to return some "bed in a box" that we never put together and picking up a stove for the house. Not sure when I'll be back.

I hate day 1's.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #128
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm still walking the fence on the day 1 vote, anyone keeping a tally of how the votes are right now?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #129
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I'm still walking the fence on the day 1 vote, anyone keeping a tally of how the votes are right now?

3 Pass and a bunch of no kills.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #130
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Pass beat me to it, but I'm not advocating taking this position everyday. I'm advocating taking this position on day 1.
I'm glad your so optimistic, but I frankly think it's unlikely we'll have any more information, especially since people don't want to share info, tomorrow. My question is what will be different tomorrow than today?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #131
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I'm glad your so optimistic, but I frankly think it's unlikely we'll have any more information, especially since people don't want to share info, tomorrow. My question is what will be different tomorrow than today?

Weren't you, earlier, complaining that people were being too free with info??? Now you're saying people aren't sharing info? I don't understand your point of view, at all.

Anyway, it seems like everybody has at least some limited night action, so I expect that at least some of us will have more information tomorrow.

knives out
Old 07-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #132
st.cronin
General Manager

dola, at any rate I've shared everything I know to this point

knives out
Old 07-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #133
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:

Weren't you, earlier, complaining that people were being too free with info??? Now you're saying people aren't sharing info? I don't understand your point of view, at all.

Anyway, it seems like everybody has at least some limited night action, so I expect that at least some of us will have more information tomorrow.
Oh I have NO doubt there will be more information tomorrow, in terms of spells and such. I don't think people will share it, but it'll be out there.

But that's sort of irrelevant towards finding a wolf, isn't it? I mean in the long run it's not but are people really proposing we hold off lynching until we've got spells together to assist us? Seems like an awful risky strategy to me.

My point is the information out there tomorrow, which might or might not be publicly shared, does NOT help us find a wolf. Therefore we'll either have people suggesting another no lynch day (see my comments about how on any individual day we're more likely to find a villager than wolf) or we'll make an uninformed lynch when we could have had SOME information from today.

Actually that's kind of my point. Lynching provides us with information. Guaranteed. Why are we rejecting that?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #134
st.cronin
General Manager

Barkeep, I believe that a lynch on day 1 almost NEVER provides the village with any useful information, and almost always results in a villager being lynched - usually an important villager.

knives out
Old 07-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #135
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Barkeep, I believe that a lynch on day 1 almost NEVER provides the village with any useful information, and almost always results in a villager being lynched - usually an important villager.
Are you sure it's a D1 lynch or the first lynch? I frankly think the first lynch isn't of great value myself, but some day has to be the first one. Even if we get a guaranteed wolf tomorrow then we'll have gathered little usable info.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #136
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Are you sure it's a D1 lynch or the first lynch? I frankly think the first lynch isn't of great value myself, but some day has to be the first one. Even if we get a guaranteed wolf tomorrow then we'll have gathered little usable info.

I'm talking about D1. If we had had a night 0, I would be pushing people to lynch somebody.

knives out
Old 07-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #137
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Vote Pass

I am going to lean with Barkeep here. If for no other reason than to give us a choice. I also tend to think there is a time that sharing info is a good idea, but day one is NOT it. at least tomorrow some of us will have SOME idea of what these ingredients can make. Until then it is just giving the sect a reason to go after certain ones of us.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #138
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Current vote count:

(7) No kill - Lathum (71), Chief Rum (74), St.cronin (76), swaggs (86), Daddytorgo (98), Passacaglia (116), ardent (120)
(4) Pass - Barkeep (113), Path (119), Lonestargirl (126), ntndeacon (137)
(0) Hoopsguy - Daddytorgo (70)XXX
(0) Lathum - Barkeep (85)XXX

Keep in mind that because of the 4th of july we will have an extended night tonight until 11am EST tommorrow morning. The rules originally stated noon, but I need to do it by 11 instead.

Also remember, everyone should send in a PM to me with which room they wish to spend time in tonight (Great hall, library, kitchen or store room). This can be done now if you want to make sure to get it in on time. Tommorrow's Day period will be extended from 11am EST until July 5th at 10pm EST because of the holiday.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #139
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i's have returned.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #140
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Your first day in the school sparks all kinds of discussion. While some discuss going forward with what the late school master left you with in the way of crafting magic, others discussed the pros and cons of proceeding to try to remove the threat right away.

After discussion goes back and forth, the final decision from the majority is to let everyone live in hopes that the night might produce some form of further clues to how to combat this great threat.

Final vote:

(4) Passacaglia - Barkeep (113), Path (119), Lonestargirl (126), ntndeacon (137)
(7) No kill - Lathum (71), Chief Rum (74), St.cronin (76), swaggs (86), Daddytorgo (98), Passacaglia (116), ardent (120)

Didnt vote: Hoopsguy, Render, Izulde

It is now Night 1. Deadline is 11am EST tommorrow morning (july 4th). Please submit which room you choose to spend the night in, as well as any other evening actions that you may have by that time.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #141
RendeR
Coordinator

DOH! I was still running on the last games deadline of 10:30, my bad!
Old 07-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #142
hoopsguy
General Manager

Consider my "no vote" to be supporting the no lynch, if someone wants to track it. My hope is that when it comes time to vote tomorrow I'll understand if I'm playing chess or checkers. I understand the position that someone has to be first, but I don't believe that making a guess without any meaningful shared understanding of the rules of this game helps our cause.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #143
Swaggs
Coordinator

So, do we have to do anything special for night actions?

I'm not super clear on whether or not we just acquire additional items or have to do some type of searching for them.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #144
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
So, do we have to do anything special for night actions?

I'm not super clear on whether or not we just acquire additional items or have to do some type of searching for them.

Just state in PM to me which room you wish to spend the night in. As part of your being there, you will spend a bit of time searching through to see what you can find, and the remainder of your time sleeping/resting. (Unless you have some other special night action).

As you spend more time in various parts of the school, you will likely learn what to expect from spending a night in each area.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #145
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Each of you spend the night in various parts of the schoolhouse searching for various things that might prove useful in the future. Eventually all of you grow tired and sucumb to sleep.

Once the morning appears and light begins to shine once again into the great hall, you all gather together once again to discuss the previous day's events. One of you notices that Daddytorgo has not joined you. Scrambling through the entire area, someone finally finds his now dead body in the library, his neck cleanly snapped. One of you decide to search his belongings, but find he has been cleaned out already.

Day two has now begun. Because of the extended July 4th play the deadline for this day is tommorrow (july 5th) night at 10pm EST.

During this day you may do the following:

1) Vote for a player that you feel is a sect member to kill. (post in the thread)
2) Vote for no kill at all. (Post in the thread)
3) Pass an item, ingredient, potion or magical item to another player (PM me with the information.)
4) Attempt to create a new potion or magical item (PM me with the ingredients and/or items you wish to use in your recipe)
5) Drink a potion (PM me)
6) Throw a potion at someone else (PM me, results will be publically shown in the thread at the end of the day.)
Old 07-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #146
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'll get things started. I spent the night in the library, and learned a recipe.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #147
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Storeroom.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #148
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol, been a bad run for DT
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #149
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I stayed in the storeroom as well and didn't find shit.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #150
hoopsguy
General Manager

I stayed in the kitchen and had similar results to the ones reported by Lathum.

Pass, do you need items to get value out of the recipe? If so, is that something you think makes sense to disclose publicly?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote