Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

Pressing "Load" crashes FOF8

Hmmm...I really don't play SP any more, and a while ago I cleared out and archived a lot of old SP files. I'm assuming that is related to this problem.

I did start a new SP game fairly recently... pretty sure I saved it, reopened it, etc.

But now, when I press Load, or "Open Game" it just crashes to the desktop.

Anyone have any guesses? Corrupt file? Re-install? All hope is lost?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
Gallifrey
High School Varsity

I always play single player an have a game going now. I have never seen this problem. Could be from the archive you have the issue.

Have you tried starting a new game, save and reload and see if it works?
Oh, yes I see you did. This should be stable.

Last edited by Gallifrey : 05-30-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:34 PM   #3
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Did you use a league/file name that was used before and you thought you completely wiped away?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:39 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Did you use a league/file name that was used before and you thought you completely wiped away?

definitely not it
Old 05-31-2022, 01:33 PM   #5
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

At present, "formal" diagnostic procedures for FOF have ended given my inability to update code at this time.

Load/save is a high-traffic process that was introduced in that form with FOF1. An error with the mechanism itself would have revealed itself years ago. File formats may have changed - often drastically (the code for updating MP leagues was so extensive that I didn't think it was a good idea to put in the actual product and would only run it myself), but the central idea didn't.

Crashes are almost always (not 100%, but close) one of two issues:

A) A "buffer overrun". This means that a name or title is too large for the variable it is being copied into, which will, because C++ gives you near-infinite freedom to screw up, wipe out the memory space assigned to other variables. When you try to access those variable, *poof*.

B) An array index issue. This means that you are accessing a fixed-size array (FOF uses those, because its roots extend earlier than the switch to std::vectors) using an index that's too low or too high. This means functions that expect input within a certain range may have random input. So, you might be asking the load program to load a name that has three billion characters *poof*.

Within the load function, both issues could come from the same common issue - a name or a team name that's too large for the field it's supposed to occupy. The standard data files probably don't have that issue, or I would know about it quickly. My guess runs along those lines.

If you're not using any non-release data files for players or teams, then I would suggest removing the *.fgr file from the installation. For a while there, with Vista/XP/7/8, anything involving configuration was an adventure. I never did learn to do that part properly - everything I tried using one OS failed in another in some way. So I kept it as vanilla as possible, but maybe not enough.

I hope that helps. During this transition process, support is not ideal, and I apologize for that.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:28 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

many thanks
Old 06-01-2022, 02:21 PM   #7
jzicc
H.S. Freshman Team

Quik --- really think just too many affinities in those rosters caused a fatal error ;0)
jzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:10 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

well rats
Old 07-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

Tried to start a new SP career, that created a new .fgr file, but when trying to either "Load" or "Open Game" I crash to desktop. Alas.