Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Pillars of the Earth on Starz

Anyone else watching either on Starz or through Netflix instant Starz? Granted, it's my favorite book of all-time but I love it so far. Great casting for many of the roles. If you're watching and you haven't read it, are you able to follow? My wife and I feel it would be tough for someone who hasn't read the book.

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What's this? When's it on?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
rowech
Pro Starter

8 part mini-series of the book. Friday nights on Starz or Netflix users can see it starting Saturday through their instant watch.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Drake
assmaster

I didn't read the book, so I've got nothing to compare it to, but my wife and I are digging it. It's very well done.

Last edited by Drake : 08-01-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Drake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Two words: Ian McShane
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Bad-example
College Starter

I just watched the first installment. Looks like the first three are available On Demand. I like Rufus Sewell, and Ian McShane is one of my favorite actors.

So far, so good. The pacing seems pretty quick. I'm getting the feeling they are trying to squeeze too large a tale into too short a miniseries, but that is just my initial impression.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I just watched the first installment. Looks like the first three are available On Demand. I like Rufus Sewell, and Ian McShane is one of my favorite actors.

So far, so good. The pacing seems pretty quick. I'm getting the feeling they are trying to squeeze too large a tale into too short a miniseries, but that is just my initial impression.

The book is every bit of 1000 dense pages.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I didn't know it would be on netflix instant, thanks! We'll definitely watch it I'm sure, since we really liked the book.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
Bad-example
College Starter

I've really been looking forward to Fridays since getting hooked on this.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I finished watching this series and really enjoyed it alot. The characters/acting I thought were great and the plot was outstanding.

My only complaint that I had was that it ended really sudden I felt. The skip ahead 8 years in the final episode felt like a fast forward through what could have been many many chapters of great content. It seemed to cause to me alot of disjointed understanding of what changed in various places in that time.

Was the book like that as well, or did the fast forward only happen here in order to fit it into 8 episodes?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
Drake
assmaster

Agree completely, Alan. While I enjoyed it, I felt like they could have easily stretched it out to 16 episodes and I would have enjoyed it even more. There were too many times that I felt like it was just rushed.

I would have liked to have seen more of Stephen and Maud, for example. They felt like cardboard pieces.

(Unlike, interestingly enough, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, where I felt like they could have compressed the entire season into 8 episodes if they'd said, "Okay, we'll take out this scene of two guys fucking, then this one of meaningless character x fucking character y. Wait! did we get our 30 seconds of character development and/or arch storyline advancer? Excellent! Put back in that first scene of two guys fucking, then.")
Drake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
Galaril
Pro Starter

What the hell is this thing about. I keep hearing people talk about it?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I finished watching this series and really enjoyed it alot. The characters/acting I thought were great and the plot was outstanding.

My only complaint that I had was that it ended really sudden I felt. The skip ahead 8 years in the final episode felt like a fast forward through what could have been many many chapters of great content. It seemed to cause to me alot of disjointed understanding of what changed in various places in that time.

Was the book like that as well, or did the fast forward only happen here in order to fit it into 8 episodes?

I have yet to see the last episode since Netflix won't have it until next Saturday but yes, the book jumps over quite a few years. I'm a little surprised about how much is different from the movie and the book. I have to imagine Follett wouldn't have allowed it to be that way unless he felt strongly about it. In particular William's relationship with his mother is not as creepy in the book. She's just a coniving witch. There's a HUGE difference in the book pertaining to Tom's left behind child Jonathan. There's little detail at all as it pertains to Stephen and Maude. It's essentially a non-factor. There were some additions into the movie that happened to the characters as well.

Overall it was pretty faithful to the book and except the part with Tom's son Jonathan I think were okay changes/additions.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
What the hell is this thing about. I keep hearing people talk about it?

A cathdreal being built in 13th century England and all of the politics, religion, life, etc. that would have played into such a massive event.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
A cathdreal being built in 13th century England and all of the politics, religion, life, etc. that would have played into such a massive event.

Ohhh OK. I think I will pass on this one and instead watch the ice in my glass melt.

Last edited by Galaril : 08-30-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #16
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ohhh OK. I think I will pass on this one and instead watch the ice in my glass melt.

I don't think his description of the story is that good actually. Yes, it is about a cathedral, but I am not big on cathedral building movies either.

Honestly if you like tv shows like the Tudors, or movie/tv shows set back in England during the time prior to the colonization period (feudal time), you probably would enjoy this as well.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I don't think his description of the story is that good actually. Yes, it is about a cathedral, but I am not big on cathedral building movies either.

Honestly if you like tv shows like the Tudors, or movie/tv shows set back in England during the time prior to the colonization period (feudal time), you probably would enjoy this as well.

I agree. I haven't seen the show, but I liked the book. It's very entertaining and not at all dull. I read it pretty quickly, which is rare for me. I would recommend it to someone.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #18
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

The cathedral is what brings everything together...it is about so much more. It is without question the best book I have ever read with only The Stand being close. I've recommended it to my wife and five of my friends over the years and without fail, they have all said it is the best book they've ever read.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #19
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
The cathedral is what brings everything together...it is about so much more. It is without question the best book I have ever read with only The Stand being close. I've recommended it to my wife and five of my friends over the years and without fail, they have all said it is the best book they've ever read.

Thanks all. I trust this board so when get the time I will check this out.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I agree with most of this. Only one person I recommended it to didn't like it. And I've recommended the book to many folks (including one today!). I never read The Stand, so can't comment on that, but Pillars is hands down one of the best, if not the best book I've read.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #21
Coder
College Prospect

I enjoyed this show on several levels.

1 - It was a very well done adaptation of one of my favorite books. It was true to the original story in most ways, and the changes made weren't terrible.

2 - The CGI effects were excellent. Often when I see CGI in movies or TV-series it's so obvious and doesn't look good at all. These were very good and really felt real most of the time. (I'm thinking mostly about the big castles and the Cathedral, but also battle scenes).

3 - Great actors. Ian Macshane is a master, and I think Matthew Macfadyen did very well as Philip. I think Rufus Sewell was a good fit for Tom, but I really didn't think the guy playing Alfred was a good fit..

4 - The production really made me feel more comfortable about Game of Thrones. I was worried about large castle scenes or battlefields feeling unrealistic but seeing what can be done with CGI without making it look terrible, I'm now even more anxious about GoT on HBO.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote