Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
gstelmack
Pro Starter

EA Sports Active?

Okay, this has been mentioned a few times in recent threads, so I'll bite: What is EA Sports Active and why is it so much better than Wii Fit?

gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

The running mechanism is 8 times better than Wii Fit. In general, it gives a much better aerobic workout than Wii Fit.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I checked out the web site and it was pretty much useless for any real info on the product.

Good to know on the running mechanism, that is a frustration of mine with Wii Fit. I do like the Yoga, Strength, and Balance areas, the aerobic bits are weak.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well, if you used Wii Fit, you know that it just let you pick whatever you wanted to do, and didn't have a wide variety of strength exercises or cardio (way too much yoga).

Active is like having a personal trainer that leads you from one exercise to another with on overall program in mind. That is the primary difference. It also comes with a leg strap for your nunchuk that lets it detect leg movements (believe me, this game will tone your lower body--it's almost sadistic what it does to your legs) and a resistance band for building your upper body muscles. It is just much more intense, focussed, and plain old effective than Wii Fit.

Also, it doesn't gripe and complain if you don't use it every minute of the day like Wii Fit (totally turned me off). The difference is, with Active, I actually WANT to do it because I know it is working.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
clemsonfan
High School JV

I like EA sports active way more than Wii fit. I need structure and that is exactly what it delivers. I wrote a sort of review of it on another message board. I'll paste that here:

Quote:

This is Wii fit's newest competitor and unlike Jillian Michael's Fitness Ultimatum, it's actually good. We picked this one up this afternoon and within a few minutes I was dripping in sweat. It's different than Wii fit because it's a western style workout that does not include yoga and meditation and it does not insult your BMI. Some of the exercises it had me do today was inline skating, kick boxing, squats, bicep curls, lunges, and of course running.

It comes with a leg strap (to keep your nunchuk in for some exercises) and a resistance band. You can play this game with or without the Wii balance board. The leg strap was good because it measures how high you lift your knees when you run so it measures your running distance better.

The feature I'm starting out with is the 30 day challenge. Bob Greene introduces the challenge and you pick an intensity level. Today's workout was about 20 minutes long and I was out of breath by the end.

clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm on day 7 of the 30-day workout and have no doubt I will finish it and may do it again when its over (on high intensity, I picked medium to start). It has many, many, many preconfigured workout routines that you can choose from if you don't want to do the 30 day challenge, too. I actually can't recommend this enough if you don't have time to go to the gym and need/want to get back into shape. I feel 1000% better about myself since starting this program.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Thanks guys, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I may have to pick this up soon.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The running mechanism is 8 times better than Wii Fit. In general, it gives a much better aerobic workout than Wii Fit.

I ended up not even using wii fit for running/aerobic. I just weigh in on wii fit now, and occasionally do the balance activities, but otherwise I use my bike or my elliptical trainer for my aerobic workout.

Is EA going to compare or even be close to that? Right now Wii fit is feeling like an overpriced scale that keeps track of history for me after a few months.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Icy
Pro Starter

If you want to get sore and to train hard, and you like boxing, this is the perfect Wii game:

Gold's Gym: Cardio Boxing

Here are some reviews:

http://www.buzzfocus.com/2009/04/19/...-nintendo-wii/
Gold's Gym Cardio Workout (wii: 2009): Reviews

Quote:
Description

Bring your own personal Gold's GymŪ trainer into your living room! Gold's Gym: Cardio Workout offers a personal training experience with a more intense and interactive workout than any other fitness game on the market. Use the Wii™ Balance Board in multiple training modes and fitness levels, set your own weight-loss and calorie goals, track them on the calendar and see the results. Plus, each game includes a free 7-day VIP membership to Gold's Gym, the largest and most trusted gym in the world.

Features
  • A personal training experience ? schedule workouts, track burned calories and body weight.
  • Offers a more intense cardio workout than most Wii fitness games; includes exercises such as cardio boxing, running, sit-ups, and more.
  • Tracks your progress and maintains a calendar of your exercise activity.
  • Multiple training modes and fitness levels difficulty evolves as your fitness level increases.
  • Compatible with the Wii Balance Board

After one day playing, i was incredible sore in my back from throwing punches and moving my feet at rhythm.

It's not a boxing game, you never fight anybody, it's a cardio workout with different minigames based on the boxing movements (feet dancing and punching). The controls are way more responsive than in Wii sports boxing.

Last edited by Icy : 06-02-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
JediKooter
Coordinator

That sounds very cool. My fat ass needs to lose some weight and this may be something that helps.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
saldana
Pro Starter

i could barely move after day one of the 30 day challenge..i was sore in so many different places.

just the fact that it actually tells you what to do instead of letting you just pick stuff that may or may not be any help to you is a major bonus over wii fit, imo.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I just got this and so far I'm really enjoying it.

If nothing else this 'game' really makes you sweat.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
Tasan
College Starter

Can you do the workouts "multiplayer"? If so, can you get extra leg straps?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes, there is a "workout with a friend" option. I assume you can pick up a leg strap separately, but don't know that for sure. I go check.

"-Can I buy or order replacements for the leg strap and resistance bands?

Yes you can buy an accessory pack that contains a leg strap and a resistance band at your local retailer or online at www.ea.com"

EA SPORTS Active Customer Service & Support FAQ
Old 06-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
Calis
College Starter

I just picked it up at Target today and did see the multiplayer pack there as well for I believe $20.

Did my first workout. I'm in pretty terrible shape, only starting to do some light jogging again in the last few weeks. I went ahead and did the workout on medium and it was brutal.

Very impressed. I was seriously drained but having a good enough time that I kept pushing through it. I didn't have any issues with the controller recognizing moves either.

The resistance band is a joke though. I will definitely be replacing that. It's a pretty flimsy deal.

Already pumped for day 2 although I wonder how well I'll be moving in the morning.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

So this really is focused more on strength training?

They need to bring this out to the other systems (even if they have to include a Wii-like controller and charge a little more).

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-07-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #17
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

Both the wife and I have done the first day in the 30 day challenge today ... feel pretty good but I imagine my fat ass will be stiff tomorrow ... enjoy the various exercises but the jogging kicked my ass the most.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #18
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just finished day 14 I think in the 30 day challenge. Feel great. Soreness is gone. First couple of days were brutal.

Also the trainer is an asshole for what he did to me today (Squat holds, alternating lunges, jump lunges, squat holds, alternating lunges, jump lunges). There outta be a dam law.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
Galaxy
Coordinator

How long does a daily challenge take?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

20-30 minutes.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #21
wade moore
lolzcat

Is the 30 day challenge all there is to it, or are there other elements as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #22
MJ4H
Coordinator

There's a lot more.

Tons of preset workouts (not exercises, but workouts with a trainer leading you through individual exercises to comprise a workout).

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-08-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #23
Calis
College Starter

Finished up Day 2. I actually wasn't sore this morning as I expected but I was a little stiff and slow to move around. The lunging exercises so far are the ones that kill me. I was looking forward to the running today because it meant no lunges...then they threw in the high knees and kick-ups.

Actually disappointed that tomorrow is my day off it, so I think that speaks highly of it.

Seems to have a good mix, and I'm looking forward to doing some of the "Sports" type activities more, like the tennis, boxing, and even inline skating(which was particularly brutal).
Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #24
clemsonfan
High School JV

My "trainer" on EA Sports Active kicked my butt today. I'm so sore. There's only so many jump squats and jump lunges my body can take.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #25
MJ4H
Coordinator

Made it to the halfway point, yesterday. Dude says second half he is upping the intensity. I kicked my dog.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #26
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Made it to the halfway point, yesterday. Dude says second half he is upping the intensity. I kicked my dog.

Kicking your dog is part of the exercise routine? I expect PETA to intervene.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #27
MJ4H
Coordinator

IT IS NOW
Old 06-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #28
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I am at the halfway point as well and I must admit I like EA Sports Active. Currently I am doing it at the hard level and at the beginning it kicked my arse. I considered going down a level but because there are rest days, I decided to go for it.

The exercises that seem to kill me are the ones in which I have to jump off ramps or perform a jump shot or do jump squats. So basically any sort of jumping for long periods of time. At the beginning it is not too bad, but eventually as you get further into the program, jumping becomes tiring (at least for me).

So far, I like how they expand on their exercises. In the early stages they will eventually introduce basketball, tennis and volleyball but only do the basic moves at the beginning. Eventually they build upon this by introducing more moves and since I am only at the halfway point, I am interested to see if it will eventually move on to an actual game against a computer opponent in some manner.

Plus I was pleasently surprised to see how the game could read the controllers, especially the one in the leg strap. If I hold the controllers the wrong way, the game will tell you how to hold them properly and I found that when it didn't register, I was holding it the wrong way, so it does teach proper form.

The only negatives I have was that the resistance band was weak. It is okay for one of the shoulder exercises, but for any type of exercise involving the bicep, triceps and back, it was pretty weak, even if you fold it, so I had purchased extra resistence bands to accomodate for that. The only other negative is that (at least so far), there are not a lot of exercises that focus on your chest.

We currently have all the Wii exercise games (Wii Fit, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout, My Fitness Coach and that dreaded Jillian game).

Jillian's game. Horrible. Exercises in this game were weird and the controls were funky. Wish I hadn't bought it.

I pretty much abandoned Wii Fit after a month on it because I found that my improvement after a while was too slow.

My Fitness Coach is a great addition because it is like a customized workout video and there are no breaks between each exercise and the exercise varies for each day so you never know what you are going to work on the next day. It also utilizes dumbells, balance ball and a step and you don't have to use the controller at all until she asks you how you are feeling.

Gold's Gym is interesting because it is mostly a cardio and upper body workout. You can play it like the Wii Fit or you can use a customized workout from the trainer. The total exercise take about 30 minutes and what cool about it is that you can use two controllers box instead of using the controller/nunchuk combination which has a way better feel and you don't have to worry about that wire between them. The only negative I had about this game is that is sometimes doesn't always register when you are ducking very well.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #29
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Girlfriend picked this up and I'll be trying it later today. Will report back with my AMAZING FINDINGS.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #30
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Phew. That was a heck of a workout. There were ACTUAL BEADS OF SWEAT on my brow. The thigh strap was very sensitive at picking up movements and they could tell when I was cheating (damnit). Hopefully I can stick with this thing.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #31
MJ4H
Coordinator

Somewhere in the second half of the 30 day challenge, after today's weigh-in, I have lost 6 lbs and slimmed down a lot. One big regret is that I didn't take a before picture. Wish I had now.

Last night's workout was brutal. Squat holds, squat holds with calf-lifts, alternating lunges, jump lunges, man, fuck that guy.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #32
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I agree with all that's been said. 2nd week and goddamn those lunges....
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #33
MJ4H
Coordinator

Last day of 30 day challenge today. Weighed in this morning and have lost 9 lbs. If you are on the fence and think this would be beneficial, do it. I have never stuck with an exercise program this long and I want to keep going. I'm really proud of myself, feel good, look better and better every day, and am brimming with confidence.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #34
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Last day of 30 day challenge today. Weighed in this morning and have lost 9 lbs. If you are on the fence and think this would be beneficial, do it. I have never stuck with an exercise program this long and I want to keep going. I'm really proud of myself, feel good, look better and better every day, and am brimming with confidence.

Awesome man. Way to go. Keep it up.....

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #35
Calis
College Starter

Congrats on finishing!

I sorta lost the steam on mine. I'm still using Active, but I ended up with a pretty bad knee after one of the particularly brutal lunge workouts. I'm still using EA Active and loving it, but I'm working on the preset workouts and I've picked up the Gold's Gym game which is a great cardio boxing workout. It's almost wholly upper body and cardio so it works well combined with Active for the lower body. I have a genuinely good time doing the workouts there, and having more of an interest in boxing I find myself pushing even more. There's some fun focus mitt sections and stuff like that which tests your reflexes and memory some so it stays pretty interesting. It is a helluva cardio workout for sure.

I've been doing 2 days of Gold's and 1 of Active then a day off for the last week or so. I'll do more Active when the knee gets better.

Highly recommend both games though.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #36
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I have gotten ridiculous competitive at the Wii Active running sections. I will not let any of the digital dorks pass me and if one is in eyesight I have to hunt him down. I am also trying to lap them now. This insane obsession has led to some very good cario workouts

Oh, and does anyone else hate the jump lunges and jump squats? I just don't think I'm built for those.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #37
MJ4H
Coordinator

Anything with the word lunge and/or jump in it sucks fucking ass.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #38
Calis
College Starter

Glad to hear I'm not alone in being ultra-competitive with the AI runners on the track.

Awesome how something just added as scenery can have such an effect. Really interested to see when this genre evolves to be a bit more gamey also. Maybe we can trick people into working out without reali-ng?

One can hope.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #39
sabotai
General Manager

I was looking at videos of a lot of the exercises on their web site for this. I have a bit of a limited area to work in. My living space is a bit long and narrow, plus I have WAY too much stuff (shelves filled with books, computer parts, DVDs, etc) so I don't have really any room to do any of the exercises that required stepping to the left and right and swinging your arms. (The tennis one where you step to the side off the balance board and swing your arm is the specific one I'm refering too. I don't have the room to do that one) How many of the things they make you do on the 30 day challenge require a good bit of space around you?

I mean, I have room to do the cardio boxing, lunges, etc. It's the just the left to right space that's limited for me. Are there many that require a lot of space to your sides?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #40
MJ4H
Coordinator

The lunges are the thing that take up space. You will need about 8-10 feet side to side and about 5 feet front to back for all of the exercises. Those are estimates, but if you stand in the center of your space and do a side lunge in each direction, that's about all you'll need. Front to back the worst thing is the reverse lunges. Stand next to your TV and step backwards into a lunge (down on one knee basically) and that's the amount you'll need in that direction.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #41
sabotai
General Manager

Good, I have enough room to do side lounges. I'll have to pic this up.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #42
nZane
n00b

For those interested, this is eBay's Deal of the Day. Regularly priced $59.99, on sale today for $33.99! But wait, there's more! Free shipping as well! Order now, supplies are limited (under 900 left as of 5 or so minutes ago).

eBay Daily Deal: Great items, deep discounts, and free shipping

Last edited by nZane : 06-29-2009 at 10:07 AM.
nZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #43
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Just picked this up last night and went at it tonight for the first time....chose hard workout...FAHHHHKKKKK

that beotch is a slave driver.....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 PM   #44
sabotai
General Manager

Picked it up tonight and will begin to hate life tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #45
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Hard workout is frickin insane. I made that mistake once. Medium level does a nice job of kicking my butt, especially since I passed halfway through and they upped the intensity.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #46
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I traded in a few games to pick this up, partially based on the reviews here. Me and the GF are looking for something to up our activity during the week. I'm the prototype weekend warrior right now with soccer, softball, basketball, and golf. But after work, I really don't feel like going to the gym, so I hope this will help.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #47
sabotai
General Manager

My legs are destroyed after 2 workouts. That Inline Skating exercise really wore out my thighs. And whoever made it so that on day two I had to do Side Lunges with Toe Touches immediately followed by Reverse Lunges is a sadist.

After the second workout, I was just 20 calories shy of my first goal (500 calories burned) so I threw together a quick workout and got the goal. Tomorrow is a rest day, but I'll probably put together a workout just so that I get used to doing something every day.

I'm also finding that I'm burning (or Active says I'm burning) more calories than the workout says I will. Today I think the target was 218 and I got up to 270 burned. Anyone else far exceed the calorie target?

Last edited by sabotai : 07-02-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #48
MJ4H
Coordinator

I've exceeded it every single day and I'm well past the initial 30 day challenge. Wife bought an extra set of resistance bands (real ones, not the nonsense that comes with the game) and an extra leg strap, and we are now working out together, which is much more fun.

By the way, it gets way worse than side lunge-reverse lunges. Just wait. There are some seriously rough sequences in your future.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #49
sabotai
General Manager

I already bought a more resistant band. Using one labeled as "Extra Strong" now. Doing the curl and row exercises with the one that came with it was like getting a 5 minute break.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #50
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

just finished exercise 3...it was a let down after the first 2.
The resistance band episodes are a joke...need to upgrade those.

All in all I am liking it, we have had a few hiccups where it doesnt want to recognize hand positions (only with my wife though???!?)
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote