Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #13301
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I really think that Blue Valentine could push someone over the edge.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #13302
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I came to this website at this time today because I had meant to go to my bank's website...but both sites URL's start with "o" and I just clicked the first site it matched with. Not that I wasn't going to come here later, but I really was trying to get to my bank's site.

/tk

Sometimes when I try to go to YouTube on a different computer without autocomplete, I end up Googling "you" and being reminded that "You (Time Person of the Year)" is a pretty funny Wikipedia page.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #13303
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

The World War Z movie is stupid as fuck.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #13304
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
The World War Z movie is stupid as fuck.

+ 1,000,000
Old 08-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #13305
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I really think that Blue Valentine could push someone over the edge.

I love that damn movie.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #13306
molson
General Manager

I hope both that the ice bucket challenge raises a lot of money for ALS research, and that it will be over soon.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #13307
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I hope both that the ice bucket challenge raises a lot of money for ALS research, and that it will be over soon.

I saw something the other day that said donations were up.

Now I challenge you!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #13308
Logan
Head Coach

Saw something that said $170K in 3 weeks.

I originally thought it was monumentally stupid, but realized that's because the first exposure I had to it was a couple who phrased it poorly, that they were doing it to "get out of" donating.

Glad most are putting up money as well.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #13309
molson
General Manager

I bet Obama is thrilled that Ethel Kennedy nominated him for the challenge.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #13311
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I bought a pack of Jelly Belly Cold Stone Ice Cream Parlor flavors for an afternoon pack. The flavors provided:

Chocolate Devotion
Birthday Cake Remix
Our Strawberry Blonde
Apple Pie A La Cold Stone
Mint Mint Chocolate CHocolate Chip

While I think I will enjoy these (I like sweets), the explosion of sugar in the air when I opened the bag is almost overhwelming.

See you on the other side.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #13312
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I bought a pack of Jelly Belly Cold Stone Ice Cream Parlor flavors for an afternoon pack. The flavors provided:

Chocolate Devotion
Birthday Cake Remix
Our Strawberry Blonde
Apple Pie A La Cold Stone
Mint Mint Chocolate CHocolate Chip

While I think I will enjoy these (I like sweets), the explosion of sugar in the air when I opened the bag is almost overhwelming.

See you on the other side.
Do children really get sugar rushes? | Life and style | theguardian.com

If the Guardian isn't your cup of tea, I can produce similar articles from other publications.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #13313
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Do children really get sugar rushes? | Life and style | theguardian.com

If the Guardian isn't your cup of tea, I can produce similar articles from other publications.

What do you think I am trying to say? lol...

I am just saying it's very sweet if I can smell the flavors just wafting over everything. I finished said packet, BTW, and it was indeed quite sweet (probably too sweet).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #13314
molson
General Manager

I bet social networking has been very good for charitable giving generally. In increases awareness obviously, but then there's this social pressure when friends and family ask for things. This one is pretty brilliant - call someone out publicly to dump water on their heads, OR they can get out of that just by contributing $10. What kind of monster would do neither?

So there are some weird uncomfortable social dynamics there, with how public everything is, but nothing life-shattering and the impact on good causes has been great, so it's a net win, I guess.

Last edited by molson : 08-11-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #13315
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Watching various people help their kids move in at college today on social media.

2 years from now I'm gonna be posting those same pics from somewhere.
And that's definitely the closest it's ever felt to me.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #13316
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Watching various people help their kids move in at college today on social media.

My wife yesterday mentioned something that gave me pause: she's got a friend who has I think like 8 kids or something and the oldest is about to start college either this or next year. She said that they will be spending the next 23 years moving someone into or out of college. Yeah, I'm kind of glad I have just three girls and my oldest and middle ones will be the only ones overlapping for a couple of years and 5 1/2 years straight. We then get a break of about 4 years before the final one (barring anything unexpected) goes through on her own.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #13317
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Wait. What?

I thought your son was like 8 or 9 tops?

Fuck. We've been around here a long time.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #13318
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wait. What?
I thought your son was like 8 or 9 tops?
Fuck. We've been around here a long time.

Turned 16 back in April. His junior yr of HS starts Monday.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:06 AM   #13319
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I love that damn movie.

Not something I noticed the first time but in the hotel "future room" he plays the song You and Me. Then near the end after he meets her parents you hear it again in her bedroom and realize it was "their song".

The story behind that song is great cause it was some lost demo and they had a hard time confirming which Motown era people performed on it.

Last edited by stevew : 08-13-2014 at 12:08 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #13320
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I finally have a failproof plan to spend time with pumpy, show up at his house in a horse costume and offer to play horseshoes.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #13321
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I finally have a failproof plan to spend time with pumpy, show up at his house in a horse costume and offer to play horseshoes.

Be careful. He doesn't always remove the horseshoes before throwing them.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #13322
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 08-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #13323
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I thought ads and commercials were supposed to get you interested in buying their product. Based on these latest commercials, I have no interest at all in finding out more about Liberty Mutual insurance.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #13324
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I thought ads and commercials were supposed to get you interested in buying their product. Based on these latest commercials, I have no interest at all in finding out more about Liberty Mutual insurance.

I work for a competitor and we got a memo today regarding the fine print in their "new car replacement" coverage.

It only applies if the totaled car is new from the current model year, less than 15,000 miles, and you are the original owner.

Not all that helpful.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #13325
ColtCrazy
College Starter

So here's my vent about my wife's situation at her school:

Over the summer, the school turns off the air and the end of the summer was particularly humid. Mold has been an occasional problem at my wife's school, but this summer mold was visibly growing over her carpet. She said something about it, and maintenance's response was to vacuum it up. Naturally it came back. Second response was to clean the carpets then turn my wife's classroom's AC to 65. Today, the board's minutes are released and my wife furiously calls me because a board member asked about the report of mold at her school. Maintenance blamed a teacher that turned the AC off (wrong) and the matter has been resolved. I went into my wife's room after school and there's a very strong musty odor and the room feels like an autumn evening in the Yukon.
We've been warned about the "chain of command" when it comes to complaints, but I'm very close to make an anonymous call to the department of health. This has happened to several other classrooms as well.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #13326
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
So here's my vent about my wife's situation at her school:

Over the summer, the school turns off the air and the end of the summer was particularly humid. Mold has been an occasional problem at my wife's school, but this summer mold was visibly growing over her carpet. She said something about it, and maintenance's response was to vacuum it up. Naturally it came back. Second response was to clean the carpets then turn my wife's classroom's AC to 65. Today, the board's minutes are released and my wife furiously calls me because a board member asked about the report of mold at her school. Maintenance blamed a teacher that turned the AC off (wrong) and the matter has been resolved. I went into my wife's room after school and there's a very strong musty odor and the room feels like an autumn evening in the Yukon.
We've been warned about the "chain of command" when it comes to complaints, but I'm very close to make an anonymous call to the department of health. This has happened to several other classrooms as well.

Mold can be dangerous (as you no doubt know). You should absolutely make that anonymous call.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #13327
britrock88
Pro Starter

Doesn't it just make sense to keep the air on at a high temp, like 80, specifically to prevent that kind of crap?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #13328
ColtCrazy
College Starter

The trouble is the schools (and this is district wide as the temp in my own room varies wildly) swing between frigid and boiling temps. They turn the air off completely on the weekends to save money. It hasn't help that there's construction going on at my wife's school that's added dust to the mix.

And, no, the mold speeds worst when the temp is high in the room. In the end, it's the result of years of cutting costs in construction that's led to moisture coming in and cheap policies that allow mold to have the perfect breeding ground (warm, damp, and mostly dark rooms due to safety glass, windows that only open a few inches, and a lack of windows in general.

The Mrs. is miserable and has bad allergies as it is. I think the phone call happens tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #13329
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Has school started already? If so, then you have the cover of it possibly being a parent who called. If not, I'd wait the couple of days until school starts.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #13330
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Does the Health Department have any jurisdiction in your state? In Illinois neither Health (except for limited food prep issues) or Fire Inspectors have any jurisdiction in public schools.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #13331
Dutch
"Dutch"

Has the US scrapped it's Canadian Invasion Plan???

No Plans for Canada Invasion, Pentagon Leader Says | Five by Five
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #13332
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Nice, you can't front on that.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #13333
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Does the Health Department have any jurisdiction in your state? In Illinois neither Health (except for limited food prep issues) or Fire Inspectors have any jurisdiction in public schools.

Yes, there's a health code that states mold must be dealt with in schools within a 48 hour period of notification and with special documentation that follows. I was going to call yesterday but someone must have beaten me to it (I think a school board member got wind of it). My wife said they are doing tests in the building for mold now.

Edit: Yes, school has started!!! My wife currently has kids in her class wearing jackets. Guessing it's possible a parent might have raised the alarm.

Last edited by ColtCrazy : 08-16-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #13334
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Watching bits & pieces of sorority rush drama from a safe distance & all I keep thinking is ... thank God I had a boy.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #13335
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Watching bits & pieces of sorority rush drama from a safe distance & all I keep thinking is ... thank God I had a boy.

What, no pics?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #13336
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
What, no pics?

Sorority Recruitment by Blane Marable Photography Athens Georgia | SpottedĀ® | WE
Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #13337
PilotMan
Head Coach

Pre season football sucks.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #13338
Izulde
Head Coach

God damn, I love formal rush.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #13339
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
God damn, I love formal rush.

One of the better looking blondes that appears repeatedly (according to my wife) in this photo gallery just graduated from my son's school. I'll just say her looks may far exceed her personality (per my son) and leave it at that.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #13340
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

The rink seems colder at 7am practice than 7pm practice.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #13341
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
One of the better looking blondes that appears repeatedly (according to my wife) in this photo gallery just graduated from my son's school. I'll just say her looks may far exceed her personality (per my son) and leave it at that.

As a longtime friend has said since high school "I've still never found the hole in a personality."

Old 08-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #13342
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a longtime friend has said since high school "I've still never found the hole in a personality."

There's the hot/crazy scale to consider though.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #13343
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There's the hot/crazy scale to consider though.

You are thinking about relationships...I never considered relationships during college
Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #13344
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are thinking about relationships...I never considered relationships during college

If you ain't never met one too crazy to screw, well, there were some people I wish I coulda introduced you to
Old 08-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #13345
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Touche....though it sounds fun.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #13346
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm glad that money to ALS is up, and maybe that makes the rest of this OK. But, it's clear this is just a public stunt for people to look silly and get likes on FB and most of the "non-celebs" probably aren't donating any money or even know what ALS is. Celebs have to donate, otherwise someone would find out and call them out - that's probably a big chunk of the increase.

I would have prefer the challenge be to dump a bucket of ice (or don't) and then donate atleast $25 to a charity of your choosing and put a paragraph on facebook about that charity and why it's important to you. That's a challenge I would participate in and it would be interesting to see which charities are important to people and why. Instead, I see 15 videos of people dumping ice on themselves and calling others out and I bet *maybe* 5 know what ALS is and maybe half ended up donating any money.

I think this says it the best:
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 AM   #13347
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I'm glad that money to ALS is up, and maybe that makes the rest of this OK. But, it's clear this is just a public stunt for people to look silly and get likes on FB and most of the "non-celebs" probably aren't donating any money or even know what ALS is. Celebs have to donate, otherwise someone would find out and call them out - that's probably a big chunk of the increase.

I would have prefer the challenge be to dump a bucket of ice (or don't) and then donate atleast $25 to a charity of your choosing and put a paragraph on facebook about that charity and why it's important to you. That's a challenge I would participate in and it would be interesting to see which charities are important to people and why. Instead, I see 15 videos of people dumping ice on themselves and calling others out and I bet *maybe* 5 know what ALS is and maybe half ended up donating any money.

I tend to agree with you.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #13348
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

I don't get the faux outrage or why anyone has any gripe about this. Half is better than zero and if half the people who never heard of Als learn something about it then awareness is greatly increased.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #13349
molson
General Manager

I've changed my mind on being a little annoyed of the whole thing. All these millions to a good cause trump my minor annoyance. If giving people an opportunity to draw attention to themselves on facebook = millions to a good cause, let's do this more often.

Last edited by molson : 08-18-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #13350
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Question for Arles

Do you ever water your grass? Wash your car? Use a dishwasher or clothes washer? Shave with the faucet running? Take a nice long shower after a workout?

If so then you are a hypocrite.