Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
Danny
Head Coach

Glory Moment of Eating

Well, the hair in the food thread lead me to think of this. List any moments of restaurant eating with you consider to be your glory moments.

One of mine. I got the very last hamburger at Bob's Big Boy in Southern California before they closed down. And no, there was not a hair in it.

Last edited by Danny : 01-24-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
heybrad
Norm!!!

There are still Bob's Big Boys in Socal.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad

Maybe he meant for the night.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I watched a friend in high school eat an entire 25x at In-N-Out Burger one night after a basketball game. They gave him a free Double Double when he was done, and he downed that too. That guy was a total studmuffin.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

The Best Hamburger I Ever Had was as a kid - maybe 12 or so - in Seattle. We had taken a trip to the Pacific coast and were driving back home. Dad was always one of those "let's hold out a few more miles" drivers, so we were utterly starving when we finally hit the Arctic Circle for a late dinner. I don't know if they are still around, but damn, their Acey Burger or whatever it was called tasted like mana from heaven.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
I watched a friend in high school eat an entire 25x at In-N-Out Burger one night after a basketball game. They gave him a free Double Double when he was done, and he downed that too. That guy was a total studmuffin.

That made him a studmuffin?

Find a truckstop, go there, sit, watch. Fall in love, over and over again.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Really only thing that stands out was my first meal at a Sushi bar back when I was 11 or 12. $100+ worth of sushi and sashimi, good stuff.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
The Best Hamburger I Ever Had was as a kid - maybe 12 or so - in Seattle. We had taken a trip to the Pacific coast and were driving back home. Dad was always one of those "let's hold out a few more miles" drivers, so we were utterly starving when we finally hit the Arctic Circle for a late dinner. I don't know if they are still around, but damn, their Acey Burger or whatever it was called tasted like mana from heaven.

Wow, I haven't heard of Arctic Circle in years....about 9.

Last edited by Cringer : 01-24-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #9
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Cringer, with the timely 18-wheeler perspective. *air horn*
Old 01-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
That made him a studmuffin?

Find a truckstop, go there, sit, watch. Fall in love, over and over again.
I would if I wasn't irrationally afraid of truckstops.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Got me curious. Check it out HERE
Old 01-24-2006, 01:26 PM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I know what I know, and that's all that I know.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #13
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Got me curious. Check it out HERE

They have more locations then i would have thought. And they have playzones.

I don't remember one in Spokane though. I always remember stopping at one when we went to central Washington to see family.

The best ever IMO, Thrifty Scotsman Burger in Spokane, down in the valley area. Only one restuarant, been there for ever. They give you HUGE burgers, and the best fries I will ever have. And the best tartar sauce for fries ever. I look forward to going up there this year and getting a couple orders of fries (since the burger is no longer on my menu). Also, they are cheap.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #14
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad

You just crushed Danny's glory moment....
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:

Me neither... Wow the last time I ate at one of those I was 9 years old and visting Idaho for a month...

BTW, I loved their sauce...
Old 01-24-2006, 01:37 PM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've had a couple.

The first I can recall was at some restaurant (no idea what the name was) in the main squar of Budapest (no idea what the name of the square is). It was back in 1999 and me and buddy of mine did a 1.5 week European trip. We hit Prague and then Budapest. We lucked out with accomidations in Budapest by meeting some woman when we got off the train who had a spare apartment near the old square and offered to let us stay there for around $15 a night (total). Despite the potential for shadiness, we took her up on that offer and it worked out great. Because we were so under budget for the trip we decided to have a blowout our last night there and have a meal fit for kings. We hit this restaurant on the square, a fancy one, that we had eaten at earlier in the week. It was recommended by various sources. The only way to get a table (sans reservations) was to show up right at 6:30 pm when they started serving dinner. Me and my buddy got there at 6:30. The waiters and such were none too pleased to have a couple of young, scruffy-looking American tourists camped out so early. We had pre-dinner drinks, appetizers, a full meal, desert, three bottles of wine, two Cuban cigars each, and after dinner drinks. I think the whole meal lasted about 4.5 hours or so. The after dinner drinks were on the house, as we had the owner of the place come out near the end to thank us for our patronage. We felt big time. (The sad part is that we had to get up at around 3:30 in the morning to get to the airport. There was no hot water and all the rich, heavy food, wine, and cigar smoke created what felt like a ball of molten lava in my stomach (on top of the natural hangover) for the entire duration of my return trip home that included flights from Budapest to Amsterdam; Amsterdam to Atlanta; Atlanta to Detroit. No. me. gusta.)

Another "glory moment" was a few weeks ago at fancy-shmancy French restuarant in DC called "Citronelle." We had a 10 course tasting menu (with a wine pairing with each course) in the kitchen. It was a closing dinner for a transaction we had helped close. The deal went incredibly smoothly and the client was happy, so the firm allowed us to splurge a bit. It was an amazing dinner. Astoundingly good food and wine. (Of course, some of us had to ruin it by going out afterwards to a couple of bars in Georgetown and drinking Scotch and then all of a sudden Red Bull & vodka. Luckily for me, I had the presence of mind to bolt a bit early and savor the meal a bit).

The final one was at "Fogo de Chao". I have been there twice and each was a "glory moment." Those not familiar with the place, it's a small chain of Brazillian steakhouses. You pay something like $45 and there is a massive salad bar, unlimited side dishes (warm cheese bread, fried bananas, crispy hot polenta and seasoned mashed potatoes), and then the waiters start coming by your table with skewers upon skewers of a variety of different meats (filet mignion wrapped in bacon, parmesean chicken, pork sausage, etc, etc, etc). The meats just keep on coming until you ask them to stop. It's amazingly good. In fact, I am headed there tomorrow. I have already started a purely fruit and vegetable diet in preparation.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #17
Schmidty
Coordinator

My greatest eating moments occur every time I go to Anthony's seafood restaurant here in Bellingham. It's right on the bay and the food is amazing. We go there once a month, and I always look forward to it.

We went two sundays ago, and had Roasted Garlic Dungeoness Crab. It was just plain awesome.

http://www.anthonys.com/home.html

Last edited by Schmidty : 01-24-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #18
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

(circa 1980) there was this greasy little restaurant a block from my school where a bunch of us would go to play video games. The name was something like Kay Bee's (i know there was a bee in their logo and it had nothing to do with the toy chain).

Probably more nostalgia than anything, but I remember the hamburgers were nice and greasy and tasted so good. I would flatten them (for whatever reason) between the palms of my hands and eat them nice and flat. All the while we would take turns playing Defender and sipping on sodas that didn't have diet counterparts (yet).

Pierogies were served in bundles of 3 and the salt would stick to them just right because they were way too hot to eat. And when they were ready to eat, they were dipped in mounds of sweet ketchup that was pumped from a huge vat at the counter.

Those were the best hamburgers and pierogies on earth and I don't think I'll ever have better.

Damn I miss my childhood.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
(circa 1980) there was this greasy little restaurant a block from my school where a bunch of us would go to play video games. The name was something like Kay Bee's (i know there was a bee in their logo and it had nothing to do with the toy chain).

Probably more nostalgia than anything, but I remember the hamburgers were nice and greasy and tasted so good. I would flatten them (for whatever reason) between the palms of my hands and eat them nice and flat. All the while we would take turns playing Defender and sipping on sodas that didn't have diet counterparts (yet).

Pierogies were served in bundles of 3 and the salt would stick to them just right because they were way too hot to eat. And when they were ready to eat, they were dipped in mounds of sweet ketchup that was pumped from a huge vat at the counter.

Those were the best hamburgers and pierogies on earth and I don't think I'll ever have better.

Damn I miss my childhood.

You should go back. Perhaps you still have the high score on the Defender machine.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #20
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
You should go back. Perhaps you still have the high score on the Defender machine.
I wish. I never had the money to play it enough to become good.

**edit** besides, the place was 'dozed years ago.

Last edited by Bonegavel : 01-24-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #21
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

My glory moment was when I was about 12-13 years old, I guess. We usually went to a local Japanese steakhouse (Kanki) in Raleigh for birthday celebrations. As is typical of such places, they cook up and dish out the various parts of the meal in front of you (veggies, rice, meats, etc). Of course, when you're that age, you are essentially a bottomless pit. This meant that I was ravenous enough and fast enough to actually down each portion served before the next was presented, a feat that I think amazed the chef a little.

I went back there to eat for the first time in a couple of years, at least, over Christmas break and all I could think about as I was eating was wishing there was a Kanki in Michigan. (Granted, at the ripe age of 30, I can't stuff it down like I did as a teen, but I think I enjoy it much more now....)

Then again, I am ever-hopeful that somehow, someway a Holt Lake Bar-B-Q joint (or any place that serves up Eastern NC-style Q) will open here in Michigan. I haven't had a decent plate of Q in years. I think I need to figure out how to do it on my own.... *sigh*
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #22
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Don't encourage him - now he'll go back, buy the game, hook it up to a car battery, and get it demolished while crossing the street.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:26 PM   #23
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Don't encourage him - now he'll go back, buy the game, hook it up to a car battery, and get it demolished while crossing the street.

Only if he can find someone to work with the holes and keep the power flowing.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:44 PM   #24
st.cronin
General Manager

I once got a double eagle on a golden tee machine while holding a burrito in my left hand. I don't know if that counts.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #25
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I ate at McDonald's and then played on the playground during a birthday party.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #26
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

One time I ate an entire box of Grape Nuts, shat them back into the box, and returned it to Safeway for a refund.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #27
ctmason
High School JV

My first meal as an 8 year old at the Varsity downtown. 'Nuff said.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #28
Danny
Head Coach

Sorry, to clear it up, it was the last hamburger at this particular location before it closed down. Now the closest Bob's is 45 minutes from where I grew up.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #29
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I ate at McDonald's and then played on the playground during a birthday party.
My son's birthday party, that is.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote