Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

OOTP 19

Spring is in the air.. well, at least for today here in Missouri.

MAKE. YOUR. MOVE. - Out of the Park Baseball 19 Trailer - YouTube

Out of the Park Baseball 19 - Pre-Order Now!

Out of the Park Baseball 19 Releases Worldwide on March 22, 2018

OOTP 19 features dramatic 3D enhancements, a redesigned interface, new scouting systems, ultra-realistic artificial intelligence, 2018 Opening Day rosters, and more!

Available For Pre-Order Now With 10% Discount & Early Access **Steam customers: Due to Steam policies, free Steam keys aren’t available for pre-order customers. The game will launch on Steam on March 22 with a 10% launch discount that will last for a week.**

The Houston Astros won a thrilling World Series last fall against the mighty Los Angeles Dodgers. Can they repeat as champs? Find out in Out of the Park Baseball 19, the follow-up to Operation Sports’ “Best Management Sim of 2017!”

We’re just as excited as you are for pitchers and catchers to report next month, so we wanted to let you know that you can now order Out of the Park Baseball 19 for $35.99, a 10% discount off the full retail price. And when you pre-order, you’ll get early access to the final beta version of the game on March 19, 3 days before the official March 22 release date!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-26-2018 at 10:09 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

The 3D in 18 is shit, and I don't mean aesthetically.

I mean 'oh look the ball beat the player to the bag by a full three seconds. Nope, fuck you, he's safe.'

Or 'oh look your base stealer was on 2nd when the ball was still passing the mound. Nope, fuck you, he's out.'

If they can't do better than that in 19, they need to just get rid of that entire fucking feature.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Interested in the new UI. For as much as I used to play OOTP and still support it, I really don't like the team screen interfaces. Particularly, the roster screens and how much tedious clicking I have to go through to see all the various players or see stats, ratings, etc., separated by players/pitchers, and the rosters and other info for the ML club and the minor league teams. I've grown to hate it. I hope this is part of any UI overhaul.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Interested in the new UI. For as much as I used to play OOTP and still support it, I really don't like the team screen interfaces. Particularly, the roster screens and how much tedious clicking I have to go through to see all the various players or see stats, ratings, etc., separated by players/pitchers, and the rosters and other info for the ML club and the minor league teams. I've grown to hate it. I hope this is part of any UI overhaul.

Click on the 2nd link in my first post, it has screenshots.. UI is MUCH cleaner - in fact, about as clean as you can get it for a baseball game and all of its stats, IMHO.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post

I mean 'oh look the ball beat the player to the bag by a full three seconds. Nope, fuck you, he's safe.'

Or 'oh look your base stealer was on 2nd when the ball was still passing the mound. Nope, fuck you, he's out.'

If they can't do better than that in 19, they need to just get rid of that entire fucking feature.

It had its quirks for sure.. but at least it gave me some sort of picture on what's happening during a game. It wasn't perfect, but there is no doubt they have kept working on improving it.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Click on the 2nd link in my first post, it has screenshots.. UI is MUCH cleaner - in fact, about as clean as you can get it for a baseball game and all of its stats, IMHO.

looking through the screens...when did Hal Steinbrenner buy the Astros?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
looking through the screens...when did Hal Steinbrenner buy the Astros?

HAHA.. good catch!
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 PM   #8
dunkem
Mascot

Quote:

Like I've said before, I'm not sure why they can't get the 3d stuff right if old school earl weaver and microleague could in their day with less space and less processing power. I even wonder how much could it cost to even buy the front page sports graphical interface and slap their sim engine behind it. Then again, same cold be said of FOF I guess.
dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:11 AM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkem View Post
Like I've said before, I'm not sure why they can't get the 3d stuff right if old school earl weaver and microleague could in their day with less space and less processing power. I even wonder how much could it cost to even buy the front page sports graphical interface and slap their sim engine behind it. Then again, same cold be said of FOF I guess.

Those games had entire development teams and budgets. OOTP has like two. Also merging code is no small feat. Seems like it should be a simple thing like remixing a record, but it's not.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The 3D stuff was a giant leap for this series and like I said, will continue to get better and better. How many text sims even have a 3D element?

I've gone on the record before, but to me there is no better sports sim on the market than OOTP and every year Markus & Co seem to amaze me at what they can accomplish in a year.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:06 AM   #11
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

they need to drop the 3D shit, its just shit. even if it worked, it adds nothing to the game.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'm all for improving the 3D. I've never played so many games out and I've had every version since OOTP2. Hell, I've never played out a 162 game season in my life until OOTP18.

Yeah, there are definitely quirks in the 3D but I'm happy that they continue to develop and improve it.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #13
Johnny93g
College Starter

Yesterday, in my online league, a member just assumed the sim was done. It was the 2nd sim of the offseason. So he downloaded in game what he thought was the new file....

Well, there was no new file, it downloaded the same file he already had, which Marcus told me can't happen 4 years ago.

This guy didn't see any progress or changes in the league and exported without doing anything, which erased everything he did previously...

Just saying, this can't happen in OOTP...right
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
they need to drop the 3D shit, its just shit. even if it worked, it adds nothing to the game.

It's optional so, turn it off?

Separate coder so doesn't take away from other features.

Price hasn't gone up because of adding 3d.

WIP that is improved with each version. Obviously it was going to start out sub par by today's standards. No surprise there. v18 was the first version I used it and it added to the game for me despite some quirks. I'm looking for some nice improvements this year as, I think, they finally have a good foundation to build on.

After 3 versions(? ) spent building a foundation you think they should scrap it?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #15
lungs
Pro Rookie

A few of the things that do annoy me about the 3D:

1. With runners on base you can tell whether a batted ball will be a hit or not based on the baserunners. If they only go halfway, it's an out. If they advance, it's going to be a hit. A little variability here would be nice. Yeah, some hits are going to be obvious off the crack of the bat. But some I'd like to see runners go halfway and wait to see if the ball is caught or not.

2. Timing on runners scoring from first is often not right. The ball is back into the infield already as the runner isn't even to third. Yet the runner rounds third and heads home while the shortstop holds the ball.

Those two and the aforementioned timing issues on steals and safe/out calls are definitely things I'd like to see fixed. But overall, I still love the 3D and am happy that it's one of the headline feature improvements for OOTP19.

Last edited by lungs : 01-27-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but to me there is no better sports sim on the market than OOTP

You really should see a doctor about that.

Surely there's something modern science can do to help.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:47 PM   #17
MrBug708
Head Coach

I don't know how anyone can say anything other than FM isn't the best. I get not liking it because you just aren't a fan of soccer but as far as text sims go, it's the gold standard
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post

Lighten up Francis. There's this setting where you can turn it off and then you don't have to see it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I don't know how anyone can say anything other than FM isn't the best. I get not liking it because you just aren't a fan of soccer but as far as text sims go, it's the gold standard

How dare people have other tastes?

You think FM. He thinks OOTP. I say it's apples to oranges.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
How dare people have other tastes?

You think FM. He thinks OOTP. I say it's apples to oranges.

I'm guessing you wanted to miss the point.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #21
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

FM is the gold standard as far as having the sim engine take care of most of the tasks for you. Its fun and a great sim but a little bit on the easy side.

OOTP has become the 1a to FM. Still dont understand why FOFC shits on it so bad every single year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

There isn't anything as good, so I have accepted it for what it is. I think it's just one of those deals where it could be so much better that's frustrating. But then, that's FOF too.

I just turn off what I dislike. I haven't played out a game in OOTP in probably a decade. For what it does, it's still lightning quick too. It's been a reliable part of my simming life for so long I can barely remember what it was like without it, actually I do. Pen and paper. Then FPS Baseball which when I played it, I wished it was like OOTP back then but had no idea we'd ever get there. Even thinking back to Mogul and then moving to the vast world that was OOTP5, seemed like a huge step. So thinking about how much we're able to do now is fascinating.

I wish the universes were easier to share content from -- HTML is super slow -- but besides that, I can't really hate on it too much because there's just nothing else that comes close for baseball.

And FM gold standard or not, I have lots of quibbles with in terms of customization and deciding not to upgrade every year when I have to recreate an entire db after making it from scratch. It's just a lot of work.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-27-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:01 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
A few of the things that do annoy me about the 3D:

1. With runners on base you can tell whether a batted ball will be a hit or not based on the baserunners. If they only go halfway, it's an out. If they advance, it's going to be a hit. A little variability here would be nice. Yeah, some hits are going to be obvious off the crack of the bat. But some I'd like to see runners go halfway and wait to see if the ball is caught or not.

2. Timing on runners scoring from first is often not right. The ball is back into the infield already as the runner isn't even to third. Yet the runner rounds third and heads home while the shortstop holds the ball.

Those two and the aforementioned timing issues on steals and safe/out calls are definitely things I'd like to see fixed. But overall, I still love the 3D and am happy that it's one of the headline feature improvements for OOTP19.

#2 no doubt.. that one really takes away from the 3d portion
Old 01-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You really should see a doctor about that.

Surely there's something modern science can do to help.

Just my opinion.. I just play modern day with opening day rosters and start fresh each version. I get many of hours of enjoyment, ymmv.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #25
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Well, it's the game that gets the most play from me every year. So I will consider OOTP to be my favorite sports sim. It has just the right mix between macro and micro for me. I also buy FM every year, but to me, it's way too micro for my tastes.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #26
fortheglory
Mascot

It’s interesting to hear peoples’ different views of both FM and OOTP and which one they think represents the more realistic manager experience....which each does well and what each may lack. Obviously some people may prefer one sport over the other, but that shouldn’t be the basis for judging how good they are at simulating what’s it’s like to be in the manager’s chair.
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #27
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
It's optional so, turn it off?

Separate coder so doesn't take away from other features.

Price hasn't gone up because of adding 3d.

WIP that is improved with each version. Obviously it was going to start out sub par by today's standards. No surprise there. v18 was the first version I used it and it added to the game for me despite some quirks. I'm looking for some nice improvements this year as, I think, they finally have a good foundation to build on.

After 3 versions(? ) spent building a foundation you think they should scrap it?

that coder should be working on something useful.

I thought it was stupid 3 years ago. but thats me. Im fascinated to know what kind of market research they do...and do people really want it.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #28
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

no online play.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #29
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Lighten up Francis. There's this setting where you can turn it off and then you don't have to see it.

i only play online, so i never see it. but its a waste since whoever is coding it could be doing something useful, like fixing the financial engine.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #30
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

and yes ill be buying it soon

just hate the waste of 3d

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #31
RainMaker
General Manager

I like it and I think long term they have to get some kind of 3D engine going. I'd like to see finances and the AI improved but it's still a solid game.

Their biggest issue was catering to some of the forum regulars who wanted Kenyan underhand toss whiffle ball leagues instead of real baseball. But he does seem to be catering it toward real baseball over the last few versions which is a huge plus.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

As a rabid fan of the Front Page Sports series, 3D is a MUST!
Old 01-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #33
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a rabid fan of the Front Page Sports series, 3D is a MUST!

This. BB Pro 96 was a surreal thing of beauty. 98 was nice because of multiplayer but 96 was the one.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This. BB Pro 96 was a surreal thing of beauty. 98 was nice because of multiplayer but 96 was the one.

96 was the best for sure! Brings back memories of playing many seasons with my two roommates at the time.

That and FPS football 97.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:24 PM   #35
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I never use the 3D. I like the Facegen, and the info that is on each fielder's box. As soon as you turn on the 3D, that info disappears and you just get a bunch of generic robots running around on the field.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:02 AM   #36
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I never use the 3D. I like the Facegen, and the info that is on each fielder's box. As soon as you turn on the 3D, that info disappears and you just get a bunch of generic robots running around on the field.

Actually in v18, with the exception of the player's number, the info in the box is the same for both 2d and 3d, IE the facegen and info is there. The box is a bit smaller on the 3d screen so sometimes cuts off part of a last name and is the reason, I expect, for why their number is not listed.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Think I'm going to order via Steam for the first time this year. Will make patching much easier and I won't have to worry about it.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #38
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

I know I’ll get pushback from the usual suspects who don’t like the nuts and bolts of game and I know we haven’t seen videos yet, but wow the screenshots released today look great!
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

I'll be buying it. Have a craving for some baseball. Screenshots do look amazing.

Didn't see any talk of improved AI though. Did see this though.

Quote:
Tournaments have been enhanced with two exciting new features: the ability create a standalone tournament bracket, plus the option to draw any teams in history into a tournament. The possibilities are endless! You can also create a special league with games manually scheduled through the regular season - modeling European football with multiple competitions and trophies within a calendar year.

Not sure why they are so invested in making baseball soccer. There are so many enhancements to the actual MLB world that I can't imagine why they're doing this outside of appeasing a few people on the OOTP boards.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #40
lungs
Pro Rookie

Those screenshots look great.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:32 PM   #41
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Apparently OOTP has teamed up with EA to distribute through Origin ($30 for a yearly sub) as well as the normal methods (Steam, Direct).
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
I know I’ll get pushback from the usual suspects who don’t like the nuts and bolts of game and I know we haven’t seen videos yet, but wow the screenshots released today look great!

I'm at a loss for words. It's finally to the point (and better) than FPS Baseball 96 was for me.

Just things like the out of the town scoreboard looks truly like you're watching a real broadcast.

Can you imaging FOF looking like this?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #43
BYU 14
Coordinator

Okay, those screen shots are pretty special. Definitely a huge jump in this area if the on screen action matches up with the PBP.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:26 PM   #44
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Apparently OOTP has teamed up with EA to distribute through Origin ($30 for a yearly sub) as well as the normal methods (Steam, Direct).

Wait, you pay $30 for the game each year or what? Confused by this. I normally just buy through Steam.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:58 AM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I didn't look at the screenshots, but now that I have, I'm impressed they really cleaned up the UI. It's still extremely busy, but it's far and away better looking at least in screens than it's been for years.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #46
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Wait, you pay $30 for the game each year or what? Confused by this. I normally just buy through Steam.

This was the article:

Out of the Park Baseball 19 Partners With EA, Will Be Distributed on Origin - Operation Sports

Quote:
Out of the Park Baseball 19 will be available worldwide on March 22 on Origin for $39.99 or included as part of Origin Access for $4.99 a month. Fans who pre-order the game before March 22 will receive a 10% discount.

It looks like I didn't understand it right, so you pay $60 bucks a year for origin and OOTP comes with it along with other games. Maybe I mistyped the 3 for the 6? I have a newish baby at home so I really can't be trusted.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #47
Schmidty
Coordinator

I haven’t purchased OOTP in a few years, but I’ll be buying this one. Looks good, plus I want to support Jim. I really hope we get TCY2 because I still think TCY was a masterpiece.

Last edited by Schmidty : 02-28-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #48
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Not sure if anyone saw the walkthru that Marcus did but I have to say I love the 3D stadiums and the player animations which will only get better.

OOTP 19 - New Features Walkthrough - YouTube
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #49
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Not sure if anyone saw the walkthru that Marcus did but I have to say I love the 3D stadiums and the player animations which will only get better.

OOTP 19 - New Features Walkthrough - YouTube

Yes.. what a great video. Game looks awesome!

Going the Steam route this year and finally pre-purchased. Only like a week left!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #50
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Same here I think this is the first time I have preordered.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote