Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

"Don't Expect This Dynasty To Go Anywhere" Dynasty

Hello everyone,

I have written a number of dynasties in my time, but I usually run out of time/interest to complete them. So I am warning you now, especially with as busy as I have been--don't love this dynasty and don't expect update after update. They will just come as they come.

That said, if you're looking for some reading to do, hopefully I can provide that.

Anyway, here's the gist of it. I have been dying to give OOTP 6.5 a whirl and see if I can runt he sort of baseball dynasty I have always wanted to run, while giving myself a test as well.

So here's what I am doing. I will take over the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, my favorite team, and try to run them as best as I can. Here are the league rules and limitations and what not.

1. I will use SkyDog's settings as posted in the OOTP forum (although the effect that will have will be gradual as the current players are weeded out).

2. I am removing all basic ability ratings and limitng all other ratings listings to 1-5 (where possible), and disabled coaches/scouts. This will be a league where we determine ability with an eye toward the basic talent ratings and hwo the player does on the field.

3. I have turned on all rules (including 40-man) except for waivers, because I still haven't heard that the AI handles waivers or DFA's well.

4. The financial setup will remain much the same as default until I determine the best way to go about things there. My plan is to run the league for five years (if I get that far) and then evaluate where the league's finances are and make changes where I see fit to improve competitiveness while also maintaining somewhat the current power structure in baseball.

5. I used the All-in-One Installer for this league, including Halofan's roster set updated through August. I reset all injuries and fatigue, so everyone is (unprecedented) completely healthy in the league.

6. I changed the Divisional Series to Best-of-7 games. Sorry, that's always bugged me.

7. Halofan's rosters already have 2005 draft picks on them, so I will try to switch over to a June 1 amateur draft after June 1 in the first season(hopefully the game will let me do that). That should keep me from having a new draft class until next year and at the proper time. If not, I will probably just have a draft every offseason. As per SkyDog's settings, drafts will be 12 rounds and signing bonuses are enabled.

(Note: I just did a test run in another league, and it looks like this will work, with my first actual draft happening in June, 2006).

On a personal note, I am going to keep some house rules.

1. I can only make three major trades all year (no matter who initiates). I can only initiate a trade involving one of my own players if the principal player in the deal (on my end) is in the final year of his contract. A major trade is one in which a player making greater than the minimum is involved, or a prospect on a team's Top 10 prospect list or on the league Top 100 list. All other deals are allowed, unlimited.

2. I must maintain at most 25-man rosters on my minor league teams at all times.

3. My payroll cannot exceed my expected income (except in the first year, as it so happens, my payroll is already in excess of my expected income--I will not be able to increase it).

4. If a player says he wants to test the market, I cannot make him an extension offer. I can make offers until a player refuses to listen to me otherwise (but only once every two weeks).

I may feel the need to have other house rules as I come along them, but I think that should work for right now.

Lastly, I will be using a random event generator created by Bobble to add a little randomness to the league. Each team will get a roll at it each in-season month (including my own), as does the league. Each team has a 50% chance per month of having a chance at something happening (in other words, they have a 50% chance of rolling against Bobble's random events list). If the event that comes up cannot be done for practical purposes or simply cannot be applied to the team, it is ignroed and the team gets a free pass. If a team can have it happen, then a day will be randomly selected and a player (if applicable) randomly chosen as well. I have an Excel spreadhseet set up to produce the random numbers.

Well, I hope that covers it. Enjoy!

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

A Look At The Team

Here's a quick look at the 25-man roster.

ROTATION

Bartolo Colon (18-12, 5.01) remains the horse of the squad, although he has a lot to prove after a poor first half in 2004.

Kelvim Escobar (11-12, 3.93) might actually be the ace of the team now, and could have won a lot more games in 2004 with better support.

Longtime inconsistent starters Jarrod Washburn (11-8, 4.64) and John Lackey (14-13, 4.67) need to show they can bring the same stuff game in, game out.

Former Brave Paul Byrd (8-7, 3.94) is a steady and effective #5 for a mostly unspectacular rotation.

BULLPEN

The story here is "K-Rod" Francisco Rodriguez (4-1, 12 sv, 1.82), one of the top young dominant arms in the game. He takes over for the departed Troy Percival, now with Detroit.

Rodriguez is backed by one of the better setup combos in the bigs, including power pitcher Brendan Donnelly (5-2, 3.00) and the rubber-armed Scot Shields (8-2, 4 sv, 3.33).

The pen is rounded out by former starter Kevin Gregg (5-2, 1 sv, 4.21), former Tampa Bay closer Esteban Yan (3-6, 7 sv, 3.81) and former minor leaguer Matt Hensley.

This should be one of the better pens in the league.

CATCHER

Two-time Gold Glover Bengie Molina (.276, 10, 54) returns to handle the backstop duties. His defense wins him a spot on the field, and he's decent enough at the plate to not be a zero there. His brother Jose Molina (.261, 3, 25) is an effective backup.

INFIELD

Gritty field general Darin Erstad (.295, 7, 69) brings a ton of heart and a Gold Glove to first base, but he doesn't hit as well as most teams need their corner infielders to hit.

Across the field, rookie phenom Dallas McPherson (40 HR in AA & AAA, #25 overall prospect) will attempt to use his impressive minor league power to fill the sizable shoes of Troy Glaus, away to Arizona.

One of the Angels' big splashes in the offseason was the signing of defensive wiz shortstop Orlando Cabrera (.223, 5, 66), but Cabrera is going to have to return to the higher .200s, 15 HR guy he was before 2004 to make him worth the cash.

Adam Kennedy (.278, 10, 48) returns to second base and remains a steady if unspectacular presence at the position.

Supersub Chone Figgins (.296, 5, 60) will get his share of at bats filling in all over the field. His speed--which was featured by 17 triples and 34 stolen bases--is invaluable.

Maicer Izturis (.206, 1, 4) is young and could devleop into an exceleltn middle infielder. For now, he will help Figgins back up the infield.

OUTFIELD

One of the most consistent hitters of the past ten seasons, LF Garrett Anderson (.301, 14, 75), returns with the goal of putting behind an injury-plagued 2004 and pairing with 2004 American League MVP Vladimir Guerrero (.337, 39, 126) to form a formidable middle of the lineup.

Power should also come from smooth-fielding vet Steve Finley (.271, 36, 94) and stodgy longtime Angel Tim Salmon (.253, 2, 23). Salmon, however, will have to prove he can still bang the ball, or he could lose his spot in the lineup to Figgins or the up-and-coming Juan Rivera (.307, 12, 49).

Jeff Davanon (.144, 7, 38) provides speed and defense, but must rebound from an awful year at the plate in 2004.

THEY COULD HELP IN 2005

The following players, currently biding their time with the AAA Salt Lake Stingrays, could eventually help the big squad.

SP Jered Weaver (#14 overall prospect) needs only to prove his stuff for a while in the minors before becoming one of the next young star pitchers in the bigs. He is coming off of a year-long holdout that almost saw him return to the draft.

Ervin Santana (#16 overall prospect) was the Angels' star arm before Weaver signed, and he's still on the verge of hitting the bigs. With the Angels' starting pitching not looking too overwhelming, it might not be long before Weaver and Santana get the call.

There are a number of potential sources for relief at Salt Lake, but the best option appears to be closer Joel Peralta, a former shortstop who has worked hard to become the top prospect relief pitcher he now is. Lefty Jake Woods (Angels' #7 prospect) is another likely candidate for the call up, and he can both relieve and start.

The stars at the plate are 1B Casey Kotchman (#87 prospect) and the multi-positioned Cuban star Kendry Morales (Angels' #6 prospect). Kotchman has long been one of the best hitters in the Angels' organization and has just been waiting for a spot to clear up in the major league lineup. Many think Morales is ready for the bigs now, but, like Weaver, they will first test him at Salt Lake to be sure.

2B Howie Kendrick is a sweet-stroking middle infielder on the rise, and SS Erick Aybar (Angels' #10 prospect) is a defensive wizard who can also do some damage at the plate.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-06-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #3
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim still cracks me up.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:08 AM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Here's a look at my day to day lineups.

My regular lineup against both lefties and righties at the moment

1B Erstad
CF Finley
RF Guerrero
LF Anderson
DH Salmon
3B McPherson
SS Cabrera
C Molina
2B Kennedy

I don't really have a speed component to this lineup, although Figgins will get a lot of time at several positions. So I went with the few disciplined starters we had in Erstad and Finley to lead off. They also have better pop than such hitters usually have. Guerrero and Anderson should form one of the best power duos in the league, but I am asking for a lot depending on a rookie and an aging, injury prone DH to help porivde protection. The back end isn't a spectacular hitting group, but they can hold their own.

Figgins will see a lot of time, likely spelling players enoough to get nearly the same percentage of time himself as one of the starters he is replacing. Expect him a lot at 3B, 2B, SS and DH.

The rotation will run as follows...

Escobar
Washburn
Colon
Lackey
Byrd

I really do feel Escobar is my best pitcher, so he gets the Opening Day nod against Texas. The rest seem relatively interchangeable. Given the inconsistency of Washburn and Lackey, I have split them up to avoid morale-busting losing streaks. Colon doesn't seem to be as well rated here as in real life, so I will have to hope he can perform to his past standards. Byrd is an excelelnt choice for #5, I feel.

I won't go into the nitty gritty details, but my pen will be built around closer Rodriguez, primary setup man Donnelly, and setup man/middle reliever Shields.

Old 09-25-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I took a gander around the league, crunched some very general numbers, and here's how the predictions look for this season, on paper at least.

AL EAST

1. Yankees
2. Red Sox*
3. Orioles
4. Bluejays
5. Devil Rays

Same-o, same-o. The Yanks look like the team to beat in the entire league, with pitching and hitting that ranks among the league's best. The defending champs will have to settle for the wildcard, but remain a contender as always. The other three squads all look destined for sub-.500 by a good margin.

AL CENTRAL

1. White Sox
2. Indians
3. Twins
4. Tigers
5. Royals

The White Sox look like they're going to run away with this one, and should be one of the best teams in baseball. The Indians and Twins will stick around for a little before falling back, but big bugaboos (pitching for the Tribe, hitting for the Domers) will be their downfall. The Tigers will stay in the lower echelon, and the Royals grade out as the worst team in baseball.

AL WEST

1. A's
2. Angels
3. Royals
4. Mariners

How disappointing to have the numbers point at the A's. I still think we can take this, and we are close enough to contend for both the division and with the Red Sox for the wildcard. In fact, it looks like we're the only other real contender for that wildcard spot, on paper at least. The Rangers are just on the outside, like the Twins and Indians, while the M's are gonna suck hard.

NL EAST

1. Nationals
2. Mets
3. Phillies
4. Braves
5. Marlins

I wouldn't have predicted this were it not for the Nats' early run in real life, but here they are. As usual, the Braves are probably severely underrated. The Mets are the only team close to contention with the Nationals, although the Nats are the worst division winner in the lists here, so anything is possible. There is no clearcut super team here, but there is also no obvious dead-end loser either.

NL CENTRAL

1. Cards
2. Cubs
3. Pirates
4. Astros
5. Reds
6. Brewers

The Cards are the best team in the NL, but they will have their hands full fighting off a tough Cubbies' squad. The Cubs will be contending for the wildcard spot as well. The gulf between the top two and the bottom four teams is huge, although the Pirates and 'Stros will be respectable.

NL WEST

1. Padres
2. Dodgers*
3. Giants
4. Rockies
5. Diamondbacks

The Padres talent is among the highest in baseball, so they are a surprise champion contender. They are right there with the Cards. The competition is strong in the west, though, where the Dodgers, themselves a contender, will pull down the wildcard. The Giants are no slouches themselves, and will contend with the Cubs for the right to harass the Dodgers through September. The Rockies and D'backs are awful.

DIVISIONAL SERIES

YANKS over A's
WHITESOX over RED SOX

The A's may have been a surprise division winner, but they are no match for the Bronx Bombers, who may sweep. Many will pick the BoSox in the stocking-matchup, but the ChiSox are the better-balanced squad and will pull through.

CARDS over DODGERS
PADRES over NATS

As good as the Cards are top-to-bottom, the Dodgers are the best wildcard to come around in a while. This should be a nailbiter to the end, but the Cards will eek their way through to the championship series. The Padres are going to go through the Nats like they aren't even playing.

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

YANKS over WHITESOX
CARDS over PADRES

The White Sox have a solid all around team, but beef, bucks and "been there" is going to get the Yanks by them, and with a little bit of downtime before the Series. Meanwhile, the Cards will be in for the second straight tough battle with an NL West foe. The Padres will fight it to the end, all the way to seven, but the Cards have the experience and talent to overcome them.

WORLD SERIES

YANKS over CARDS

The best offense in the league goes against the second-best staff in the league, but the Yankees don't just have a little more offense than everyone else--they have tons. Plus, the Cards' arms will be tired from two straight series going full length, and a lineup that relies too much on the big three, and not enough elsewhere. Sadly for all of baseball, the Yankees will return to the pinnacle of the sport, and maybe with as much ease as the Red Sox in beating the Cards in '04.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-25-2005 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:30 AM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I ran the computer manager on all of the teams and then, using a simple star-based formula, I went through every team's minor leagues and cut each roster down to 25 players (75 total in each organization).

What that resulted in was some surprising names being cut and out into the free agent pool. It should be interesting to see who gets picked up and thrown into the mix around the league. Here's a look at some of the best free agents, including a handful that were already out there to begin with.

CATCHER

Slim pickings here. Vet backstops Charles Johnson and Greg Myers are decent enough holdovers, but that's about it. Former Pirates prospect J.R. House should get a look from someone, as he has a major league swing.

FIRST BASE

There isn't anyone here worth picking up, unless you like a has-been talent like George Arias, or catcher Doug Mirabelli, trying to get on a roster any way he can.

SECOND BASE

Bret Boone stands out here. The former Mariner can still swing with the best of them, although he's getting on in years. Amongst the best of the prospects, speedster Freddie Bynum, formerly of Oakland, should find his way onto a roster somewhere.

THIRD BASE

As with first base, the action at the hot corner is a bit slow. The best might be Nick Petrucci, a former Indians' farmhand, who still needs to prove himself at AAA before he gets a shot in the bigs.

SHORTSTOP

Continuing an awful infield group, this also looks like a bad position, although many fo the second base prospects can also play here, including Bynum. Another prospect to look at is another former Cleveland prospect, Jorge Sequea, who can swing a sweet stick.

LEFT FIELD

Prospect Chris Morris will find a spot somewhere because he's a decent hitter with the skills to play every outfield spot well. Otherwise, this is not a strong position.

CENTER FIELD

Among vets, the main standout here is Marquis Grissom, who should still be able to help a team. The one who will garner some attention, though, is a very good young prospect named Joseph Prieto. He was not cut from any team, but is simply available, and when the 22-year-old develops, he will be a powerful and disciplined hitter who is close to a five-tool talent.

RIGHT FIELD

If you can handle the enigma of an attitude that he brings to the clubhouse, you can have Raul Mondesi here. He still has the skills, but the key is getting him to try, while also keeping him away from the other players. Someone will give him a job--someone always does.

STARTING PITCHING

Pitching is always thin on the open market, especially starting pitching. And you know that's the case now, with knuckleballer Steve Sparks the "premier" name available. If you're looking to bolster the minors, there are some good players to take a chance on, including Bobby Bradley, Bob Keppel and Miguel Ascencio.

RELIEF PITCHING

The talent available here is ridiculous, and will be the most-tapped spot amongst mid-season signees. Les Walrond, Shingu Takatsu and Ron Mahay are all quality arms who will fill a spot in someone's pen. Former starting prospect Bud Smith is trying to come back from injury, and remains a top talent. He is joined by a number of other intriguing top prospects like Rhett James, Manny Acosta and Sergio Lizarraga. And I have barely scratched the surface. This is a very deep group of both vets and prospects.

CLOSERS

Derek Tate, a prospect with some growing to do, is the only player, be he vet or prospect, worth noting here, but with a middle relief group that will serve to bolster both starting pitching and closing, who needs depth here?

Old 09-25-2005, 06:55 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

PROSPECTS

Here are the top ten pitching and hitting prospects...

Pitchers...

1. Blake Hawksworth, STL-- The 21-year-old Washington native is the cream of the crop of baseball. The fireballer also has pinpoint control, and is briding his time at AAA waiting for an opening in the Cards' loaded rotation.

2. Parrish Castor, FLO-- As if the Marlins don't have enough quality young pitching, this southpaw has terrific action on an up-fastball. He's a long ways away from South Beach, though, down at Single A.

3. Francisco Cruceta, CLE-- When Cruceta is on, he is nearly unhittable, and he should break into the Tribe's rotation soon.

4. Greg D. Miller, LAN-- Miller has dominated from the second he signed a pro contract. He's still a year away, and the Dodgers are in no rush, but he's a future ace.

5. Zachary Jackson, TOR-- Jackson, a lefty, is one of many top arms the Jays have in the bigs or close to it. Jackson will be in AAA this season, but maybe not for long.

6. Francisco Rosario, TOR
7. Justin Verlander, DET
8. Dennis Sarfate, MIL
9. Keith Bucktrot, PHI
10. Scott Mitchinson, PHI

Hitters...

1. SS Matt Bush, SD-- Incredible range and glove at the most difficult position in the game, a swing that has been compared to Tony Gwynn, and a lot more power than the Padres' legend could miuster, too. This #1 overall pick only needs to develop to be a star.

2. SS Matt Tuiasosopo, SEA-- Another shortstop here to keep an eye on. Tuiasosopo reminds some scouts of ARod, a big hulking middle infielder with suprising grace in the field and massive power in his bat.

3. 1B Chris Carter, ARI-- With Carter's ability to put wood on the ball and his amazing plate discsipline combined with that lefty stroke evokes memories of former D'Back (and Cubby) Mark Grace, only with more power.

4. C Joe Mauer, MIN-- Mauer got a taste of the bigs in 2004 before hurting himself, and showed he belonged, hitting .308 in 107 at bats (and clubbed 6 dingers, too). He's the best young catching prospect to come along in a while, with all the skills at the plate, and a gun for an arm.

5. 1B Cory Dunlap, LAD-- Dunlap is another Grace in the making, and he and division foe Carter should make for some intriguing "best in the division" arguments when they reach their respective big league clubs.

6. 1B Chris Shelton, DET
7. 2B Rickie Weeks, MIL
8. CF Charles Hiser, CLE
9. 3B Dallas McPherson, LAA
10. 1B Prince Fielder, MIL

TOP MINOR LEAGUE SYSTEMS

Here are the top ten systems in the league...

1. CLEVELAND
2. MILWAUKEE
3. LOS ANGELES (N)
4. TORONTO
5. PHILADELPHIA
6. ST. LOUIS
7. DETROIT
8. LOS ANGELES (A)
9. BALTIMORE
10. TEXAS

Old 09-25-2005, 03:18 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of my minor leagues, here's a team by team look at my three farm clubs.

SALT LAKE (AAA)

The Sting Rays are scary good. There are eight prospects on the team who are sure fire major leaguers, and seven others who have either played in the bigs or have the talent to (even if they aren't really prospects anymore).

The rotation could compete with some of the worst pitching staffs--in the majors. And unlike those, this one's just on its way to really becoming something. Ervin Santana and Jered Weaver lead the way, and are both potential future aces. They are the top ranekd pitching prospects in the Angels' system. The rotation is rounded out by another bright prospect in lefty Jake Woods, and two older prospects in Eric Cyr and Scott Dunn. Long reliever Chris Bootcheck has started in the bigs.

The pen features Joel Peralta, who shouldn't be held down much longer. He is aided by good older prospects in Greg Jones and Dusty Bergman, both with major elague experience. Aaron Pullin, another solid prospect, rounds out the pen.

Why have one terrific hitting first baseman when you can have two? Casey Kotchman is a nationally-ranked prospect, and Cuban defectee Kendry Morales, who can play three other positions, is also on the squad. They are both just holding down spots until a job opens up in Anaheim. Sweet-hitting 2B Howie Kendrick and great glove man SS Erick Aybar are another pair of top prospect infielders in Salt Lake, and they are joined by Josh LeBlanc, another 2B who would start on many other AAA squads.

Among vets, Rob Quinlan adds power and Josh Paul backstop savvy, and are available for quality injury fill in for the big squad. The outfield is less impressive, but does include Nick Gorneault, who should be able to make contact at a major league rate, and play very good defensive corner outfield.

ARKANSAS (AA)

There is plenty of talent here with the Travellers, too, although it pales in comparison to Salt Lake.

The pitching is very solid and deep. Dustin Mosely and Joe Saunders lead the way, and are young enough (23) to still be on the path to the bigs. It's not so likely for Daniel Davidson, who matches the first two pitch-for-pitch, but is a year older. Waiting in the wings is 2005 first round pick Trevor Bell, holding a spot in the pen. There is a number of higher end pen prospects, but it's tougher to rate them at this point in their development. Aside from Bell, the standouts appear to be setup man Matt Wilhite and closer William Collazo, although Collazo is probably marginal and already 25.

Hitting is not so significantly talented as the big team. The top two hitters are behind the plate, where Jeff Mathis's defensive skills are at war with Mike Napoli's superior plate discipline. Another notable is Ryan Mount, a slick-fielding SS who is also a very consistent hitter at the plate.

This team also has Brandon Wood, a SS who in 2005 led all of baseball in homeruns through the end of the minor league season and in extra base hits as well. Unfortunately, the roster set provided doesn't rate him so high, as this year has been a bit of a surprise. So he is looked upon as a bit of a mediocre prospect.

RANCHO CUCAMONGA (A)

Once again, pitching is strong with the Quakes, although the rotation isn't as strong as the other two farm clubs. The biggest name prospect of the bunch is Steve Shell, and he's really no better than the other starters.

The pen, however, is loaded, and includes Joe Torres, who probably should be starting. Tim Bittner, Karl Gelinas and Chris Hunter are all top notch relief prospects, and closing is handled by another good one, Fernando Rodriguez, although he isn't likely to be a star in the bigs.

Although the hitting is not filled with standouts, it does feature 2B Drew Toussaint, the Angels' best hitting prospect not named McPherson. He has a ways to go, but he looks like a premier talent. SS Sean Rodriguez is the best of the rest, but the lineup is mostly iffy around Toussaint. After Rodriguez, the notable names are prime table setter 2B Nate Sutton, defensive middle infielder Alberto Callaspo, RF Matt Pail and CF Dontavious McDowell, of Tucker HS fame (and, yes, it actually says "Tucker HS" in the game, go tell SkyDog ).

Old 09-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And it begins...the season kicks off on March 30 in the game, although the first game isn't until April 3 (Boston @ New York Yankees)

Teams Make Roster Moves (March 30)

Around the league, the computers get their first crack at making their own adjustments to the squads, and a ton of promoting and demoting takes place.

No free agents are signed, but Japanese MR Otomaro Masaru announced he has been freed from his contract with his Japanese Baseball League club and will submit his papers to become a free agent in the United States. The 30-year-old soft thrower has pinpoint control, and scouts say he can be a decent arm out of the pen. No rumors yet as to whom might be interested in signing him.

Florida Prospect Missing (March 31)

The Marlins' prospect SP Jason Vargas was reported missing by family members after he failed to return from a yachting trip in Florida. The pitcher, the Marlins #2 prospect and ranked 75th by Baseball America, reportedly took the yacht out of the Miami port Thursday afternoon with friends.

The United States Coast Guard has begun a search of the Florida coastline in hopes of tracking down the missing player and his friends. Foul play is not expected, but authorities aren't ruling out anything.

Vargas bought the yacht as a gift to himself for earning some of the bonus money he received as a high draft pick in 2003. He was only supposed to go out on a three-day tour before returning to port and reporting to Jupiter, FL, the home of the Marlins' Single A affiliate.

ChiSox, 'Stros Exchange Sluggers; Braves Pick Up Outfielder (April 1)

The Astros and White Sox pulled off the first major trade of the new season, with the Chicago team looking for more offense from the hot corner by acquiring 3B Morgan Ensberg for vet RF Jermaine Dye and Single A prospect SP Wes Whisler.

Ensberg hit just 10 HRs last season, but clubbed 25 two years ago. He will compete with Joe Crede for the start at 3B, while the White Sox shouldn't miss removing Dye from a loaded outfield that already includes Scott Posednik, Aaron Rowand, and Carl Everett. Ensberg is also younger than Dye (29 to 31) and cheaper (making close to the minimum against $5 M through 2006 for Dye).

The Astros' gain a legitimate proven power bat for their lineup, helping to fill the hole left by the departure of Carlos Beltran to the Mets in the offseason, and have Mike Lamb around to man the hot corner. Dye hit 23 HRs and had 80 RBIs in 2004. Wisler will start at Single A, but is considered just a decent prospect.

Comment: I think this is a deal that helps both teams field better overall lineups, although the Sox really need Ensberg to return to the form he showed in 2003.

The Braves acquired LF Todd Hollandsworth from the Cubs for AAA prospect SS Yuniel Escobar. Hollandsworth, a reserve with the Cubs last year, hit a surprising .318 with 8 homeruns in limited time, and should compete with RF John Barnes for a starting spot in the Braves' lineup. Escobar was assigned to Iowa, the Cubs' AAA affiliate.

Season Opens In Yankee Stadium (April 3)

The Yankees got some little measure of revenge for last year's dubious ALCS collapse, beating Curt Schilling and the BoSox on Opening Night, 5-3.

The win comes at a cost, though, as big time offseason acquisition SP Randy Johnson left the game in the second inning with tightness in his throwing shoulder. He was placed on the DL after the game, but is not expected to need additional time after his stay there. The pen, led by Tom Gordon limited the Sox to three runs over eight innings (two of which were charged to Johnson).

LF Hideki Matsui went 3-4 and drove in 3 runs, including a two-run double in the fourth inning. The Sox didn't help their own cause with critical errors by Schilling and 2B Mark Bellhorn.

There was a moment of prayer before the game for missing Florida Marlins' prospect Jason Vargas, who has still not been found.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-25-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:36 AM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Opening Day Pitching Dominates (April 4)

It figures that on a day when many of the best pitchers in baseball take the mound, that there are some true standout performances from the mound, led by 2004 AL Cy Young Johan Santana.

The Twins' ace was blisteringly hot in the second half of 2004, and continued that tonight, hurling a two-hit shutout. But he was nearly matched pitch for pitch by Scott Atchison--a second year former reliever. Atchison only allowed four hits, including the eighth inning double by SS Augie Ojeda, and the following run-scoring single by pinch hitter Michael Ryan. It would prove to be the only run in a 1-0 game.

Santana struck out nine batters in the game.

Among other dominant performances, PHI's Randy Wolf kept the Mets to one run in a 5-1 decision, the Brewers' Ben Sheets K'd nine Pirates on his way to a one-out-short-of-a-complete-game, one run performance, the D'Backs got a one run, unearned, performance from Brandon Webb in an eventual 6-5 victory, and the White Sox' Mark Buehrle five-hit the Tribe on his way to a shutout of his own in a 7-0 win.

Reds' pitcher Eric Milton was drilled by a comebacker and had to leave the Reds-Nats game after four innings. He might have ended up on the above list as well had he stayed in, as he had thrown four innings of hitless ball and fanned five. He has suffered a scratched cornea, but is expected to be ready for his next start.

Slew of Free Agent Signings (April 4)

Several teams signed some of the key free agents left on the market today as teams made final roster preparations for the beginning of the season.

CF Marquis Grissom signed with the Astros for $744,000 and was the premier hitter signed. He hit 22 HRs and drove in 90 RBIs for the Giants in 2004. His acquisition paired with the arrival of Jermaine Dye from the White Sox earlier this month has brought two new power bats to what had been a weak lineup.

The Brewers, Pirates and Indians also added pen help today, signing Otomaro Masaru, Ron Mahay and Shingo Takatsu respectively to low end deals. Mahay got the day's big money, getting just under $1.2 M. He appeared in 60 games for Texas in 2004, posting an impressive 2.55 ERA. Masaru is fresh over from Japan, and fellow countryman Takatsu (2.31 ERA, 19 sv) pitched for the White Sox last year.

Vargas, Friends Found Alive (April 5)

Florida Marlins' prospect SP Jason Vargas was found after a search his missing yacht stretched almost a week. The pitcher and two of his friends are okay, but are being treated for dehydration after running out of water.

Vargas reportedly said he got lost shortly after sailing away from the Miami port on March 30. Rough water apparently broke the radio antennae off of the yacht, making it impossible for Vargas and his friends to radi for help.

The three men are being treated at a hospital in Miami, but are expected to be released after a short stay. The Marlins said they have no plans to fne the pitcher for his trip gone wrong, and hope to have him report to Jupiter, their Single A affiliate, by early next week.

A Miami columnist has derisively labelled Vargas "The Yachtsman" and suggested the theme to Gilligan's Island be played at the beginning of all of his games.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 09-27-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

Great - I am really looking forward to seeing where this goes! w00t!
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:36 AM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

There's no two ways about it -- I expect big things out of this dynasty.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #13
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Wow, this is a very pleasant surprise!
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Posting so this thread is bookmarked for future updates

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:31 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ha, you guys are too kind.

Time to do some more updating. I said this would be a slow developing dynasty, but I always intend to come back to it.

So here goes...

Old 10-04-2005, 09:07 PM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Angels Take Season Opener (April 5)

One batter shook the cobwebs off of his bat, and another just picked up where he left off.

The Angels defeated the Rangers, 3-2, today on the strength of key hits by longtime Halo slugger DH Tim Salmon and big ticket offseason acquisition CF Steve Finley, in support of a strong performance by starter Kelvim Escobar.

Salmon crushed a two-run dinger off of Ranger's staff ace Kenny Rogers in the fourth to tie the game, and Finley knocked in C Bengie Molina with a single in the seventh for the go ahead run.

Sallmon missed most of 2004 with a variety of injuries, including the last month of the season. Finley was a key bat for the Los Angeles Dodgers in their run to the playoffs last year, clubbing the game-winning homerun in the dividion title clincher over the San Francisco Giants last September.

Escobar pitched into the eighth, striking out seven, and allowing just two runs to win his first game of the year. Closer Frankie Rodriguez went an effortless 1.2 innings to get the save.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:12 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Rangers Club Around Washburn (April 6)

The Rangers showed why they are one of the most dangerous hitting clubs in baseball, making the most of eight hits in an 8-6 victory over the Angels.

Six of the Rangers' eight hits went for extra bases, including a three-run homerun by 1B Mark Teixeira to blow it open in the third inning, and a two-run double by LF Kevin Mench to chase Angels' starter Jarrod Washburn.

Washburn had very little luck against the Rangers' lineup, allowing six hits, seven earned runs. two homeruns and five walks in 3.1 innings.

The Angels scored five runs in the sixth, thanks in part to an error by Mench. The inning was capped off by a three-run homerun by 1B Darin Erstad, but it was too little, too late.

MLB Notes (April 6)

The Atlanta Braves took apart the Florida Marlins' starter Dontrelle Willis, scoring six runs off of the young pitcher in a 12-5 victory. Much of the scoring came courtesy of C Johnny Estrada, with two homeruns and five RBI. But it may have come at a price, as offseason pickup SP Tim Hudson had to leave the game in the second inning with pain in his elbow. Hudson was diagnosed with tendinitis in his right elbow, and was placed on the 15-day DL after the game. He isn't expected to miss more than two weeks. Career minor leaguer Mike Porzio was called up to take Hudson's spot in the rotation...

The San Diego Padres won a wild back-and-forth game, 10-8, over the Colorado Rockies. The Rockies tied the game at 6-6 in the bottom of the ninth, then each team scored twice in the tenth, before the Padres finally secured the win with two doubles and a triple in the 11th inning. Rockies' IF Desi Relaford hurt himself running the bases after doubling in the bottom of the 11th inning, coming up lame. He was placed on the DL by Colorado after the game and is expected to miss at least a month...

San Francisco Giants' starter Brett Tomko threw a two-hit, complete game shutout to beat the Los Angeles Dodgers, 2-0...

Five homeruns, including two by LF Hideki Matsui, kept the New York Yankees in the game, but it took a 12th inning game-winning single by SS Derek Jeter to beat the Boston Red Sox, 7-6...

Oakland starter Justin Duchscherer allowed just one run to get the complete game victory in a 4-1 win over the Baltimore Orioles...

Washington Nationals' 3B Vinny Castilla crushed a three-run homerun in the tenth inning off of Cincinnati Reds' reliever Miguel Saladin to lead the Nats' to a 7-4 win...

New Houston Astro RF Jermaine Dye keyed an eighth inning comeback with his two-run double off of St. Louis Cardinals' closer Jason Isringhausen as the Astros scored three to win 5-3. It was Dye's second double of the game...

The Arizona Diamonbacks could manage just two hits against three Chicago Cubs' pitchers, including wild starter Kerry Wood, who allowed just one hit and struck out seven, but also walked six batters. The Cubs won, 3-1.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-04-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:02 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Finley Powers Angels To Win (April 7)

When they signed him to a contract in the offseason, the Angels expected CF Steve Finley to be a key offensive contributor, and so far this season, he has done that.

Finley clubbed a two-run homerun in the first inning off of Rangers' starter Joaquin Benoit to get the Angels off to a lead they would never lose, defeating the Rangers 6-3. Finley also drew a bases loaded walk in the fourth inning to force in another run, and finished the day 2-4 with 3 RBI.

LF Garrett Anderson hit his first homerun of the year, a solo shot in the fifth inning, and 2B Adam Kennedy and SS Chone Figgins added RBI basehits to supply the Halos with their offense.

Big starter Bartolo Colon made sure the lead stood up, pitching into the ninth, and allowing just three earned runs. Colon struck out six, walked three and gave up six hits. Closer Frankie Rodriguez finished off the game with his second save of the season.

MLB Notes (April 7)

Giants' controversial superstar Barry Bonds finished off a wild game against the rival Dodgers with a ninth inning walk off homerun off of Pat Mahomes to win, 12-11. Bonds' homerun, his first of the season, capped a comeback from an 8-1 deficit in the early innings. The Dodgers themselves scored two runs in the top of the ninth to force the final showdown. The top four hitters for the Giants--Alex Sanchez, Michael Tucker, Bonds and Pedro Feliz--went 11-for-21, scored seven runs and drove in eight. The Dodgers clubbed five homeruns, all by newcomers. Offseason acquisitions Jeff Kent, who hit two, and J.D. Drew cleared the fences, but the offense was mainly powered by hotshot rookie RF Chin-feng Chen, who also hit two dingers, and went 4-for-5, with three runs and three RBIs...

The Braves' Mike Hampton dominated the Marlins, throwing a three-hit shutout in a 9-0 win. Hampton struck out six batters. None of the Braves' runs came on a homerun, and every hitter in the lineup had at least one hit...

Oakland's Jason Kendall and Scott Hattieberg each clubbed two homeruns today, but still needed extra innings to beat Baltimore, 8-7. Hattieberg's second homerun in the 13th inning was the key hit that would win the game, although the A's had to survive a solo shot from former Athletic Eric Byrnes before putting the game away...

Calvin Pickering and Terrence Long got seven of the Royals' 10 hits, and drve in four of their six runs in a 6-3, extra innings win over the Tigers. Long hit a three=run homerun to put the Royals ahead for good in the eleventh inning.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Kendall, A's Win In Spite Of Missing Crosby (April 8)

The Oakland Athletics remained one of the hottest teams in the early going of the season, crushing the Devil Rays 16-9, despite the odd absence of SS Bobby Crosby, the 2004 AL Rookie of the Year.

A's management refused to comment on Crosby, saying that the shortstop was dealing with personal issues and that the team is behind him. Crosby was not in attendance at the game, nor did Oakland give any indications when he might return. Mark Scutaro started at SS in Crosby's place.

Oakland wasn't missing Crosby, what with C Jason Kendall's amazing start. Normally little more than a slap-hitter, Kendall hit two homeruns for the second game in a row, and drove in eight runs, or half of Oakland's total.

Kendall's season-high is 14 homeruns, and has only broken double digits in round trippers three times in nine major league seasons. Kendall went 5-for-6 today and also scored three runs.

After four games, the A's are the only remaining undefeated team in the American League, and one of only two such teams in baseball, the other being the Giants just across the bay.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-09-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:24 PM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Angels Backhand Royals (April 8)

Who needs Vladimir Guerrero?

The 2004 AL MVP has just one hit in his first 15 at bats this season, but the Angels' didn't need him, as their sixth thru eighth hitters powered the team to its third win in a row, 12-6 over Kansas City.

C Bengie Molina hit two doubles and drove in four runs on three hits, rookie 3B Dallas McPherson went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and a double, and SS Chone Figgins also went 3-for-4, with three runs scored and three RBI, as the Halos came back from a 6-4 deficit to win going away.

The Royals only came back from being down 4-1 early because of a throwing error by Angels' starter John Lackey. The pitcher threw away a ball into the right field foul area on a comebacker by C Paul Hoover. Hoover would come around on a triple by Wilkin Ruan, and that opened the door for a five-run inning by the Royals.

Fortunately for Lackey, the Angels' offense came to the rescue. In addition to the back end of the lineup, CF Steve Finley also remains hot, going 2-for-4 with a double and two RBI.

MLB Notes (April 8)

Rockies' rookie 3B Tim Olson made a key error in a four-run third inning by the Giants, allowing an inning to go on that eventually brought around two more runs in a game that ended with the Giants winning 6-5 in extra innings. The win kept the Giants as one of two remaining undefeated teams, while the Rockies are one of three major league squads without a victory. The other hapless squads include the fellow NL West Dodgers, and also the Mets. Pinchhitter Tony Torcato singled in Ray Durham in the bottom of the tenth for the Giants' second straight walk off win...

The White Sox used three homeruns and six doubles to power by the AL Central rival Twins, 12-4. Morgan Ensberg who was acquired from the Astros just before Opening Day, clubbed two homeruns and drove in four runs. CF Aaron Rowand also hit a homerun and drove in four runs...

The Brewers didn't show a lot of respect for the Cubs' veteran star Greg Maddux, scoring eight runs off of the future Hall of Famer to win, 9-0. Two rookies keyed the offense for Milwaukee, with homeruns by Rickie Weeks and Ben Van Iderstine. Weeks wasn't even five years old yet when Maddux first threw a major league pitch in 1987. Brewers' starter Victor Santos was brilliant, throwing a five-hit, complete game shut out with seven K's...

The Reds' pen blew what had been a strong start by Josh Hancock, who allowed just three runs in seven innings to the Astros. David Weathers and Travis Phelps gave up six runs on five hits in the bottom of the eighth inning, allowing Houston to storm back to the 9-7 vixtory. The late inning comeback made meaningless a strong day by Cincinnati's Adam Dunn, who went 4-for-five with a homerun, double and 4 RBIs.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-14-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

Whoa-whoa-WHOA!!!! Who's got the time to read these machine-gun style updates?!?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:37 PM   #22
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
I have written a number of dynasties in my time, but I usually run out of time/interest to complete them. So I am warning you now, especially with as busy as I have been--don't love this dynasty and don't expect update after update. They will just come as they come.
The last dynasty I saw this kind of opening in broke the replies and views records in a single dynasty thread at FOFC, after claiming the Golden Scribe for best FOF dynasty. So, I ain't buying it.

So, from one Matt to another: I'll try to read in this thread at times, even if it's baseball-related.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 10:09 PM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
The last dynasty I saw this kind of opening in broke the replies and views records in a single dynasty thread at FOFC, after claiming the Golden Scribe for best FOF dynasty. So, I ain't buying it.

So, from one Matt to another: I'll try to read in this thread at times, even if it's baseball-related.

Haha, a little bit of free time this weekend, so maybe I can move this forward a little.

Thanks for the support, MIJB, although comparing mine to the best dynasty ever is probably stretching it a bit.

I'll do my best.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:00 AM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Angels Tease, Then Blow Away Royals (April 9)

When a team is hot, it can sometimes be downright cruel to the teams it faces.

The Angels jumped on the Royals, allowed the visitors to come back, and then dominated the rest of the way in a 13-4 victory today.

The home team used separate three-run homeruns by 1B Darin Erstad and pinch hitter Tim Salmon to put away the Royals in the late innings after Kansas City overcame an early four-run deficit.

Every Angels starter had at least one hit as they banged out 16 of them. They were led by Erstad and LF Garrett Anderson, who went 3-for-5 with two doubles, one of which was the key hit in the four-run first inning that first put the Royals behind, 4-0.

Paul Byrd was strong for five before letting things get out of hand in the sixth inning. An offseason signee taking the mound for Los Angeles for the first time, Byrd finished with 4 earned runs in six innings and stayed around just long enough to get the win when the Angels moved ahead on Erstad's homer in the bottom of the sixth. Scot Shields finished the game up with three scoreless innings to earn his first save of the year.

MLB Notes (April 9)

Former Tigers' speedster Alex Sanchez led the Giants' offense with a table-setting five basehits, as San Francisco became the only team in baseball yet to lose this season in defeating the hapless Rockies, 11-6. The Giants hit three homeruns, including superstar Barry Bond's second of the season, and got a bases-loaded clearing double from 1B J.T. Snow to get their fifth win in a row...

Two eighth inning runs weren't enough for the A's to overcome five one-run innings by the Devil Rays, falling 5-3 for their first loss of the season. Oakland's young star hurler Rich Harden did not show himself well in this one, allowing all five earned runs, 10 hits and five walks in 6.2 innings. His counterpart, Rob Bell, allowed two runs in 7.1 innings, and 3B Eric Munson drove the Rays' offense with three hits and two RBIs. As if losing their first game wasn't bad enough, the A's also fell into a first place tie with the Angels...

The Giants may be alone at the top, but the Rockies continue to have company at the bottom. Both the Dodgers and Mets lost tonight to fall to 0-5 apiece. The Dodgers managed just four hits off of the D'Backs' Brandon Webb, and former Los Angeles Dodger star Shawn Green dominated his old teammates, finishing just a double short of the cycle, and driving in two runs in an 8-2 game. The Mets had a 2-0 lead going into the bottom of the sixth, but allowed the Cardinals to score eight runs in three of the last four innings to fall, 8-3...

The Astros used five pitchers to the Reds' one in Eric Milton, and yet it was the Astros coming out ahead in a tight, 3-2 game. Four relievers had to finish off a short (4.2 IP) outing by Brandon Backe, while Milton scattered seven hits in a complete game loss. The Astros are tied with the Cardinals for first in the NL Central...

The Bluejays' Roy Halladay, the 2003 AL Cy Young winner, dominated the defending champ Red Sox, striking out 12 in a complete game, two-run performance, leading the Jays to a 10-2 win...

The Braves scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth to tie a game with the Nationals, and then won it in extra innings on a run-scoring single by 3B Chipper Jones. The win gave the Braves four wins in their first five games and first place in the NL East...

Old 10-20-2005, 01:44 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Erstad Atones, Saves Angels (April 10)

Darin Erstad takes his defense very seriously. In 2004, he became the only player in major league history to win a Gold Glove in both the infield and the outfield, after winning the award at first base.

So when he makes an error like he did in the ninth inning tonight, he knew he had to make it up to his team. Erstad hit a two-run homerun just inside the left field foul pole in the bottom of the ninth to bring the Angels back to a 6-5 victory, after his miscue allowed the Royals to take the lead in the top half of the inning.

With one out and set up reliever Shane Nance on the mound, Adam Kennedy singled to right, setting up the game-winning at bat for Erstad.

In the top half of the inning, the Angels were up 4-3 with closer Frankie Rodriguez on the mound when Erstad's error on a grounder by C Paul Hoover allowed Hoover to reach base. Hoover would then go to third on a bad throw by Bengie Molina and come around to score on a double by 3B Mark Teahan. Pinch hitter Adrian Brown then drove in Teahan's pinch runner, Matt Diaz, on a force out at second base, to put Kansas City ahead.

The late game heroics overshadowed the fact the Angels dominated the series in sweeping the hapless Royals, and also the first breakout game of the season for superstar Vladimir Guerrero. The right fielder provided much of the Angels' early offense with his first homerun of the year, and had a day that fell just a double short of the cycle. Guerrero drove in three of the Angels' four early runs.

Both starters deserved better. Kelvim Escobar saw a shot at a win go by the wayside with the ninth inning comeback, while Royals' starter Ryan Jensen pitched a solid eight innings.

The Angels have won four in a row and are now in first place alone for the first time this season, one game up on the A's.

MLB Notes (April 10)

The Giants came back late in the game to remain the only undefeated team in baseball, beating the Rockies, 2-1. The Rockies used a two singles and a fielder's choice to push across the game's first run in the top of the eighth, before Ray Durham and Edgardo Alfonzo hit back-to-back solo shots in the bottom of the inning for the difference. The game featured a pitcher's duel between Sun Woo Kim and Jason Schmidt. Kim pitched seven scoreless innings before the Colorado pen blew a chance to seal the team's first win. Colorado is one of two teams without a win on the season...

The Dodgers used four homeruns, including two by Japanese import Norihiro Nakamura, to hang on for a 9-7 win over the Diamonbacks, and get their first win of the season. The Dodgers had lost their first five games of the season...

The Mets remain winless after the Cards took them apart tonight, 12-3. The Cardinals pounded out 14 hits, including five doubles and three homers. Two of the doubles came courtesy of star Albert Pujols, while another of St. Louis's big bats, Scott Rolen, got a homerun. Cardinals' starter Jason Marquis felt discomfort in his shoulder and had to leave the game after getting just two outs in the first inning, but team doctors say it's just a slight shoulder strain. Marquis should make his next start. The Mets couldn't take advantage of it, though, and have now lost six in a row, the most in baseball...

The Devil Rays used a five-run seventh inning, with key doubles provided by B.J. Upton and Aubrey Huff, to beat the A's, 8-6. Not only did the game bump the A's from a first place AL West tie with the Angels, but it also moved the Devil Rays on top of the AL East. The normally pathetic team is the only club in the division with a record over .500, at 4-2. Not all is rosey, though, as starting 3B Eric Munson strained his hamstring running the bases. While it appears he would only miss a week, the team decided to be cautious and put him on the DL. In the meantime, rookie Rico Washington was called up from AAA Durham and will split time with reserve Earl Snyder at the hot corner...

So what if he's 42 years old? The Rocket Roger Clemens needed less than 100 pitches to complete a two-hit shutout of the Reds tonight, with the Astros winning 4-0. The win was Houston's fourth in a row, and keeps them in a first place tie with the Cardinals in the NL Central. The division is looking tough early on--the Cubs and Pirates are also over .500...

Chipper Jones hit a three-run homerun in the eighth inning to bring the Braves back in a 4-2 win over the Nationals tonight. The win gives Atlanta five in six, and an early two-game lead in the NL East...

The White Sox didn't show much respect for the Twins' vaunted pen when they scored eight runs with two outs in the sixth inning off of J.C. Romero and Juan Rincon. Carl Everett cleared loaded bases with a double, and Paul Konerko and Juan Uribe also doubled in the inning, which saw eight hits from the Pale Hose. The Sox went on to win, 10-0. Jon Garland struck out nine Twins in eight innings of scoreless work...

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-20-2005 at 01:51 AM.