Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #1901
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think generally people are fine with pausing Netflix/Hulu, so an increase in price was bound to happen at some point.

I generally keep Netflix because its one of the few streaming services that has 4k HDR content (Amazon is the other). I tended to pause Hulu in the past, but my wife has Sprint and they offer the low commercial tier of Hulu, which I'm totally fine with for free. I frequently watch for a few months then pause HBO/Starz, etc. HBO is on pause right now until April. I have Starz as the moment because they had a $5 a month for 3 months deal and we are catching up on "Outlander" and I started watching "Counterpart".
Old 01-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #1902
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess the one thing Netflix has going for it is they have so much content. It's not particularly good but passes the time while you're doing something else. I do find myself throwing on random stand-up specials or documentaries a lot. But outside of maybe Bojack, there isn't a single show they have that I would be sad if it got cancelled. Most of the shows they make feel like rejected pilots from other premium channels.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #1903
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I guess the one thing Netflix has going for it is they have so much content. It's not particularly good but passes the time while you're doing something else. I do find myself throwing on random stand-up specials or documentaries a lot. But outside of maybe Bojack, there isn't a single show they have that I would be sad if it got cancelled. Most of the shows they make feel like rejected pilots from other premium channels.

Really? The volume lately has surprised me, true, but there are several top-notch shows - Stranger Things and Ozark of the top of my head are fantastic, and I've heard nothing but raves about Bojack, Bigmouth, and others.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #1904
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Really? The volume lately has surprised me, true, but there are several top-notch shows - Stranger Things and Ozark of the top of my head are fantastic, and I've heard nothing but raves about Bojack, Bigmouth, and others.

I think because there is so much stuff, a lot of it is underrated. I also thought Black Mirror, A Series of Unfortunate Events (which has ended its 3 season run), Narcos, Glow, Master of None, etc. have been fantastic shows in addition to the ones named in your post.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-15-2019 at 02:47 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #1905
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess Stranger Things falls into the really good show camp. I enjoyed it but its not necessarily my type of show. Ozark was good but there are a bunch of shows on Showtime at any given time that are of the same quality. I did enjoy Narcos but haven't gotten to the newest season.

Have they ever made a show that you'd say was in the top 5 of all shows at any given time?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #1906
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Master of None had a great first season. I subscribe to too much stuff I barely watch so Netflix is not something I pay for at the moment
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #1907
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Have they ever made a show that you'd say was in the top 5 of all shows at any given time?

Bojack easily fits that in my mind for a couple years (I'm behind on this season and don't keep up the way I used to). The first season of Orange Is The New Black maybe as well.

Alan Sepinwall usually releases a "top shows of the year" article every December.

This year he has Bojack 3rd, and a show called Big Mouth (also animated, not sure if its come up here) 7th.

2017 Master Of None was 8th
2016 Bojack 4th
2015 Master Of None 8th
2014 Orange Is The New Black 6th
2013 Orange Is The New Black 2nd (behind Breaking Bad)

In the past couple years his top 20 has seen 10-20 littered with Netflix shows.

Netflix certainly releases a ton of volume but the top tier of it is very, very good IMO.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #1908
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hell, I'm subscribing to Starz right now and I sure wouldn't say any of their shows are close to top 5 of all shows at any given time.

However, I'd say earlier Orange is the New Black was in the Top 5 shows of the year and BoJack Horsemen as well. Maybe Master of None. The Crown is more 5-10, and so is Dear White People.

That's a good amount of shows in my Top 10 for any particular year. Far more than HBO shows that inhabit those same lists.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #1909
RainMaker
General Manager

HBO has Game of Thrones, Westworld, True Detective, Sharp Objects, Big Little Lies, Young Pope, and a bunch more that I'd say were in the top 5 at some point in time. Plus all the old stuff like Sopranos and Band of Brothers that is better than almost anything Netflix has put out.

Netflix is fine. I just don't think they've ever had that big prestige show that demanded my subscription. Its always felt like they've pushed quantity over quality.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #1910
RainMaker
General Manager

Oh I did really like Daredevil last year. Season 3 was one of the best shows of the year. But that's cancelled.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #1911
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Glow was a pretty terrific show.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:36 PM   #1912
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I know they have pricing plans that allow multiple people to be streaming at once under one account, but with Netflix making noises about shared accounts I don't understand why they don't have "family" plan or something similar. I think a lot of people would pay an extra $5/month for that and it would help offset some of the freeloading.

Also, Hell or High Water is on now. One of the best movies of the past couple years imo.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #1913
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
HBO has Game of Thrones, Westworld, True Detective, Sharp Objects, Big Little Lies, Young Pope, and a bunch more that I'd say were in the top 5 at some point in time. Plus all the old stuff like Sopranos and Band of Brothers that is better than almost anything Netflix has put out.

Netflix is fine. I just don't think they've ever had that big prestige show that demanded my subscription. Its always felt like they've pushed quantity over quality.

We cut the cord from directv and lost Nick Jr. In it's place Netflix has all sorts of kids crap that they watch and enjoy. My wife also watches a bunch of cooking shows. As for me not much on there that demands my viewing but for under $15 month still worth it. We also have Amazon prime and I am sure I could find stuff there but their kids shows are kind of goofy and off the beaten path.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #1914
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Master of None had a great first season. I subscribe to too much stuff I barely watch so Netflix is not something I pay for at the moment

The 2nd season was even better. I'd put it as one of my favorite TV seasons of all time.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #1915
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
We also have Amazon prime and I am sure I could find stuff there but their kids shows are kind of goofy and off the beaten path.

Tumbleleaf is really good FWIW.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 01-16-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #1916
bob
College Starter

I think the first and maybe second season of House of Cards was the closest Netflix came to "prestige TV". The whole show fell like a, well, you know for a variety of reasons, but seasons 1 and 2 were great.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #1917
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Solo: A Star Wars Story is now on Netflix
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #1918
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You may just have a strange Top 5 then. I mean I really like Westworld and Young Pope, but neither were Top 5 shows in their seasons (2 for Westworld, 1 for Young Pope). Also not many place Big Little Lies or Sharp Objects in their Top 5 for the year.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #1919
Atocep
Coordinator

Even if Netflix isn't putting top 5 shows out there they are releasing enough quality content to justify the subscription for me. If they release 100 shows in a year and 85 are shit, but the other 15 are good then I'm fine with that. I don't care how much shit they release as long as there's enough good stuff to keep me interested.

Between Stranger Things, Santa Clarita Diet, Black Mirror, Travelers, GLOW, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Ozark, Haunting of Hill House, and Altered Carbon I'm happy.

HBO has been great as far as the top quality content goes, but I watch considerably more shows overall on Netflix.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #1920
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
HBO has been great as far as the top quality content goes, but I watch considerably more shows overall on Netflix.

Yeah. I subscribe to HBO like 3-4 months a year, while I usually have Netflix year round.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #1921
PilotMan
Head Coach

HBO is my #2 fav behind Netflix, and it's close between them as to which I watch more of.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #1922
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Steve Carell to Star in Netflix Comedy Based on Trump's 'Space Force' | Hollywood Reporter

Looks like Steve Carrell is joining up with The Office creator Greg Daniels to create a new Netflix workplace comedy called "Space Force" (yes, inspired by Trump's idea for a space force branch of the military), centered around the people tasked with creating the branch.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #1923
Atocep
Coordinator

Fyre is a great documentary. Strongly recommended if you want a true inside look at the disaster that ended up being the Fyre Festival.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #1924
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Fyre is a great documentary. Strongly recommended if you want a true inside look at the disaster that ended up being the Fyre Festival.

Is this the Nexflix version, or the Hulu?

I've heard the Hulu version may be better.

Like Steam?

Old 01-21-2019, 10:15 PM   #1925
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I watched the Netflix version. Didn't know their was one on Hulu too.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #1926
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

FYI this is Gamespot's summary of the two:

Forbidden

Quote:
So if you can only watch one of these movies, which one do you choose? Even knowing the fact that Jerry Media had a hand in it, Netflix's Fyre is the way to go. It's not as malicious right off the bat when it comes to the way it represents its subjects--or millenials as a whole--and Smith finds probably the best way to tell this story without getting too in-depth with McFarland's life. However, both movies present different sides of the same story. Fyre Fraud gives the audience more insight into McFarland's life, which the Netflix doc doesn't. So make sure to check out both of the movies, but make sure to watch Netflix's first, as it's the better one.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #1927
Groundhog
Coordinator

Really liked season 3 of the Last Kingdom, the 2nd half in particular.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:13 AM   #1928
PilotMan
Head Coach

Damn these bots and shills.

Like Steam?

Old 02-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #1929
Edward64
Head Coach

Been watching the Punisher. First season was pretty good (and way out there). I'm in the middle of the second season and not as good, they made him more human and toned down the heroics. But still enjoyable.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #1930
Atocep
Coordinator

The Seven Five is a great documentary that covers the corruption problems that plagued the NYPD's 75th precinct over the 80s and early 90s.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 PM   #1931
Groundhog
Coordinator

We're only 2 episodes in to Punisher. First episode was the most violent rom-com ever. Enjoying it, but does feel toned down (which is OK for me - would prefer the superhero stuff stay in the background in this series).
Old 02-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #1932
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
We're only 2 episodes in to Punisher. First episode was the most violent rom-com ever. Enjoying it, but does feel toned down (which is OK for me - would prefer the superhero stuff stay in the background in this series).

Then I think you will like Season 2 more. Less (but still a lot) of violence, less superhero stuff.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #1933
Ramzavail
College Starter

Abducted in plain sight was pretty crazy
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #1934
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post

We watched that yesterday.

I think that kind of thing happened way more, pre-80s, than we would know. This particular story was wackier than most, but so many families have these stories of "in plain sight" molestations. It was a private matter that families would maybe try to mitigate, but many people had no clue about grooming, pedophilia, or how damaging sexual abuse is to kids long-term.

Men who molested girls just "liked 'em a little too young." (or, like the brother said, were perverts), and men who molested boys were just gay and were morally wrong in the same way other gay men were, they just liked them younger too. In both cases, the kids were often seen as too flirty and shared some of the blame.

I went to a prosecution CLE recently where one of the speakers is a U.S. Attorney who was molested as a kid. Obviously he was a kid, so it's different then those hapless parents in the documentary, but it didn't occur to him that this was something that shouldn't have been happening to him until, years later, he watched that 80s' Different Strokes episode with the bike shop molester. He finally disclosed after that. He talked about how when the kind detective told him, "I believe you," it rocked his world because until that moment, he never considered that someone might not believe him, like, why the hell would he make this up?

We've gotten really good as a society on awareness and education of this stuff, but, I think we still risk pushing it back into the shadows with the growing culture of non-believing of victims. And I know not all victims are truthful, and of course people can't be punished for these things lightly, but, this is the new way this stuff stays within families, the new way molesters keep thing secret - "nobody's going to believe you." So it's a tough balance.

Last edited by molson : 02-10-2019 at 11:26 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:35 AM   #1935
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watched "No Country for Old Men" again. That might be as close to a perfect movie as you can get
Old 02-13-2019, 02:52 AM   #1936
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Watched "No Country for Old Men" again. That might be as close to a perfect movie as you can get

Funnily enough I was talking about this movie last night with my wife when she was scrolling through Netflix looking for something to watch. I was so disappointed by the ending that I can't bring myself to watch it again, despite finding every other aspect of it just about perfect.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #1937
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Eh, the subtle ending is perfect. Like how Bardem just checks his boots nonchalantly as he's leaving after tying up his last loose end.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #1938
digamma
Torchbearer

Late to the game on some of these but I watched a Bird trilogy while on a flight the other day.

Bird Box (edge of my seat good)
High Flying Bird (parts were great, but overall, a little flat)
Fyre (hey, there's a Magic-Bird reference....and I thought it was really good)
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #1939
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post

I can't help but think things would have been different if the father wasn't living in the closet. B was able to read that dynamic and exploit it with both the father and mother.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #1940
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I watched both Fyre docs. I liked the Netflix one better because I thought it had a much more direct narrative of the events and spent more time on how the island workers were screwed. The Hulu one was still good, mainly because it had an interview with Billy McFarland, and the interviewer deserves props for not letting him off the hook.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:00 PM   #1941
RainMaker
General Manager

Both seasons of Roman Empire were good. I'm a fan of docudramas.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #1942
Edward64
Head Coach

Saw Conspiracy tonight.

Really enjoyed the first 30-40 minutes and then it seemed to drag on and really get depressing seeing how some that had doubts were steamrolled.

But would still recommend it for WW II buffs.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #1943
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Both seasons of Roman Empire were good. I'm a fan of docudramas.

I've been considering starting this...just started it now. Not bad, though they're already a little loose on facts with Caesar's early career (at least from everything I've read on Rome and Caesar).

edit: And they ignored Caesar's time as a captive to pirates, which is so absurdly awesome).

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-13-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #1944
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

edit: And they ignored Caesar's time as a captive to pirates, which is so absurdly awesome).

In case anybody else was wondering ... (i have a Masters in history and

somehow nobody told me about that particular event ), per wikipedia:

On the way across the Aegean Sea, Caesar was kidnapped by pirates and held prisoner.He maintained an attitude of superiority throughout his captivity. The pirates demanded a ransom of 20 talents of silver, but he insisted that they ask for 50. After the ransom was paid, Caesar raised a fleet, pursued and captured the pirates, and imprisoned them. He had them crucified on his own authority, as he had promised while in captivity—a promise that the pirates had taken as a joke. As a sign of leniency, he first had their throats cut. He was soon called back into military action in Asia, raising a band of auxiliaries to repel an incursion from the east

So yeah, definitely qualifies as "absurdly awesome". Well, maybe not for the pirates
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 02-14-2019 at 01:44 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #1945
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, Caesar and the Pirates would make a pretty awesome 2 hour flick. Pretty sure the only place I'd heard of it before was on the History of Rome podcast by Mike Duncan.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #1946
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I HIGHLY recommend the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden, centered around Caesar (and briefly Augustus in a followup novel). Historical ... Part-Fiction/Part-Fact? writer. He basically has a style of researching history, and filling in some blanks and writing a novel out of historical fact.

And does the nice thing of, at the end of each book, explaining "this is historical fact, this I changed because it simply wouldn't work right in novel form, this I omitted for reasons of pace, etc". They make for some very good reading, especially for fans of Roman history.

He also does a Ghengis Khan (and his successors) one, which is not bad, if you can get through the first book, and a War of the Roses one, which I personally had to slog through.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-15-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #1947
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
He also does a Ghengis Khan (and his successors) one, which is not bad, if you can get through the first book

Ahh, I didn't make it through the first book. Maybe I should've stuck with it. Someone recommended it to me when I mentioned I had an interest in the Mongols and also had read a bunch of Bernard Cornwell books.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #1948
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Ahh, I didn't make it through the first book. Maybe I should've stuck with it. Someone recommended it to me when I mentioned I had an interest in the Mongols and also had read a bunch of Bernard Cornwell books.

Yeah, the first book is a slog. Once the Mongols unite and start heading into China, however, they become very good reads.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #1949
Atocep
Coordinator

Just finished Russian Doll. Solid show, but I'm not buying the "best netflix series ever" talk. Natasha Lyonne is outstanding.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #1950
JPhillips
General Manager

Yeah, pretty much my take as well. I thought all the recurring roles were good.