Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #301
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
It is indeed Rad Racer. Long forgotten is the fact that it came with 3-D glasses and could be played in 3-D mode. Also, that there was a second car. And made by Square a long time ago.

I had totally forgotten about the 3-D glasses and 3-D mode until you posted the picture...my brother and I logged hour after hour on that game back in the day.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #302
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
MIJB#19 is now in the game (but remember- your freebie is your guess for today, no GSBs yet).
Woohoo!

Given the timing of my reply, it should be obvious I was not going to be back in time to make a GSB guess.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:08 AM   #303
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I thought it was better to not run a game on the 4th due to the holiday. At some point in the next 24 hours, there will be a new one up, of course: N64 Classics. So, like the Playstation, maybe it's a bit early for "classics" but who cares. Arcade classics on Wednesday/Thursday and then back to the NES well for NES Classics 3 on Friday/Saturday.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #304
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

N64 Classics

Today's Theme: N64 Classics

Like the Playstation Classics a couple of weeks ago, hard to say whether it's too early to name this system as having "classics". There's no doubt in my mind that the first two freebies are classics and one of the two silvers is pretty close.

Remember, both the 6 old unguessed freebies are open as well as all 10 new games. However, they count towards your one guess per day so if you know a GSB, better to go after those first since the freebies aren't worth any points. The standings and games list will be completely updated tonight (or tomorrow), once all games are guessed. Also, the freebies will be judged much tougher if you're already in the game (see Rules post).

Game Rank: GSB and Freebies

Freebie 1.

Freebie 2.

Freebie 3.

Freebie 4.

Bronze 1.

Bronze 2.

Bronze 3.

Silver 1.

Silver 2.

Gold.

Correct Answers
F1. Goldeneye 007 (Airhog)
F2. Mario64 (TargetPractice6)
F3. Banjo Kazooie (Airhog)
F4. Super Smash Bros (Coffee Warlord)
B1. Conker's Bad Fur Day (TargetPractice6)
B2. Pokemon Stadium (terpkristin)
B3. Paper Mario (NevStar)
S1. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (MattJones4Heisman)
S2. Perfect Dark (TazFTW)
G. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (N/A)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #305
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Bronze 2: Pokemon Stadium?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:09 PM   #306
Raven Hawk
College Starter

s1: Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time
Old 07-05-2005, 01:11 PM   #307
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Pokemon Stadium is right, Zelda:OoT is not.

SI

Old 07-05-2005, 01:14 PM   #308
MJ4H
Coordinator

s1 zelda: majora's mask
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #309
JeeberD
General Manager

I never played any N64 games...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #310
Raven Hawk
College Starter

G: Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Old 07-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #311
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I never played any N64 games...

Me neither.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #312
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Me neither.

Me either. Sadly (?) I recognized one of the Pokemon in the screenshot so knew it was a Pokemon game, then just guessed at which...

/tk
Old 07-05-2005, 01:32 PM   #313
Izulde
Head Coach

B3. Super Mario 64.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #314
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Silver 2: Perfect Dark
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:01 PM   #315
kingfc22
Head Coach

Bah...I knew both silver ones.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:54 PM   #316
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oops.. there goes my guess. (Guessed what someone else had already guessed.)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 07-05-2005 at 03:54 PM. Reason: i is a stoopid
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 03:54 PM   #317
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, so I can see this is the day back from a holiday. Raven Hawk- only one guess per day. The gold game is off the board- correct guess but by an ineligible player.

On the other side of the spectrum of RH's really long (and correct!) names, MJ4H (and a couple of others who have been doing it)- could you at least try to get the full title so I don't have to make a judgement every time I see a guess like that where it's clearly not the title of the game but I have to decide whether it's "close enough". It only takes 30s to go verify the complete answer on Gamespot or Gamefaqs or somewhere (tho Gamefaqs has some questionable ones from time to time). I'm going to let this one slide to make up for the X-Com one but...

Starting Wednesday, I'm really going to start going (harder) for correctness with game titles- take the extra few seconds to make sure there's an entire name because I'm just going to start counting them as wrong

EDIT: AFTER FURTHER REVIEW, NO LONGER TRUE.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-06-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:56 PM   #318
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, to clean up this mess: tk and TazFTW are correct. MJ4H is judged right. Izulde's guess was wrong. The gold game is off the board (no cherry picking, as per the rules). SirFozzie still has his guess. Bronze 1 and 3 are the only GSBs still on the board and there are 10 freebies floating around that you can pick up to get higher ranked in "games" but don't get you any points.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-05-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #319
MJ4H
Coordinator

you seriously are going to split hairs between zelda: majora's mask and the legend of zelda: majora's mask? come on, dude. would it be ok to leave off "the" from the title or is that going to count against us in the future too? (serious question -- if its going to be that anal im going to lose interest real quick)

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-05-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #320
NevStar
High School Varsity

B3. Paper Mario?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #321
NevStar
High School Varsity

Attn: Grand Rules Overlord Sterlingice:

Please note that the question mark was to put my reply in the state of a question, indicating uncertainty. I did not intend the question mark to be part of the title.

I hope this clears things up. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #322
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

B1. Conker's Bad Fur Day
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #323
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman
you seriously are going to split hairs between zelda: majora's mask and the legend of zelda: majora's mask? come on, dude. would it be ok to leave off "the" from the title or is that going to count against us in the future too? (serious question -- if its going to be that anal im going to lose interest real quick)

Problem is that every time someone doesn't do try to get the right title, I have to sit there and make a judgement call. And every time I do that, it gives the next person the chance to go "so, you didn't do it here, why now" like this discussion we're having here. Personally, I see a difference between leaving off half the title and leaving off a "the", obviously others feel differently.

Frankly, I don't care- I just want the minimum amount of bitching later in the thread so, anyone wanting to throw in a few words on the subject, get it out now. This is supposed to be a nice friendly game but it's gotta be fair for everyone.

Should I go with strict titles only- that way there's basically not much room for judgements. Or do we go with the baseball approach of calling balls and strikes where "it's close enough", which is what I've done so far. Like last week, I saw "Ultima III: Exodus" but let that slide (the NES version was only Ultima: Exodus) since I figured too much information was ok, as long as it was correct. And also, like "Pool of Radiance", it was released by that name for another system (technically, the NES verison was "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Pool of Radiance"), hence the ruling on both of those. The caveat with this choice is that it'll be like baseball and if someone wants to complain about my judgements, they're just going to fall on deaf ears- once I've decided, I've decided and no amount of kicking sand on my shoes and saying I need glasses is going to change my mind.

I'm not trying to pick someone out and discriminate against them or anything, but the people who test the rules are the ones who are going to find that there are judgements that have to be made. Lou Pinella gets thrown out of games quite a few times because he works the umpires a lot more than most managers. Finally, if everyone wants to take their ball and go home every time I make a judgement against them, that's their perogative. I'm not pandering for people to play this game- I think it's a fun idea, I hope people enjoy it, but I'm not going to change the game every time someone doesn't like a ruling.

SI

Old 07-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #324
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, so I can see this is the day back from a holiday. Raven Hawk- only one guess per day. The gold game is off the board- correct guess but by an ineligible player.

Doh! Sorry about that.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:58 PM   #325
MJ4H
Coordinator

i understand your logic, i just think being that strict makes it a bit less enjoyable. your call.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #326
MJ4H
Coordinator

i would just say if there is any ambiguity about the game, fine, i dont see a problem with counting it wrong. but with something like zelda: majora's mask. what the hell else could i mean? (I feel that way about x-com, since the other games have numbers after them, but i digress).

thats how i feel about it. i recommend doing whatever you think is right, but i do think it would be less enjoyable to be terribly anal about something like this when SPEED COUNTS. if i had to go look up whether it was legend of zelda: majora's mask or just zelda: majora's mask beforehand and then someone beat me to the punch, it would be pretty annoying. im just saying my piece. do whatever you think is right.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:53 PM   #327
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Do you think you could vary the posting times SI? A good majority of your posts are around 1pm cst. It makes it hard for us 9 to 5 people to even get a chance to guess. The last couple of rounds have been over by the time I got home, save that one evening post.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:11 PM   #328
Airhog
Captain Obvious

F1: GoldenEye 007

A true classic. I cannot remember how many hours I played this. My friend had a N64 and this was the only game he ever owned for it

Old 07-05-2005, 06:23 PM   #329
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
F1: GoldenEye 007

A true classic. I cannot remember how many hours I played this. My friend had a N64 and this was the only game he ever owned for it

The only other game that you need for the N64 is Mario Kart 64. Those two games kept my friends and I occupied for days on end.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:48 PM   #330
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Do you think you could vary the posting times SI? A good majority of your posts are around 1pm cst. It makes it hard for us 9 to 5 people to even get a chance to guess. The last couple of rounds have been over by the time I got home, save that one evening post.

I'll try to. My busiest hours are the evening rather than the afternoon which is why that's when they get posted so they will probably lean that way until my job situation changes, but I'll try to vary it up a little more- get some of those 7pm or 1am or something times to give everyone else a fair shot. I will say, it's highly unlikely that there will ever be any posted between about 5am and 10am, tho, due to sleep.

With all the GSB's off the board, I'm surprised to see not more people have gone after the freebies. Still some from as far back as the Sid Meyer/Will Wright day including some that people who haven't guessed today have already said they know.

As for the "title" ruling, I'd like to hear (see?) what more people have to say before making a decision.

SI

Old 07-05-2005, 09:22 PM   #331
Airhog
Captain Obvious

My thoughts on the title is you need to give the specific game. For example Zelda wouldnt work, but Zelda: Ocrina of Time would work. I think you should try to be as exact as possible, however I dont think you need to be perfect. For example, if it was the original zelda, and I said the Orginal Zelda, I think that would suffice.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:06 PM   #332
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Arcade Classics

Today's Theme: Arcade Classics

Most of these are really old and some have been more forgotten to the times than others. There are a couple of great arcade sites to help out with these and explain a lot about these games since I've only seen most old games in places like laundromats and you can only play Galaga so many times. Frankly, I'm pretty sure the gold game isn't a classic at all but it looked like a cool idea when I was reading about old arcade games so I went with it.

Sensing indifference among most players, I'll go with what the couple who had strong feelings felt- we'll keep doing it as is. If the game is distinguishable, in my judgement, by what is said, then we'll go with that- but try to be complete with your answer so as to avoid close calls. The one thing I will say to make sure of is that you specify which game is it- if it's the original versus the third or fifth or whatever.

Remember, the next possible day is Friday so everyone gets guesses for both today and Thursday (remember, they reset at midnight) with no danger of missing out on GSBs. There are still old freebies up on the board so you can bulk up your game count with one each day until they're gone.

Game Rank: GSB and Freebies

Freebie 1.

Freebie 2.

Freebie 3.

Freebie 4.

Bronze 1.

Bronze 2.

Bronze 3.

Silver 1.

Silver 2.

Gold.

Correct Answers
F1. Pong (JeeberD)
F2. Frogger (Wolfpack)
F3. Millipede (Chas in Cinti)
F4. Asteroids (kingfc22)
B1. Joust (TargetPractice6)
B2. Missile Command (JeeberD)
B3. Pac and Pal (Airhog)
S1. Tempest (Wolfpack)
S2. Robotron 2084 (MattJones4Heisman)
G. Tapper (TazFTW)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:10 PM   #333
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Gold: Tapper
Old 07-06-2005, 07:11 PM   #334
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

G: Beer Tapper?

/tk
Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 PM   #335
JeeberD
General Manager

Bronze 2: Missile Command

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #336
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

B3 - Pacman
Old 07-06-2005, 07:23 PM   #337
kingfc22
Head Coach

B3. Mrs. Pacman
Old 07-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #338
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Tapper is right- a Budweiser sponsored game where you do beer mini games. Sounded like fun to me. Thus, tk's guess doesn't count as having been made.

Missile Command is right. Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man are not right (if I had used those, they would have been freebies, most likely).

SI

Old 07-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #339
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Silver 1: Tempest

(Yes, I'm still popping by...told you I never played the consoles except through others and I haven't played anything besides X-Box at my sister's house in years....)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:37 PM   #340
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
Silver 1: Tempest

(Yes, I'm still popping by...told you I never played the consoles except through others and I haven't played anything besides X-Box at my sister's house in years....)

Definititely the classic Tempest. I wanted to get a more colorful shot of the game but was kindof in a rush. It's such a cool looking game for how old it is. As for console only, I try to mix in what I can, but NES/SNES are my strong points- so I lean a bit that way. Still, I'm trying to get all kinds of different games.

Oh, that reminds me. Tomorrow, I'll throw out an announcement about Guest Submissions for next Monday- how to submit, what to submit, etc (it would be tonight, but I'm heading off to watch a movie in an hour or so).

SI

Old 07-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #341
Airhog
Captain Obvious

B3: Pac and Pal

Old 07-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #342
MJ4H
Coordinator

s2 robotron 2084
Old 07-06-2005, 07:56 PM   #343
MJ4H
Coordinator

wish i wasnt late to this one. knew every single game immediately
Old 07-06-2005, 08:09 PM   #344
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

B1. Joust
Old 07-06-2005, 08:19 PM   #345
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Airhog got the elusive Pac game and MJ4H and TP6 pick up games as well.

Remember, even if you didn't get in on the GSBs, you can get in on the freebies (anyone can)- but like the others, you only get one. That said, I know there are some really easy ones out there for people to guess. Also, guesses reset at midnight so some people might get a chance to pick up 2 games this time around since the next game won't be until Friday/Saturday.

SI

Old 07-07-2005, 02:34 AM   #346
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Thirteen freebies up for grabs today from 4 previous games. GSB players- you get a free crack at them. Since guesses reset at midnight, everyone's eligible. You have a chance to get one of these all important tiebreakers- they're one per day just like every other game. Sure, they don't get you any points, but they increase your game total.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-07-2005 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:55 AM   #347
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Guest Submissions

Next Monday is the first Guest Submissions Monday. It's a chance for people to submit their own screenshots and games.

Guidelines for Guest Submissions
1. You are limited to the systems used thus far (Atari, Sega Genesis, NES, SNES, PC, Arcade, Playstation, N64). Shouldn't be too hard- there's a lot to work with there.
2. You are allowed to submit up to three games.
3. To submit, send an email with the subject "NAME THAT GAME" to rocket34*AT*yahoo*DOT*com (hopefully the spam filter won't get it).
4. The format for each game submission should be as follows:
Game:
System:
Link to Screenshot:
Suggested Rank: (Freebie, Bronze, Silver, Gold)
5. Keep in mind, you won't be able to guess your own games during Guest Submissions.
6. Also, I can't use every submission but I will try to get as many as possible, up to 10. I may change up the suggested ranking but I could also go with it. If I don't pick a game- it could possibly be because I had it saved up for a future game and you may see it there (at which time, you can guess since I'll use a different screenshot).

SI

Old 07-07-2005, 03:05 AM   #348
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

From the Sid Meier/Will Wright category

Freebie 3: Sid Meier's Pirates! (the new version)
Old 07-07-2005, 03:27 AM   #349
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

N64 F2. Super Mario 64
Old 07-07-2005, 12:33 PM   #350
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Damn, I missed out on these. This is my generation of gaming. This was the first list that I could name the whole list straight from memory. Usually I have to look things up. Great games!