Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #1
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The Hunt For McRib

The Hunt For McRib: A Prologue

Back in the late 80's, when I was just a little tyke, my mom would take me through the McDonald's drive-through. I would usually order a hamburger happy meal, or occaisionally a McNuggets meal. Big Mac? No thanks. Fish Filet? Not today. But then, one day, like an angel from McHeaven, a sandwich I had never had before appeared on the menu. It was beautiful...it was....

THE MCRIB!!!

Not unlike one Veruca Salt, I demanded that my mummy get me this mystery sandwich. My favorite food is, and always was baby back ribs, and being a naive 5-year old I thought "Hey, Ribs+McDonald's!?!? Jizzity-Jackpot!!!".

Nearly a week passed, and I had all but forgotten about McRib, my developing mind too focused on things like how far my finger could go up my nose, and why grandma smelled like old milk. On one sunny and mild spring California day, we went for a drive (mummy and I). My Speak-N-Spell commanded 100% of my attention. My nose caught an aroma. I dropped my Speak-N-Spell to the floor (cue multi-angle slo-mo replays of my Speak-N-Spell hitting the floormats). Some might say my first love was Meggan back in 5th grade. No, no, no, my friends. I had a first love, alright, but it was not Meggan. Yes, with that very first bite, my pupils dilated, and I became entranced. What were those weird little white things? This sauce, it was not quite ketchup, but not quite steak stauce...And the bun, my god the bun.

It's quite sad, really, when two lovers take each other for granted and slowly drift apart. It is. What is even more tragic is when your lover is cruelly ripped away from you. "For a limited time only"-I will never forget the dagger to my stomach (and large intestine) those words were.

It's been 16 years since I tasted a McRib. I can't even say for sure if I would even like McRib now---*Slaps self in face* Get a fucking hold of yourself, man. NEVER speak ill of McRib.

Well. Ladies and gentlemen.....I am going to find the McRib-even at the expense of my life, and my family's life. You may call me crazy...a McRib zealot...I call myself a man-a GOD-DAMNED AMERICAN MAN-who burns with an unrequited love from the inside out.

This is my story.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 12-15-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

I too have an unhealthy love of the McRib. I avoid the Arches at all cost, but the draw of that sandwhich is sometimes too strong. I had a friend/girlfriend in college who was pretty much a vegitarian, and she too could not resist the pull of the McRib.
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

The McRib is quite possibly the best fast food ever created in the history of mankind.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just saw the McRib tour on the Simpsons the other night.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

It's about the only thing I actually go out of my way to a McDonald's for anymore. Mmm...smashed-up-and-reshaped-into-fake-rib-pork substance in barbecue sauce. [Homer]Aarrrarrghhh[/Homer]
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The Hunt For McRib: The Hunt Begins

Last month, when I was in Alabama, I heard whispers about our favorite sandwich being at a McDonald's relatively close by. I didn't have my car, and my girlfriend adamantly refused to take a trip to find McRib, even though she is aware of my McFervor. Nada El McRib.

I plan on doing this dynasty until I get a mouthful of McRib in my mouth again. To spice things up, I will be running a contest. During my journey, I will be randomly adding "Mc" to words (see:McFervor). When I get McRib, whoever compiles a list of every word that I added "Mc" to will receive the cost of one McRib via paypal. Maybe that's a stupid idea, but I figure if someone can win something, they may be compelled to read

The hunt begins somewhere where you can find anything. Google. I will type in searches for the following: McRib San Jose, McRib Bay Area, McRib California, and Mcrib locations.

McRib San Jose results: 429-Fruitless.....All were incidental McMentionings. something about Jose Vidro came up. Maybe he's part of the conspiracy.

McRib Bay Area results:512-The second or third result is from MontereyBayopinions.com, and some guy named Jeff from Santa Cruz made a disturbing comment about Armadillo Willy's food:
Quote:
On what planet is this considered good BBQ??? Worst, most flavorless BBQ I have ever had! A step BELOW McDonalds McRib sandwich. And whats up with this pager system?

Okay, Jeff. I understand that you're bitter about an unsatisfying meal, but what does that have to do with McRib? Willy's is a sit-down restaurant, where as the McRib competes in the fast-food category. Just use common sense, that's all I McAsk!!

There's an online petition to bring back McRib. I have signed it, and I urge all of you McReaders out there to sign it, too! Every once in a while (which means whenever there's nothing else to post), I will post a quote from a McRib petition signee.

McRib petition

Greg Creager-Signature #752: The McRib is a time honored representation of what our four fathers brought forth to our nation. A barbecue rib sandwich is about as American as one can get. If a list was conducted of the most American food the McRib would fall second after apple pie. The McRib is a time honored emblem of knoweledge and American ingenuity. The only thing that could make the McRib a permanent success incrested in the Food Hall of Fame is to make it an addition to the $1 menu. I am speaking on behalf of all poor college students out there. Thank you for your time.

For MIJB:

Bart-Signature #507:HIERO IN NEDERLAND WIL IK OOK ME MCRIB TERUG HIJ IS GODDELIJKKKKKKKKKK!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Just a question about the counting. Does it count if Mcrib is used? How about if something you post that wasn't written by you contains a MC in it?

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
The Phat Eskimo
n00b

Never had a McRib, although I would love to try it...but I rember when Mickydees had like a flovuring for fryes and you but it in a bag with they frys than eat it....omg I could have died, also like you that limited time only crap took away those frys from me
The Phat Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:13 AM   #9
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Never had a McRib, and I think it's cool how Greg Creager thought we had four fathers. Putz.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:58 AM   #10
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i have a similar fascination with the italian chicken sandwich at burger king.

when they first started with chicken sandwiches, there were 3. the italian, french, and american i think. they kept the worst one.

then they bring the italian back once every 4 years or so...its kind of like my personal world cup. and i eat BK every day for the 2 weeks or so its there, and then its gone again, never to return until the next winter olympics/presidential election. fuckers.

i feel your pain.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:31 AM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's a seasonal item. It'll come around...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:19 AM   #12
Eilim
High School Varsity

Thought this might be of interest... McRib link

Quote:
Nothing satisfies like a McRib.

Here is the short but fascinatng history of this pork-based sandwich...

April 1990 - The McRib is introduced for a limited time. I eat many.

June 1991 - The McRib comes back for 30 days in a cross promotion for 'Batman Returns'. The terrible 'Honey Mustard McRib' is also available;nauseates millions. I eat one Honey Mustard, then return to te classic. i eat many.

May 1994 - The McRib returns, in a crosspromotion with the 'Flintstones' live action movie. McDonalds restaurants are temporarily called 'Roc Donalds'. I eat many.

May 1998 - The McRib comes out again, in conjunction with the opening of Disney's 'Animal Kingdom'. I eat many.

March 2001 - The McRib JR. is introduced for McDonald's new 'Taste menu'. Out for 90 days, this is a weak subsititute, on a regular hamburger bun and shaped starngely. Bad idea. I eat many, regardless.

November 27, 2002. McRib is back in it's original glory. I have so far eaten two. I will keep you up to date as to how many i consume before this promotion is over. Anyone have a guess as to how many McRibs I eat until it is?
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:16 AM   #13
Daimyo
College Starter

I think McRib goes back further than 1990. In Indiana we used to have it every summer as far back as I can remember (it was also a huge favorite of mine as a kid). I don't eat McDonald's much anymore but I know we had it in Chicago at some point in the last year because I remember my wife never had one before so we went to get her one. I think there are a few scattered McDonald's that have them year round -- I believe there is one on the drive between Chicago and Indianapolis.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #14
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Back in the early 90's in Chicago, I believe that the McRib was promoted by Michael Jordan and called the Jordan McRib or the McJordan or something like that. MJ knows a good sandwich when he eats one. Onward, hungry soldier!
Old 08-18-2005, 01:54 PM   #15
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Just a question about the counting. Does it count if Mcrib is used? How about if something you post that wasn't written by you contains a MC in it?

McRib, McDonald's, McNugget, or anything already trademarked by McDonald's doesn't count. And I have to be the one saying (typing) it. It doesn't count if, say, a petition signee said it.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #16
Whar
Mascot

The McRib is an optional menu item for any McDonalds. If you talk to managers in MickyDs they might add it for you. It is a permanant item in Germany so prehaps you need a European vaction?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:00 PM   #17
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Phat Eskimo-Sorry to hear about your loss. Maybe if McDonald's brings back McRib, we can work on getting the fries back...but I was always taught never to look a gift horse in the mouth

CraigSca-Yeah, I saw that, too. However, I can't knock a man who honors the McRib that much.

Pyser-I remember those sandwiches. I don't think I ever tried them, though...

MrBug-UCLA sucks. Stanford roXXors

Eilim-Thanks for that interesting link. My mouth waters just reading it!

Daimyo-I believe you're right...from Wikipedia:

Quote:
The McRib is a seasonal sandwich produced by the fast food restaurant chain McDonald's. The sandwich features boneless pork, pickles and onions on a roll. It was developed at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. The sandwich test-marketed very well in Nebraska and other Midwestern markets, where pork barbecue is a popular dish, and was added to the restaurant's permanent menu throughout the United States in 1981. It proved less successful and was removed after several years, only to be brought back on a temporary basis every year since. However, it is a permanent menu item in many McDonald's restaurants in Europe.

The McRib has a loyal and devoted following on the internet, including many who would like to see the McRib sandwich become a permanent item on McDonald's menu once again. The sandwich was spoofed by The Simpsons in episode 303, "I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can" where Krustyburger released a sandwich called the "Ribwich," but only on a temporary basis.

Raven Hawk-Remember that commercial where he and Bird play H-O-R-S-E for the Big Mac or whatever it was, and they shot it "Off the roof, over the overpass, nothing but net"? I shudder to think what I would do in a game of horse for a McRib.

Whar-Oh, it could be the sequel to Harold & Kumar
Old 08-24-2005, 09:19 AM   #18
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
For MIJB:

Bart-Signature #507:HIERO IN NEDERLAND WIL IK OOK ME MCRIB TERUG HIJ IS GODDELIJKKKKKKKKKK!!!
For RFUS:

translation:
Bart-Signature #507:HERE IN THE NETHERLANDS I WANT ME MCRIB BACK TOO HE'S PHENOMENALLLLLLLLLL!!!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:34 PM   #19
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Based on the McDirt I received from an anonymous insider (we'll call him 'whar'), German McDonald's' have the McRib as a permanent menu item. I went to the German McDonald's website and saw a picture of a real McRib. Holy dingleberries! It looks fantastic! This picture was a double-edged McSword, though, as it just taunted me like Becky Sanderson did. She was always so pretty, and so flirty, but she always had a boyfriend...or at least I think that's who I saw in her bedroom from my treetop vantage point.....But I digress....

What I'm eating tonight instead of McRib: Teriyaki beef shoulder and rice.

Five Gold Stars for whoever can identify what is pictured below:

Old 09-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #20
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Ode To McRib
by RFUS

On another planet,
somewhere far, far away
A little alien sits and wonders
who's eating the McRib today?

Do Nebraskan farmers eat them
as they mow their lawns?
Could it be a European,
a little kraut boy named Hans?

You see, in the wonderful city of Frankfurt
Mcrib is a permanent menu item
but in the states it's not
why does Mcdonald's refuse to supply them?

Many nights I sing for the sandwich
like a Baptist in a choir
but salvation is not what I ask for
it's the McRib that I desire

For McRib I would traverse the swamps
where there's alligators, it's hot, and muggy
If the McRib could be found in the desert
I would invest in a dune buggy

I would let Mike Tyson eat my children,
no, this is no fib
I would eat a thousand rusty nails,
just to have you.....my McRib
Old 09-13-2005, 09:01 AM   #21
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Ode To McRib
by RFUS

On another planet,
somewhere far, far away
A little alien sits and wonders
who's eating the McRib today?

Do Nebraskan farmers eat them
as they mow their lawns?
Could it be a European,
a little kraut boy named Hans?

You see, in the wonderful city of Frankfurt
Mcrib is a permanent menu item
but in the states it's not
why does Mcdonald's refuse to supply them?

Many nights I sing for the sandwich
like a Baptist in a choir
but salvation is not what I ask for
it's the McRib that I desire

For McRib I would traverse the swamps
where there's alligators, it's hot, and muggy
If the McRib could be found in the desert
I would invest in a dune buggy

I would let Mike Tyson eat my children,
no, this is no fib
I would eat a thousand rusty nails,
just to have you.....my McRib

Art. Pure art. It brings a tear to me eye.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:28 AM   #22
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

My best buddy, Glenn tricked me the other night. We were sitting around getting hammered when out of nowhere he busts out "McRibwich is coming back in two weeks.." Normally I wouldn't bat an eyelash, but the fact that it was so random, and the inclusion of an actual timeframe got my attention. I jumped up from the couch, bug-eyed, and said to him "NO FUCKING WAY!" He then replied "Yeah, it's coming back..." I had so many questions to ask (why? is it a movie tie-in? did you see this on tv? did mcrib look fat or old????), and I choked on my own words. Just as I was about to put together a coherent inquiry, he said "I'm just fucking with you, man".

SRTJELWTJ$#:J%#LJ#$L#MF
Old 10-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #23
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Dude, it's back, at least here.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #24
RendeR
Coordinator

All honor the mighty McRib.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #25
vex
Grizzled Veteran

*bows*
Old 10-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #26
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

It was in Evansville, IN as early as 1988. But of course, Evansville is one of those test market cities, so we used to get all of the new stuff early.... I used to get them no onioin.... then forgot once, that's when I started to like onion on my sandwiches... just because of the McRib....

-Chas
Old 10-27-2005, 04:10 PM   #27
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Have they always put pickles on them?
Old 10-27-2005, 07:27 PM   #28
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Yes, Vexroid. $%@%$^$ I was just in Oklahoma this summer. Man. Enjoy one for your buddy RFUS
Old 10-27-2005, 10:01 PM   #29
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, Vexroid. $%@%$^$ I was just in Oklahoma this summer. Man. Enjoy one for your buddy RFUS

I actually thought of you and your dynasty when I ate it. You want one sent via Fed-Ex or UPS?
Old 11-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #30
JeeberD
General Manager

Bad news?

The McRib Farewell Tour

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #31
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Last night, I saw a McDonalds commercial promoting it, "limited time, participating locations".
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 AM   #32
Raven Hawk
College Starter

The McRib has come to Chicagoland. Mmmmm . . . it was tasty.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:22 PM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The McRib is in St. Louis, yuck.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #34
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I saw it being advertised down in Charlotte when I was there over Thanksgiving. I don't think I've seen it advertised up here, though. I could be wrong.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #35
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

At last the Fat lady has swallowed her McRib and sung! Sorry but to me this ranks up there with the fried Gizzards KFC used to offer.....
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #36
Izulde
Head Coach

We have McRib here in Laramie.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:02 AM   #37
Swaggs
Coordinator

Just had one a few hours ago. It was deeee-licious.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:58 AM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I usually limit myself to one mcrib each time that it gets re-released. But this time i have had 2 over the past couple weeks its been back, and may have another tomorrow. And for anyone with a 7/11 nearby, they have/used to have a bbq rib sandwich that tasted an awful lot like the mcrib, one of those microwaveable tony roma sandwiches. Held me over during the dry spells.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:59 AM   #39
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Have they always put pickles on them?

Noobie

(yeah, i know im a bit late here)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:10 PM   #40
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

This is very distressing. That website says it's not in my McArea. I may never again be able to enjoy the enchanting sandwich that is McRib
Old 12-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #41
ibnsgirl
H.S. Freshman Team

The website said it wasn't in my area either, but the McRib is at the location down the street.... It lied to me!
Thanks to my supporters: TonyR (SA Griffins FC), sterlingice (Houston Hippopotami), TK (Real Terps FC), the notorious pirate AE (Puke Green Sox FC), Krondor (Krondor Lancers), Dark Affair (Orient Express), and tucker rocky (Jacksonville Kickers).
ibnsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #42
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Hmmm..So it's to McThis. I appear to have 2 options: 1) Drive to Los Angeles-the closest place with McRib 2)Risk never having another McRib.

I'm McReally McConsidering it now, since, according to mcrib.com, it's only there until December 31st, which is in 4 days. I only have $160 to my name, I don't have a job, and I'm in college. I'm still thinking about it. The McDrive is only 5 hours to the McDonald's on Sunset Blvd. It would probably take a bit less time, considering how fast one can drive on I-5. I don't have enough McMoney for a hotel room, so I'd have to make the immediate turnaround back home. If I left at 6 AM, I figure I would get there between 11:15 and 12:00, depending on how many stops I make. This would be McPerfect, as the first McRib's would have just come off of the grill (or whatever they cook them in).

What should I do??? I'm still young and stupid...I don't know if anyone would go with me, though. Would it be worth going for it alone?? Help!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #43
digamma
Torchbearer

Do you think McRib's keep?

I could pick one up and fed ex it to you.

I live about a mile from the Sunset Blvd. McDonald's (if you are talking about the one at Sunset and Crescent Heights).

Last edited by digamma : 12-27-2005 at 05:42 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #44
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma

I'll overnight one from Oklahoma if you care to pay shipping
Old 12-27-2005, 05:32 PM   #45
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Unfortunately the cost of McFuel is forbidding to the idea of your McTrip.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:25 PM   #46
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma

I live about a mile from the Sunset Blvd. McDonald's (if you are talking about the one at Sunset and Crescent Heights).

I appreciate the sentiment, and to answer your question, I don't know if McRib's keep. I don't think I'm willing to risk it.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:20 PM   #47
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I called my buddy Glenn, and asked if he wanted to drive to Los Angeles with me on his next off day, which he had said was Thursday. After a some prodding, he agreed. Actually, he sounded rather excited at the McProspect of a road trip, even mentioning checking out Hollywood Boulevard. When asked me what my reason was for the road trip, I paused for a second and said, "Uh, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and *COUGH*mcrib*COUGH*". He didn't catch that last part though.

The caveat is that he has to run it by his....FIANCEE
Old 12-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #48
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Wow, great thread, but, I never realized people actually ate those things.

But, I do understand, for I am a Lenten Filet-O-Fish fan. Starting with Ash Wednesday and then every Friday during lent, I enjoy many many cheap Filet-O-Fish. I say the hell with it, drive to LA and get the McRib you deserve! Of course I'd stop at a few on the way and see if I could get lucky.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:54 PM   #49
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Well, folks. This is it. Tomorrow, between 11 am and Noon, I will be embarking with six or so friends to Los Angeles, where I will be until New Year's Day. I will be staying a friend's house in Santa Monica. MY McRib quest will assuredly be fulfilled. I will be bringing my digital McCamera so that I can get pictures of me ordering it, eating it, and burping it.

I can't believe this is actually going to happen. I also can't believe I'm this excited. I'm thinking about eating one on Hollywood Boulevard as I stand on Ronald McDonald's McStar (if he even has a star). I also plan to eat one on Rodeo Drive, as celebrities and fashionistas pass by. I would also like to eat one on the 50-yard line of the Rose Bowl in nearby Pasadena, but I don't know if I can make that happen. I am afraid of what stupid look I'm going to have on my face as I order it. It's going to be a smile. Probably a huge, goofy smile. I may start to tear up when I see it on the menu. I've practiced reciting my order in front of the McMirror.

"Hi, my name is RFUS, and I would be honored to have one McRib value meals. What? Oh, this will be definitely be 'for here'. I want to bask in the glow of the golden arches as I am enraptured by the divine glory of the culinary perfection of which no civilization has seen the McLikes of.....the MCRIB!!!!"

And then. the girl at the counter would say "Que?"
Old 12-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #50
JeeberD
General Manager

Bring your camera, I expect pics from this epic journey!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote