Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
larrymcg421
Head Coach

FM 12 - Luck o' the Irish

All the recent FM dynasties plus the Amazon sale has inspired to do an FM dynasty. Now I'm no expert when it comes to soccer knowledge, but I've fiddled with the game for the past week and think I've got the hang of it. We'll see.

Instead of starting in one of the most established countries, I thought it'd be fun to give it a go in Ireland. Certainly not one of the major soccer leagues, but it has obvious appeal to me and it's something different.

FM simulates the top two leagues in Irish football, the League of Ireland Premier division with 12 teams and the First division with 8 teams. The last place team gets relegated automatically while the 11th place team is in a playoff against the 2nd place First division squad. In real life, there is a 3rd level, which is a mixture of amateur clubs and reserves from Premier division clubs, but that is not simulated here.

I'm running several other leagues - Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Mexico, N. Ireland, Scotland, Spain, USA.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The team I chose to run is first division squad SD Galway FC.

SD Galway FC was formed in 1977. They are located in Salthill, on the west coast of Ireland and play at the 6500 capacity Terryland Park. In 2008 they joined the inaugural season of the A Championship (Irish 3rd division). In 2009, they were the top non-reserve team and earned a chance at a promotion playoff. However, the team they were going to play disbanded and thus SD Galway earned autopromotion to the first division. They have not done well so far, finishing last in 2010 (3-6-24) and 2011 (2-5-23). Here's hoping I can at the very least improve on that.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-19-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So this is going to be even tougher than I thought. I have no transfer budget and my payroll budget is $850/w, while I already have $848/w going out. Thankfully the board isn't expecting me to do well at all, so there is very little pressure. Let's take a look at what I have to work with:

Goalkeepers

Liam Grant (25): The only guy I have as of the moment. He has decent aerial ability and reflexes, but is pretty awful everywhere else. He has worse hands than Ted Ginn and couldn't stop my mom in a one on one situation. I'll definitely be looking for someone else here, even if I have to go overbudget to do it.

Defenders

Eric Browne (33): Probably my best defender. Decent marking and tackling, but his physical attributes are lower than I'd like.

Cian Fadden (20): My scout likes this guy's potential and he's already pretty good in several areas. One major weakness is his strength. This guy needs to hit the weights.

James Whelan (22): Has one good skill (11 in tackling), but is pretty crappy everywhere else. Scout likes his potential, so I'll hold on to him for now to see if he develops at all.

Paddy Quinlan (25): Is below 10 in every key attribute other than concentration. A 7 in tackling and 8 in marking. At $70/w he's one of the highest paid players on the team and will be finding an exit pretty quickly.

Fullbacks

Nicky Curran (27): Definitely one of my most well-rounded players with no major weaknesses. He's also got great speed.

Michael Harty (32): Has some good physical skills and solid teamwork, but can't hit a cross to save his life.

Emmet Shaw (21): Has a mixture of some really good attributes and some really bad ones. Could be a decent backup at both defensive midfielder and fullback.

Midfielders

Ciaran Foley (30): Fast, strong, and relentless. He's the best player on my team, but his awful positioning makes me nervous about sticking him in the anchorman role.

Mike Tierney (29): Good teamwork and strong work rate make him an acceptable candidate for the support role, but he's a mediocre passer.

Eugene Greaney (26): Has some speed, but is a very poor passer and easily gets lost on the field. Also overpaid and will be heading for the exit soon.

Luke McConnel (22): It'd sure be nice if I had one midfielder that could pass the ball.

Advanced Playmakers

Robert Porter (24): Very physically fit and strong composure, but with a 1 in positioning, the question is if he can even find the field.

Oscar Sibanda (23): Can throw in some crosses, but gets winded very quickly and has some other major flaws.

Ronan Conlon (19): The best crosser we have, but still too green to be a starter.

Sean Gavin (22): This guy might have some potential and let's hope so, because he's atrocious across the board right now.

Brian Gaffney (20): Well, he can run fast, but is useless unless he develops.

Forwards

Enda Curran (19): My scout is really high on this guy's potential and he's already a solid finisher. Needs to work on his off the ball skills.

Jason Lyons (17): Scout also loves this guy. He's the best finisher on the team, but has awful stamina.

Gerard Dolan (21): Not a good passer, which makes him a bad choice for advanced forward, but isn't a good enough finisher to be a poacher.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Without much money to spend, I have to settle for guys willing to take amateur contracts:

ST Richard Stevens (21): Terrific finisher (14!) and a really strong work rate. I wish he was faster, but he's definitely starter material.

CD Hugh Davey (27): Good stamina, tackling, and bravery. I wish he was stronger, but he's good enough to be in the rotation and can play fullback as well.

CD Thomas McGauley (34): He's strong and has good heading and jumping ability.

GK Danny Holewa (21): Much better than Liam Grant and my scout loves his potential. he'll be starting right away.

FB Colm Horgan (17): Has terrific potential and is already good enough to earn a chance at a starting job. Michael Harty is going to tutor him.

I go overbudget to sign one guy that I could not let get away:

ST Alex Williams (29): Extremely fast and has solid finishing ability. He comes for the price of $150 p/w.

I try to make up the money by getting rid of Quinlan, but he isn't willing to terminate his contract and is pretty pissed that I asked him to do so. I tell him that he has no future here and he asks to be transfer listed. I do this, knowing that no one in their right mind would pick this guy up. He fails to report for training and I fine him 2 weeks salary.

After all this, I offer to terminate his contract a second time and he finally agrees to it without compensation. That makes up almost half of what I just spent.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
larrymcg421
Head Coach

January 28, 2012

Friendly: Sd Galway vs. Dundalk

Dundalk is a premier division side that is way better and I expect to get rolled, but it'll be a good look at what my guys can do.

I'm running a heavily attacking formation that has been pretty successful so far.

GK Holewa
WB Horgan, CD McGauley, CD Browne, WB Curran
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Williams, ST Stevens

13': Dundalk get a great cross to the middle set up their man, but the shot goes off the crossbar.

17': Off a terrible cross attempt from Sibanda, Dundalk's Griffin goes down the left side untouched and gets a great shot that Holewa manages to deflect.

19': Curran is hurt and I send in Davey.

25': Horgan is completely out of position and lets the winger run right by him to send in a great cross for the Dundalk striker, but Holewa deflects it and Browne clears.

43': Great pass from Tierney sets up a good attack on the left. Sibanda gets a good shot, but is offsides.

60': Porter makes a good run on the right, sends it to Stevens who makes a great pass to Williams, but he sends the shot wide.

66': Dundalk send in a cross and we are simply outclassed in the air. Holewa has no chance to stop the header. 0-1

82': McGauley with a beautiful free kick that Browne expertly heads past the Dundalk keeper for the equalizer! 1-1

89': Another great cross from Dundalk and 5 SD Galway players somehow lose out to Dundalk's Coughlan who heads it in. 2-1

91': Sibanda with a good run on the left, but his cross evades everyone. That was our last chance.

Final: Dundalk 2, SD Galway 1

Goal: Browne
Assist: McGauley
The top 3: Browne 7.4 (MOM), Foley 7.1, Davey 7.0
Worst: Williams 5.9

Shots: 2-7
On Target: 1-3
Possession: 40%

Can't be too upset about that performance. Not a bad effort since it was only a friendly and our competition was much better. The bad news is Nicky Curran will be out 6-8 weeks, but if Davey can keep playing like that it won't be a problem.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-19-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Three more amateur signings:

CM Darren Berrigan (31): By far the best passer on the team. Too weak in other areas to be a starter, but makes a good backup.

AP Alan Mulcahy (21): Good speed, teamwork, and flair make up for some other deficiencies. Scout loves his potential.

AP/CM Terry Gleeson (33): Versatile player that will be good in the backup rotation at multiple spots.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
larrymcg421
Head Coach

February 4, 2012

Friendly: SD Galway vs. Cork City

Cork City are the reigning first division champions and are about to enjoy their first season in the premier league.

GK Holewa
WB Horgan, CD McGauley, CD Browne, WB Davey
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Williams, ST Stevens

3': A couple smooth passes get Cork City's striker a great opportunity. Holewa deflects it and gets up in time to deflect the rebound shot.

6': A long clearance gives Williams a great chance, but he blows the one on one opportunity.

7': Browne gets beat by the opposing striker, but the shot goes wide.

17': McGauley with a free kick, but it goes over the bar.

27': Cork City get several great chances inside the box, but Foley and Browne play great to keep them from getting a good shot.

41': Tierney gets hurt and I send in Berrigan.

47': A great longball to Cork City striker gets him a one on one opportunity, but Holewa makes another great stop.

66': Dangerous Cork City corner is headed right into the upper crossbar, Browne gets the rebound and makes a great clearance.

77': Cork City send in a routine cross, but Browne finds himself turned around and accidentally taps it in for an own goal. 0-1

79': Some good teamwork gives Stevens a good chance just outside the box, but he hits it wide left.

82': Williams intercepts the ball with a great sliding tackle and finds himself all alone against the keeper but blows the shot.

91': Porter sends in a great corner, but it is just edged out by a Cork defender.

Final: Cork City 1, SD Galway 0

Goals: None
Assists: None
Top Three: Foley 7.3, Davey 7.2, Horgan 7.1
Worst: McGauley 5.8
Shots: 8-14
On Target: 1-6
Possession: 42%

Still preseason, but I'm not happy with what I'm seeing from my strikers, which were supposed to be the strength of my squad.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
larrymcg421
Head Coach

February 8, 2012

Friendly: SD Galway at University of Limerick Aisling

Since this friendly is against a university team and I have another friendly in two days, this is a good chance to get my second team some match fitness.

GK Holewa
WB Shaw, Fadden, Whelan, Harty
DMC Gleeson
MC Berrigan
AP Mulcahy, AP Gaffney
ST Curran, ST Dolan

7': Dolan gets a great feed from Fadden but sends the shot wide left.

31': Mulcahy makes a great run around the left side and sends in a great cross which Dolan heads in on target. 1-0

41': Gaffney makes a great interception, but should probably never be shooting. that was ugly.

45': Mulcahy is hurt, so I send in Ronan Conlon.

54': Aisling make a strong move down the left and a greart pass to the middle gets them a direct shot on the goal but it is too high.

57': Conlon hits a great cross, but Curran heads it over the goal.

61': Really poor ball control from us gives Aisling another direct shot from center, but once again it is too high.

70': Great long pass from Harty gives Dolan a great opportunity, but he takes too long to get the shot off and it is deflected.

77': A great give and go maneuver from Gaffney and Dolan finds the latter in the penalty area. He dribbles around the keeper and sends int he easy shot. 2-0.

83': Aisling penetrate our defense once again, but once again hit a terrible shot.

Final: SD Galway 2, University of Limerick Aisling 0

Goals: Dolan 2
Assists: Mulcahy, Gaffney
Top Three: Dolan 8.8 (MOM), Harty 7.7, Gaffney 7.4
Worst: Holewa 6.7
Shots: 7-6
On Target: 2-1
Possession: 43%

Mulcahy will be out for 6-8 weeks.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-20-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
larrymcg421
Head Coach

February 10, 2012

Friendly: SD Galway at Tullamore

Another amateur team and with the first team in, we should win this one comfortably even taking it easy.

GK Holewa
FB Davey, CD McGauley, CD Browne, FB Horgan
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Stevens, ST Williams

17': Tullamore with a dangerous throw in but their striker can't quite reach it and Holewa picks it up.

25': Tullamore hit a great corner into traffic but Holewa catches it.

26': On the counterattack, Horgan hits a beautiful cross that the Tullamore keeper tries to intercept. He misses and Stevens is all alone for the easy goal. 1-0

32': Sibanda with a free kick from the corner gets it right to Williams whose shot bounces off the right pole. The rebound goes right to Stevens who puts it away. 2-0

41': Their striker runs right by our best player Foley, which is not a good sign, but the shot is missed.

51': Porter sends a cross into the box and Stevens seems to have a good chance but is fouled. He easily puts away the penalty for a hat trick. 3-0

58': Sibanda with a free kick from the corner finds Browne on the left side of the goal and he heads it past the keeper. 4-0

66': Davey hits a great cross to Porter, but the header goes wide right.

86': Williams splits two defenders and has the keeper caught in no man's land, but hits the shot too high.

Final: SD Galway 4, Tullamore 0

Goals: Stevens 3, Browne
Assists: Porter 2, Horgan, Williams
Top Three: Stevens 9.6, Browne, 8.5, Horgan 8.3
Worst: Holewa 6.8
Shots: 12-3
On Target: 5-0
Possession: 49%

Most important thing to note is we got through the match with no injuries for a change.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Before the transfer deadline, I make one more amateur signing...

CD/FB James Walsh: Got him mostly for injury insurance. He has good marking, speed, and positioning.

I am informed that we sold a grand total of 30 season tickets. Rumors that I forced each player to buy one are unfounded.

It is time for the season to start. I'm not very happy with what I saw from my team in the friendlies but hopefully that was just preseason jitters.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
larrymcg421
Head Coach

March 2, 2012

League: SD Galway vs. Wexford

Wexford finished second to last in 2011, so this is the kind of match we need to win if we're going to improve on our last place performance.

SD Galway: 11-5 Draw: 11-5 Wexford: Pick Em (Fav)

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Stevens, ST Williams

13': Wexford send a cross in that Browne makes a bizarre play on as he heads it towards the goal. Thankfully, Holewa is there to grab it.

18': Another cross into the box and Williams commits the foul. The ref awards the penalty, but it is not converted as Holewa makes a diving stop!

23': Tierney makes a great move by dribbling around some defenders into the middle and sends a great ball to Williams who has a great chance, but he just misses to the left.

31': Sibanda on the wing sends it to Tierney who finds a crease in the Wexford defense and sends a great shot into the left side of the net! 1-0

39': Wexford send a great pass to their forward McCann. Browne comes in with a hard challenge and is called for the yellow. That's his second yellow and he's sent off the pitch. Ugh! I move Davey over from his FB spot to fill in at CD.

45': Horgan makes a great play to head a corner back out. The ball comes back to Wexford's Molloy who tries a long range shot and misses.

Halftime: Horgan is a little banged up, so I bring in Whelan. Switched to defensive mindset.

51': Great passing team work gets Wexford forward once again and McCann has a great chance but Holewa makes a superb save.

52': Wexford middie Roche dribbles to the middle and makes a really deft short pass to McCann who strikes it right past Holewa. 1-1

65': We win a corner. Sibanda sends a great one in. The rebound comes back out to Tierney who firest it in, but it's blocked back out. We get several chances here but to no avail.

71': Tierney dribbling around defenders again sends a great pass to Williams who tries to cross it in front of the goal, but it is blocked out.

73': Porter running around right side of the defense, sends a great ball in to Williams but Wexford's Doyle makes a great save.

81': Wexford on the counter and they run us off the field. McCann gets the ball at a perfect angle and makes the easy shot. 1-2

91': Sibanda with the throw in to Tierney who sends it to Williams, then back to Tierney who makes a nice shot but Doyle grabs it.

Final: Wexford 2, SD Galway 1

Goals: Tierney
Assists: Sibanda
Top Three: Tierney 7.3, Foley 7.1 Horgan 6.9
Worst: Williams 5.5
Shots: 7-7
On Target: 2-5
Possession: 44%

What a frustrating way to start the season. I'm convinced we would've won if Browne didn't get sent off. A horrible performance from my one big signing in Williams.

Other First Division matches:

Finn Harps 4, Limerick 1
Athlone Town 2, Mervue Utd 0
Longford 1, Waterford Utd 0

Old 03-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #12
larrymcg421
Head Coach

March 9, 2012

League: SD Galway (0-0-1, 6th) at Athlone Town (1-0-0, 2nd)

This will be a tough road match, especially since my best defender is suspended due to a red card. My eye will be on Williams in this one. He'll find himself on the bench if he keeps shitting the bed.

SD Galway: 10-1 Draw: 5-1 Athlone Town: 1-6 (Fav)

GK Holewa
FB Davey, CD McGauley, CD Fadden, FB Curran
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Stevens, ST Williams

18': Athlone on the counter. They take a shot from just outside the box, but it's high.

25': Sibanda with a good corner kick, Stevens heads it just narrowly wide to the right.

32': Are you fucking kidding me? Davey is whistled for a foul in the box. Not only do they get the penalty, but he gets a red card and is sent off the pitch. Luckily, they miss the penalty.

35': Athlone's Bruton gets the ball and fires it from long range, just narrowly missing as it hits the right pole.

Halftime: We are very fortunate to be even. Williams still playing like crap (5.80). I moved him to AF and Stevens to Poacher to see if that will suit him better.

69': Athlone get a corner and it is headed just wide of the right post.

92': A late collision injures my keeper! I don't have a keeper sub, so Harty gets in there. I switch to a 5-4-1 and bring Whelan in for Williams.

93': A long shot fired from the left corner goes right into the net as Harty basically stares at it. Fuck! 0-1

Top Three: Tierney 6.9, Foley 6.9, Fadden 6.9
Worst: Williams 5.5
Shots: 3-9
Possession: 45%

Ugh, how much worse can it get? Playing a man down in the first two matches. The one player I made a financial move for is the worst player on the team. A keeper injury in the 92nd minute costs us a chance to steal a point. Very, very frustrating.

Other First Division Matches:

Limerick 2, Mervue Utd 0
Longford 2, Finn Harps 1
Waterford Utd 3, Wexford 0

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-20-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #13
larrymcg421
Head Coach

March 16, 2012

League: SD Galway (0-0-2, 7th) vs. Limerick FC (1-0-1, 5th)

Limerick has some talent. I know this because I have previously played as them and won autopromotion in my first season. They have a great striker in Dominic Foley.

SD Galway: 13-2 Draw: 11-4 Limerick FC: 2-5 (Fav)

GK Holewa
FB Harty, CD McGauley, CD Fadden, FB Curran
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Stevens, ST Curran

7': It doesn't take long as a series of short passes finds Foley right in front of the net for an easy finish. 0-1

14': A cross rattles around inside the box as we fail to clear it. Eventually Foley gets his foot on it and knocks it through for his second goal. 0-2

19': Foley makes an interception and then sends a ball deep where both strikers have a chance. Stevens lifts an oddly arcing shot that looks like the keeper will easily catch, but Curran rushes the keeper and heads it in! 1-2

24': Limerick make a run down the right side and send a cross thgat Foley almost gets, but McGauley makes a great play to knock it out of bounds.

35': Limerick send a dangerous corner in but it is headed over the bar.

37': Foley with another great shot. This one is rebounded but Derek O' Brien is there for the putback, 1-3

Halftime: We are playing like crap and I mention so to the team.

53': Terrible throw in from Harty is intercepted and crossed in, but Limerick's other striker Behan misses.

65': Stevens makes a nifty move around his man and fires a shot from the middle, but it is easily blocked.

69': sibanda sends in a corner and Limerick's Kelly mistimes his jump and puts it into his own net! 2-3

72': Behan gets another point blank attempt and once again blows it.

90': Foley makes a great run down the right side, sends a cross in to Behan who finally gets one past the keeper. 2-4

Final: Limerick 4, SD Galway 2

Goals: Curran
Top Three: Curran 7.2, Tierney 6.8, Stevens 6.7
Worst: sibanda 5.7
Shots: 5-14
On Target: 4-6
Possession: 38%

Athlone Town 1, Wexford 0
Finn Harps 4, Waterford Utd 1
Longford 3, Mervue Utd 1

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-20-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #14
larrymcg421
Head Coach

March 23, 2012

League: SD Galway (0-0-3, 7th) at Longford (3-0-0, 1st)

This one isn't going to be pretty. A road game against the #1 team. Gonna give Williams another chance here. Will sub him at half if he continues to suck.

SD Galway: 10-1 Draw: 5-1 Longford: 1-6 (Fav)

GK Holewa
FB Harty, CD McGauley, CD Fadden, FB Curran
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Stevens, ST Williams

5': A nice Longford cross is headed over the bar.

11': Longford counter with some really nice passing. Skelly has a good chance, but just misses to the right.

27': Skelly with another good chance, but this time he makes a nifty pass to Bermingham who puts it away. 0-1

32': A really good opportunity for us as Williams makes a great pass through the defense to give Stevens a one on one, but he misses.

44': Skelly beats the defense down the field, but misses the shot to the left.

Halftime: Williams is playing better than previously, but still not good enough and is marked as "playing without confidence" so I send in Curran.

60': Sibanda with a great cross but Curran just misses the header.

76': Sibanda with yet another cross. This time Curran puts it in, but the whistle is blown as he was offsides.

79': A pathetic sequence where Holewa makes a stop and the ball bounces around in the box where all of our guys stand around with thumbs up their asses until Skelly finds it and puts it in. 0-2

85': Curran scores another, but is once again offsides.

87': a tough Davey challenge leads to a penalty. Salmon knocks it through easily. 0-3

Final: Longford 3, SD Galway 0

Top Three: Porter 6.8, Foley 6.8, McGauley 6.8
Worst: Davey 5.2
Shots: 5-15
On Target: 3-4
Possession: 46%

Limerick 5, Athlone Town 0
Mervue Utd 1, Waterford Utd 0
Wexford 1, Finn Harps 1

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-20-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #15
larrymcg421
Head Coach

March 30, 2012

League: SD Galway (0-0-4, 8th) vs Waterford Utd (1-0-3, 6th)

We're underdogs here, but this is the kind of match I need to win if I'm going to do anything this year.

SD Galway: 13-2 Draw: 11-4 Waterford UTd (Fav)

GK Holewa
FB Davey, CD McGauley, CD Fadden, FB Horgan
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Williams, ST Stevens

4': Sibanda crosses to Porter on the far right of the field. Porter crosses it back to the middle of the box where Williams is waiting and he puts it through for the goal! Finally, Williams is on board! 1-0

10': Williams gets another chance and attempts to lift it over the keeper, but sends it too high.

16': Browne sends a free kick beyond the back line of the defense. Stevens makes a great slide to keep it away from a defender, then passes it to Williams who easily scores his 2nd goal! 2-0

23': Waterford's Dempsey receives a pass outside the box, takes a long shot and nails a beauty in the corner of the net. 2-1

37': Waterford get a free kick and Breen bends it perfectly to the corner of the net. 2-2

44': Sibanda with a cross and Williams finds perfect position, heading it right past the keeper. He now has a hat trick! 3-2

Halftime: Annoyed at giving up the two goals, but couldn't be more delighted about Williams performance. I tell the team how well they're doing and they're all delighted to hear it. Sibanda has a yellow and looks hurt, so I replace him with Mulcahy.

60': Waterford make a run down the right unchallenged. Luckily, it's a weak cross that Holewa gobbles up.

61': On the counter, Horgan sends a long pass to a streaking Stevens who fights off a defender to get it, then passes it over to Williams who sends it home! 4 goals! 4-2

75': Switch to defensive.

81': Bell makes a good run around defenders, but his shot is deflected out of bounds. The ensuing corner is uneventful and we clear.

88': Ball bounces around in the box longer than I'd like, but we eventually clear.

Final: SD Galway 4, Waterford Utd 2

Goals: Williams 4

Assists: Stevens 2, Sibanda 1, Porter 1
Top Three: Williams 9.8 (MOM), Stevens 7.7 Foley 7.4
Worst: McGauley 6.9
Shots: 5-17
On Target: 4-8
Possession: 45%

Well, that's what I've been waiting for all along. Brilliant performance from Williams.

Athlone Town 0, Longford 0
Limerick FC 4, Wexford 0
Mervue Utd 1, Finn Harps 1

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-20-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
larrymcg421
Head Coach

April 6, 2012

League: SD Galway (1-0-4, 8th) at Finn Harps (2-2-1, 4th)

We are considered huge underdogs here and that's not surprising as Finn Harps are spending $200k in salary per year compared to our $48k.

SD Galway: 10-1 Draw: 5-1 Finn Harps 1-6 (Fav)

GK Holewa
FB Davey, CD McGauley, CD Fadden, FB Horgan
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Mulcahy, AP Porter
ST Williams, ST Stevens

3': Finn Harps easily move the ball down to our side and pass it around looking for an opportunity. A good pass from the wing gets it right in front of the goal for an easy tap in. 0-1

5': Davey with a good pass down the left side to Porter who heads it to Williams. Williams dribbles around his man, but his shot isn't even close.

17': Finn Harps' Breen splits two defenders, but his shot is blocked by Holewa.

29': Another move by Breen between two defenders, but the shot is wide left.

40': Finn runs right by us again. Our defenders make several challenges and a sliding tackle sends a ball to Reilly who puts it away. 0-2

43': Porter gets it off a long goal kick and make sa good run down the right. He tries a long shot, but it is blocked.

45': Horgan is injured. I send in N. Curran.

Halftime: I tell the team to show me something else in the second half and they seem motivated.

58': Mulcahy makes a good run to the middle and finds an open shot opportunity, but it is just barely deflected by a defender.

78': We get a corner. Williams heads it over the bar.

91': We get a great late opportunity, but Porter's pass is just behind a charging Williams.

Final: Finn Harps 2, SD Galway 0

Top Three: Porter 7.0, Tierney 6.8, Mulcahy 6.8
Worst: Horgan 6.1
Shots: 6-11
On Target: 0-3
Possession: 41%

Limerick 2, Longford 1
Waterford Utd 0, Athlone Town 0
Mervue Utd 2, Wexford 0

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-20-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
larrymcg421
Head Coach

April 13, 2012

League: SD Galway (1-0-5, 8th) vs Mervue Utd (2-1-3, 5th)

Pretty big underdogs for a home match. Hopefully we can at least come away with a draw.

SD Galway: 4-1 Draw: 5-2 Mervue Utd 4-7 (Fav)

GK Holewa
FB Davey, CD McGauley, CD Fadden, FB Harty
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Mulcahy, AP Porter
ST Williams, ST Stevens

9': Mulcahy makes a run down the left side, then sends a great cross to Williams on the right side of the box, but his header goes over the bar.

17': Foley with a great pass to Porter, who taps it to Williams, who then sends it to Stevens with an easy opportunity, but he blows the shot horribly.

27': A corner rattles around the box, but Browne finally makes the clearance.

36': Porter makes some beautiful moves, taking it by himself down the field and faking out several defenders, but his shot is poor.

39': Off a throw in, Williams beats the Mervue defense to the middle, then leaves a beautiful pass for Porter who comes in and nails it home. 1-0

Halftime: I warn my team not to get complacent.

47': Porter with another great run, gets it to Stevens who misses yet again, but that was a tough shot.

55': Mervue get several dangerous corners in a row, but we clear them.

69': This one we can't clear. It's headed into the box for the equalizer. 1-1

85': Foley sends a free kick high into the box and Browne heads it in to retake the lead! 2-1

Switch to 5-4-1. Berrigan in for Stevens. Fadden in for Foley.

89': Defense is asleep at the wrong time as a pass to the middle gives Mervue a one on one opportunity, but Holewa saves.

92': Mervue striker gets a beat on the defense, but McGauley makes a great sliding tackle.

Final: SD Galway 2, Mervue Utd 1

Goals: Porter, Browne

Assists: Williams, Foley
Top Three: Browne 8.1, Porter 7.6, Foley 7.5
Worst: Holewa 5.8
Shots: 7-14
On Target: 2-6
Possession: 39%

A great win that we really needed. Williams didn't make top three, but he once again had another terrific game and suddenly my signing doesn't look so bad.

Finn Harps 2, Athlone 1
Wexford 2, Longford 1
Waterford 3, Limerick 1 (Wow)

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-20-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Code:
Current Standings Limerick 5-0-2 15 Finn Harps 4-2-1 14 Longford 4-1-2 13 Athlone Town 3-2-2 11 Waterford 2-1-4 7 Mervue Utd 2-1-4 7 Wexford 2-1-4 7 SD Galway 2-0-5 6

Waterford's shocking win over Limerick keeps us in last place, but the good news is we're only 1 pt out of 5th. If I can keep pace and steal 5th, I'd be ecstatic.

Eric Browne and Robert Porter were named to the First Division Team of the Week.

As for Williams, here's how his season has gone so far

Benched

Definitely a promising sign.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-20-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
larrymcg421
Head Coach

April 17, 2012

League Cup 1st Round: SD Galway at Longford

We have only have two days off before our next league match, which is a key one against Athlone Town, so I'll be resting most starters.

SD Galway: 10-1 Draw: n/a Longford 1-6 (Fav)

GK Holewa
FB Shaw, CD Fadden, CD Whelan, FB Walsh
DMC Greaney
MC Berrigan
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Lyons, ST Curran

1': Lyons gets through two defenders and sends a nice pass to Curran, but he hits his shot high over the bar.

4': On the counter, some nice passes find Longford's Walsh a clear shot from just outside the box, but it just misses the corner.

11': Sibanda sends a corner in to Lyons. His header goes straight to Whelan who heads it in for the goal! 1-0

14': Curran has a goal disalllowed due to being offsides, but we have been the surprising agressors so far.

25': Off of a corner kick, Longford find a great opportunity from inside the box but the shot hits the post and we clear.

Halftime: I tell the team they are playing very well and they are delighted to hear it.

58': Lyons with a stupid challenge gets his second yellow and his sent off. We are playing a man down for the 3rd time in 8 matches.

62': Off a steal by Whelan, Porter makes a run on the right, passing back to Walsh who sends a cross in that connects with Sibanda. He puts it away! Switch to defensive. 2-0

68': Whelan makes a great sliding tackle to prevent an opportunity, but the ball is deflected to Skelly who sends in a cross that is easily headed in by Lacey for the goal. 2-1

86': Longford's Purdy gets behind the defense. Whelan misses his tackle, and Purdy nails a hard shot into the left corner. 2-2

Extra time: I tell the team to keep playing hard because we can still win. Curran is having a poor game and has a yellow, so I send in Williams. Whelan is completely gassed, so I send in McGauley.

100': Sibanda injured and has to come off. I send in Conlon.

113': Morley makes a hard tackle on Walsh and is given a yellow. That's his second, so we're all even now.

115': Conlon makes a good move to get free, sends a nice pass to Williams, but it's a weak shot that is easily saved.

116': Morley with a hard foul on Williams and that's his 2nd yellow, so we're a man up now!

120': They get one last corner that is very dangerous and almost deflected in but Fadden manages to clear it.

We're on to penalty kicks. Other than Williams, none of my guys are very good at penalties, so this will be difficult:

*Salmon scores. 0-1
*Williams scores. 1-1
*Hope scores. 1-2
*Berrigan hits the crossbar. 1-2
*O'Brien sends it high over the crossbar. 1-2
*Porter sneaks it in the right corner. 2-2
*Purdy scores. 2-3
*Conlon's shot is blocked. 2-3
*Bermingham scores and that does it. 2-4

Final: Longford 2, SD Galway 2 (4-2 Penalties)

Goals: Whelan, Sibanda

Assists: Walsh, Sibanda
Top Three: Sibanda 8.1 (MOM), Whelan 7.3, Shaw 7.2
Worst: E. Curran 5.9
Shots: 6-9
On Target: 4-3

I really thought we had no chance here, so it's really tough to go up by 2 and then lose on penalties. Also, we lose Porter to injury and he'll be out 6-8 weeks. That really hurts because he's been one of our most reliably consistent performers.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:59 AM   #20
larrymcg421
Head Coach

April 20, 2012

League: SD Galway (2-0-5, 8th) vs. Athlone Town (3-2-2, 4th)

Back in week 2, we played Athlone to a standstill, until my boneheaded decision to not have a keeper sub available for the match cost me in the 93rd minute. Here's hoping we can avenge that loss.

SD Galway: 9-2 Draw: 13-5 Athlone Town 1-2 (Fav)

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Mulcahy, AP Conlon
ST Williams, ST Stevens

25': After very little action, Conlon makes a run to the middle and sends a nice pass to Williams. He gets a good shot off but it is deflected out of bounds.

26': On the counter, Athlone send a ball deep. Browne beats their striker Barett there, but allows himself to be stripped. Barett makes the shot easily. 0-1

32': Williams gets the ball off a deflection, makes a nice move to the top of the box and fires a shot that is just deflected by the Athlone keeper.

35': Williams gets another chance off a throw in, but his hard shot is deflected once again.

Halftime: I tell the team to keep their heads up. We can still win this. Horgan is winded, so I replace him with Harty.

55': Athlone corner looks scary, but is headed over the bar.

66': Conlon on the run gets a really nice pass to Stevens, whose shot is deflected out. Williams has a great effort on the ensuing corner, but the keeper blocks again.

73': Barret splits two defenders and gets the ball in great position, but hits the left bar. Harty makes the clearance.

Final: Athlone Town 1, SD Galway 0

Top Three: Browne 7.1, Foley 6.9, McGauley 6.8
Worst: Williams 5.6
Shots: 6-6
On Target: 4-1
Possession: 57%

Probably the most frustrating loss yet as we actually outplayed Athlone, but just couldn't break through. After his string of solid performances, Williams shits the bed again.

Other First Division Scores:

Finn Harps 3, Longford 0
Waterford Utd 2, Wexford 0
Mervue Utd 2, Limerick 1

Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #21
larrymcg421
Head Coach

May 4, 2012

League: SD Galway (2-0-6, 8th) at Wexford (2-1-5, 7th)

A win here will finally vault us out of last place. We're ont he road, but it's really a match we can't afford to lose.

SD Galway: 7-2 Draw: 9-4 Wexford 4-6 (Fav)

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Mulcahy
ST Williams, ST Stevens

7': Off a free kick, Wexford make a nifty pass to McCann who beats his defender to get a shot off, but Holewa saves it.

10': Horgan completely misplays his man allowing him to get inside right in front of the keeper, but we are saved by a terrible shot.

22': Another wide open McCann shot is deflected out by Browne.

36': Foley makes a great interception, taps it over to Mulcahy, who lifts a nifty pass to Williams who beats his man and puts it right past the keeper. 1-0

Halftime: I warn the team to not get complacent and they gain focus.

46': Very dangerous corner from Wexford is headed over the bar.

68': williams with a pass to Sibanda inside the box. Sibanda takes a difficult shot and hits the wrong side of the net.

69': In a counter, Wexford's Elmes beats his man and receives the long pass. Holewa has to make a superb diving stop.

72': A free kick from the left side is sent on a beautiful cross which Wexford's Malone heads in for the equalizer. 1-1

76': Awesome. Another winger injury. Harty in for Mulcahy.

87': Sibanda with a great corner, headed by Browne into the right post and Wexford clear.

94': Hard charge against Harty results in a red card against Wexford, but too late for it to matter.

Final: Wexford 1, SD Galway 1

Goals: Williams

Top Three: Horgan 7.9 (MOM), Williams 7.3, Foley 7.1
Worst: Mulcahy 5.6
Shots: 4-11
Possession: 47%

Can't be too upset with a road point, but we fail to move out of last place.

Athlone Town 2, Mervue Utd 0

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-21-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
larrymcg421
Head Coach

May 12, 2012

League: SD Galway (2-1-6, 8th) at Limerick (5-0-4, 4th)

Limerick have surprisingly lost three in a row, but they still outclass us. however, they will be without striker Dominic Foley, who leads the league in goals and average rating.

SD Galway: 10-1 Draw: 5-1 Limerick 1-6 (Fav)

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Mulcahy
ST Williams, ST Stevens

3': Limerick get down quickly on a pass from Coughlan to striker quinn he is inside the box, but hits the left post on a terrible shot. We cannot clear and they get another clear shot, but this one hits the crossbar.

6': Limerick's midfielder Gamble fires a shot from 30 yards out and puts it in the right corner. 0-1

25': Sibanda with a corner gets it right to williams, who fires a shot past the keeper! 1-1

30': A horrible mistake by Limerick defender gives Sibanda a really easy chance, but his shot isn't even close. Ugly.

38': Limerick make a run down the right side and send in a pass to Behan, whose shot is barely deflected by Holewa.

Halftime: I give the team some encouragement. This is a very good first half for us.

52': Limerick change to a 5-3-2.

63': Limerick corner is headed over the crossbar.

69': Limerick attacks on the right and a cross is sent in to Quinn who heads it home. 1-2

88': A corner from Limerick's Bradley finds Behan who puts it in to seal the match. 1-3

92': Stevens beats the defense for a one on one opportunity, but can't put it away.

Final: Limerick 3, SD Galway 1

Goals: Williams
Top Three: Williams 7.2, Sibanda 6.9, Horgan 6.8
Worst: McGauley 5.8
Shots: 4-10
On Target: 2-4
Possession: 42%

Athlone Town 0, Wexford 0
Waterford Utd 4, Finn Harps 1
Mervue Utd 1, Longford 0

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-21-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #23
larrymcg421
Head Coach

May 25, 2012

Senior Challenge Cup (Round 2): SD Galway vs. Newbridge Town

For once we are favorites. Newbridge Town are an obscure amateur club and we should handle them with ease. Stevens with no goals yet this season gets put on the bench and Enda Curran will get a shot with the first team. Porter is back from his injury.

SD Galway: 1-4 Draw: 4-1 Newbridge 9-1

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Williams, ST E. Curran

11': Porter beats the defense down the right side, sends in a beatiful cross that Sibanda knocks home. 1-0

15': And a repeat as Porter gets a pass on the wing and sends another cross that Sibanda knocks home. 2-0

20': Williams gets a pass from Sibanda with a one on one opportunity, but hits a really weak shot.

22': This time we attack down the left side, sibanda hits a cross which Curran puts in. 3-0

25': Williams with a pass to Curran who immediately flings it to Porter for a one on one opportunity and he beats the keeper on the left post. 4-0

30': Porter maneuvers inside the box, sends a quick pass to Tierney who beats the keeper. 5-0

34': Porter free kick. Williams heads it home. 6-0

38': Porter to Curran for another goal. 7-0

Halftime: I tell the team I am pleased with their performance.

48: Curran picks off a keeper deflection and hits it home for a hat trick. 8-0

55': Part of why I've just about had it with Williams. He makes an interception and has an easy opportunity against a very weak keeper, but basically kicks it right to him.

61': Newbridge actually get a chance here on a cross that is headed into the crossbar.

78': Newbridge defender with a lazy pass to the keeper. Curran comes in to intercept the pass and knock it in the goal for his 4th of the match. 9-0

Final: SD Galway 9,Newbridge Town 0

Goals: Curran 4, Sibanda 2, Porter 2, Tierney 1

Assists: Porter 4, Sibanda 2, Tierney 1
Top Three: Curran 9.8, Porter 9.8 (MOM), Sibanda 9.8
Worst: Holewa 7.6
Shots: 18-9
On Target: 13-4
Possession: 54%

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-21-2012 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
larrymcg421
Head Coach

June 1, 2012

League: SD Galway (2-1-7, 8th) at Waterford Utd (4-1-5, 5th)

I was gonna bench Williams again, but his last time out at Waterford, he scored 4 goals, so he gets one more chance.

SD Galway: 10-1 Draw: 5-1 Waterford: 1-6 (Fav)

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Williams, ST E. Curran

2': Dangerous free kick from Waterford is headed over the bar.

11': Williams beats two defenders but for some reason just doesn't take the shot.

15': Williams gets a one on one opportunity and blows it yet again. I'm so done with this joker.

22': Lazy defense allows a pass right in front of Holewa which is easily put through. 0-1

27': More lazy defense. Another through ball for an easy shot. 0-2

Halftime: I'm pissed. Stevens in for Williams.

54': This is how the season is going for us. We earn a penalty, but Porter I guess is trying to kick it to his buddy in the stands instead of the goal.

67': Porter playing like crap. Several of his passes being intercepted. We're getting no scoring chances.

Final: Waterford 2, SD Galway 0

Top Three: Stevens 6.9, Foley 6.8, E. Curran 6.7
Worst: Porter 4.9
Shots: 5-18

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-28-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
larrymcg421
Head Coach

June 6, 2012

League: SD Galway (2-1-8, 8th) Longford (5-1-5, 5th)

Hoping to end our losing streak at home here. Williams is on the bench and will be transfer listed once the transfer window opens in July.

SD Galway: 4-1 Draw: 5-2 Longford: 4-7 (Fav)

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Stevens, ST E. Curran

15': Several precise passes gets the ball to Tierney just outside the box. He dribbles around a defender and beats the keeper on the near post. 1-0

24': Longford with a dangerous cross, but it is headed over the crossbar.

35': Horgan with a great pass to Curran, but his shot is badly off target.

Halftime: Not much action in the first half, but I'm delighted to be up for a change. I praise the team for their effort. Horgan has a yellow, so I replace him with N. Curran.

47': Sibanda with a great corner kick. Stevens gets hold of it and fires it in, but the keeper makes a great save.

56': Curran gets another chance, but it's at an odd angle and his shot hits the crossbar.

73': A corner from Sibanda that Stevens has a great shot at, but his header goes over the crossbar.

85': On a counter attack, Holewa rushes out at a bad time and finds himself in no man's land. The equalizer is easily put through. 1-1

Final Score: SD Galway 1, Longford 1

Goals: Tierney
Assists: Porter
Top Three: Tierney 7.5, Porter 7.4, Davey 7.0
Worst: Holewa 5.8
Shots: 9-7
On Target: 2-2
Possession: 49%

We've lost points too many times this year for stupid reasons like this. We can't afford to settle for draws in winnable home situations when we have no chance on the road.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-28-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
larrymcg421
Head Coach

SD Galway (2-2-8, 8th) vs. Finn Harps (7-2-3, 4th)

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST E. Curran, ST Williams

15': Corner headed in as our defense watches. Hey, at least they don't have to buy a ticket for the best seat in the house. 0-1

25': We are having more trouble conmpleting a pass than Tim Tebow.

40': Another corner. Another header. 0-2

Halftime: Blah, blah, I'm disappointed. I tell Williams he sucks ass.

59': Williams can't put it away again.

67': Sibanda with a red card.

88': Another missed shot by williams

Final Score: Finn Harps 2, SD Galway 0

Top Three: Browne 7.2, E. Curran 7.0, Foley 6.7
Worst: Porter 5.8
Shots: 3-13
On Target: 2-7
Possession: 40%

Sibanda gets a two match ban. I sign another amateur - ST Shaun Goodhall. He has good finishing and Off the Ball numbers, but awful stamina (6) and Acceleration (5).

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-28-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #27
Grover
Pro Starter

Rough start to the season, hopefully it improves!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #28
larrymcg421
Head Coach

SD Galway (2-2-9, 8th) at Mervue Utd (6-2-5, 5th)

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter
ST Williams, ST Goodhall

8' They work it in the box, but the shot goes wide.

12': Williams gets it inside the box, but is stripped.

27': We fail to properly clear a corner. It bounces around until Mervue put it in. 0-1

33': Another corner angled perfectly into the net. We've been awful at defending these. 0-2

36': Horgan with a beautiful pass inside finds Porter in front of the net for an easy score. 1-2

Halftime: Pulling one back was huge and I encourage the team to keep fighting.

47': Mervue work it into the box for a close range shot. Holewa stops it, but cannot hold on. The rebound is put through. So much for that. 1-3

65': Red card to Mervue's Cawley. We now have a man advantage, but I doubt it will mean much.

81': They score a shorthanded goal when their winger runs unmarked down the left side and beats Holewa. 1-4

Final Score: Mervue UTD 4, SD Galway 1

Goals: Porter
Assists: Horgan
Top Three: Porter 7.5, Foley 6.7, Horgan 6.6
Worst: McGauley 4.9
Shots: 1-12
On Target: 1-7
Possession: 38%

I sign three more players:

CD Nicholas Lyskov and CD Allan McManus are amateur signings. They both have major flaws but have good marking and tackling numbers. I'll throw them into the rotation at some point.

I open up the books for another player, ST Rodrigo Astudillo, because I badly need a striker that can put the ball in the net. At $200 p/w, this will put me into debt, but I felt it was needed at this point. He has some really good numbers - 13 Finishing, 13 Off the Ball, 13 Heading, 14 Long Shots.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-28-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #29
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Rough start to the season, hopefully it improves!

Thanks! I've done better with other teams in Ireland, but SD Galway is a mess so I think this will be a long term project.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #30
larrymcg421
Head Coach

SD Galway (2-2-10, 8th) vs. Wexford (2-3-9, 7th)

We have a chance to finally pull out of last with a win here.

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Mulcahy, AP Porter
ST Astudillo, ST E. Curran

2': Tierney with a cross. Headed in by Browne. Great start! 1-0

27': McGauley with a terrific play to block a header that would've gone in.

37': Astudillo to Mulcahy on the wing. Mulcahy sends it back in, but the pass goes wide.

Halftime: Morale still very low. I do what I can to encourage them.

56': Astudillo with a great header off a corner is just narrowly blocked.

57': Curran with a nice move, but his shot is wide left.

61': Wexford free kick crossed into the box and headed for the equalizer. 1-1

78': Mulcahy with a free kick. He crosses it in and Astudillo gathers it with his feet and makes a great shot in. 2-1

93': Ugh! they get several corners in a row and finally head one in right before the ref calls time. 2-2

Final: SD Galway 2, Wexford 2

Goals: Browne, Astudillo
Assists: Tierney, Mulcahy
Top Three: Foley 7.7, Astudillo 7.6, Browne 7.3
Worst: Davey 6.0
Shots: 9-6
On Target: 5-3

This is worse than any of the defeats.

Assistant says that wasn't good enough, but I need to build some morale so I thank everyone for their effot.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #31
larrymcg421
Head Coach

SD Galway (2-3-10, 8th) at Athlone Town (7-4-4, 3rd)

We've played well against Athlone Town, losing 1-0 both times, including an awful defeat in extra time when my keeper got injured. I've carried a keeper on the sub list ever since.

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Mulcahy, AP Porter

11': Athlone's striker Kelleher finds some open space and gets a great pass for the easy score. 0-1

14': Astudillo misses a header.

34': McGauley with a stupid pass that gets intercepted, but thankfully they badly miss the shot over the bar.

40': Curran crosses it in and it bounces off the goalie into the net for an own goal! We'll take that! 1-1

42': Porter with a wide open chance, but blows the shot.

Halftime: Very happy so far and I let the team know it.

53': Astudillo rounds defender, but blows the shot.

54': Astudillo with a brilliant through ball to Mulcahy who takes the keeper one on one and beats him! 2-1

60': Astudillo fires a shot, but it's narrowly tipped over by the keeper.

75': Ciaran Foley injured. Hope this isn't long term, because it would be a massive blow. Berrigan comes on.

80': Astudillo starts a break, sends a pass to Mulcahy on the wing. He crosses it in to Curran right in front of the keeper and the shot is put through! Switch to defensive mindset. 3-1

87': Mulcahy hurt. Conlon comes in.

Final Score: SD Galway 3, Athlone Town 1

Goals: Mulcahy, E. Curran
Assists: Horgan, Mulcahy, Astudillo
Top Three: Mulcahy 8.2, Horgan 8.2, E. Curran 7.7 (FYI Astudillo 7.3)
Worst: Davey 6.9
Shots: 10-8
On Target: 5-2
Possession: 52%

Now this is a terrific result! We'll take any victory we can get, especially one on the road.

*Foley is alright, but Mulcahy will be out 3-4 weeks. Kinda sucks after his brilliant game, but Sibanda's suspension will be over.

*Horgan, McGauley, Mulcahy, and Curran were named in the team of the week.

*Enda Curran has turned in consistently excellent performances and has earned a regular first team spot ahead of Williams.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #32
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This win finally takes us out of last place!
Code:
Current Standings Limerick 11-1-4 34 Finn Harps 10-3-3 33 Athlone Town 7-4-5 25 Mervue Utd 7-2-7 23 Waterford 6-4-6 22 Longford 6-2-8 20 SD Galway 3-3-10 12 Wexford 2-5-9 11

Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #33
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The performance at the left fullback spot is our biggest hole. Davey has been terrible there and I have no suitable replacement. So I open up the checkbook once again and pick up FB Mateusz Trachimowicz. He's a solid all-around player who can play decent defense but also contribute offensively when needed.

July 27, 2012

SD Galway (3-3-10, 9th) vs Limerick (11-1-4, 1st)

Limerick is the best team in the First Division and leading goal scorer Dominic Foley (17 Apps, 18 Gls, 7.76) is completely dominating the league.

GK Holewa
FB Trachimowicz, CD Whelan, CD Browne, FB Horgan
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Porter

2': Porter on the run, beats the defense and has Astudillo wide open in front of the net, but his pass is off the mark and the defense recovers before he can get it.

21': They penetrate the center of our defense and pass to D. Foley who makes a great shot from the left. 0-1

33': Porter beats his man on the wing and flips a pass to Curran who makes a terrific angled shot from within the box. 1-1

44': D. Foley heads a corner into the goal but at the last second Porter steps in and blocks it with his own header. Great play!

45': Browne with a long pass and Astudillo gets to it. He seems to have a direct path to an easy goal, but Limerick's Guthrie pulls him down ruthlessly and is sent off with a red card.

Halftime: I praise the team for their performance so far.

64': Off a throw in, Sibanda gets it on the wing and crosses it in the box, Trachimowicz dives forward and heads it into the box. 2-1

78': D. Foley with a hard shot from inside the box. Holewa blocks it, but the rebound comes back to Limerick's Quinn, who easily knocks through the equalizer. 2-2

Final: SD Galway 2, Limerick 2

Goals: E. Curran, Trachimowicz
Assists: Porter, Sibanda
Top Three: Porter 7.6, Trachimowicz 7.5, E. Curran 7.2
Worst: Holewa 6.6
Shots: 5-13

The 78th minute shorthanded equalizer is hard to swallow, but I'm delighted with the team's performance.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-29-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #34
larrymcg421
Head Coach

August 3, 2012

SD Galway (3-4-10, 7th) at Longford (6-3-9, 6th)

A key match if we want to make a run at 6th place.

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Porter, AP Sibanda

7': Trachimowicz sends a dangerous cross into the box. Longford's keeper tries to catch it but actually ends up deflecting it into the net. 1-0

16': Holewa with a great diving save on a corner into the box.

35': Cross into the box and our defense falls asleep. Holewa doesn't have a chance to stop the ensuing shot. 1-1

41': Longford's Skelly hits a shot from way outside the box and buries it in the top left corner. 1-2

Halftime: I try to pump the team up, but they don't seem to respond. Whelan is playing awful, so I send in McGauley.

60': Curran gets past the defense after a great pass, but blows the shot.

75': They are now playing keepaway and we are having trouble even getting the ball past midfield.

Final Score Longford 2, SD Galway 1

Assists: Tierney
Top Three: Foley 8.1, Horgan 7.4, Trachimowicz 6.9
Worst: Whelan 5.7
Shots: 3-13
On Target: 1-6

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-29-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #35
larrymcg421
Head Coach

August 17, 2012

SD Galway (3-4-11, 7th) vs. Waterford Utd (8-4-6, 3rd)

SD Galway: 7-1 Draw: 3-1 Waterford: 1-3 (Fav)

We are now 2 pts ahead of Wexford. Longford are now 10 pts ahead of us in 6th. I'm trying a different lineup tonight by moving McGauley up to DMC and Foley up to MC. Horgan has reached the yellow card limit, so will miss this one.

GK Holewa
FB Trachimowicz, CD Browne, CD Whelan, FB N. Curran
DMC McGauley
MC Foley
AP Porter, AP Tierney

5': Same old story. Corner is headed in. 0-1

9': N. Curran hurt. Walsh comes in.

10': Foley looking great in the midfield. Dribbles around a defender and lays up a nice pass to Curran who beats his defender and puts the shot past the keeper! 1-1

16': Trachimowicz with a long pass to Curran. He gets a good chance, but the keeper blocks the shot.

22': We manage to clear a corner. This is cause for celebration.

30': Walsh sends a long pass to the right corner. Curran and a defender race for it. Curran narrowly loses the race, but the defender makes an ill-advised weak pass to the keeper, which Astudillo comes in to intercept and put in the goal! 2-1

35': Porter hurt. Baker comes in.

36': We give up another corner kick goal. 2-2

39': Walsh with a great cross in to Baker. He can't control it, but manages to deflect it to Curran who takes a nice angled shot and scores! 3-2

42': Foley with a good pass to Baker. Curran makes a move to the goal and Baker hits him with a perfect pass for an easy shot. That's a hat trick for Enda Curran! 4-2

Halftime: I give the team a passionate pep talk telling them how well things are going. They all respond very well.

50': Third injury of the game? Ugh. And it's Astudillo! I send in new signee Mooney to see what he can do.

54': Wow! Some beautiful teamwork off a throw in near their goal, Several passes eventually lead to Mooney getting it right in front of goal and his strike is solid. 5-2

64': Waterford get a breakaway chance, but the shot is wide.

74': Holewa makes a nice save on a long screamer, but can't hold on to it and Waterford grab the rebound and put it through. 5-3

89': This is ridiculous. Now Foley is hurt and has to be taken off. I'm out of substitutions, so we'll be a man down.

Final Score: SD Galway 5, Waterford Utd 3

Goals: E. Curran 3, Astudillo, Mooney

Assists: Tierney, Foley, Baker
Top Three: E. Curran 9.6, Foley 7.7, Tierney 7.4
Worst: Porter 6.3
Shots: 7-13
On Target: 6-6
Possession: 51%

So this was a huge victory, but one of the main factors was Ciaran Foley's dominance in the midfield and he will now be out for 6-8 weeks. That really, really sucks. Porter is also out and it's for 5-6 months.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-29-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #36
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Old 03-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #37
larrymcg421
Head Coach

August 24, 2012

Senior Challenge Cup 3rd Round: SD Galway vs. Waterford

As luck would have it, we face Waterford in back to back matches. We could use all the money we can get, so going far in this tournament would be very nice. I move Tierney back to his CM role and keep McGauley at Anchor.

SD Galway: 13-2 Draw: 11-4 Waterford: 2-5 (Fav)

GK Holewa
FB Trachimowicz, CD Lyskov, CD Browne, FB Horgan
DMC McGauley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Baker

8': Defense gets beat and a great through pass to their striker results in an easy goal. 0-1

21': Yay, another injury. Lyskov out, Walsh in.

33': Sibanda hits a great corner, but Curran heads it over the crossbar.

Halftime: Astudillo doesn't seem to have it today, so I send in Mooney.

55': Great save.

61': Horgan sends a deep ball that a defender gets to, but Mooney comes up behind him, steals the ball and beats the keeper for the equalizer! 1-1

68': Mooney dribbles around a defender to the left, can't quite get by him, but still manages to beat the keeper on the near post! What a shot! 2-1

77': Holewa gets his hands on a deflected shot but can't hold on and it goes in for the equalizer. 2-2

86': Baker sends a cross into the box and a a Waterford defender accidentally knocks it past his own keeper! 3-2

89': We clear a corner and Tierney leads the counter. He passes to Curran on the left wing. Curran sends it in the box to Mooney, who makes a nice short pass back to Tierney who puts it through! 4-2

90': Just to make me nervous, Waterford score very quickly on a cross into the box that is easily knocked in. 4-3

Final Score: SD Galway 4, Waterford Utd 3

Goals: Mooney 2, Tierney
Assists: Mooney 2, Browne
Top Three: Mooney 8.7, Tierney 7.4, E. Curran 6.9
Worst: Walsh 5.2
Shots: 7-12
On Target: 3-5

That's a huge win for us! We get $20k for winning in the 3rd round. The team seems to be on a roll now. The question is now who do I start at striker? Can I really sit both Astudillo and Williams and leave over $300 p/w on the bench while I start two amateurs?

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-29-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #38
larrymcg421
Head Coach

August 29, 2012

Emmet Shaw doesn't show up for practice. Do I want to fine him? Of course I do. I could use a 2 week reduction in salary. Anyone else want to skip practice?

League: SD Galway (4-4-11, 7th) at Finn Harps (12-3-4, 1st)

Finn Harps have overtaken a recently struggling Limerick at the top of the league. I stick with the same lineup that's been working, except Whelan gets his starting job back in place of Lyskov who did not impress.

GK Holewa
DMC McGauley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Baker

8': Dangerous corner by Harps, but the shot goes wide.

32': Trachimowicz with his second yellow and he's sent off. I send in King for Sibanda and move him back to fill in the FB spot.

40': They work it into the box. the defense is there, but we fail to clear and on one of the deflections, Harps put the ball through. 0-1

45': King hits a mean cross that the keeper tries to catch, but it bounces off him. Baker is in the right spot and puts home the easy equalizer. 1-1

Halftime: Whelan is not playing well, so I give Lyskov another try.

46': Holewa with a nice diving save on a long range shot.

51': Baker with a corner kick. Astudillo finds perfect position and heads it in! 2-1

65': Astudillo gets it off a throw in, dribbles to the middle and lays a perfect pass for Enda Curran who beats the keeper! 3-1

68': King steps in and blocks a dangerous header.

72': King is hurt. Of course! Walsh comes in. Horgan moves to left back.

73': And just like that they get one back on a screaming pass to the middle that is put through easily. 3-2

88': After a horrendous giveaway on a throw in from Horgan, Holewa makes an amazing diving save and Lyskov clears the ball.

Final: SD Galway 3, Finn Harps 2

Goals: Baker, Astudillo, E. Curran
Assists: Baker, Astudillo, King
Top Three: Astudillo 8.3 (MOM), Baker 8.3, E. Curran 7.3
Worst: Whelan 6.1
Shots: 7-11
On Target: 3-5
Possession: 47%

This is an amazing result as not only was it a road win against the #1 team, but we did it with a man down at the 32nd minute.

Awesome note: At 3-1-1 we have the best record in the league over the last 5 games.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #39
larrymcg421
Head Coach

September 7, 2012

League: SD Galway (5-4-11, 7th) vs. Mervue Utd (8-3-9, 6th)

We are without Trachimowicz due to his red card suspension and Horgan is away on international duty, making us really weak at the FB spots.

GK Holewa
FB King, CD Lyskov, CD Browne, FB Horgan
DMC McGauley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Baker

17'; Bad giveaway leads to an easy one on one chance for Mervue, but their striker completely botches the shot.

41': Astudillo makes a nifty moves around some defenders, but the shot is wide left.

Halftime: Astudillo is super winded for some reason (54%), so I send in Mooney. Walsh has an injury, so I send in N. Curran for him.

57': Baker to E. Curran and back to Baker on a nifty give and go move that leads to an easy goal for Baker! 1-0

61': Mervue's McEntee hits a rocket from 30 yards out that Holewa can't get to. 1-1

68': Mooney receives a great pass just outside of the box, but his shot is wide right.

85': N. Curran falls asleep, allowing his man to get behind him on a through pass for an easy goal. That wouldn't have happened if Horgan was there. 1-2

Final Score: Mervue Utd 2, SD Galway 1

Goals: Baker
Assists: E. Curran
Top Three: Baker 7.4, McGauley 7.0, E. Curran 6.8
Worst: Mooney 5.9
Shots: 8-7
On Target: 4-2
Possession: 48%

This one hurts. We had no business losing here. While we are still 6 points clear of Wexford, we are now 11 points out of 6th with only 7 games to go.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #40
larrymcg421
Head Coach

September 14, 2012

League: SD Galway (5-4-12, 7th) at Wexford (2-7-12, 8th)

A must win here today. This will give us a good cushion on the fight to avoid last place and keeps us alive for a shot at 6th or better.

GK Holewa
DMC McGauley
MC Tierney
AP Sibanda, AP Baker

2': A relatively harmless shot goes right by Holewa. This was such a bad miss that I went to check and make sure I didn't accidentally start my backup keeper. 0-1

30': Astudillo header goes over the bar.

45': Baker makes a nice move inside but Wexford's keeper tips it over the bar.

Halftime: I yell at the team alot.

47': Trachimowicz steps in front of one for Holewa and heads it back out.

56': Tierney with a pass to Sibanda on the wing. He takes his defender on and makes a great shot to beat the keeper on the near post. 1-1

74': Curran with a great chance but it is deflected wide.

77': Sibanda with a corner and Astudillo finds perfect position to head it in! 2-1

92': Very dangerous cross from Wexford, but Lyskov beats their man to the ball just before the whistle sounds.

Final: SD Galway 2, Wexford 1

Goals: Sibanda, Astudillo
Assists: Sibanda, Tierney

Top Three: Sibanda 8.2 (MOM), Astudillo 7.4, Horgan 7.0
Shots: 6-6
On Target: 3-4
Possession: 53%

My assistant tells me I should change McGauley's status to player no longer needed, yet he is averaging a 6.76 and doing it for free.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-30-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #41
larrymcg421
Head Coach

With 6 games to go, here's where we stand. It'll be a longshot to move out of 7th, but we'll give it our best. At least we're closer to 5th than we are 8th.

Code:
Current Standings Limerick 14-3-5 45 Finn Harps 12-4-6 40 Waterford 10-4-8 34 Athlone Town 9-6-7 33 Longford 9-3-10 30 Mervue Utd 9-3-10 30 SD Galway 6-4-12 22 Wexford 2-7-13 13

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-29-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #42
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Apparently my name has been linked to a possible opening with the New York Red Bulls. I'm not sure why they'd be interested in a 7th place head coach of a low level semi-pro club.

Senior Challenge Cup Quarterfinals: SD Galway vs. Drogheda United

We are one of three First Division sides still left in this cup. We didn't get lucky enough to draw one of the others and instead face Premier Division club Drogheda United. The good news is Ciaran Foley has returned. I'll play him for the first half and then bring in Tierney.

GK Holewa
DMC McGauley
MC Foley
AP Sibanda, AP Baker

5': We almost go down very early when Astudillo easily gets stripped, but Holewa makes a great play rushing out to gather a through pass.

19': Curran with a nice pass to Astudillo who beats his man but misses the shot.

33': Holewa with a diving save on a shot from outside the box.

37': Sibanda with a great corner kick that is almost headed in. It bounces dangerously in front of their goal, but we can't get a foot on it and they clear.

Halftime: We are surprisingly not outmatched here at all. We have the advantage in both shots and shots on target so far and 48% possession. Foley is out as promised and Tierney comes in completely rested. Hopefully he can provide a spark.

46': Astudillo is for some reason allowed to dribble down the middle of the field uncovered but his shot is a really weak effort.

60': E. Curran gets a one on one opportunity, but the keeper makes a great stop.

81': They work the ball into the box and Holewa gets beat on the near post. 0-1

83': And just like that, we equalize on yet another solid Sibanda corner that Astudillo heads in perfectly. 1-1

91': They get one last corner, but it is cleared.

Final Score: SD Galway 1, Drogheda United 1

Goals: Astudillo
Top Three: Sibanda 7.4, Astudillo 7.4, Trachimowicz 7.3
Worst: Foley 6.0
Shots: 11-7
On Target: 6-2

We actually controlled much of this match and should've come away with a victory. Now we'll have a return engagement with Drogheda at their place.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-29-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #43
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Senior Challenge Cup Quarterfinals: SD Galway at Drogheda United

No need to upset the balance so we'll be running out our exact same lineup. Foley in the first half and Tierney in the 2nd half. I'll also be keeping an eye on Lyskov who starts the match at 89%.

GK Holewa
FB King, CD Lyskov, CD Browne, FB Horgan
DMC McGauley
MC Foley
AP Sibanda, AP Baker

4': Sibanda with a free kick angles it perfectly into the net! The keeper had a hand on it but couldn't hold on. 1-0

19': A Drogheda striker manages to get inside the box unmarked, receives a pass and makes the easy equalizer. 1-1

36': Sibanda with another free kick and launches a rocket, but it is just a bit too high.

Halftime: I try to pump the team up. Astudillo has another random game where he's extremely tired at the half (59%), so I'm forced to send in Mooney. Tierney comes in for Foley as planned.

47': We attack right away. Mooney makes a great pass to Tierney whose on target shot is tipped wide by the keeper.

65': Sibanda keeps sending in those corners and crosses. I love this guy,

70': E. Curran with a one on one opportunity after a great pass by Baker, but he can't beat the keeper.

83': Browne steps in to make a great interception on a long pass. He flicks it forward to Mooney who dribbles around his man and sends a pass to Sibanda who is uncovered on the left. He puts it by the keeper easily! 2-1

I switch to defensive mindset and pray that we can hold on. This would be an awesome and massive upset if we can do it.

90': The defense looks solid, not giving their striker any space. A tackle sends the ball fluttering out to the wing where their winger gets to it and fires a dangerous shot, but he misses. Whew.

93': Horgan gets hurt late on a spirited challenge. N. Curran comes in.

We win! We win! We win!

Final Score: SD Galway 2, Drogheda United 1

Goals: Sibanda 2
Assist: Mooney
Top Three: Sibanda 8.8 (MOM), Horgan 7.7, Browne 7.5
Shots: 8-13

*We earn $27.8k for that victory. That is huge as we need every penny we can get.

*Horgan is hurt, but thankfully will only be out 6-8 days.

*The team's turnaround oddly seems to coincide with McGauley's move to the Anchorman role. I usually like a guy who can help offensively in that spot, and McGauley is not that at all (Passing: 4). But he's been a solid stopper for us there and our posession and shots differential have drastically changed since he moved there.

*Sibanda has been on an absolute tear, putting up 8.2, 7.4, and 8.2 in his last 3 matches with 3 goals and 2 assists.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 AM   #44
larrymcg421
Head Coach

October 6, 2012

SD Galway (6-4-12, 7th) at Limerick FC (14-3-5, 1st)

We're pretty exhausted, so will be starting alot of backups as we have yet another match only 3 days from today. Thankfully, Limerick is really banged up. Foley is out along with three other starters and they have yet another starter out on suspension.

GK Holewa
FB King, CD Whelan, CD Browne, FB N. Curran
DMC McGauley
MC Tierney
AP Mulcahy, AP Wiles
ST Astudillo, ST Mooney

2': Wiles throws it in to Astudillo who sends it back to Wiles. Wiles then finds Mooney in the center of the box and he puts it away! That was almost a mirror image of Mooney's last goal. 1-0

22': We have a great chance at a header, but a Limerick defender steps in at the last second.

33': Mulcahy beats his man and makes a move inside, but the shot goes wide.

35': A shot is deflected off one of our defenders and a Limerick striker picks it up and knocks through an easy shot. 1-1

Halftime: N. Curran is exhausted. Since we have a chance here, I bring in Trachimowicz.

47': King sends in a beautiful long range shot that just barely misses off the corner of the post.

61': Mulcahy with a great pass to the middle, but Astudillo misses a direct shot by hitting the crossbar.

72': They have a corner that is headed in. Still our achilles heel. 1-2

Stokes comes in for McGauley for the more offensive mindset. E. curran comes in for Astudillo who has shit the bed in this match.

76': They score off another corner. 1-3

Final Score: Limerick 3, SD Galway 1

Goals: Mooney
Assists: Wiles
Top Three: Mooney 7.2, Wiles 6.9, Whelan 6.8
Shots: 6-7
on Target: 2-4

Annoying, but expected defeat on the road. We might have been able to win if I had played all my starters, but I still think it was the right call.

72': They have a corner that is headed in. Still our achilles heel. 1-2

Stokes comes in for McGauley for the more offensive mindset. E. curran comes in

for Astudillo who has shit the bed in this match.

76': They score off another corner. 1-3

Final Score: Limerick 3, SD Galway 1

Goals: Mooney
Assists: Wiles
Top Three: Mooney 7.2, Wiles 6.9, Whelan 6.8
Shots: 6-7
on Target: 2-4

Annoying, but expected defeat on the road. We might have been able to win if I had played all my starters, but I still think it was the right call.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #45
larrymcg421
Head Coach

October 10, 2012

SD Galway (6-4-13, 7th) vs. Athlone Town (9-7-7, 5th)

We are without Horgan again, who has been called up for the Ireland U-19 squad.

GK Holewa
FB Trachminowicz, CD Lyskov, CD Browne, FB N. Curran
DMC McGauley
MC Foley
AP Sibanda, AP Baker

2': Sibanda with a corner that Astudillo heads in perfectly, but a defender knocks it away at the last second.

6': McGauley sends a deep ball for E. Curran to get to. The defender beats him there, but makes a bizarre slide that knocks the ball into his own goal. One of the worst own goals I've seen, but I'll take it. 1-0

8': Trachimowicz commits a foul on a corner attempt in the box. The ref awards the penalty and they score easily. 1-1

9': N. Curran hurt. Walsh comes in.

26': Baker gets a step on his man down the right side, sends in a perfect cross that is deflected to Sibanda. He's uncovered coming in from the left and scores easily! 2-1

41': Baker beats his man again down the right side, sends in another cross that Astudillo heads into the net. 3-1

45': Foley with a great interception and pass to Astudillo who seems to have a great break, but is brought down aggressively. They get a red card and we are a man up.

Halftime: I give the team a pep talk, but Trachimowicz who is having an awful game doesn't listen. I consider benching him, but feel that's too risky since I don't have Horgan on the other side.

58': Holewa with a great save on a one on one opportunity.

69': Sibanda's corner connects with Astudillo again for another goal! 4-1

Hume in for Trachimowicz, who has still been playing like crap.

76': Off a great pass from Astudillo, Baker has a clear run at the keeper, but his shot hits the crossbar.

Final Score: SD Galway 4, Athlone Town 1

Goals: Astudillo 2, Sibanda 1
Assists: Baker 2, Sibanda 1
Top Three: Astudillo 9.2 (MOM), Sibanda 9.1, Baker 9.0
Worst: Trachimowicz 6.4
Shots: 15-5
On Target: 8-2
Possession: 59%

*As you can see, we clearly dominated this match. Athlone beat us the first two times 1-0, but we've outscored them 7-2 in the last two meetings.

*We are clearly a different team right now. Baker was a real steal for an amateur contract and Sibanda has flourished on the other side. The tactic I use is heavily dependant on the wingers getting forward early and often. In matches where I've started those two together, we are 5-1-1 with 17 goals scored.

*Sibanda has 4 goals and 3 assists in his last 4 matches. Baker has 2 goals and 3 assists over his last 6. Both will be back next year.

*We are now only 5 pts behind 6th place Mervue Utd. Athlone is 9 points ahead in 5th.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-30-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #46
larrymcg421
Head Coach

October 19, 2012

SD Galway (7-4-13, 7th) at Waterford Utd (12-4-8, 3rd)

The last two meetings with Waterford have been crazy. We beat them 5-3 in a league match on August 17 and then followed that up one week later with a 4-3 victory in the Senior Challenge Cup. We finally have Horgan back.

GK Holewa
FB Trachminowicz, CD Lyskov, CD Browne, FB Horgan
DMC McGauley
MC Foley
AP Sibanda, AP Baker

1': We start an attack, but Sibanda gets stripped and Waterford outrun us down the field on the counter, leading to an easy goal from just outside the penalty area. 0-1

2': They get right back down again and Holewa is forced to make a great save to prevent a disastrous start.

8': Astudillo gets the ball in great position, but misses. That's happening too often recently.

16': Defense is really taking a beating today, once again getting outrun down the field, but thankfully they blow the shot this time.

23': Astudillo gets a pass from Curran and fires a good shot, but the keeper makes a diving save.

26': Astudillo with a great strip, but shoots way too early and that had no chance of going in.

Halftime: McGauley is playing without confidence. I drop Foley into his spot and bring in Tierney at CM.

55': Holewa does a great job tipping a header over the bar. On the ensuing corner, Browne makes a fabulous clearance.

70': Stunning save from Holewa on a cross into the box.

76': Another cross into the box and Holewa can't stop it this time. 0-2

77': Well that was fast. On the ensuing kickoff, it's immediately passed back to Tierney who sends the ball forward for Curran. He splits two defenders and catches the keeper in no man's land for an easy shot. 1-2

90': They get the backbreaking goal to put it away. No points for guessing how they did it. 1-3

Final Score: Waterford Utd 3, SD Galway 1

Goals: E. Curran
Assists: Tierney
Top Three: E. Curran 7.2, Baker 6.9, Tierney 6.9
Worst: Browne 5.5
Shots: 10-14
On Target: 3-8
Possession: 41%

We've been on a great run, but the team just didn't have it today. Sibanda with a 6.0 had his first bad game in a long time.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #47
larrymcg421
Head Coach

October 26, 2012

Senior Challenge Cup Semifinal: SD Galway at Derry City

Another match against a Premier division side. We are 15-1 underdogs. Enda Curran has reached the yellow card limit, so he'll miss this match.

GK Holewa
DMC McGauley
MC Foley
AP Sibanda, AP Baker
ST Astudillo, ST Mooney

19': Astudillo misses yet another one on one chance.

32': Lyskov hurt. In comes Whelan.

33': Sibanda sends a cross in. Mooney gathers it with his feet and sends it in the net! 1-0

43': Stupid giveaway by a Derry City defender. Mooney has a one on one chance but sends it wide right. Ugh.

45': They send a screaming cross in from midfield that looks very dangerous. Holewa makes a risky play by going after it, but manages to catch it.

Halftime: I encourage the team to keep it up. I'm concerned about Baker and Sibanda who look worn out by the Derry defense. May have to sub them soon.

77': Not much of note going on. They aren't getting chances. Sibanda and Baker seem fine right now. I switch to my usual defensive mindset (Drop deeper, retain possession).

89': Sibanda with a corner kick gets it in the middle of the box perfectly. Whelan gathers it and shoots it home! 2-0

We win again! We are in the final!

Final: SD Galway 2, Derry City 0

Goals: Mooney, Whelan
Assists: Sibanda 2
Top Three: Sibanda 8.2 (MOM), Mooney 7.6, Trachimowicz 7.5
Worst: Browne 6.8
Shots: 5-5
On Target: 2-2
Possession: 52%

*Glad I didn't sub Sibanda at halftime. He was at 51% and I've never kept a guy in like that before, but it paid off here.

*Limerick FC beat Athlone Town 1-0 to clinch the Irish First Division crown and they will be promoted. I have no objection to that.

*We earn $41.7k for winning the semifinal. The board is mad at me about the payroll, but I have made them a $100k profit this year, so they need to quit whining.

*Mervue Utd lost their league match. That keeps us within 6 pts with one less game played. We have also closed the gap on GD (-13 compared to Mervue's -9). We face Mervue in the season finale in a match that could be for 6th place.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #48
larrymcg421
Head Coach

October 31, 2012

SD Galway (7-4-14, 7th) vs. Longford (12-3-9, 4th)

It was only 4 days since our last match, so we have some conditioning issues. I'm still running out my first team since we get a 10 day break afterwards. They'll have to try and gut this one out.

GK Holewa
DMC McGauley
MC Foley
AP Sibanda, AP Baker

4': Foley with a nice pass to the corner. Baker gets to the ball crosses it in and Astudillo knocks it with another precise header. 1-0

7': Browne wins a header battle, but the loose ball is grabbed by Waterford. They fire a shot in, but Holewa makes a terrific stop.

25': Astudillo with a nice bass to Baker who sends a nice looking cross in, but Sibanda just misses getting there in time.

43': Baker beats his man on the wing and sends a cross in, but Curran's header is over the bar.

Halftime: Trachimowicz and Horgan have not played well. That is cause for concern as we need them if we are to hold on here. Astudillo and Bakerare playing with confidence.

56': Longford work it inside the box and find a slight opening in the defense to fire a shot. It almost goes in, but hits the crossbar.

65': Sibanda picks up a slight injury and I'm taking no chances. I send in Hume who is more of a fullback, but he has speed and crossing ability, plus his defensive abilities will come in handy now. Foley is super tired, so I bring in Tierney.

Final Score: SD Galway 1, Longford 0

Assists: Baker
Top Three: Baker 7.8 (MOM), Trachimowicz 7.3, Astudillo 7.3
Worst: Hume 6.5
Shots: 7-9
On Target: 3-1
Possession: 53%

*We are now 3 pts behind Mervue and the GD gap is slightly smaller. (-12 to -9). We could still theoretically catch Athlone in 5th if they lose their last two, but the GD gap is much bigger (-12 to -6). Assuming they lose both their matches 1-0, we'd need to win out final two by a combined 4 goals to catch them.

*The bad news is that Sibanda's injury has put him out for 3-4 weeks. His league season is over, but he should be back in time for the Senior Challenge Cup final which isn't until Dec. 2nd.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #49
larrymcg421
Head Coach

November 9, 2012

SD Galway (8-4-14, 7th) vs. Finn Harps (12-6-8, 3rd)

Last time out we upset Harps on the road 3-2. We are without the catalyst of our resurgence Oscar Sibanda. Alan King is in his place.

GK Holewa
DMC McGauley
MC Foley
AP King, AP Baker

2': McGauley with a foul on a corner. They're awarded a penalty and put it through. 0-1

25': they get several chances but none of them too threatening. The problem is the whole match is being played on our side of the field.

40': And now Baker is hurt. Wonderful. I send in Tierney.

Halftime: Lackluster affair so far. E. Curran is having an awful game, so I replace him with Mooney. I yell at the team a bit. Switch to "Push Higher Up" and "Overload".

73': Finally something in this boring match happens. McGauley with a great sliding tackle starts a break. Astudillo gets it on the wing and sends a ball in to Mooney who puts it through for the equalizer. 1-1

78': Foley sends a corner in. Mooney has great position, but his header hits the crossbar. The ball flutters right in front of the goal but we can't get to it before they clear. Ugh! That should've been a goal.

81': Horgan with a nice long pass to Astudillo on the right wing. He sends it inside to Mooney who has once again found space in the middle and he puts it through! 2-1

85': King is hurt. I send in Mulcahy.

Final Score: SD Galway 2, Finn Harps 1

Goals: Mooney 2
Assists: Astudillo 2
Top Three: Mooney 8.7, Astudillo 7.4, Lyskov 7.0
Worst: E. Curran 5.9
Shots: 5-7
On Target: 3-3

*One of my favorite wins of the season. We looked like shit at halftime and were without both of our star wingers, but still pulled it out.

*Mervue Utd beat Wexford (of course) 2-0 so the GD gap is now 4, but it's a meaningless gain. Either way, we have to beat them by 2 to take 6th. Since we have more total goals, we'll win the tiebreaker if the GD is the same.

*I breathe a sigh of relief when I see there is no physio report for Richie Baker.

*Athlone Town forced a draw at home, so we have no chance at 5th.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #50
larrymcg421
Head Coach

November 18, 2012

SD Galway (9-4-14, 7th) at Mervue Utd (10-4-13, 6th)

It's pretty simple. We have to win by 2 and we have to do it on the road. McGauley has been in a bizarrely awful mood lately and is morale is abysmal. Thus I move Foley back to his old Anchor role and Tierney back to his CM role. I also reward Mooney for his recent performances and he gets the start.

GK Holewa
DMC Foley
MC Tierney
AP Mulcahy, AP Baker
ST Astudillo, ST Mooney

7': Browne with a nice clearance on a dangerous corner,

10': Baker sends a free kick into the box which Astudillo heads in! 1-0

25': A cross into the box, but Astudillo's header misses this time.

27': On the counter, they get down field quickly and send a pass to the middle which their striker slides and knocks into the net. 1-1

40': Astudillo with another weak shot in a good situation.

Halftime: Well we still need two goals. We're going to push this second half and take some risks to get it done. It's the reverse of last week with my strikers. Mooney is sucking, so I send in E. Curran.

81': Seriously, we don't have a single update until this point when I'm told Baker is injured. Ugh. I send in Nicky Curran.

86': Now Tierney is injured. McGauley comes in and I flip him with Foley.

90': Curran gets called offsides twice in the span of two minutes.

Final Score: SD Galway 1, Mervue Utd 1

Assists: Baker
Top Three: Astudillo 7.5 (MOM), Trachimowicz 7.3, Foley 7.3
Worst: Mooney 5.9
Shots: 5-8

*Well, we made a good run at 6th after our terrible start. We can definitely be proud of the second half of our season.

*We earn $12.52k for finishing 7th.

*I have three players whose contracts expire at the end of November (Eric Browne, Enda Curran, Nicky Curran). Enda is the only one who I'd consider renewing, but he won't discuss a contract with me. They will still be eligible for the Senior Challenge Cup Final unless they get picked up by another team on Dec. 1st.

*Waterford Utd beat Bray Wanderers in the promotion/relegation playoff so they'll be joining Limerick in the Premier League next year. The other premier team getting demoted is Dundalk.