Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #6801
Edward64
Head Coach

Hateful 8 - 3/10

Never saw this on the big screen but caught this on Netflix. I like the short periods of action but rest of the movie was a pretty big bore to me.

Definitely uncomfortable with N-word this-and-that. Some of it was needed because of the context but it was way too much and, even if authentic, IMO unnecessary for today's audience.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-12-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #6802
korme
Go Reds

ISLE OF DOGS was absolutely beautiful. The detail Anderson & co. put into the world of Megasaki and Trash Island was breathtaking. It was fun, and awesome. It delivered all of the things you would come to expect from Wes Anderson. Will see again.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:59 PM   #6803
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

This makes me so happy Game Of Thrown Barrels: In Shocking Twist, Scandal Fells Donkey Kong Royalty : The Two-Way : NPR

I show King of Kong every year to my students, can’t believe there is such a satisfying conclusion

Last edited by AENeuman : 04-12-2018 at 11:59 PM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:58 AM   #6804
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
ISLE OF DOGS was absolutely beautiful. The detail Anderson & co. put into the world of Megasaki and Trash Island was breathtaking. It was fun, and awesome. It delivered all of the things you would come to expect from Wes Anderson. Will see again.

Thought the "twist" involving Cranston's character was nothing short of brilliant and I didn't see it coming at all.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:01 AM   #6805
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Thought the "twist" involving Cranston's character was nothing short of brilliant and I didn't see it coming at all.

Agreed - and it happened quite early. Very cool.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #6806
PilotMan
Head Coach

Brigsby Bear - 6.5/10

You know, it's a solid score maybe even a 7. Offbeat as you would expect from The Lonely Island. At first I didn't know if it was awful, or interesting, but it won me over. It's just dry enough to be funny when it needs to be and subtle enough to hit some really good marks. Mark Hamil is solid in his role. Parts of it feel completely off, but all in all, it's a pretty good, feel good, about change, life and what's important.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:04 AM   #6807
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Avengers | Infinity War

Just saw it first thing in the morning. It was everything you wanted and more. Great ending too.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #6808
Kodos
Resident Alien

Avengers

Spoiler
Old 04-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #6809
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Avengers

Spoiler

Spoiler
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #6810
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #6811
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Do you need to have seen Black Panther prior to seeing infinity war? Lord knows when I'll get to see another movie in theatres but it would be good to know.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #6812
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Familiarity with the characters in Black Panther and the nature of Wakanda would stave off questions, but isn't necessary from a plot standpoint. Furthermore, without trying to spoil anything, I would hazard that the deeper your investment in previous movies, and your empathy for the characters themselves, the more affecting the ending will be.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #6813
tarcone
Coordinator

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines 10/10

Sci-fi at its best. Great story. Great action. I really liked this one.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #6814
molson
General Manager

I've seen Iron Man 1 and 2, Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2. If I'm tentatively planning on seeing the Avengers in a few weeks, what should I try to catch before then? I was thinking the previous two Avengers movies and Civil War. Any other must-sees, or anything I can replace any of those 3 with?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #6815
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I've seen Iron Man 1 and 2, Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2. If I'm tentatively planning on seeing the Avengers in a few weeks, what should I try to catch before then? I was thinking the previous two Avengers movies and Civil War. Any other must-sees, or anything I can replace any of those 3 with?

Winter Soldier, Civil War, the prior 2 Avengers movies, and Thor Ragnarok is what I would recommend before seeing Infinity War.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #6816
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I honestly don't think you need to see anything prior to Infinity War. It could literally be your first ever movie and you'd be fine. Purple guy wants to gather 6 fancy stones so he can remake the universe. Superhero types want to prevent this. Story unfolds.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #6817
Thomkal
Head Coach

So who would you get to do the soundtrack of Deadpool 2? Celine Dion of course and who crashes the video?

Céline Dion - Ashes (from the Deadpool 2 Motion Picture Soundtrack) - YouTube
Old 05-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #6818
chinaski
College Prospect

Black Panther: 6.5/10. Dont get the hype for this at all. Good acting and strong visuals couldn't save the painfully shallow and simple plot. Really disappointed this was the best story they could come up with.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 06:04 PM   #6819
Groundhog
Coordinator

Black Panther - 8/10

I actually really liked this one, especially how it was fairly self contained, even if it was just Wakanda Lion King. I though some things were a bit heavy-handed (Killmonger's character especially), but overall I liked this more than I thought I would - most people had been telling me it didn't live up to the hype. It didn't live up to the "10 out of 10" hype maybe, but still a solid superhero movie.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #6820
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Star Wars - The Last Jedi 7.5/10

As I was watching it I realized that it was not meeting my expectations, it was really pretty boring to me and I was thinking Luke training Rey was pitiful.

However, in the last 3rd, when Rey meets up with Kylo, it really picked up and enjoyed battle with Snoke and bodyguards, and at the Rebel hangout.

Still much better than the second trilogy and looking forward to the next in the series.

Got the blu-ray today and, on my second viewing, I would score it higher at 8.5/10. I do think the last 3rd was best and think this is the best so far of the entire series (even better than Empire Strikes Back).

I liked
  • No super massive Death Star to destroy for the nth time (just a massive dreadnought)
  • Snoke's death was classic. The battle scene with his red guards was okay but really liked how Kylo offered to drop the past and partner with Rey
  • The Kylo and Luke scene was great. Sad to see Luke go but think its good to transition to Rey now
  • How the rebel ship warped into the dreadnought was pretty cool. I guess that's what the rebels need to do vs. the next Death Star.

It does bug me a little that we don't know more about Rey's parents. It may just be, as Kylo said, they weren't that important but I'm holding out hope that there is more. I don't need one to be a long lost second cousin to Darth Vader etc. but something to bring closure on their story and why they abandoned Rey.

I'm also glad they seem to be bringing back some mystery to the force vs midichlorian fiasco (from the 2nd trilogy, worst ever).
Old 05-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #6821
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Just finished Solo and really liked it. They didn't try to make it more than it needed to be. It was fun and exciting with sharp characterization. Here's my updated ranking of the SW films:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Last Jedi
Rogue One
The Force Awakens
Solo
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #6822
CarterNMA
Mascot

Conan The Barbarian - 8/10
Never actually saw this back-in-the-day somehow despite my love for the sequel. It is really, really good. The scenery is magnificent and the characters are great. The story-telling is very different from the formulas you see today, which is a bit refreshing.

Conan The Destroyer - 7/10
Loved, loved, LOVED! this movie when I was a teenager. Holds up pretty well over the years. I think I was mostly focused on Olivia d'Abo's character back then to realize how bad-ass Grace Jones is. Surprised I like the original more than the sequel.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #6823
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't think I've seen either Conan movie in 20+ years, but the character and setting is ripe for a high-budget HBO series.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #6824
CarterNMA
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I don't think I've seen either Conan movie in 20+ years, but the character and setting is ripe for a high-budget HBO series.

I like the way this man thinks! And with Game of Thrones wrapping up soon(ish) they'll need something to fill that timeslot. Personally, I'd like to see the Wheel of Time series get the GoT treatment.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #6825
Edward64
Head Coach

I never read any of the books and wasn't a real fan. The movie was great for its time and Arnold was Arnold. Now I remember Olivia ... !
Old 06-03-2018, 03:17 PM   #6826
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You guys realize they remade a Conan box office disaster less than 8 years ago?
Old 06-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #6827
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
You guys realize they remade a Conan box office disaster less than 8 years ago?

Yes, it was horrible. But there is a literal wealth of material to work with in terms of making a great dark fantasy series. That movie was a fine example of how they should NOT approach it.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #6828
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yikes-
Total Garbage: ‘Hotel Artemis’, Jodie Foster, Worst Movie of the Year | Observer

There are bad movies everywhere. And then there is 97 minutes of total garbage called Hotel Artemis. This shoddy, gross, cruel and nauseating freak show is the work of Drew Pearce, a writer of no discernible talent (Iron Men 3, Mission Impossible—Rogue Nation), making an atrocious directing debut. Moronic drivel that truly qualifies as the worst movie of the year, it sinks amateurish moviemaking aimed at audiences with no taste to an alarming new low.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #6829
Edward64
Head Coach

Not a review but somewhat related.

Tombstone is on AMC and my son asked wife why does that person look familiar.

"That's Kurt Russell, he played the father in Guardians of the Galaxy".

"Oh yeah"

That hurt but also brought a chuckle. Snake Plissken, look how far you've come.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #6830
Suicane75
Coordinator

You're Next: 8/10
Really fun send up of the horror, stalker genre centered around an unfortunate family reunion. Fun, gory, Barbara Crampton, great soundtrack (that consists of one song, but used at exactly the right time, every time). Just a joyous romp.

The Guest: 7/10
From the same people who made You're Next. A bit of the same tone, this time set around a family grieving the loss of their soldier son, who gets a visit by someone claiming to be one his platoon mates. More suspense, but the same amount of light hearted air to it. As fun as a movie about maniacal super soldiers can be. The cast, just like You're Next, is perfect. I liked it just a tad less because it is a bit more silly than it needs to be, but minutely so. Could also be that I just like horror movies more.

Resolution: 7/10
Creepy movie centered around an attempted intervention in a remote cabin that turns into something otherworldly. The leads and the dialogue have to carry it for most of the film and they do a fine job. When the supernatural stuff kicks in it's very well done and subdued and builds nicely.

The Strangers, Prey At Night: 0/10
Fuck this movie. I turned it off at exactly the halfway point when I exhausted any good reason to keep going. It's a cheaply made, shoddily thrown together piece of shit trying to piggyback off of the original that has no redeeming value. Christina Hendricks is the first kill, meaning she's in it for about half an hour and does nothing of note. The script, the layout, the acting, is all cut and paste worthlessness. Fuck This Movie.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #6831
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Brigsby Bear - 6.5/10

You know, it's a solid score maybe even a 7. Offbeat as you would expect from The Lonely Island. At first I didn't know if it was awful, or interesting, but it won me over. It's just dry enough to be funny when it needs to be and subtle enough to hit some really good marks. Mark Hamil is solid in his role. Parts of it feel completely off, but all in all, it's a pretty good, feel good, about change, life and what's important.

Came here to review this because I was unsure if I had, but that nails it down. Just a light hearted, funny, sweet, mildly dramatic movie you can put on and when its over you feel a little better. There's a real earnestly carefree vibe to it that makes me want to watch it occasionally just for the kind of feeling it leaves me with.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #6832
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tom Cruise is fucking insane for his craft at age 55 and I can't recommend MI:Fallout enough.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #6833
sabotai
General Manager

In Bruges - 8/10
This has been on my to-watch list for a good long time. Finally watched it and I loved it. The dialog was hilarious through the entire movie.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #6834
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
In Bruges - 8/10
This has been on my to-watch list for a good long time. Finally watched it and I loved it. The dialog was hilarious through the entire movie.

One of my favourites for sure, and definitely flew under the radar when it was released.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #6835
Critch
lolzcat

Star Wars: The Last Jedi 4/10
Not as bad as the last one, but still a bit meh.

Ready Player One 2/10
Didnt like, didnt make it to the end

Moon 5/10
It was ok, I guess. I liked the idea better than the way it went.

After those three my wife said I was a grumpy old man and should watch grumpy old man movies, so..

The Great Escape 10/10
one of the greatest movies ever made.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #6836
PilotMan
Head Coach

Ready Player One 7.5/10

Great movie. Not on the level with Straight Outta Compton or anything, but completely loved it. Totally the kind of movie you put on in the background and let play. Will entertain you, and it's not so engrossing that you can't put it down.

Like Steam?

Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #6837
Groundhog
Coordinator

I feel like with Ready Player One we have reached peak "retro cool" or whatever it is called. I enjoyed the movie, but ready to move on now.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #6838
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
In Bruges - 8/10

If you like the dialogue, you should read some of his plays. I'd very highly recommend The Pillowman and The Lieutenant of Inishmore.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #6839
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If you like the dialogue, you should read some of his plays. I'd very highly recommend The Pillowman and The Lieutenant of Inishmore.

Added them to my "to read" list, which means I'll get to them sometime in the year 2043.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #6840
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
One of my favourites for sure, and definitely flew under the radar when it was released.

I found it on Netflix and watched the first 20-25 min. Couldn't get into it.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #6841
Buccaneer
Head Coach

The Bohemian Rhapsody movie (Nov. 2) will be the greatest concentration of 55-65 year olds in history. Mrs. Bucc and I will be seeing it opening week.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 PM   #6842
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Totally agree with this and what sabotai posted. I believe the writer also penned Seven Psychopaths and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing MO. My wife says that we saw Psychopaths but I don't remember it. Probably a bad sign. :P Haven't seen Three Billboards but heard it was good.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:45 PM   #6843
PilotMan
Head Coach

Three Billboards (7/10)

Bottom line, it's a good movie that touches on a lot of emotion in a completely fucked up, shitty situation. It starts out with a strong grab and doesn't follow the path that I imagined. Instead it meanders here and there as various characters do things that are unredeemable and redeemable. The movie really stuck with me the way that an emotional movie does. It sort of sits at the edge of my emotion and festers there. So it did good to have that impact. The biggest hangup that I had about it though was that the characters have something wrong with them. Maybe it's like a small town thing, but literally everyone is flawed in some major way, yet by the end nobody really pays for any of it. It's kind of weird. I don't know how else to put it. I'm not sure I would have put it up for as many awards as it won. It was good, but not great. I probably won't have it on my watch again list, but it was a solidly entertaining, emotionally straining movie.

Like Steam?

Old 08-12-2018, 06:49 PM   #6844
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dunkirk - (5/10)

It was just eh. It had some great cinematography. The scenes of the ships flipping and sinking and the aerial shots. But, the good of the bits here and there, just don't make a good movie altogether. The characters were sort of ancillary to the story and I didn't feel overly drawn to any of them, let alone really grab the feel of the event. Then you add the timeline bouncing here and there and it's not something I'll come back to.

Like Steam?

Old 08-12-2018, 11:47 PM   #6845
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Death of Stalin 9/10

Instantly into my list of all-time funniest movies, just the right balance between absurdity, slapstick and questionable historical accuracy to be absolutely brilliant. Some incredible acting performances as well, some from people you wouldn't necessarily think of.

Glad to see In Bruges get a few nods, saw that one a while back, thought it was great and then haven't really thought much more about it until this thread.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #6846
Groundhog
Coordinator

I made it halfway through Deadpool 2 last night before my daughter woke up and took too long to be re-settled. The joys of parenting. It's like a 12 out of 10 based on the first half of the movie alone, looking forward to the 2nd half tonight.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #6847
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Maybe it's like a small town thing, but literally everyone is flawed in some major way, yet by the end nobody really pays for any of it.

That TOTALLY happens. Even in a small town that's a suburb of a major metropolis (where my local pub is), if the cops know you, you can get away with all sorts of craziness. I once heard this story of one of the old timers in town who was known to drive home drunk from the bar like 3 times a night. One day a copy was behind her and after a bit got onto the speaker to say "Sandra, turn your lights on" and that was it.

Anyways, Three Billboards is one of my favorite movies, just for brokenness and (sort of) reconciliation. And the wry humor. The director, Martin McDonagh, out Coen Brothers the Coen Brothers.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #6848
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I made it halfway through Deadpool 2 last night before my daughter woke up and took too long to be re-settled. The joys of parenting. It's like a 12 out of 10 based on the first half of the movie alone, looking forward to the 2nd half tonight.

My wife and I planned on only watching half, but it was too good to stop.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:59 PM   #6849
Critch
lolzcat

I need to watch In Bruges again. I watched it years ago after one of my friends told me it was brilliant and came away with "yeah, it was good, but it wasn't that good". The over-the-top build-up raised the bar too high.

Now I can go in thinking "I've seen this, it's not that good" and be pleasantly surprised. Unless expecting to be pleasantly surprised raises the bar too high again.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #6850
sabotai
General Manager

I consciously try to keep myself from building up a movie I've seen just for that reason. I'm batting a perfect 1.000 for building up a movie to my friends and them ending up unimpressed. But if I keep away from the high praise and just say it's "good", then they seem to enjoy it.

OTOH if someone else builds it up to me, I'll give it some time before I see it just so that I don't make my expectations too high.