Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #501
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I just wonder if they even tested this name. Quickster sounds like the name of some 80s hair metal band that JIMGA and Ksyrup love.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #502
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
The problem is that the streaming service isn't strong enough to be on its own yet and it's about to get significantly worse when they lose Starz in January. They're essentially opening the door for some to come in and make them irrelevant.

I would guess that since the streaming is now carrying the brand and the CEO is staying there, they are about to make some big purchases that way. As someone mentioned earlier, purchase something like Hulu and maybe the rights to a couple of larger catalogs of movies/shows.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quickster sounds like the name of some 80s hair metal band that JIMGA and Ksyrup love.

Silly boy, where on earth did you come up with that idea?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #504
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Quickster makes me think of Friendster. Uh oh.

I was thinking Jeffster...

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #506
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I tend to agree with DT, and I wonder if people sometimes just like to complain about something.

Customers are not just complaining they are walking.

Last month (after the price raise) was the first month in the company's history that they lost customers and they were forced to downgrade their profit projection. Losing the convince of one stop shopping is going to cost them more this month. It is a hell of a gamble hopping they come back.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis

Last edited by Surtt : 09-19-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #507
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I would guess that since the streaming is now carrying the brand and the CEO is staying there, they are about to make some big purchases that way. As someone mentioned earlier, purchase something like Hulu and maybe the rights to a couple of larger catalogs of movies/shows.

Yeah, that's what most are expecting. They'll probably make a splash somewhere else to offset that loss. Dropping the DVD part removes a significant boat anchor from their neck. CEO's do these moves all the time to remove the bad part of the business from the good so the other has a bigger opportunity to excel. That doesn't always mean it works, but it's a common move.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #508
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
Customers are not just complaining they are walking.

Last month (after the price raise) was the first month in the company's history that they lost customers and they were forced to downgrade their profit projection. Losing the convince of one stop shopping is going to cost them more this month. It is a hell of a gamble hopping they come back.

Truth. There is a reason that Walmart is so successful and that is the buzz word you used there "one stop shopping". Being able to have your streaming and DVDs in one place and be able to easily transfer a DVD to streaming when that ability is in place was one of the best things about Netflix. To stop that is just dumb.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #509
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Silly boy, where on earth did you come up with that idea?

Playing any sport in jeans is a good sign of awesomeness. I knew there was a Trix-something band I'd never listened to. Didn't consciously realize that it was actually Trixter though. That makes this even more funny.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #510
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
The problem is that the streaming service isn't strong enough to be on its own yet and it's about to get significantly worse when they lose Starz in January. They're essentially opening the door for some to come in and make them irrelevant.

Is there a reason the studios and rights holders are going to charge someone else a lot less then they charge Netflix for content?

People seem to be demanding a small flat rate for unlimited viewing of everything in existence and they're pissed off that Netflix can't deliver that...I'm not buying that anyone can - they would have already if they could.

Edit: And in their "Netflix rage" people are dumping Netflix and moving to Amazon - which has about 25% of Netflix's streaming content.

Last edited by molson : 09-19-2011 at 01:15 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #511
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Qwikster: Not to Be Confused with Quixtar, QuickStar, Kwikster, Quickster, Kwik Star, Quik-Star or Kickstar - Techland - TIME.com
Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #512
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Truth. There is a reason that Walmart is so successful and that is the buzz word you used there "one stop shopping". Being able to have your streaming and DVDs in one place and be able to easily transfer a DVD to streaming when that ability is in place was one of the best things about Netflix. To stop that is just dumb.

Who's to say that has to stop? Who's to say they won't continue to work closely together to let you cross-manage your queue's?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #513
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I had heard a number last week that said they have lost 4% of their subscribers since the increase. ANd a good article I just read on it: http://bit.ly/pTspDY

Last edited by PackerFanatic : 09-19-2011 at 01:18 PM.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #514
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Who's to say that has to stop? Who's to say they won't continue to work closely together to let you cross-manage your queue's?

They did. Two separate sites and logins according to the release.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #515
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thought I'd ask. Is there a good place to compare what's offered on the various online movie services? It's obviously very easy to move around, so maybe this is a good time for some shopping of services.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #516
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, for now I'm sticking with Netflix. Jimmy Neutron, Phineas & Ferb, and I keep finding enough movies to check out that it's not worth dumping. The Starz Play bits won't be that much of a loss for me, but if I lose the kids' shows I'll have to think hard about it.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #517
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

from their CEO's blog post this morning (I linked it at like 130am a couple of pages back in the thread)

Quote:
A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated. So if you subscribe to both services, and if you need to change your credit card or email address, you would need to do it in two places. Similarly, if you rate or review a movie on Qwikster, it doesn’t show up on Netflix, and vice-versa.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #518
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Thought I'd ask. Is there a good place to compare what's offered on the various online movie services? It's obviously very easy to move around, so maybe this is a good time for some shopping of services.

This is a pretty decent recent comparison

Netflix vs. Blockbuster: What's the best service for streaming and DVDs? | Crave - CNET
Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #519
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe I'm the opposite of everyone else but I just don't use the streaming service as much as I would like. Deep down inside I would love to use it, but I just don't want to the The Naked Gun for the 10th time or any other 80s-90s-B junk crap they seem to fill it with. I love the Blu Ray side. It saves me a bunch over my local store who is the only service in town and charges $5 for one night rentals.

Does Blockbuster Online offer the same selection as Netflix for DVD/Blu Ray movies? If so I think I will move over there. There is a blockbuster about 20 miles away, could be cool to just drive there and swap things out on a Friday/Saturday night. Plus I just can't get over the new Netflix name. To me it sounds dirty/sexual.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #520
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
from their CEO's blog post this morning (I linked it at like 130am a couple of pages back in the thread)

Aaah - see I didn't read the whole press release. That seems silly & shortsighted.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #521
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Aaah - see I didn't read the whole press release. That seems silly & shortsighted.

Seems like a cry for a new CEO to me.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #522
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just wonder if they even tested this name. Quickster sounds like the name of some 80s hair metal band that JIMGA and Ksyrup love.

They didn't.

Netflix's Qwikster Problem: Twitter Account Controlled by Weed-Smoking Elmo

Stock is down around 3.3% today.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #523
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Interesting. Also from what I understand, they are adding rental games to this Qwikster. So to me, this makes sense. If they tried to maintain streaming, DVD, Blu-rays and rental games as one service, it would be a nightmare to try to compete with other services that provide that one service that most people want and they would stand to lose future business to services that focus on specializing in one thing.

With this, Qwikster (goofy name) can attempt to compete with Gamefly and Red Box and Netflix can continue to focus on moving on to better improve their streaming service. Even with its losses, they are still the king of streaming media right now.

Last edited by Antmeister : 09-19-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #524
molson
General Manager

Ya, not even consolidating reviews sounds like they're saying, "we don't even want to spend 10 minutes casting off Qwikster when the time comes".
Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #525
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Netflix comes across as a company that had a great idea, but no real vision.

Last edited by Matthean : 09-19-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #526
molson
General Manager

I was thinking about moving to 2-DVDs by mail (up from one), dropping netflix streaming, and just relying on redbox/hulu plus/misc. roku for impluse viewing but there's so little out there outside of netflix for streaming. Even taking away the convenience of having one site, and evaluating netflix/quickster as two different companies - I don't see the other options appealing at all. Hulu plus has almost no movies, redbox is annoying, crackle and whatever the hell else is on roku is extremely limited in content as well.......I'm still on board with netflix/quickster. I may still dump streaming eventually, but only combined with increasing my DVDs out at time....There's nothing I really can't wait 1 day to see.

Last edited by molson : 09-19-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #527
JediKooter
Coordinator

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #528
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Seems like a cry for a new CEO to me.

I'm agree. Between the fee price botching to this whole thing, he's driving this thing in the wrong direction and if the board is smart, they'll get his ass out of there. So they probably won't.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-19-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #529
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Qwikster From Netflix: The Worst Product Launch Since New Coke? [OPINION]
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #530
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I forgot that Amway had a Quixter division.

Something like HomeFlix might be taken, but is a much better name if it isn't.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #531
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Watched Dear Zachary on netflix.. never watched a documentry that moved me from tears to rage in under 5 minutes quite like that.. you have been warned.

its defintely worth watching
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #532
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Watched Dear Zachary on netflix.. never watched a documentry that moved me from tears to rage in under 5 minutes quite like that.. you have been warned.

its defintely worth watching

Unbelievable doc, and it has been said in this thread, it's best to know as little as possible before watching it.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #533
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:

And he is coming around....
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #534
molson
General Manager

Maybe I missed this in the Netflix funeral posts but Breaking Bad is now on instant streaming.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #535
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

At the end of the day, I'll stick with Netflix until something that is better comes along or hits a price point we don't like. It suits our needs so, no sense in leaving.

Curious how much the video game piece will be though.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #536
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
At the end of the day, I'll stick with Netflix until something that is better comes along or hits a price point we don't like. It suits our needs so, no sense in leaving.

+1. Stock went down 7.37% on Monday and another 1.77% after hours.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #537
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bill Burr:Let It Go.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #538
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The Guy Behind The Qwikster Twitter Account Realizes What He Has, Wants A Mountain Of Cash | TechCrunch
Old 09-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #539
molson
General Manager

Damn, I gotta think of the next lame Netflix spin-off name and grab the twitter handle. Poopster is taken. As is discfast.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #540
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'd be posting every demand that was ever made in a movie...

'I want a hamburger... no, a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake...'
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #541
wade moore
lolzcat

Awesome.

Absolutely horrible move by Netflix to not figure this out ahead of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #542
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Absolutely horrible move by Netflix to not figure this out ahead of time.

I'm guessing Netflix isn't thinking anything through right now.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #543
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Note, if you sell your Twitter account, it's against the terms of agreement with Twitter.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #544
LloydLungs
College Prospect

And of course, the guy is a complete idiot. This is fairly high on the unintentional comedy scale, on several levels.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #545
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Last edited by Matthean : 09-20-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #546
AgustusM
College Prospect

From Apple to Vudu: 8 Netflix Alternatives Compared | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

for all my criticism, for now I will be staying with netflix - my 4 kids watch netflix via the xbox more than any other option they have. they easily watch 50+ different things a month and like I said earlier I wasn't the least bit bothered by the price increase.

My entire issue with this is making this less convenient for the customer and how especially stupid a business move I think this is. I believe Netflix had a great position in content delivery for the future, but this move has hurt their reputation so much they reduced that advantage over Apple, Google and the like considerably.

Last edited by AgustusM : 09-21-2011 at 09:56 AM.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #547
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
From Apple to Vudu: 8 Netflix Alternatives Compared | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

for all my criticism, for now I will be staying with netflix - my 4 kids watch netflix via the xbox more than any other option they have. they easily watch 50+ different things a month and like I said earlier I wasn't the least bit bothered by the price increase.

My entire issue with this is making this less convenient for the customer and how especially stupid a business move I think this is. I believe Netflix had a great position in content delivery for the future, but this move has hurt their reputation so much they reduced that advantage over Apple, Google and the like considerably.

Yes, the price increase I could understand. The studios were making it difficult on Netflix to not do so, and people who wanted the best for virtually nothing money wise were just being delusional. My problem is coming now when they make things less convenient for me. Depending on how much of a pain it becomes, I will factor on what I keep subscribing to and what I cancel most likely.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #549
Ragone
Pro Rookie

now watching breaking bad on netflix.. i almost purchased the dvd sets the other day.. my wife stopped me with "i think i saw that on netflix".. sure enough..

netflix has paid for itself for the year just on that alone
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #550
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Here's another thing I just thought of. You get 1 extra stream plus one per disc on your plan. So right now I can stream 4 different things if I want to(I'm on the 3 disc plan) Once Qwikster kicks in, how is that going to work?