Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2003, 09:08 PM   #1
dfisher
High School JV

NCAA 2004 Greatest Games

Has anyone had a game considered a "Greatest Game" yet on NCAA 2004? I've had 2, both of them were with online opponents. The first was a 28-25 win which really wasn't that close. I was up 21-0 at half and was reading emails in between plays. The opponent scored with 10 seconds left to make it 28-25; the game score was 404. I didn't know if that was good or not until I got my 2nd game which just ended.

I was Miami (yeah, I know, but the opponent picked Texas first). Down 25-22 with 30 seconds left, and I'm inside the Longhorns's 20. I tried a post pattern but it got picked off, and I was really upset. This guy had no business beating me. He was one of those guys that throws it deep to Roy Williams EVERY play and hopes that he catches it 1 out of 4 times for a first time. He would catch balls with 3 guys around him. Despite a 5 sack day from my left end, I was going to lose.

I forced a three and out and used up my timeouts, forcing a punt. For some reason, the guy was scared of my 6 yards/return career average so he punted it out of bounds. 20 yards downfield. I take over at the 40 with 17 seconds left. 2 dropped passes near the sidelines left me with 7 seconds left, still at the 40. The guy decided to play a 4-3 defense so I sent Winslow deep down the middle. It dropped just over the safeties hands as he jumped for it at the 10, hit Winslow in stride, and he dove across the goal line with 1 second left for the win.

I love this game.

dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:35 PM   #2
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Mine was a fluke national title win. With my created school, who got by with an easy schedule and lost game, while evryone else in the country except for Miami lost 3.

I take an early 7-0 lead. I had the number one defense, and the number 2 offense. Miami went vice versa. Then they work the run and tie it up 7-7 on senior Frank Gore's TD run.

Second Quarter
I had the number 2 red zone offense coming into the game. Had 2 drives end on the 15 due to interceptions. Miami only had one legitimate drive, that ended on the 20 after a sack led to a fumble. Tied 7-7 at the half.

Third quarter
I finally get a TD, after a long pass play, only to get it brought back due to holding. Miami goes 3 and out on almost every drive.

Fourth quarter
I get a nice run on off the option, and do a few out patterns and get to the 50. Do run to set up the playaction. Do the playaction and the whole Miami secondary bites, leaving my WR wide open running towards the endzone, and my QB dont miss from there, and TD! Kick it off. Frank Gore returns it 92 yards for a TD. I thought I was going to die right there. Next drive. I throw a fade jump ball, and my receiver comes down with the ball. I then go for a lil trickery and do the HB option pass. HB throws it to the QB for the TD. 50 yarder. Miami comes back on the very next drive, and scores off of a Frank Gore 25 yard toss play. 21-21. 2 minutes left. Receive the kickoff, run with it. Fumble. Miami ball on the 25. They throw it over the middle, and my linbacker of the year award winner intercepts it, and runs with it. We get the ball on the 50. I set up a out pattern, and its complete. Down to the 40. Go the other way with an out patten. Complete! 37. 30 seconds left. Set up a run play to get myself in the center of the field. Call timeout with 5 seconds left. Have the ball dead center, with the wind behind me. Kick it! And it's good!

If only the kicker woulda shown a little emotion.

Didnt make the greatest games, but it's the greatest game I've ever played.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:07 PM   #3
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I had a greatest game with a game score of over 1100 (I don't remember the exact number offhand). As Tulane, I beat Navy 37-34 in triple overtime. It really wasn't that great of a game, but hey, if they want to refer to it that way, I won't complain.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:25 PM   #4
Swaggs
Coordinator

I have had one (I have only played 4 games because I suck and quit fairly often).

I was unranked WVU, playing against #12 Pitt in a rivalry game. Pretty exciting game, since I really do love WVU, hate Pitt, and I was at a severe talent disadvantage.

I scored on my first drive to take a 7-0 lead that held until the fourth quarter. Pitt scored to tie it up, and then scored again in the closing minute to steal a 14-7 win. Not all that great for me, but kind of cool, although I really don't like the autographed plaque of a Pitt player.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:25 PM   #5
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola...my game score was "only" 360. Kind of miniscule comared to Pumpy's score.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:51 PM   #6
tucker342
Pro Starter

dfisher, what was the rating for that second game?

my greatest game so far-
I was playing as Iowa against Miami(OH) on All-American. The game is tied at 20 with about 10 seconds left, I'm at their 20 yard line, and I get a touchdown to win the game. The game got a rating of 680.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:06 PM   #7
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I had a double OT loss against SMU with me playing as San Jose St. Game ended 37-30 with my QB throwing 4 incomplete passes. Score was 1180 or somewhere around that
Old 07-20-2003, 11:14 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

"He was one of those guys that throws it deep to Roy Williams EVERY play and hopes that he catches it 1 out of 4 times for a first time."

Not to threadjack but....this is another reason I don't play sports games online.

And no, I have not had any "great games" yet, even though I can think of several I have played that should be on the list. Oh well.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:20 PM   #9
dfisher
High School JV

Oops, forgot to include the score of my 2nd game. It was 1368.

Dan
dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:04 AM   #10
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I've only had one but haven't played much yet, waiting to get my mem card back with rosters. It actually was the first game I played, Iron Bowl, I was Auburn and lost at home to 'Bama 16-14. The interesting part was that both 'Bama QB's went out injured and they had to stick a receiver at QB. The cool part, to me, was that they then changed their game-plan from a pass-heavy offense to a running, option-heavy attack, since they didn't have anybody who could throw. Of course, the fact that I still couldn't beat them probably says something but cut me some slack it was my first game

Oh and the score was 655 I believe.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:01 AM   #11
Booj
High School JV

Man, I can't wait to get my hands on NCAA...
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:15 PM   #12
DeToxRox
Head Coach

my greates game was a 1640 score.

Miami vs Ohio State, I played my friend.

He pulled off two touchdowns late, and I was down with 16 seconds left at my 30 and 1 timeout. I heaved the ball downfield and Beard cought it. I was 50 yards out with the wind at my back and I let the clock run down and booted the game winning FG to win 44-42.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:56 PM   #13
ScottVib
High School Varsity

I've had two... one an OT loss where I tied it with 2 seconds on the clock (UConn v. Rutgers) and one where I lost on a last ditch TD (UConn v. Army).
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:48 PM   #14
RendeR
Coordinator

ok maybe I've missed this but:

is this game REALLY worth buying, and:

Is it out for the PC yet?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:50 PM   #15
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Won't be out for PC, and yes it is REALLY worth buying.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:55 PM   #16
RendeR
Coordinator

WHAT???????

Why on god's green earth would they NOT want it out for the PC? tlk about screwing a massively gaming group...

fucking lame ass software companies.

this is why I flatly refuse to buy a console. Nothing but money grubbing bastards with lame input devices.

if its not running on a PC its NOT worth playing.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:56 PM   #17
RendeR
Coordinator

My apologies, its been a really BAD day for me with businesses.......I'm so pissed off today I shouldn't be allowed in public....
Old 07-21-2003, 03:11 PM   #18
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Anyone else find it funny that the Rose Bowl is missing it's sponsor in the game? Would be great to see Rose Bowl presented by Playstation 2 on XBOX.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:34 PM   #19
tucker342
Pro Starter

Okay, I'm playing as Iowa against Ohio State. The score is 31-10 I'm ahead with 2 minutes left. They have the ball on about the 50 yard line, when they throw a touchdown pass. 31-17, they recover the onside kick, and score a touchdown to make it 31-24 with about 45 seconds left. I recover the onside kick, but they still have 3 time outs, so they force a three and out and I have to punt. They get the ball to the 50 yard line with 4 seconds left, they throw a hail-mary that ends up incomplete! Damn that was a good game!

It got a score of about 550.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:53 AM   #20
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottVib
I've had two... one an OT loss where I tied it with 2 seconds on the clock (UConn v. Rutgers) and one where I lost on a last ditch TD (UConn v. Army).

Do the words "greatest game" and Rutgers really belong in the same sentence?
Old 07-22-2003, 10:07 AM   #21
bigjdotcom01
High School JV

I had a greatest game with ND at home against rival Purdue. The game was tied at 14-14 late in the fourth quarter as Purdue drove into a wind whipped driving snow. Playing as ND, I was able to intercept a pass and return it 88 yards in the final minute to go up 21-14.

Undaunted, the Boilermakers returned the kick to midfield and promptly drove to a first and goal from my eight. After three straight incomplete passes, the fourth down pass was lofted in the back left corner where my safety tipped the ball away as time expired.

Final: ND 21, Purdue 14
Greatness Score: 1343
Old 07-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #22
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder how greatest games really are figured out...

I was playing Marshall last night with my own created university (West Bend) and the score was 10-7 in my favor. Marshall moves 60 yards down the field and scores a TD making it 14-10.

With 50 seconds and 3 timeouts left, I get the ball at around the 25. After 3 incomplete passes, I manage to lob the ball 40 yards down the field hitting my receiver who was coming back to the ball. He managed to turn and outrun the defenders making the score 17-14. With 20 seconds left.. Marshall gets the ball. Hits 2 quick passes getting down in range to attempt about a 45 yard field goal. The kick is up and clangs off the crossbar and I win 17-14.. but.. no greatest game.

You'd think it would at least fill up the greatest game slots in the beginning...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 12:13 PM   #23
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustang
I wonder how greatest games really are figured out...

I was playing Marshall last night with my own created university (West Bend) and the score was 10-7 in my favor. Marshall moves 60 yards down the field and scores a TD making it 14-10.

With 50 seconds and 3 timeouts left, I get the ball at around the 25. After 3 incomplete passes, I manage to lob the ball 40 yards down the field hitting my receiver who was coming back to the ball. He managed to turn and outrun the defenders making the score 17-14. With 20 seconds left.. Marshall gets the ball. Hits 2 quick passes getting down in range to attempt about a 45 yard field goal. The kick is up and clangs off the crossbar and I win 17-14.. but.. no greatest game.

You'd think it would at least fill up the greatest game slots in the beginning...

Well, by the sounds of this game, it maybe was a good ending but not a great game overall; just a guess, I'm not sure how it works either.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:47 PM   #24
Butter
Coordinator

I've heard/read that greatest games may be either ultra-difficult or impossible to get with created teams. That could be part of it. I mean, I had Duke beat me 14-6 and got a greatest game out of it.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:59 PM   #25
Swaggs
Coordinator

I am up to three greatest games now, two of which have been rivalry games, so I think that may be a factor.

The third was for the national championship against OSU (I was WVU). I lost 16-14 after getting saftied near the end of the first half...way to go me.