Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2016, 11:01 AM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Battle Brothers

This is an Early Access game on Steam with great reviews so far - I picked it up the other day and am really enjoying it. It's kind of a top-down more story and character oriented Mount and Blade where you control a small mercenary company, travelling around a huge map and doing contracts, fighting bandits and so forth.

The game is definitely unfinished and I have a feeling there's a lot of stuff to be added but it's in a good state right now.

Each character you hire has a little background and one or two random modifiers (which you can't see until after you hire them.)

The main screen showing my group of 7 guys - each has a name, paperdoll for their gear, and their various stats. These include fatigue and morale, the morale can be very tricky if things start to go against you!

Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've been playing it too... love the combat system!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Played a bit more today and my entire company got wiped when I was ambushed just doing a delivery contract. I think I headed a bit too far east too early.

I have started renaming my guys for a bit more personality.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

How do you rename them? I wouldn't mind doing that - though Asgeir the Tepid is a great name.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 03-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Is it action based or turn based?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
Groundhog
Coordinator

Turn based. I played a ton of this when it first hit early access, but shelved it until a few days ago because there was nothing to do after a point. As it is now, it's much improved - combat hasn't changed a great deal (minor tweaks) but the world is 10x more filled and interesting... from a glance it seems like they've tried to incorporate some of the better 'world map view' stuff from Mount & Blade.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I've been playing it too... love the combat system!

What makes the combat system different from other turn based games like this, is it the AI, or just the options available?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
What makes the combat system different from other turn based games like this, is it the AI, or just the options available?

TBH I haven't played many games like this, but the combat system goes in rounds, using initiative to decide the order (ie. it's not one side and then the other side, it's concurrent). Units have different attributes and skills that affect a number of actions, but in essence you have a certain amount of action points, and each weapon type has it's own different attacks/defenses that makes it useful against different opponents, and encourages you to use a variety of different "builds" amongst your men - guys with axes to break shields and armour, faster weapons (swords) to attack unarmed troops multiple times per turn, spearmen to provide flanking defense and also quick attacks, and polearms and archers to provide ranged support.

It's a lot deeper than it seems at first once you get a handle on it, and once you keep your warriors alive long enough to start accruing good gear and abilities, you end up with a pretty powerful little force. It just takes a few re-starts sometimes.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #9
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I found this extremely helpful tactical guide in the steam forums. Lots of good stuff here.

A Tactical Guide (of sorts) :: Battle Brothers General Discussions
Old 03-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I found this extremely helpful tactical guide in the steam forums. Lots of good stuff here.

A Tactical Guide (of sorts) :: Battle Brothers General Discussions

Cool, I will check this out, seems like I would enjoy this game.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:46 PM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

Been playing the hell out of this lately - keeps getting better and better each update. I'm at day 149 with my latest crew, and I don't know if it's just bad luck, but any time I send out more than 9 guys the game seems to ramp up the difficulty and I lose 1 or 2 brothers (generally without recouping their expensive armour and/or arms).

I've had my crew nearly wiped a few times - down to 3 or 4 - but managed to claw my way back by trading between cities ala Mount & Blade, which I've never really focused on before in this game.

My current fitout is 1 archer - I'm beginning to wonder if they are a waste, tbh, as they only seem useful to hit a couple of lucky shots before the h2h starts - 2 billhooks, and everyone else with the strongest one-handed weapon I can find, and a good alternative to that in reserve (ie. the best shield-breaking axe I can afford if the primary weapon isn't an axe). Everyone except my archer is in 210 minimum armour with the best helms I can afford, so fatigue becomes an issue for me after a few rounds, but keeping my guys alive is always my focus.

With that in mind, for skills my frontline h2h guys I focus on the middle tree to keep my guys alive, and once I've picked up one of the highest-tier skills in that tree, I move onto the offensive skills. With the billhook guys I focus on the offensive categories first and try to keep them away from base-to-base combat when possible.

Desperately mob-attacking an orc bezerker only to have it make it through your final attack of the turn with no armour or HPs is a terrifying experience... I've covered my eyes a few times when my best soldier is in h2h with one, because any hit can be a decapitation.

Last edited by Groundhog : 03-29-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #12
BYU 14
Coordinator

They release an update for this last week that allows you to customize the starting funds and financial difficulty as well as combat difficulty. This is huge for me as I like playing the harder combat, but wish gold was easier to gain. For as simple as the premise is, this is really a great game and the devs will be starting on a new game soon, which I will definitely support.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I have put nearly 250 hours into the game. I like the changes, especially the option to reset your equipment after the battle, that is very good for archers and guys that use thrown weapons before heading into melee.

Do not let the talk about the game not being updated any more put you off from buying. This game is complete and is a good value as well as being highly replayable.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Alas, we don't seem to own a computer (out of ... 3? 4?) that will run it.

Which reminds me, I still need to see if I can return this on Steam.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #15
Izulde
Head Coach

I need to get back to playing this, especially since I breezed right through the Story Mode's latest two expansions in M:tG Duels

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #16
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I have put nearly 250 hours into the game. I like the changes, especially the option to reset your equipment after the battle, that is very good for archers and guys that use thrown weapons before heading into melee.

Do not let the talk about the game not being updated any more put you off from buying. This game is complete and is a good value as well as being highly replayable.

Yeah all the people bitching about no modding capabilities has me scratching my head. I am just under 100 hours right now and don't feel I have gotten anywhere close to all the play time out of it I will eventually. It's that good and the map seeding, giving you a new world every time makes it very replayable IMO.

It is right up there with XCom 2 for me.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #17
Warhammer
Pro Starter

A second DLC has just been announced for the game. This time they are expanding the map south and adding new classes and boons to the game.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #18
Thomkal
Head Coach

Heh was all set to thank you for talking about a new game, then saw the original post date

I have put it in my wishlist so I can keep an eye on it though.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

Haven't gotten back to this, but still one of the most enjoyable games I've played in recent years. Will have to keep an eye out for the DLC.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #20
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
A second DLC has just been announced for the game. This time they are expanding the map south and adding new classes and boons to the game.

It looks like it's the third DLC actually.

Beasts & Exploration was the first
Warriors of the North was the second

I need to get both.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:19 PM   #21
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Oops, forgot that beasts and exploration was a dlc.