Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #1001
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ah ha yes. Thank you.

Couldn't get my mind to latch onto conference title games rwferring to NFL

Sorry. I should have put NFL in that post.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #1002
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't really know much about him but I'll take him to compete for the 2020 spot.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/2...orida-transfer
Quote:
He will enroll immediately and go through spring practice with the Razorbacks. As a graduate transfer, he will be eligible to play in games next fall. He went on an official visit to Fayetteville on Sunday and chose Arkansas over Kansas and UCF among others.

Franks missed most of the 2019 season due to season-ending ankle surgery. He finished the 2019 year with just 698 passing yards and five touchdowns, adding 68 yards and a score on the ground.

As a redshirt freshman in 2017, Franks played in 11 games and finished the year with nearly 1,500 passing yards and nine touchdowns. In 2018, he threw for nearly 2,500 passing yards and 24 touchdowns in 13 games of action.

But on Dec. 1, Franks announced his intention to transfer, writing, "It has been my dream to play at the University of Florida. To play for a top program and contribute to winning games. I have been fortunate to meet as many amazing people as I have while being here, coaches, players, and fans as well."

In Franks's absence this season, redshirt junior QB Kyle Trask led the Gators to an 8–2 record as the starter, capped off by an Orange Bowl victory over Virginia. Trask's backup, Emory Jones, also showed occasional flashes through the season, and could compete for the starting job in spring camp.

The Razorbacks went through five quarterbacks on their way to a 2–10 record in 2019. In early December the school hired former Georgia assistant Sam Pittman as its next head coach, replacing Chad Morris, who failed to win an SEC game in just over one season with the Hogs.

Arkansas has had a losing record in each of their last three years.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #1003
Izulde
Head Coach

Mark Dantonio abruptly resigns as Michigan State coach amid allegations of NCAA violations - CBSSports.com

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #1004
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Be careful who you fire. If they've got dirt on you, best be sure to take care of them so they don't squeal.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #1005
Kodos
Resident Alien

More on the Dantonio story.

NCAA violations alleged just hours before Mark Dantonio's stunning exit
Old 02-05-2020, 11:11 PM   #1006
Edward64
Head Coach

Well, from what I've been reading the Hogs had a pretty good recruiting day. Signed 4* QB, 4* OL and 3*OL. Our ranking moved from 40'ish to 29 which was the biggest improvement of any team.

Pittman is off to a good start but I've heard that before. I really, really hope our game play improves. It was absolutely horrible last year.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:11 AM   #1007
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Well, from what I've been reading the Hogs had a pretty good recruiting day. Signed 4* QB, 4* OL and 3*OL. Our ranking moved from 40'ish to 29 which was the biggest improvement of any team.

Pittman is off to a good start but I've heard that before. I really, really hope our game play improves. It was absolutely horrible last year.

I'll give you something positive about the three signees from the state of Georgia: they have experience at winning

Andy Boykin; DL; 6-4; 262; LaGrange, Ga.; Troup County ... 35-13
Jaqualin McGehee; DL; 6-4; 255; Fort Valley, Ga.; Peach County... 48-9
Jacorrei Turner; LB; 6-2; 205; Atlanta; Woodward Academy... 42-10

Losing is not something any of them are going to be accustomed to, and that can bode well for a program that's rebuilding.

I will also give you the slight possible downside with that trio: there's 1 final four each for two of them, two finals & a final four for the Peach County kid ... but while winning consistently, none ever got a ring.

Boykin is like a lot of Troup kids, athletic but may need to get focused (or so I read). He's a tweener that started out as a DE but kept getting bigger and ended up inside. (indeed, he's expecting to see work at both til they decide the best fit, though his weight was up to 295 at one point,the 262 might be overly generous now). He's maybe the biggest reach of the trio to, Arky was among his few P5 offers until well into the process, and his rankings in-state declined steadily over the junior and senior seasons.

Turner was a two-way player in Class AAAA where there aren't all that many of those anymore. TE/LB in HS, I'd expect strictly an LB in college, too light to be otherwise. Athlete (4 yr letterman in both football and basketball), likely to be a decent or better student too, given his HS background.

McGehee I watched some highlights of. His strength is obvious, looks to be pretty good laterally, underwhelmed me straightline. He's probably the kind of DE that doesn't pile up sacks but forces QBs the other way into the arms of another tackler.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #1008
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'll give you something positive about the three signees from the state of Georgia: they have experience at winning

Andy Boykin; DL; 6-4; 262; LaGrange, Ga.; Troup County ... 35-13
Jaqualin McGehee; DL; 6-4; 255; Fort Valley, Ga.; Peach County... 48-9
Jacorrei Turner; LB; 6-2; 205; Atlanta; Woodward Academy... 42-10

Losing is not something any of them are going to be accustomed to, and that can bode well for a program that's rebuilding.

I will also give you the slight possible downside with that trio: there's 1 final four each for two of them, two finals & a final four for the Peach County kid ... but while winning consistently, none ever got a ring.

Boykin is like a lot of Troup kids, athletic but may need to get focused (or so I read). He's a tweener that started out as a DE but kept getting bigger and ended up inside. (indeed, he's expecting to see work at both til they decide the best fit, though his weight was up to 295 at one point,the 262 might be overly generous now). He's maybe the biggest reach of the trio to, Arky was among his few P5 offers until well into the process, and his rankings in-state declined steadily over the junior and senior seasons.

Turner was a two-way player in Class AAAA where there aren't all that many of those anymore. TE/LB in HS, I'd expect strictly an LB in college, too light to be otherwise. Athlete (4 yr letterman in both football and basketball), likely to be a decent or better student too, given his HS background.

McGehee I watched some highlights of. His strength is obvious, looks to be pretty good laterally, underwhelmed me straightline. He's probably the kind of DE that doesn't pile up sacks but forces QBs the other way into the arms of another tackler.

Thanks! Boykin does have some impressive offers but thanks for the context.

And GA is #1, AL #2, LSU #4, A&M #6, Auburn #7, FL #8, TN #10. SEC is loaded up again.

How is AR going to compete against the consistently superior recruiting and classes? Rhetorical question, they won't or at least without a Petrino-like.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-06-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #1009
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thanks! Boykin does have some impressive offers but thanks for the context.

And GA is #1, AL #2, LSU #4, A&M #6, Auburn #7, FL #8, TN #10. SEC is loaded up again.

How is AR going to compete against the consistently superior recruiting and classes? Rhetorical question, they won't or at least without a Petrino-like.

And SC at #18 and Kentucky at #23

The only NOT-Top 25 classes in the conference are Ark, Ole Miss, Miss State, Vandy, and Mizzou. None of whom, honestly, are in any position to be getting further behind the curve.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #1010
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Mel Tucker quits at Colorado go to Michigan State.

I'm not super invested in college sports anymore, but that seems like a lateral move at best. And, considering the scandals at Michigan State, one could argue it is a step down.

Is it really the sort of move that is worth making in February?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #1011
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Mel Tucker quits at Colorado go to Michigan State.

I'm not super invested in college sports anymore, but that seems like a lateral move at best. And, considering the scandals at Michigan State, one could argue it is a step down.

Is it really the sort of move that is worth making in February?

At reportedly double the salary, apparently so.

(The taking checks from Colorado donors literally a few hours before, not a great look tho)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-12-2020 at 03:44 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #1012
bob
College Starter

2017 $900,000 DC at Georgia
2018 $1.5 million, DC at Georgia
2019 $2.7 million, HC at Colorado
2020 $5.4+ million, HC at Michigan State
that's some nice salary progression
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #1013
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

(The taking checks from Colorado donors literally a few hours before, not a great look tho)

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #1014
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Everything has $uddenly become clear
Old 02-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #1015
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Everything has $uddenly become clear

Cau$e it's all about money, ain't a damn thing funny ...
Old 02-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #1016
miked
College Starter

What is a $24 handling fee to donate money to a large nonprofit?
Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #1017
MrBug708
Head Coach

Tucker was 5-7 in his coaching career and is now paid more than any coach on the PAC-12, the said conference where his last job was
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #1018
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If there were an actor who knew nothing about sports who had to play a college football coach, and he asked me to give him some material so he could get into the role, I would simply point him to Dabo.

For better or for worse, he is the most "college football coach" of any college football coach I can remember:

Clemson's Dabo Swinney has 'zero doubt' that college season starts on time
Old 04-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #1019
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

There's probably nobody on the planet more qualified than Swinney when it comes to predicting the duration and spread of pandemics. I think Dr. Fauci should step aside and let Dabo start giving the daily updates.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #1020
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
There's probably nobody on the planet more qualified than Swinney when it comes to predicting the duration and spread of pandemics. I think Dr. Fauci should step aside and let Dabo start giving the daily updates.

Listen to the clips and don't just read the words.
The reporter is trying to get him to pile on Herbstreit, who has two sins on Clemsons team, and Dabo said, i have no clue. Thats for someone ssmarter than me. I'm preparing our team like the season starts on time. I gave no doubt it starts on time, I'm not thinking about anything else.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #1021
tarcone
Coordinator

How is he preparing the team?

Ferentz is at home focusing on his players health.

I doubt we have football next Fall unless everything opens up and th NCAA allows a longer preseason practice period. Too much spring practice missed may cause injuries.

And what sucks about Spring practice being gone is we have a new QB who has taken no meaningful snaps.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #1022
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
How is he preparing the team?

Ferentz is at home focusing on his players health.

I doubt we have football next Fall unless everything opens up and th NCAA allows a longer preseason practice period. Too much spring practice missed may cause injuries.

And what sucks about Spring practice being gone is we have a new QB who has taken no meaningful snaps.

He talks about it.
NCAA allows 4 hours per day of team meetings.
They have all players on iPads and position meetings, he has a breakdown of what every player has access to weight wise and they have s&c sending workouts tailored to the players needs and what they have available.

They have written a program to test players on playbook. They are Skyping drills.

Etc.
Said he is spending 10-12 hours a day on the phone.

It’s the dichotomy if Dabo, he is a big goof who does stupid shit and a major nerd who is Uber organized and outworks almost everyone.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #1023
Kodos
Resident Alien

One minor but annoying result of COVID-19. I have been looking forward to going to the IU at UConn football game this fall, as I rarely get to see IU play in person. Now, even if it is possible to go, I probably won't. Dammit.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #1024
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
One minor but annoying result of COVID-19. I have been looking forward to going to the IU at UConn football game this fall, as I rarely get to see IU play in person. Now, even if it is possible to go, I probably won't. Dammit.

IU-UConn game should be pretty easy to social distance at,
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #1025
Kodos
Resident Alien

That is true. And that it mostly UConn's fault. IU is actually pretty decent now, especially if Penix can stay healthy this fall.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #1026
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
IU-UConn game should be pretty easy to social distance at,

And the gathering limits probably wont be reached either.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #1027
rjolley
College Starter

Has anyone seen proposals on how teams plan to set up seating? Will there be groups of seats together, then leave 3 seats empty, then another group? After the groupings, will they then do every other row? How about concessions? Will they allow tailgating?

Very interesting logistical problems.

Last edited by rjolley : 05-08-2020 at 01:18 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #1028
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Has anyone seen proposals on how teams plan to set up seating? Will there be groups of seats together, then leave 3 seats empty, then another group? After the groupings, will they then do every other row? How about concessions? Will they allow tailgating? Very interesting logistical problems.

I still can't imagine they'll ultimately attempt this bugfuckery in any of the football hotbeds.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #1029
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'd wager anyone who is doing more than speculating about what's going to happen four months from now is guilty of a lot of hubris. It's still too far out to know.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #1030
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
I still can't imagine they'll ultimately attempt this bugfuckery in any of the football hotbeds.

So you think they'll just open the stadium as usual with 80K-105K fans and more tailgating outside?
Old 05-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #1031
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I'd wager anyone who is doing more than speculating about what's going to happen four months from now is guilty of a lot of hubris. It's still too far out to know.

Yes, but there is planning going on right now in all of the sports, both pro and college. I haven't seen many details about those plans and thought this group may have seen some.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #1032
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you think they'll just open the stadium as usual with 80K-105K fans and more tailgating outside?

I think if they want to avoid permanent damage over who gets in / who doesn't, then yes. Not to mention avoid long-term alienation of season ticket holders who are critical to contributions across both athletics and academics.

(remember, you're looking at roughly 2/3rd of seats being season tickets at a lot of the top schools)
Old 05-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #1033
bronconick
College Starter

On the other hand Oregon just said no spectator sports until at least the end of September and with California scoffing at the NFL about the same, I'd say the PAC 12 is on a different path then the SEC (and part of the ACC).
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #1034
RainMaker
General Manager

Zero chance schools have fans at the games. Way too much liability. The explosion of cases in Italy and Spain came from a Champions League match. If they are showing up for the first couple weeks, they'll be too sick to show up a couple weeks later.

35% of the players in that match tested positive. How does a school play games when 35% of their players have the virus?

Only way I see it happening if it's only students. People in an age group that will likely not be hit hard. Don't see how you put a bunch of boomer alums in a confined space with a bunch of 20 year old asymptomatic carriers.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:02 PM   #1035
bronconick
College Starter

"Included with this ticket is a liability waiver."
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #1036
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
I think if they want to avoid permanent damage over who gets in / who doesn't, then yes. Not to mention avoid long-term alienation of season ticket holders who are critical to contributions across both athletics and academics.

(remember, you're looking at roughly 2/3rd of seats being season tickets at a lot of the top schools)

I agree, I think it's either all or nothing as far as fans go. There's no way they allow 10-20% of the fans in, turn back the rest, and things stay peaceful.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #1037
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
On the other hand Oregon just said no spectator sports until at least the end of September and with California scoffing at the NFL about the same, I'd say the PAC 12 is on a different path then the SEC (and part of the ACC).

Which fits with the several coaches / admins (including Franklin at Penn State, so it's not just SEC/ACC) who have said that they don't feel like everyone resuming - even within the same conference - is a requirement for others resuming.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #1038
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree, I think it's either all or nothing as far as fans go. There's no way they allow 10-20% of the fans in, turn back the rest, and things stay peaceful.

You'd also have a better chance keeping people out of the stadium in Oxford than you would keeping them out of The Grove if there happened to be a game.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #1039
Galaril
Pro Starter

You guys are assuming all the star players that know they will be drafted in 2021 or even 2022 are going to risk playing with limited summer practice and in a season with likely no playoffs or bowl games or even complete schedule of opponents available. Those kids aren’t going to risk injury for a meaningless season.

Last edited by Galaril : 05-08-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:21 AM   #1040
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Those kids aren’t going to risk injury for a meaningless season.

Then kick 'em off campus and get them the fuck out of the way of people with a enough character to want to compete. Not like programs can't use the scholarship savings.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #1041
JPhillips
General Manager

I still don't know how you have anything more than single games given that it's inevitable that teams will have to be isolated for weeks due to positive test results.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #1042
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

So if there aren't any college football games this year, which SEC team will be awarded the National Championship?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #1043
bob
College Starter

Alabama will definitely claim it. Unsure about the others.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #1044
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Notable mostly because it's happening in my backyard basically. Nothing pays off like having the right connections. His HS head coach was the HS offensive coordinator for Mickey Conn .... Dabo's college roomate that is now coaching Safeties at Clemson.

Bubba Chandler makes jump from Georgia baseball to Clemson QB sans in-person visit
Old 05-28-2020, 05:06 PM   #1045
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ex- USC QB JT Daniels to UGA.

I'll just repost my social media take on that news, save on retyping

Quote:
Heck of an interesting plot twist that could have all sorts of implications for the local ball club.

Not sure what Daniels is thinking here honestly, the time for this move would have been _before_ Newman came in, not after.

If Daniels redshirts instead of asking for a waiver for immediate eligibility, it certainly calls into question at least the ability (or need) to retain highly touted local prospect Vandagriff (though the latter still fits a presumably retooled-for Newman offense much better) If Daniels DOES get a waiver and burns a year of eligibility in 2020 then I'm not sure WHAT he's thinking.

And what does all of this say about the future of Mathis in the QB room in Athens?

Not my circus, but it's still interesting considering the number of moving parts.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #1046
bhlloy
Coordinator

You've echo'ed most of the talking points I've seen other USC fans making so far since this broke it was likely to happen last night.

Seems like a weird landing spot overall, but I also can't see him making that move without being promised the starting job at some point?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #1047
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
You've echo'ed most of the talking points I've seen other USC fans making so far since this broke it was likely to happen last night.

Seems like a weird landing spot overall, but I also can't see him making that move without being promised the starting job at some point?

I think there's a couple of things that may run underneath this, the "stuff we don't know yet" parts.

1) It makes more sense if Mathis is not going to be returning after his surgery to remove a brain cyst last year. That's contrary to what we've been hearing to this point buuuuuut ... you never know.

2) Vandagriff already committed to Georgia after reneging on his commitment to OU. What degree of confidence does UGA have that he'll stick with them or (as I've personally wondered) was that commitment softer than it appeared and was being influenced by his emotional state in the wake of a serious injury last year? (Hard to be much more "local" than UGA would be for him, it's about a 10 min drive from his house and he's a kid who has spent his career so far playing for his HC father)

3) Perhaps this is an indication that the retooling of the offense that has to take place for Newman is considered much more temporary than permanent. Is he truly just a one-year stop gap and there have been assurances that the old offense would return, suiting Daniels better?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-28-2020 at 06:55 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #1048
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Justyn Ross suffering a potential career endings spinal defect is a horrible turn of events for a guy who should have been a top 15 pick next year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #1049
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is in trouble. Lots of former players coming out about the culture of Iowa football. And it is bad.

I always knew there was something there. White walk ons starting over highly touted recruits.

Now it is out. Players generally love KF, but the S & C coach is getting hammered as is our OC who was/is the next in line to be HC and is the coaches son.

I heard 2nd hand from reliable sources that the black players wanted to protest but KF said no. Now they want him gone or they will all transfer. ALL of the black players.

Stay tuned.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #1050
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa is in trouble. Lots of former players coming out about the culture of Iowa football. And it is bad.

I always knew there was something there. White walk ons starting over highly touted recruits.

Now it is out. Players generally love KF, but the S & C coach is getting hammered as is our OC who was/is the next in line to be HC and is the coaches son.

I heard 2nd hand from reliable sources that the black players wanted to protest but KF said no. Now they want him gone or they will all transfer. ALL of the black players.

Stay tuned.

Sounds like one of those tougher situations where KF isn't necessarily an outright bigot, but has a very strict perspective on culture and what is appropriate that is extremely white-centric and feels oppressive and overly judgemental regarding more urban and black-centric cultural norms.

The incident regarding Doyle where he flipped his hat backwards and dropped his pants halfway down to give that player shit was bad. It might have been possible to interpret it as normal shit-talking if all he had done is imitate what that player had said, but the rest of it betrays a seriously tone-deaf attitude regarding black culture and the historical power structure of blacks and whites in this country.

I feel bad for all involved because this is one of those messy situations where there are shades of gray.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote