Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

1983 FOOL Playoffs!

1983 FOOL Playoffs:

Continental League Championship - Baltimore vs Napa Valley

Republic League Championship - San Diego vs Hartford

11:00pm ET sim tonight!

As mentioned previously, if any of the four teams want to submit brief conditional requests for lineup/rotation changes before the FOOL Classic in case they make it, I need those via PM prior to the sim starting tonight.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Tasan
College Starter

This should be fun. Playoffs are back in FOOL, and things could get shook up. How long are the LCS's again?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
This should be fun. Playoffs are back in FOOL, and things could get shook up. How long are the LCS's again?

LCS is best of 7 games, FOOL Classic is still best of 9

Old 11-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quick question on releases at this point. If a player has one year left to be paid, does he count as a last year of contract release under the rules?

So let's say I want to release a player who is under contract for next year, but not beyond, may I do so (since he is already paid for this year)? He is essentially on the last year of his deal, just the game hasn't moved forward yet far enough to reflect it.

And if that's true (that he can be released as a last year player), how about this scenario?

First of all, I'm not sure if anyone else knows this, but if you have a player on a team option (or mutual, I assume) for the last year, and release him before that, you are not "charged" for that last year. The game (sensibly, for once) assumes that you have exercised the option to void the last year of the contract.

So here's my scenario: if a player has two years actual contract left, but the last one is a player option (and so right now shows as three years, but this year is already paid), can that player be released, since the last year is essentially zero?

I don't really know I would choose to do any of this, but realizing I don't know these answers has given me pause before submitting an export.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-09-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Anthony
Banned

what do you mean "playoffs are back in FOOL"? you used to have more than 2 teams in the postseason?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
what do you mean "playoffs are back in FOOL"? you used to have more than 2 teams in the postseason?

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far away, where DC could win championships by himself.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Quick question on releases at this point. If a player has one year left to be paid, does he count as a last year of contract release under the rules?

So let's say I want to release a player who is under contract for next year, but not beyond, may I do so (since he is already paid for this year)? He is essentially on the last year of his deal, just the game hasn't moved forward yet far enough to reflect it.

And if that's true (that he can be released as a last year player), how about this scenario?

First of all, I'm not sure if anyone else knows this, but if you have a player on a team option (or mutual, I assume) for the last year, and release him before that, you are not "charged" for that last year. The game (sensibly, for once) assumes that you have exercised the option to void the last year of the contract.

So here's my scenario: if a player has two years actual contract left, but the last one is a player option (and so right now shows as three years, but this year is already paid), can that player be released, since the last year is essentially zero?

I don't really know I would choose to do any of this, but realizing I don't know these answers has given me pause before submitting an export.

Yes, someone asked me about this last season too via PM. Once this season has been paid out in full for a player contract, he is not getting any more money for this year (and the game realizes this as well when you cut them). So if the only year left is the last guaranteed year of a contract, you can then cut them at this point. You just have to be careful that you don't go into the red financially from dropping the player or you will incur a fine for it.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

When Dark Cloud first made this league it had an expanded playoff format which was done away with before the majority (or maybe almost any of us) joined the league.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #9
Anthony
Banned

cool, glad to see playoffs back. much more fun this way.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Yes, someone asked me about this last season too via PM. Once this season has been paid out in full for a player contract, he is not getting any more money for this year (and the game realizes this as well when you cut them). So if the only year left is the last guaranteed year of a contract, you can then cut them at this point. You just have to be careful that you don't go into the red financially from dropping the player or you will incur a fine for it.

Terrific, that's what made sense to me, but that hasn't always been the way things were ruled in the past, so I wasn't ready to trust my instincts. I'm not sure I have anyone I want to do that with (most of the ones I will look to cut actually already have options to be released this very next season), but just in case, I wanted to be sure. Thanks, Alan!

Old 11-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

1961-1963 we had playoffs. When the league left FOxL and came over here to FOFC, playoffs went away with the move.

There were however, members of the league at that time. Just not very many. (4-5 of us at any given time..)
Old 11-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Good luck to tonight's participants. I'll be rooting for the CL representative in the Classic.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #13
muns
Pro Starter

Alan, rather than have the teams send you a PM before the first set of playoffs, can we have a 10 min break before the Classic? Seems to be a waste of time to prepare for both teams before hand and we can send a PM with changes inbetween?
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Alan, rather than have the teams send you a PM before the first set of playoffs, can we have a 10 min break before the Classic? Seems to be a waste of time to prepare for both teams before hand and we can send a PM with changes inbetween?

The reason I asked for it beforehand is to not give unfair advantage to anyone that can't be here tonight. That doesn't seem like it would be too fair is all.

Once we get past Thanksgiving, my intention is to look at having the championship series on Saturday and Classic on Sunday perhaps.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #15
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
The reason I asked for it beforehand is to not give unfair advantage to anyone that can't be here tonight. That doesn't seem like it would be too fair is all.

Once we get past Thanksgiving, my intention is to look at having the championship series on Saturday and Classic on Sunday perhaps.

Didnt even think about this as your right that wouldnt be fair at all. Thanks for keeping me in check
Old 11-09-2008, 07:51 PM   #16
muns
Pro Starter

Dola

I have also exported
Old 11-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #17
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Baltimore has exported...I may or may not grace you all with my precence during the live sim...

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #18
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

It is sim time! Lets see how the playoffs shake out.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

No exports from Chicago, Rio Grande, San Diego

Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #20
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The 1983 All Star game starts off our post season. The Continental League pulls out the win 4-3 with Hart getting the win, and Burke taking the loss. The only Home Run of the game was hit by G. Baker (Hartford). Other stars of the game were C.Wilson (TOR) who went 2 for 3 with 2 RBI and 2 Walks. Also L. Abbott (ATL) went 2 for 3 with 2 Runs scored.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #21
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

CL Championship Series Game #1:

Napa Valley beats Baltimore in a slugger's affair 6-5. The Big Inning of the game is the 7th inning where Baltimore has a solo home run from F. Ruiz to give the Gothams a 4-2 lead, but they quickly lose the lead in the bottom of the 7th when three singles by Fournier, Andrews and Poe followed by a 3-run Home run from R. Chavez gives Napa Valley a 6-4 lead. The Winemakers hold on to the lead and win 6-5 with McGorry taking the win and Webb with the save. Brown takes the loss for Baltimore.

Napa Valley wins 6-5

Napa Valley leads the series 1-0

Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #22
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

RL Championship Series Game #1:

This game was never really close. Hartford unloads for 5 runs in the first and 3 more in the 5th. Hartford cruises to an easy win as Aquino pitches 9 innings of 3-hit ball, striking out 10 and not giving up a single run.

Hartford wins 8-0

Hartford leads the series 1 game to 0.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #23
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

CL Championship Series Game #2:

Another close game in the Continental League with Napa Valley scoring 1 run in the 1st and another run on a 4th inning Nishida solo home run. Baltimore cuts the lead to 1 in the 7th with a Robinson double followed by two sacrifice flies to score him. That is all that the Gothams can muster however as Hart outpitches Lewis in a pitcher's duel.

Napa Valley wins 2-1

Napa Valley leads the series 2 games to 0.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:16 PM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well good to see that the natural order of things isn't being upset...so far.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #25
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

RL Championship Series Game #2:

The Fathers start the game off in the first inning by scoring their first run of the championship series thanks to an error by the Harpooner's second baseman. San Diego scores another run in the 5th on an Estronza RBI Single which gives them a 2-0 lead. San Diego holds that until the bottom of the 9th when Clark comes in to try to save the game. Instead he gives up a double to Romero and a 2-run HR to Watkins which ties us up and sends us to extra innings. In the bottom of the 11th, Watkins strikes again with an RBI single that scores Tolmie from second base to give Hartford the extra-inning win.

Hartford wins 3-2 (11 innings)

Hartford takes a 2 games to 0 lead in the series.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #26
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

CL Championship Series Game #3:

The series shifts to Baltimore with the Gothams feeling the heat to win. Unfortunatly they did not give their fans much of a treat as C. Wilson pitches a complete game 4-hitter to win over the Gothams. Nishida and Reeves both hit homers for Napa Valley.

Napa Valley wins 6-0

Napa Valley leads the series 3 games to 0.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #27
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

RL Championship Series Game #3:

Likewise in San Diego, they also fail to bring the bats out to the park and D. Robinson pitches a complete game 7-hitter to shut out the Fathers. G. Baker hits the only home run of the game and Arrojo takes the loss for San Diego.

Hartford wins 4-0

Hartford takes a 3 games to 0 lead in the series.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #28
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am so winning this thing. We did agree to do NHL style playoffs right, everyone in except the last place guys?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #29
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I am so winning this thing. We did agree to do NHL style playoffs right, everyone in except the last place guys?

Wrong forum. The football league is up the stairs and to the left.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:24 PM   #30
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

CL Championship Series Game #4:

With Baltimore's fate on the line, they find themselves in a do or die game vs Napa Valley. A Loss here and they are done for the postseason. They strike first this time with a Fujii double in the bottom of the third inning for the quick 1-0 lead. The Winemakers knot it up with a double of their own from T. Fournier in the 6th. Both pitchers, C. Gonzales (Napa Valley) and I. Flores (Baltimore) pitch their hearts out and the game remains tied through the end of regulation play. In the top of the 10th, C. Fontenot who is now pitching for Baltimore gives up a double to J. Gonzales and a double to Morales that wins the game and the series for Napa Valley!

Napa Valley wins 2-1 (10 innings)

Napa Valley has won the Continental League Championship 4 games to 0!

Last edited by Alan T : 11-09-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Congrats Teach. Back to Back. Sure that your boys drink the best bubbly money can buy for this celebration!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #32
muns
Pro Starter

Congrats Teach!!!! 2 in a row is no small feat!!!!!

Last edited by muns : 11-09-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

RL Championship Series Game #4:

San Diego finds themselves in the same boat as Baltimore with their season on the line. Things do not start off well for the Fathers as G. Baker hits a 2-run homer in the top of the first to take the quick 2-0 lead. San Diego gets 1 of those runs back in the bottom of the 2nd with a Sims RBI-Double but lose that run back immediately in the top of the third to a McGill RBI single for Hartford.

In the bottom of the 4th, San Diego takes a run back with a Herrera RBI Single and then take the lead for good with an Estronza 2-run homer in the bottom of the 6th. San Diego has stayed alive at least for a return trip to Hartford!

San Diego wins 4-3

Hartford leads the series 3 games to 1.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #34
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Congrats Teach. Back to Back. Sure that your boys drink the best bubbly money can buy for this celebration!

Thanks! I'm drinking if you're buying.
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 PM   #35
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Congrats Teach!!!! 2 in a row is no small feat!!!!!

Thank you! You're not doing such bad work yourself over there.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #36
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

RL Championship Series Game #5:

San Diego keeps on trucking with where they left off in game 4. They score three runs in the top of the 2nd thanks to a McIntosh RBI double and a Stace RBI single. Hartford cuts the lead back in the 4th with a Zhao RBI sacrifice fly and McGill then scoring on an error by the third baseman. In the bottom of the 5th, Hartford ties it up with Anderson scoring on another error, this time by the shortstop.

The only other run of the game occurs in the 6th when Harmon hits a single, followed by a Tamura double to score him which gives Hartford the 4-3 win and the RL Championship!

Hartford wins 4-3

Hartford wins the Republic League Championship 4 games to 1 over San Diego!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #37
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

And so the FOOL Classic is set with a rematch of 1982!

Napa Valley Winemakers (96-58)

vs

Hartford Harpooners (109-45)

Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #38
Tasan
College Starter

Man, got sucked into Fallout 3 and missed the first round just about. Good job NV on the repeat finals appearance!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #39
Tasan
College Starter

Congrats muns!

In case you missed it, I'm pulling for you this time. Go muns!

(notice I didn't say Hartford. I hate them)
Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #40
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

I have to give a shout out to Baltimore right now. You put together a nice team this year. Thanks for the games!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:36 PM   #41
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Congrats muns!

LOL. That is a message I can support. Nice job Muns!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #42
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Congrats muns!

HA HA, well with the way I get dominated in the classic, maybe I need some of that Ranchero love backing me this year! We shall see how it fares real quick

Last edited by muns : 11-09-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 PM   #43
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The 1983 FOOL Classic starts off with a game 1 matchup between J. McGorry (Napa Valley) whom went 20-10 with a 2.14 ERA this year and Jorge Aquino (Hartford) whom went 23-10 with a 2.38 ERA.

So far this postseason, McGorry is 1-0 with a 3.38 ERA and Aquino is 2-0 with a 1.69 ERA

Old 11-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #44
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game 1 ends up being rather one sided, Napa Valley scores 1 in the first, 3 in the 5th and three more insurance runs in the 8th and 9th innings for an easy 7-1 win. McGorry was the star of the game, pitching a complete game 6 hitter, only giving up the 1 earned run. McGill had the only run for Hartford on his 6th inning solo home run.

Napa Valley wins 7-1

Napa Valley leads the series 1 game to 0

Old 11-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Seven straight Classic appearances.

And now you get to experience the heartwrenching nature of playoffs, too. Man 'o man. What a feat.

Makes me wish I never broke up the St. Louis Terriers.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #46
Tasan
College Starter

Ouch, not a good start there muns.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #47
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game two's matchup features Joe 'Freeze' Hart for Napa Valley whom also had a 20-10 record this season and a 2.42 ERA. He is opposed by Billy 'Wacky' Smith whom has been FOOL's winningest pitcher the last three seasons with a 75-18 record over that stretch.

So far this postseason, Hart is 1-0 with a 1.13 ERA and Smith has a 1.29 ERA with no decision yet for this year's postseason.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #48
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Man, where did the Winos find their bats? Those boys NEVER hit the ball, but they sure know how to score runs.

Wow. Series is already firing out of the gate.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #49
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game 2's scoreless duel is broken up in the bottom of the third when Harmon leads off the inning for Hartford with a double and later scores thanks to McGill's RBI single for an early 1-0 lead for the Harpooners. Hartford adds another run to that in the bottom of the 6th with doubles by Tamura and Baker to push the lead to 2-0. Things start looking really bad for Napa Valley in the bottom of the 8th when Tamura walks and McGill follows with an RBI double that scores him and Hartford has a 3-0 lead heading into the ninth....

Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #50
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I am here. What did I miss?