Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #18301
miami_fan
Coordinator

So the point of all this was what exactly, Mr. Kuchar?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #18302
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The office building in which I have worked since 2006 recently got new owners, and they just hired a new security firm. It is, of course, their decision to make, and I am sure that it makes sense either financially or in terms of getting better service.

But I will miss the friendly faces at the front desk every morning. For a decade, you get used to the same people telling you good morning. And then, one day, they are gone.

I also hope that they got some warning and/or severance and/or new placements. They were nice people.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #18303
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The office building in which I have worked since 2006 recently got new owners, and they just hired a new security firm. It is, of course, their decision to make, and I am sure that it makes sense either financially or in terms of getting better service.

But I will miss the friendly faces at the front desk every morning. For a decade, you get used to the same people telling you good morning. And then, one day, they are gone.

I also hope that they got some warning and/or severance and/or new placements. They were nice people.

My company does this with the cafeteria. Its funny because everyone hates the cafeteria, but when they change it they hate the new even more.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #18305
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I feel like we need a forum cone of shame. I definitely laughed long, long and hard about Aaron Rodgers, and then I feel like I probably vocally doubled down on Goff as well after year 1 too...
I still don't think Goff is that good, I don't think McVay thinks he's that good, and I think in a few years we'll look back on these past two seasons like Kaepernick under Harbaugh where it was a perfect marriage of an average QB, a very good play designer, and someone who put in new concepts it took defenses a year or two to catch up to.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #18306
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The person who used to clean our house was a middle-aged single mother. During summers and Christmas break, she'd bring her daughter (Zoey), who is around 14, to help. We have a smart wifi scale in our bathroom that can be set up for up to 8 users, and based on weight, it assumes who is on the scale. Because the scale gives an immediate readout and also syncs to our fitness apps, neither of us has a reason to check the scale's companion phone app regularly. I did happen to open it at some point this past summer, and noticed that there were 3 "unassigned weights," all of them around 95 pounds. Neither of our kids weighs anywhere near that, so I was confused until I thought to check the dates. Sure enough, all three were at the times that our house was being cleaned. My immediate thought was to create a user for Zoey and assign those weights for her so that the next time she did it, her name would pop up on the screen with her weight and freak her out.

SWMBO vetoed that. Pffft.

This fall, we fired Zoey's mom and hired a new service. The first several times they sent two ladies who cleaned together, but the last two times there has been just one. I just opened the app for the first time since the new folks started. Two unassigned weights. Both roughly 10 minutes after she has arrived. We should start deducting a scale usage fee from what we pay these folks.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #18307
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You totally should have set up the profile.

We had a couple of Mexican ladies that cleaned out house in Oregon. One day my amazon music had all this mariachi music in my recent music. Come home one day while they were there and they were blasting it through Alexa. My 3 year old daughter was with me, she walks up to one of the ladies, points a finger at her, and says "hey, you can't talk to Alexa without Daddys permission!"
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #18309
miami_fan
Coordinator

Cases like this always leave me admiring the wrongly incarcerated victim. I feel like the bitterness alone would kill me before actually being in prison did. Good on current day authorities for doing the right thing.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/24/us/cr...ion/index.html
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 02-24-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:29 PM   #18310
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Yes, fine. Great. But what is QuikSand?

It's just a shame that all that computing power is being utilized to solve Monopoly rather than chess.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #18312
spleen1015
Coordinator

I walked through a colon today.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:33 AM   #18313
Edward64
Head Coach

Let me just say that Z-Packs (or Zithromax/Azithromycin) beats the shit out of Amoxicillin.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #18314
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Let me just say that Z-Packs (or Zithromax/Azithromycin) beats the shit out of Amoxicillin.

Well as someone who is allergic to Penicillin, and never took Amox, my body started adjusting to Zithromax about 20 years ago, and now it takes me about 2 runs of it to work, or there's a new one on the market that works for me (forget the name though). Having seen how the body adjusts to antibiotics now, I really try hard not to need them unless I'm miserable. Thankfully, my yearly run of bronchitis hasn't hit this year, and I've been pretty healthy except for a cold. Glad to hear it's working out for you.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #18315
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well as someone who is allergic to Penicillin, and never took Amox, my body started adjusting to Zithromax about 20 years ago, and now it takes me about 2 runs of it to work, or there's a new one on the market that works for me (forget the name though). Having seen how the body adjusts to antibiotics now, I really try hard not to need them unless I'm miserable. Thankfully, my yearly run of bronchitis hasn't hit this year, and I've been pretty healthy except for a cold. Glad to hear it's working out for you.

Does the cockpit have separate air from the rest of the plane?
Old 02-26-2019, 07:16 AM   #18316
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Does the cockpit have separate air from the rest of the plane?

No, it doesn't. Well, sort of, but not really. Imagine a house with 2 AC units, and one unit sends 80% of it's air downstairs/20% upstairs, and vice versa for unit #2. That's the simple version. But for me, our swim team season was in the winter in North Dakota, so in addition to the cold, teenage PM didn't exactly take care to avoid getting sick and my cough always went into my chest, and I still end up with that problem today. Only last year did I find out that I could be super aggressive with cough syrup and decongestants right when the cold hit and it really helped to prevent that from happening.

Like Steam?

Old 02-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #18317
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When u wanna bitch on FB about your neighbors having a tree cut down at 8am but at the last second you remember you're friends with their kid.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #18318
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
When u wanna bitch on FB about your neighbors having a tree cut down at 8am but at the last second you remember you're friends with their kid.

#DOH
Old 02-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #18319
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dear Subway. Please make sweet peppers mandatory at all Subway restaurants. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #18320
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It seems as though the United Methodist Church is finally headed for schism. It appears as though the Traditional Plan will pass (though their are questions about it's constitutionality, especially as per telling the Judicial parts of the UMC how to do its job). Anyways, with it's passage, I can imagine that the liberals and lots of moderates will leave. Some to join other mainline churches, but perhaps a new LGBTQ affirming Methodist Church will arise sooner rather than later.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:01 PM   #18321
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It seems as though the United Methodist Church is finally headed for schism. It appears as though the Traditional Plan will pass (though their are questions about it's constitutionality, especially as per telling the Judicial parts of the UMC how to do its job). Anyways, with it's passage, I can imagine that the liberals and lots of moderates will leave. Some to join other mainline churches, but perhaps a new LGBTQ affirming Methodist Church will arise sooner rather than later.

The opposite phenomenon resulted in the decline of many Lutheran churches in northeast that now can't support themselves.

My father's been doing services for years since his retirement at various churches that can't afford a full-time pastor. Many members bailed after the ELCA started allowing gay marriages and gay pastors. That's not the only reason, but there's definitely just way fewer politically-progressive people in the U.S. who identify as Christian and attend church services. So there's nobody really to replace the older conservatives who leave over the gay marriage stuff, or who just die off. I just read that ELCA membership is down 25% is 10 years - a loss of a million members.

Maybe they can recruit some Methodists.

Last edited by molson : 02-26-2019 at 04:02 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #18322
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The opposite phenomenon resulted in the decline of many Lutheran churches in northeast that now can't support themselves.

My father's been doing services for years since his retirement at various churches that can't afford a full-time pastor. Many members bailed after the ELCA started allowing gay marriages and gay pastors. That's not the only reason, but there's definitely just way fewer politically-progressive people in the U.S. who identify as Christian and attend church services. So there's nobody really to replace the older conservatives who leave over the gay marriage stuff, or who just die off. I just read that ELCA membership is down 25% is 10 years - a loss of a million members.

Maybe they can recruit some Methodists.

And yet, the ELCA is still larger than the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, the more conservative major Lutheran body. LCMS has had a similar decline in membership, even though it does not allow gay marriage nor female pastors.

Undoubtedly some churches left the ELCA after 2009, but perhaps the decline in membership is due to more factors than few progressives in the US identify as Christian.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-26-2019 at 04:57 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:03 PM   #18323
Thomkal
Head Coach

So there was this feel good story about a guy buying up all the Girl Scout Cookies on a cold day we had here-made the local news, got their picture taken etc. Tonight another story on him shows just where that money came from:

SC man who went viral for buying $540 worth of Girl Scout cookies arrested by DEA
Old 02-26-2019, 10:02 PM   #18324
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevanayn View Post
Thoughts for which there is no topic.
How to find motivation and go to the gym on Monday.
How to go to bed on time?
How not to lose your battle ..

you may be my favorite bot ever
Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #18325
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevanayn View Post
Well, these are my thoughts. Why is a bot? I am now with friends in another country. It's 6 in the morning. And I have not gone to bed yet. I work.

What country?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #18326
molson
General Manager

Two dogs with diarrhea at the same time is quite the journey....One of them keeps waking me up all night even though she can't get outside in time anyway. The other one at least has the courtesy to know it's a lost cause and poops downstairs in the furthest corner of the house.

I thought the first one was having a reaction from the vaccines he got last week, but, that wouldn't explain the other one. Maybe a bug going around, or just a big diarrhea coincidence.

I got some drugs prescribed and drove out to pick them up early before work. I mean, I was awake anyway. Pray for me, I need more sleep.

Last edited by molson : 03-04-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #18327
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Two dogs with diarrhea at the same time is quite the journey....One of them keeps waking me up all night even though she can't get outside in time anyway. The other one at least has the courtesy to know it's a lost cause and poops downstairs in the furthest corner of the house.

I thought the first one was having a reaction from the vaccines he got last week, but, that wouldn't explain the other one. Maybe a bug going around, or just a big diarrhea coincidence.

I got some drugs prescribed and drove out to pick them up early before work. I mean, I was awake anyway. Pray for me, I need more sleep.

Wow, what a shitty situation. I can relate though, I just missed a trip because of some Montezuma's Revenge that lasted over a week and resulted in a doctor visit. Maybe they got into some sketchy Mexican food?

Like Steam?

Old 03-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #18328
PilotMan
Head Coach

In other random thoughts..the Mrs just told me, after I asked if we had anything coming up in the next couple weeks, and she relayed something at the end of the month, I said that's later than I asked about and she said that a couple can be 2 or 3.......hmmm. This gives me pause.

Like Steam?

Old 03-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #18329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This gives me pause.

Yeah, I'd strongly suggest {PAUSE} being what you do there.

Cause if what almost certainly went through your head comes outta your mouth what comes up for the next couple weeks for you will be the lumps on your head
Old 03-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #18330
spleen1015
Coordinator

Say you're doing your business in a public office building restroom.

The layout of the restroom is basically 4 stalls on the left, 4 sinks on the right.

If you use the last stall, which sink are you going to use? The one in front of the stall you used or the one essentially in front of stall #1?

Last edited by spleen1015 : 03-04-2019 at 11:34 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #18331
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
In other random thoughts..the Mrs just told me, after I asked if we had anything coming up in the next couple weeks, and she relayed something at the end of the month, I said that's later than I asked about and she said that a couple can be 2 or 3.......hmmm. This gives me pause.

Trying to define the difference between what a couple means vs a few has been an ongoing "discussion" with my wife.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #18332
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Wow, what a shitty situation. I can relate though, I just missed a trip because of some Montezuma's Revenge that lasted over a week and resulted in a doctor visit. Maybe they got into some sketchy Mexican food?

My mom is in the hospital she had it so bad. I went to her house last Monday at the advice of my Aunt and my Mom looked terrible. I brought a bunch of gatorade and made her drink it. Told her I wanted to take her for an IV. She wouldn't. I made her call her doctor who told her if she feels bad enough go to hospital. She had it going on 2 weeks at that point. I told her I was coming back tomorrow and if she doesn't look better I am taking her to the ER. That night she puked everywhere and passed out. My dad called 911 and she was admitted with extreme dehydration and was in kidney failure.

I was beating myself up for not making her go when all my instincts said to. Then I realized had I not made her drink all those fluids she may not have gotten sick and died in her sleep. Sucks when we have to start parenting our parents.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #18333
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

The layout of the restroom is basically 4 stalls on the left, 4 sinks on the right.

If you use the last stall, which sink are you going to use? The one in front of the stall you used or the one essentially in front of stall #1?

Pretty sure there's actually a thread for this.

Last edited by stevew : 03-04-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:59 PM   #18334
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I would presume you go right out to the first sink you can reach (presumably the one in front of your stall). There are other considerations, of course (unstated in the hypothetical), such as soap dispenser and hand dryer locations or of course if someone is using any of the sinks.

But in and of itself, I don't think the sink location in relation to your stall or the door out is measurably important. Maybe a slight negative correlation for any sinks located further from the door and your stall but your hypothetical indicates you would be in the last (and furthest) stall.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #18335
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

First a rumor and now pretty much confirmed, my social media afternoon has been spent discussing (privately) the suicide of a guy I went to high school with.

I'll be clear (here at the FOFC): "friends" would be overstating our relationship but acquaintances is accurate enough. I've already seen people -- who were ostensibly closer/better acquainted with him than me -- say the "I'm just shocked" thing ... and that's 180 degrees from my gut reaction.

I won't go so far as to say I expected it or anything but there's not one ounce of surprise in it to me either.

He just fit a lot of checkboxes. Middle-aged, health problems, money problems, marital problems. And had a persistent streak of agitated depression.

Shocked? Hell, how could anyone even be surprised? I hate it, hate that someone went through those situations ... but damned if I know how anyone could have prevented it, short of heavy medication or 24/7 monitoring.

The thing that really kinda got me today though? The fact that I probably know 2-3 dozen people who fit the same basic profile.

I'm just rambling here FOFC, it's the random thread after all.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #18336
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
First a rumor and now pretty much confirmed, my social media afternoon has been spent discussing (privately) the suicide of a guy I went to high school with.

I'll be clear (here at the FOFC): "friends" would be overstating our relationship but acquaintances is accurate enough. I've already seen people -- who were ostensibly closer/better acquainted with him than me -- say the "I'm just shocked" thing ... and that's 180 degrees from my gut reaction.

I won't go so far as to say I expected it or anything but there's not one ounce of surprise in it to me either.

He just fit a lot of checkboxes. Middle-aged, health problems, money problems, marital problems. And had a persistent streak of agitated depression.

Shocked? Hell, how could anyone even be surprised? I hate it, hate that someone went through those situations ... but damned if I know how anyone could have prevented it, short of heavy medication or 24/7 monitoring.

The thing that really kinda got me today though? The fact that I probably know 2-3 dozen people who fit the same basic profile.

I'm just rambling here FOFC, it's the random thread after all.

Really sorry to hear that John.

Two plus months into 2019, I have had a friend do the same in January and the father of a kid I coached commit suicide in February. With my friend, yeah, frustrating as hell that everyone knew the possibility was there. He was just too proud to seek out any help.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #18337
Edward64
Head Coach

My initial thought was of course the kid should be able to do this. However, thinking about it, where does separation of church and state fit in and, if I support this, would I support someone wearing a burqa (and I wouldn't).

Quote:
It was his first time getting ashes on his forehead for Ash Wednesday, William told CNN.

But hours later, Fisher got a call from the school's principal, who told her that William's teacher had asked him what was on his forehead, and he told her it was an ash cross for Ash Wednesday. She told him it was "inappropriate," Fisher said, "so take it off."

The teacher handed William an antiseptic wipe and made him remove the ashes in front of his peers, Fisher said.

"I was furious," she told CNN. "This is who we are. This is part of our life as Catholics."
Old 03-09-2019, 12:45 AM   #18338
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My initial thought was of course the kid should be able to do this. However, thinking about it, where does separation of church and state fit in and, if I support this, would I support someone wearing a burqa (and I wouldn't).

Why wouldn't you support someone wearing a burqua?

This is stupid. Why would they make the decision to have this kid wipe off the ashes from Ash Wednesday? They're harmless and an expression of his religion. This seems like a really stupid thing to put your foot down on.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:10 AM   #18339
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Why wouldn't you support someone wearing a burqua?

This is stupid. Why would they make the decision to have this kid wipe off the ashes from Ash Wednesday? They're harmless and an expression of his religion. This seems like a really stupid thing to put your foot down on.

The below post is the beginning of a long discussion thread on burqa/burka. Its not primarily about religion or security, its more about assimilation.

However, I can see where burqa supporters see it as an expression of religion and if I support the religious expression of Ash Wednesday in a public school, it can be rightly asked why don't I support a burqa in a public school.

I don't support a burqa (for reasons expressed in the link below and the following discussion) and therefore can see that I'm somewhat hypocritical. I don't like being hypocritical so I am trying to think through it.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - The Trump Presidency – 2016

(Link didn't quite work the way I would have thought. Go to the Trump thread, find #10601 and read down for a page or two)

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-09-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #18340
Edward64
Head Coach

Probably a non-event and don't need to fly on Sat 4/6. Hope the guy is mistaken.

GPS Flaw: Security Expert Says He Won't Fly April 6
Quote:
That's the day millions of GPS receivers will literally run out of time, rolling over their time counters back to zero, thanks to limitations in timekeeping for older GPS devices. Many navigation systems may be affected, such as on ships or older aircraft, although your smartphone will be fine.

But because GPS satellites are also crucial to digital timekeeping used by websites, electrical grids, financial markets, data centers and computer networks, the effect of April 6 may be even more wide-ranging.

"I'm not going to be flying on April 6," said one information-security expert during a presentation at the RSA 2019 security conference in San Francisco this week.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #18341
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds like Y2K redux
Old 03-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #18342
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The below post is the beginning of a long discussion thread on burqa/burka. Its not primarily about religion or security, its more about assimilation.

However, I can see where burqa supporters see it as an expression of religion and if I support the religious expression of Ash Wednesday in a public school, it can be rightly asked why don't I support a burqa in a public school.

I don't support a burqa (for reasons expressed in the link below and the following discussion) and therefore can see that I'm somewhat hypocritical. I don't like being hypocritical so I am trying to think through it.

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - The Trump Presidency – 2016

(Link didn't quite work the way I would have thought. Go to the Trump thread, find #10601 and read down for a page or two)

FWIW...I whole heartedly support the kid's right to his ash cross, and I support the right of any muslim to wear a Burqa to school.

But I'm all tolerant and shit and also believe in freedom of Religion and expression as unusual as that belief is these days.

FWIW if a kid had a panagram on his forehead Id be ok with that also.

I also think the teacher should face sanctions for forcing him to wipe it off, specifically because of separation of church and state. She chose to make the classroom take a church stand

Last edited by CU Tiger : 03-10-2019 at 03:56 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #18343
stevew
Hall Of Famer

With Neverland Ranch at only 31million, I feel like FOFC or some other collective could make a bid.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #18344
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
With Neverland Ranch at only 31million, I feel like FOFC or some other collective could make a bid.

What exactly would FOFC do with Neverland Ranch?

Trout Farm?
Old 03-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #18345
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
FWIW...I whole heartedly support the kid's right to his ash cross, and I support the right of any muslim to wear a Burqa to school.

But I'm all tolerant and shit and also believe in freedom of Religion and expression as unusual as that belief is these days.

FWIW if a kid had a panagram on his forehead Id be ok with that also.

I also think the teacher should face sanctions for forcing him to wipe it off, specifically because of separation of church and state. She chose to make the classroom take a church stand

You mean pentagram/inverted pentagram ... or as Dana Carvey would say ... Satan! (ism). Nah, I rather not have any religious expression in public schools TBH.

I'm leaning towards separation of church and state, meaning the teacher/school had a right to ask the kid to remove it as as long as the teacher/school does it consistently with all forms of religious expression.

If a kid wants to express his/her religion, go to a private school but keep it out of public schools.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-10-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #18346
molson
General Manager

The concept of separation of church and state doesn't require the government to actively forbid private citizens' public religious expression on its property. Though that definitely would conflict with the free exercise clause.

Should the government also detain or cite those dangerous troublemakers who wander into state or federal property, like a park, wearing cross necklaces? Should yarmulkes be banned from government buildings and city parks? What exactly are we so afraid of? A private citizens' religious expression does not constitute a state establishment or endorsement of religion.

The First Amendment "requires the state to be a neutral in its relations with groups of religious believers and non-believers; it does not require the state to be their adversary. State power is no more to be used so as to handicap religions than it is to favor them." Good News Club v. Milford Cent. Sch., 533 U.S. 98 (2001).

That case and similar cases are cited in the U.S. Department of Education's Guidelines on religious expression on public schools. A line can be crossed when the school actively organizes or endorses some kind of religious activity, but a public school can't ban a student from praying or expressing religious belief through clothing, etc.

400 Bad Request

Last edited by molson : 03-12-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #18347
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm leaning towards separation of church and state, meaning the teacher/school had a right to ask the kid to remove it as as long as the teacher/school does it consistently with all forms of religious expression.

As stated, you'd have to change the First Amendment for that one. It would most assuredly violate free exercise of religion.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 PM   #18348
spleen1015
Coordinator

Talk about fucking up your kid's life....
Old 03-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #18349
molson
General Manager

Why are actresses involved in scams to get dumb athletes into college?
Old 03-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #18350
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Why are actresses involved in scams to get dumb athletes into college?

That wasn't the scam, at least for them. Lori Loughlin actually paid someone to get her daughters listed as athletes to improve their chances of getting into USC. Felicity just had a proctor correct her daughter's SAT scores, which led to an improvement of 1020 to 1420.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-12-2019 at 01:59 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote