Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Breaking News!!! Apple iPhone

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs on Tuesday introduced an eagerly-anticipated Apple-branded mobile phone with a touch-screen that combines features from the company's popular iPod music player.

While Apple watchers were expecting details on an Apple smartphone able to play music, make calls and perform other functions, the announcement at the annual Macworld conference still helped push the company's shares up more than 5 percent.

Jobs did not give immediate details on the pricing of the phone or its availability, but his speech was expected to continue until 11:00 a.m. local time. The phone will use the network of AT&T's cellular unit, Cingular Wireless.

The move also could help Apple bolster its dominant position in the market for portable digital media devices. The iPod now commands more than a 70 percent share of the U.S. market for MP3 players, as the devices are also known.

The new 11.6 millimeter phone includes a 3.5-inch wide touchscreen display with multi-touch support, 2 megapixel camera and 8 gigabytes of storage. It runs Apple's OS X operating system.

Jobs also said another device that allows users to stream movies, music, photos, podcasts and TV shows to their home entertainment systems would ship in February. Dubbed "AppleTV," the 40 gigabyte machine will cost $299, the same price Jobs forecast back in September.

Jobs also said movies from Paramount films would be sold in on Apple's iTunes online music store in addition to titles from Disney.

Apple has sold more than 70 million iPods since they were introduced and consumers have bought more than 2 billion songs for about 99 cents each on iTunes. More than 220 television shows are also available on iTunes.

Apple shares rose $4.30 to $88.77 following the announcement.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

that's a farging colossal phone
Old 01-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

This IS breaking news!!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Pricing is $499 for a 4GB iPhone, $599 for 8GB. And as the article states, only through Cingular. Well, at least until the first unlock code comes out, then any GSM service.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-09-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: service, not phone
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

That screen looks like it would crack in about 3 seconds.

But I don't care if the thing had free NFL Sunday Ticket and played it flawlessly...I would never use a phone that only had Cingular service. Their service is pathetic around here.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
That screen looks like it would crack in about 3 seconds.

But I don't care if the thing had free NFL Sunday Ticket and played it flawlessly...I would never use a phone that only had Cingular service. Their service is pathetic around here.

I'm completely tied to Verizon because it is the only one that gives good service in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

500 for a phone? My LG cost $50, and for another $30, I was able to put a miniSD 1 GB card in it.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
that's a farging colossal phone

For some reason, I have this image of snopes.com:

RUMOR: Steve Jobs and the Apple Corporation have discovered a race of Giants and are arming them with colossal technolgy so as to facilitate their takeover of the world.

This rumor appears to have started with a photograph taken in early 2007 in which . . . .
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
AgustusM
College Prospect

can anyone think of any worse kept "secret" then this???
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
can anyone think of any worse kept "secret" then this???

That Google is going to take over the world.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #12
AgustusM
College Prospect

http://www.apple.com/iphone/phone/

official website. I normally hate all things apple, but damn that is an impressive phone.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #13
Subby
lolzcat

Nice merging of iPod, phone, camera, organizer - with a bigger screen for movie/show/video viewing.

Looks pretty good to me.

I CAN NOW TALK *AND* WATCH MOVIES WHILE DRIVING!!!!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I want one.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #15
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My 2nd Gen 40GB iPod (which I only use 6GB of) and my RAZR are both getting a bit long in the tooth, and the idea of only carrying around one device instead of two is pretty appealing...
Old 01-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
AgustusM
College Prospect

Built-in Advanced Sensors
iPhone’s accelerometer detects when you rotate the device from portrait to landscape, then automatically changes the contents of the display, so you immediately see the entire width of a web page or a photo in its proper landscape aspect ratio.

that is pretty damn cool.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #17
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

That. Will be broken in 30 seconds of carrying around in my pocket.

Sigh. Give me a PHONE. Not a freakin' fashion statement.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #18
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I'll consider getting one when the price comes down and they provide it to Verizon customers...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #19
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Whoever gets one first can let me know how your new giant sized phone is when they air deliver it via dual helicopers on your front lawn.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, sure, my phone looks impressive, don't touch it, but I predict that within 100 years, phones will be twice as powerful, 10,000 times larger, and so expensive that only the five richest kings of Europe will own them.

Last edited by QuikSand : 01-09-2007 at 02:44 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
Built-in Advanced Sensors
iPhone’s accelerometer detects when you rotate the device from portrait to landscape, then automatically changes the contents of the display, so you immediately see the entire width of a web page or a photo in its proper landscape aspect ratio.

that is pretty damn cool.

that's a lot ado about nothing. my phone does that already.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #22
Flasch186
Coordinator

now if only Apple buys Sirius my Sirius stock should frickin' boom!!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #23
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I usually find Apple products over-rated/over-priced and am highly annoyed at the attitudes most Mac-users hold, but at first glance this smartphone is very, very impressive. The real test will be actually using it and seeing how well the touch-screen functionality works, and how durable it is.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #24
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
My 2nd Gen 40GB iPod (which I only use 6GB of) and my RAZR are both getting a bit long in the tooth, and the idea of only carrying around one device instead of two is pretty appealing...

That was my thinking when I got my phone a few months back...you can have this stuff already, and cheaper.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #25
TroyF
Coordinator

My concern is in airplanes. I do a ton of traveling and if there is no way to turn off the phone from and leave the MP3 player on, it's useless in a plane.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #26
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
My concern is in airplanes. I do a ton of traveling and if there is no way to turn off the phone from and leave the MP3 player on, it's useless in a plane.

My Smart Phone (Cingular 8125) has a mode for when you're on a plane.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #27
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
That was my thinking when I got my phone a few months back...you can have this stuff already, and cheaper.

True, but I'm beginning to think that having the device run on OSX will be worth the price of admission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

Since it does run on OSX, I'd be very surprised if you wouldn't be able to simply turn off the service that runs the phone portion of the hardware.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #28
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

yeah, it's a nice phone. Too bad it's Apple and Cingular. Oh well, just like everything else Apple makes, something else will come along that does the same or more, for less. And I won't have to be stuck buying on iTunes.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #29
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
yeah, it's a nice phone. Too bad it's Apple and Cingular. Oh well, just like everything else Apple makes, something else will come along that does the same or more, for less. And I won't have to be stuck buying on iTunes.

1) They said they will be working on one that works on other services
2) Like the Zune?

Old 01-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #30
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
And I won't have to be stuck buying on iTunes.

Not sure about the other stuff, but you sure don't have to buy music on iTunes to listen to it in an iPod.. I haven't bought a song on iTunes and my 80 Gb iPod is at least half full by now.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #31
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
1) They said they will be working on one that works on other services
2) Like the Zune?

There is nothing in the hardware of the phone that keeps it from working with any GSM provider. There is just some sort of software key on it that will only allow it to work with a Cingular branded SIM card. This is referred to as "locking" the phone to a particular provider. This is easily overridden, and I'm sure that the fix will be out the same day as the iPhone. You will also probably be able to buy an unlocked phone to use on any GSM service, but the price will probably be $200 to $300 higher.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #32
cartman
Death Herald

Dola,

Lost in the shuffle of today's product announcements is that Apple is dropping 'Computer' from the official company name. It'll now just be Apple, Inc.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #33
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
There is nothing in the hardware of the phone that keeps it from working with any GSM provider. There is just some sort of software key on it that will only allow it to work with a Cingular branded SIM card. This is referred to as "locking" the phone to a particular provider. This is easily overridden, and I'm sure that the fix will be out the same day as the iPhone. You will also probably be able to buy an unlocked phone to use on any GSM service, but the price will probably be $200 to $300 higher.

I know this. I'm referring to a non-GSM version.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:42 PM   #34
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola,

Lost in the shuffle of today's product announcements is that Apple is dropping 'Computer' from the official company name. It'll now just be Apple, Inc.

Hell, I think Apple TV was lost in the shuffle. (Not that I think it's very noteworthy, and only would be if it were a PVR)

Old 01-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #35
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I know this. I'm referring to a non-GSM version.

Gotcha.

But with only Sprint and Verizon on CDMA in North America only, and the rest of the world on one of the 4 GSM frequencies, I would be surprised if we saw a CDMA version soon. And it will be a while before a non-Cingular branded iPhone is available on T-Mobile or AT&T, since Cingular evidently ponied up $150 million to be the exclusive US Vendor. Not sure for how long. I think it was 6 months that Cingular was the only place you could get a RAZR.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #36
Emiliano
College Prospect

Looks very good. Any word on the Euro release? I'm guessing that with this Cingular exclusive, it gets released in the US first. I hope they'll release it no-brand over here, I've always hated branded phones.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #37
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
Looks very good. Any word on the Euro release? I'm guessing that with this Cingular exclusive, it gets released in the US first. I hope they'll release it no-brand over here, I've always hated branded phones.

Swedish newspapers are saying fall 2007.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #38
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post

It looks like O2 is going to be the exclusive provider in Europe to begin with. If I remember, then that means they will be Wind in Italy?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #39
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
It looks like O2 is going to be the exclusive provider in Europe to begin with. If I remember, then that means they will be Wind in Italy?

I guess. I just checked their site, and they're advertising the i-Mode technology, which is Wind-exclusive here. I'm not 100% sure, though.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #40
Easy Mac

So I take it the $500 pricetag is including being subsidized by Cingular? Most smart phones are 100-200 cheaper with a contract than buying straight out, but i'm assuming the iphone isn't. I'm content that outside of the Itunes part, my current phone can do all the same things (though the screen is only 240x320 and not as sharp), but I'll be damned if I won't get an iPhone anyway.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #41
Easy Mac

A cool comparison of its size

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/a...to-q-and-bb-p/
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #42
Emiliano
College Prospect

High quality images of the iPhone.

Wow.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #43
cartman
Death Herald

I wonder if that really is Steve Jobs' phone number. Look at the 4th pic down after the text. LOL!

hxxp://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/
Old 01-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #44
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I wonder if that really is Steve Jobs' phone number. Look at the 4th pic down after the text. LOL!

hxxp://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/
I'm going to guess that's Apple's phone number.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #45
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm going to guess that's Apple's phone number.
Checked and confirmed.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #46
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

http://www.pvponline.com/images/2980.gif
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #47
Easy Mac

And just like that, I don't geel like getting the iPod phone.
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/09/iphon...-applications/

It seems you can't install any apps on it, so you can only do what Apple wants. I was hoping it was a real OSx install, so I could throw some fun stuff on there. Imagine if I could have skype on that thing. It looks slick as hell, but its too locked down.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #48
Easy Mac

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/10/cisco...one-trademark/

And now Cisco is suing Apple over the iPhone trademark. Seems Apple didn't sign the paperwork for the name in time, and Cisco said FU
Old 01-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #49
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/10/cisco...one-trademark/

And now Cisco is suing Apple over the iPhone trademark. Seems Apple didn't sign the paperwork for the name in time, and Cisco said FU

So I guess the transitional name is iPwned
Old 01-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #50
RendeR
Coordinator

I don't understand why all these tencho-hippy toys are always supposed to be "breaking news"

its a gizmo, get a grip.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote