Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #451
WheelsVT
High School JV

Game Dev Story had me hooked this weekend. Good game, but once I built up capital it became a quest to get game of the year and build a console (which I just found out means converting one of your employees to Level 5 in all jobs to open that job option). Still fun to play though and come up with game names.

It's the first iPhone app I've ever really gotten hooked on. Now I'm looking for that next fix...
WheelsVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #452
WheelsVT
High School JV

dola, I'm also finding that my 3G can't handle higher powered games well. Red Alert just freezes. Any recommendations on a Diablo-like game?

Last edited by WheelsVT : 01-03-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #453
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Death Worm is free today if you want some mindless arcade fun. Been playing for 20 minutes now and it's a good timewaster.

FM
Old 01-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #454
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Hey Wade, it's your turn on Disc Drivin'.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #455
samifan24
Pro Starter

I've tried Disc Drivin' with Frogman and Terpkristin and I'm not really a fan. It's slow and difficult to control. I guess I'm the only one not having fun with the game since it seems like everyone is still playing it.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #456
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I've tried Disc Drivin' with Frogman and Terpkristin and I'm not really a fan. It's slow and difficult to control. I guess I'm the only one not having fun with the game since it seems like everyone is still playing it.

I'm with you on this one. My wife and I tried it some, but got bored with it pretty quickly.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #457
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I had to say enough on my iPhone 3G for Disc Drivin. It was too slow for me too. On my iTouch, however, it works great.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #458
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It's definitely not my favorite game, I'm not sure if I suck because I have yet to find the touch or if it's just hard to control.

But as a multiplayer diversion, it's not too bad.

I really suck.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #459
Raiders Army
Coordinator

hrm. I really suck at carcassonne.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #460
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I had to say enough on my iPhone 3G for Disc Drivin. It was too slow for me too. On my iTouch, however, it works great.

My iPhone 3G is probably the problem. I can't wait to upgrade to a Verizon iPhone 4 or the AT&T iPhone 5.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #461
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
hrm. I really suck at carcassonne.

nah, you just need to practice more. Speaking of Carcassonne, TK and I jus played each other to a 103-103 tie. Talk about being even.

As for DD, I really like it. Maybe it simply works better on a Touch like RA said.

FM
Old 01-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #462
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, also about Carcassonne, my wife and I went to a good toy store with a nice selection of board games today and I was all happy to point Carcassonne to her, saying "you know, it's that game I'm always playing on my Touch"

They had something like 6 or 7 expansions and from what the developers said, they would try to make them available as in-app purchases. Thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me that they could discount the price of the main game to coincide with the release of a new expansions. Will keep you guys posted if I see something as I really like playing this game and would really like to have more FOFCers to play it with.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 01-03-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: it's expansions, not extensions ;)
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #463
WheelsVT
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
dola, also about Carcassonne, my wife and I went to a good toy store with a nice selection of board games today and I was all happy to point Carcassonne to her, saying "you know, it's that game I'm always playing on my Touch"

They had something like 6 or 7 expansions and from what the developers said, they would try to make them available as in-app purchases. Thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me that they could discount the price of the main game to coincide with the release of a new expansions. Will keep you guys posted if I see something as I really like playing this game and would really like to have more FOFCers to play it with.

FM

Ok, I've been tempted to try it. I'll try it out tonight. At $10 it would be the most expensive app I've bought to date, and I have no idea how it's played. But everyone seems to really enjoy it.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM   #464
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelsVT View Post
Ok, I've been tempted to try it. I'll try it out tonight. At $10 it would be the most expensive app I've bought to date, and I have no idea how it's played. But everyone seems to really enjoy it.

gulp, well, I can't speak for everyone but I certainly love playing it. Let's see, I've played 14 games with online friends (i.e. with FOFCers), 7 more with bots (although this will likely go up in a flash as I'm warming up to them), 6-7 solitaire games and one quick play online game against a complete stranger (and this also might go up in the coming days)*. I'm still learning how to play and find new little twists during almost every game.

See my post on the previous page to read a bit about what the game is about. You can also read the official board game manual on the Rio Grande Games website. The game has won many prizes as best board game, mainly in Europe I believe and its port to the iDevice is just well done. The multiplayer's push notifications work perfectly and you can play many games at once and get text notifications on your screen when another table is ready for you to play your move...

FM
Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #465
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just finished my second quickplay online game of Carcassonne. Lost it badly but still had fun. Opponent's ELO was around 1370 while mine is only at about 1170. Game took 21 minutes to play.

FM
Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #466
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, realizing I don't think I ever explained how the qick online play works. When you ask to start a quick online game, a timer appears showing how long you've been waiting to be matched to another player of similar level to you and an estimate of how long it should take to find you an opponent. In my case the estimate was 33 seconds byt it actually only took 18 seconds or so for me to be ready to start. I was matched with someone from Germany although we had to chat to know that as the game doesn't show where you're from. In the game each player has 90 seconds to place his/her tile. We placed our 72 tiles in 21 minutes or an average og 17.5 seconds per tile. As I said, it was fun.

FM
Old 01-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #467
samifan24
Pro Starter

FrogMan, the Carcassone iPhone developer should pay you for marketing their game. I don't want to buy a $10 game without trying it first and even I'm itching to buy the game to try it out and see what everyone is all excited about.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #468
Izulde
Head Coach

I do have $30 in iTune gift cards, but I'll wait till it's on sale.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #469
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
FrogMan, the Carcassone iPhone developer should pay you for marketing their game. I don't want to buy a $10 game without trying it first and even I'm itching to buy the game to try it out and see what everyone is all excited about.

yeah, but that part in red is making me nervous. See, I love the game and I assume the others playing with me do to. TK and I have played games back and forth and the minute we finish one I don't even have time to challenge her to a new game that she sends a challenge back. I just wouldn't want anyone to absolutely want to get this game, especially at its price point, on my word alone.

There are plenty of positive review though, so here are a few:
Carcassonne Review | Touch Arcade
Carcassonne Review – Games, Reviews, iPhone Apps and Games – 148Apps – iPhone App and Game Reviews and News
Carcassonne Review | iPhone and iPad Games App | Macworld
FingerGaming » Review: Carcassonne - Gaming on the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad
Carcassonne in review – more confusing to spell than play | TouchMyApps
Carcassonne iPhone Game Info - Slide To Play

I am also sending an email to the developers, asking for some sort of a demo. Doesn't hurt asking.

FM
Old 01-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #470
Subby
lolzcat

RunKeeper is normally $9.95 but they are giving it away for free this month.

Great GPS-enabled, socially-connected running journal. Available iun the App Store.

Here is the website: Track Your Running, Measure Your Fitness, and Improve Your Training | RunKeeper
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 01-04-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #471
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Dola,
If you like pinball, I'd recommend Pinball HD, which is 99 cents. It includes the Wild West pinball table (I've mentioned the standalone Wild West app, made by the same people), The Deep table, and the Jungle table. It's a fantastic pinball app.

/tk

Wild West Pinball is free today. Just downloaded it.

FM
Old 01-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #472
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:

See, I love the game and I assume the others playing with me do to.

FM - I love Carcassonne, it was my favorite iPhone game, and is now my favorite iPad app. Last night I finally broke onto the Quick Play High Score Board. #236, having played 371 games and winning 59.6%.... Play at least 2 games every night....
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #473
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
FM - I love Carcassonne, it was my favorite iPhone game, and is now my favorite iPad app. Last night I finally broke onto the Quick Play High Score Board. #236, having played 371 games and winning 59.6%.... Play at least 2 games every night....

oh, wow, congrats! But now, you just scared me out of asking for a challenge.

Oh what the heck, PM me an email addy and we can get something going.

I also have two other people outside of FOFC (husband and wife) that I know play the game but I've been way too afraid to challenge them. Maybe now's the time I let loose

FM
Old 01-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #474
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
oh, wow, congrats! But now, you just scared me out of asking for a challenge.

Oh what the heck, PM me an email addy and we can get something going.

I also have two other people outside of FOFC (husband and wife) that I know play the game but I've been way too afraid to challenge them. Maybe now's the time I let loose

FM

Will do! Looking forward to it!
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #475
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
Will do! Looking forward to it!

invite sent. Looking forward to gettin destroyed.

Or maybe I'll learn a thing or two.

FM
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 AM   #476
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
invite sent. Looking forward to gettin destroyed.

Or maybe I'll learn a thing or two.

FM

and we played that game in its entirety in one sitting last night. Was pretty cool and I didn't get destroyed too much. Lost it 98-66 or something like that after failing to seal one big city. Was a pretty strategic battle to get control of that city. Take a look below. With only 6 tiles remaining in the game, he got the one he really want (it has a blue color around it on the table) and was able to connect his blue meeple from the bottom to the the rest of the city, giving him control with 3 meeples to my 2 meeples. I still would not have won if we had shared control of that city since we both would have received equal points for the city (19 or so).

As I said, it was a lot of fun and we battled it out until the last few tiles.

FM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (84.3 KB, 174 views)
Old 01-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #477
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

just realized that SoundHound, a music recognition app for which the free version used to have a limited numer of searches per month now comes with an unlimited number of searches. I find it pretty handy since my wife is into hip hop dancing and often she hears a song on a dance show but we can't figure out who it's from.

FM
Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #478
Pyser
Pro Rookie

im not too happy that this thread became all about games. i wouldnt mind if we split the threads up

anyway, in that vein, bigger companies that i just got around to getting the apps for:

Bing - just use it to check their maps. the new google one in the iphone hasnt been too right on travel time for me lately

Redbox - worked as advertised. easily rented a movie from a kiosk a few hours before i was able to get there and pick it up

Paypal - finally downloaded it. still creeps me out to put bank info and stuff on there, but havent heard any horror stories, unless you guys know of any
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #479
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
Paypal - finally downloaded it. still creeps me out to put bank info and stuff on there, but havent heard any horror stories, unless you guys know of any

Just make sure you avoid using the app while on unsecured WiFi.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #480
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Just make sure you avoid using the app while on unsecured WiFi.

what about 3g? or even edge? are those secure?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #481
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
what about 3g? or even edge? are those secure?

more secure in the fact that someone can't be running a wifi sniffer and see your data.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #482
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Just so FM, tk et al knows, I left my iTouch at work. I won't be playing Disc Drivin or Carcassonne tonight. It'll be tomorrow when I can do my turns. Sorry.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #483
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Just so FM, tk et al knows, I left my iTouch at work. I won't be playing Disc Drivin or Carcassonne tonight. It'll be tomorrow when I can do my turns. Sorry.

good to know I have not scared you away from Carcassonne yet

FM
Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #484
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Hey I was winning at one point! (I think before it was your turn...)
Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #485
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Hey I was winning at one point! (I think before it was your turn...)

FM
Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #486
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm definitely digging Carcassone (still). And Word With Friends. And though I'm getting "better" at Disc Drivin', it's still not my favorite. What I think is driving me a little nuts is that it's hard to figure out exactly what the touch should be in the swipe. Sometimes it feels like I barely touch it and it rockets away, others I try to do a controlled move and it bounces left and right weirdly. Oh well.

If anybody wants to play Words With Friends or Carcassone or DD with me, my user name is terpkristin and my email is kpilotteATgmailDOTcom

/tk
Old 01-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #487
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
I was going through the iTunes store, looking at the app recommendations.

From the "Apps Starter Kit" section, I have the following:
Amazon Mobile
CameraBag
Facebook
Movies by Flixster
Netflix
Pandora
Shazam
Twitter

Of the above, the only ones I don't think have been mentioned much here are CameraBag and Flixster, both of which I recommend. Another nifty camera app is Hipstamatic.

From the Games Starter Kit section, I have the following:
Plants vs. Zombies
Angry Birds (still not my favorite game)
Homerun Battle 3D (still one of my faves)
Canabalt
Words With Friends

The only "Apps for Shopping" app I have is the aforementioned Amazon one, but I might look at the REI app, since i'm virtually addicted to that store.

I also like the IMDb app in the "Hall of Fame" section.

Some of the ones in the "Rest and Relaxation" category look interesting, like timers for meditation and yoga and such. One there, called "White Noise" is great if you like white noise (or a variety of other sounds) to listen to while trying to fall asleep or while trying to work.

One thing I wish the app store had was a better way to highlight great games, except by rating and stuff (because I never really trust ratings).

/tk
Old 01-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #488
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I'm definitely digging Carcassone (still). And Word With Friends. And though I'm getting "better" at Disc Drivin', it's still not my favorite. What I think is driving me a little nuts is that it's hard to figure out exactly what the touch should be in the swipe. Sometimes it feels like I barely touch it and it rockets away, others I try to do a controlled move and it bounces left and right weirdly. Oh well.

If anybody wants to play Words With Friends or Carcassone or DD with me, my user name is terpkristin and my email is kpilotteATgmailDOTcom

/tk

glad you dig Carcassonne as you are the person with whom I play the most and I would like to keep playing with you for a while...

I also agree with the unresponsiveness of controls for DD. The game is fun, but yeah it can be frustrating.

I've wanted to install Words with Friends for a while now. Care to explain how it's played?

FM
Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #489
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Words With Friends is a Scrabble clone for 2 players, either locally (passing the iPod back and forth) or over the internet. Whoever starts the game goes first (which is slightly different from regular Scrabble) and if you make a word that's not a word, it doesn't make you lose your turn. It's very much like Carcassone in that there's no time limit or anything, and there's a chat feature to send messages to your opponent. Letter tiles are worth various amounts of points and the TW (triple word), TL (triple letter), DW (double word) and DL (double letter) are all just like Scrabble. Also just like Scrabble, if you use all 7 letters in your hand for a single word, you get a "bingo" bonus of I think 35 points.

Right this moment I have games going with:
Dodgerchick
my mom
my sister
two friends from work (separate games)

Also just like Scrabble, some of the words that are allowed drive me nuts (like "ZA" is a legit word, or "QI"), but I love word games and this is no exception.

/tk
Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #490
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Interesting, I should probably give this a try. Could help me build some more vocabulary.

I remember seeing that the ad-free version was on sale fo 99cents and it seems to still be the case. Might give it a go when I get home... Will let you know.

FM
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #491
samifan24
Pro Starter

I can't believe you haven't played Words, FM, you are like the iPhone game king in this thread. It's a great game.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #492
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I can't believe you haven't played Words, FM, you are like the iPhone game king in this thread. It's a great game.

yeah, I know but you see, English is not my first language (shocking, no?) so word games are not the first games I go to although I do have 8 word games already installed on my Touch: Moxie (free), bookworm, cash roulette (more a wheel of fortune type game), moblox, wordwarrior, textropolis, wordsalad and word ace. Admittedly, I think I have only tried out Moxie more than once, and Cash roulette, but as I said, it's more a spin the wheel and guess a sentence kind of game than a "find words" kind of game.

Anyway, Word with Friends is downloaded and I'll sync it to my Touch when I get back from my parents' place later tonight. Gotta go fix their Thunderbird. Looks like my mom might have messed up something somewhere in their computer.

FM
Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #493
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
yeah, I know but you see, English is not my first language (shocking, no?) so word games are not the first games I go to

If it makes you feel any better, my wife is also English second language, but some games she kicks my butt. We have found that Words with friends heavily allows in various english variants of foreign words including Spanish, french, Japanese, etc. In the end the game seems to come down to who gets lucky enough to get the triple and double word squares usually wins.

Either way, pretty fun multiplayer game especially for free.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #494
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
If it makes you feel any better, my wife is also English second language, but some games she kicks my butt. We have found that Words with friends heavily allows in various english variants of foreign words including Spanish, french, Japanese, etc. In the end the game seems to come down to who gets lucky enough to get the triple and double word squares usually wins.

Either way, pretty fun multiplayer game especially for free.

interesting, thanks for the info. Game's installed now and fwiw, I went with the ad-free version that's still selling at the reduced price of 99cents.

FM
Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #495
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

I know! This is shocking
Old 01-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #496
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I know! This is shocking

FM
Old 01-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #497
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, and indeed, Words with Friends is fun.

FM
Old 01-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #498
QuikSand
lolzcat

Do I need an email addy to Play MP carcassonne? If anyone wants to play me, drop a pm or email invite to msanderson 313 at gee-mail
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #499
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Do I need an email addy to Play MP carcassonne? If anyone wants to play me, drop a pm or email invite to msanderson 313 at gee-mail

sent you an invite to that addy. It includes a link but I think you have to copy/paste it into safari for it to start Carcassonne. From that point on, I'll be listed in your friends to start future games.

Looking forward to playing with you.

FM
Old 01-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #500
samifan24
Pro Starter

I have a gift card and am thinking about Carcassone. Has anyone disliked it after trying it? Can you still have fun if you're only playing the computer or is it mostly a multiplayer game only?