Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #51
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I saw a story (same one?) mention that Drew wasn't really interested in an interim title, that he wanted a multi-year deal up front or might not take the job. So he could potentially be a VERY short-term (unofficial) interim.

I mean, SOMEbody has to be technically in charge, right?

Yes it is the same story and it is not that big a deal really. I just find it silly that the Cavs are letting Larry Flipping Drew make demands of your organization to take over for what should be a short term appointment as HC of a 25 win team.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They should just ask George Hill if he wants to be head coach. I feel like he's going to be a good coach some day.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #53
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bulls gave up 87+ first half points.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #54
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Bulls gave up 87+ first half points.

92 with Klay having 36 points.

Crazy
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #55
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Klay with 52 in 26 minutes and 14 threes. He was 5/36 on the season going into tonight.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 AM   #56
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I saw a story (same one?) mention that Drew wasn't really interested in an interim title, that he wanted a multi-year deal up front or might not take the job. So he could potentially be a VERY short-term (unofficial) interim.

I mean, SOMEbody has to be technically in charge, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Yes it is the same story and it is not that big a deal really. I just find it silly that the Cavs are letting Larry Flipping Drew make demands of your organization to take over for what should be a short term appointment as HC of a 25 win team.
Larry Drew coached 3 .500+ Hawks teams & wasn't asked back, then got fired after 1 season as coach of a rebuilding Bucks team. I don't think he would actually be in consideration for a future NBA HC job, but if he takes over the Cavs dumpster fire and they continue being a dumpster fire it'd probably kill his chances, so with his bank account I don't blame him for asking them to give him a bigger guarantee/buyout.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:47 AM   #57
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We now must enact a ban of all tribute videos. The Clippers have ruined it for everybody!

The day they traded this fucker, I coulda done back flips of joy down the entire stretch of a football field and back. Glad I wasn't there. I mighta walked out in protest.

Austin Rivers is a shitty basketball player. I'm stunned we even got a aerviceable.player for him, even Marcin Gortat.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #58
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Has there ever been a player - maybe in ANY sport - who has benefitted from style/scheme/teammates than Klay Thompson?
Old 10-30-2018, 01:50 PM   #59
miami_fan
Coordinator

*checks Klay's stat line*

ZERO ASSISTS!

HE'S A SELFISH PLAYER!

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #60
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Has there ever been a player - maybe in ANY sport - who has benefitted from style/scheme/teammates than Klay Thompson?

I think this is way off base. Klay could get his shot on any team, he's efficient moving without the ball in his cuts and reads, and needs only a split second to get his shot off. In fact, he'd probably score 25-30 a night on most any other roster.

Last edited by korme : 10-30-2018 at 11:17 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:14 AM   #61
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I think this is way off base. Klay could get his shot on any team, he's efficient moving without the ball in his cuts and reads, and needs only a split second to get his shot off. In fact, he'd probably score 25-30 a night on most any other roster.

Oh, I'm as big a fan as they come and the question is mostly tongue-in-cheek. His defense is great, and his release is insane fast (I think fivethirtyeight did an article on it maybe last year as being by far the fastest in the NBA). The last few years he has developed a lot more offensively than just the off-ball movement and catch-and-release shot as well, especially with Curry sidelined for stretches.

That being said, you take away the insane star power around him and you have to wonder how much that would affect him offensively. The dude dribbles the ball like 3 times per game.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 10-31-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:29 AM   #62
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Jimmy Butler + Andrew Wiggings for Klay.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #63
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Oh, I'm as big a fan as they come and the question is mostly tongue-in-cheek. His defense is great, and his release is insane fast (I think fivethirtyeight did an article on it maybe last year as being by far the fastest in the NBA). The last few years he has developed a lot more offensively than just the off-ball movement and catch-and-release shot as well, especially with Curry sidelined for stretches.

That being said, you take away the insane star power around him and you have to wonder how much that would affect him offensively. The dude dribbles the ball like 3 times per game.
I think he'd still be Clippers JJ Redick or Hawks Kyle Korver, except really really good defensively... so usually an All-Star and on the 3rd team All-NBA bubble like he is now. I don't think his scoring average would go up drastically on a different team because that style of player can be schemed against, but I do think he would open up space and increase his teammates efficiency significantly if teams focused on defending him as the primary threat.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #64
BishopMVP
Coordinator

PS break up the Kings.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #65
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
PS break up the Kings.

No shit

I have a bet under 25.5 wins, should light that ticket on fire.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #66
miami_fan
Coordinator

equals
Old 10-31-2018, 04:47 PM   #67
Groundhog
Coordinator

Treading down that Kawhi path.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:58 PM   #68
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Who needs him? Not Derrick Rose.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:07 PM   #69
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

2018-10-31_22-34-47 - Streamable

Emotional end of the game for Derrick Rose as he puts up a career high 50 points. Unreal.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:30 AM   #70
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
2018-10-31_22-34-47 - Streamable

Emotional end of the game for Derrick Rose as he puts up a career high 50 points. Unreal.

Wait 'til Jimmy gets a hold of this video.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #71
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The Wizards are now 1-7, have the worst point differential in the East (-12.1), and the most points against in the league (123.9, though pace adjusted I think they're still ahead of the Cavs & maybe the Bulls). Apparently keeping Scotty Brooks and adding Dwight Howard and Austin Rivers to a team with chemistry issues doesn't solve them.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:14 AM   #72
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Fun fact I saw on ESPN.

Rose, Blake Griffin, Steph and Klay all had 50 point games in a stretch of nine days.

Last time that happened? 2007, when Kobe did it. All four times.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #73
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The Wizards are now 1-7, have the worst point differential in the East (-12.1), and the most points against in the league (123.9, though pace adjusted I think they're still ahead of the Cavs & maybe the Bulls). Apparently keeping Scotty Brooks and adding Dwight Howard and Austin Rivers to a team with chemistry issues doesn't solve them.

Better job?

Wizards or Cavs?

Only 45% joking
Old 11-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #74
Izulde
Head Coach

Kinda makes me want to take the Wizards in DDS19.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #75
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Better job?

Wizards or Cavs?

Only 45% joking
Wizards for job security alone haha. I don't know what a coach or GM needs to do to get fired there, meanwhile on the other hand... Dan Gilbert.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #76
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Westbrook just went down in a heap and it looked pretty bad.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #77
miami_fan
Coordinator

I grabbed my ankle when I saw the replay.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #78
miami_fan
Coordinator

Jimmy Butler to the Sixers?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #79
miami_fan
Coordinator

Minnesota Timberwolves trading Jimmy Butler to Philadelphia 76ers
Old 11-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #80
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Excited about that nucleus for Philly!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:43 PM   #81
Groundhog
Coordinator

Risky move for Philly, IMO, but they are officially all-in now, I guess.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not that the Cavs can win anyways, but I'm all in on tank for Zion
Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What's up with the CBA? Jimmer scores 75 and loses cause Pierre Jackson scored 63 and hit a walk off 3.

It would be fun to see Melo go over there.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:37 AM   #84
Groundhog
Coordinator

The CBA is... not very good.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #85
miami_fan
Coordinator

So who is the Bosh/Love/Klay of the Sixers' Big Three? Simmons?
Old 11-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #86
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Risky move for Philly, IMO, but they are officially all-in now, I guess.
I'm not sure how "all in" this move is. Covington makes $36 mil over the next 3 years and is an average SF. Bayless was an expiring who didn't play and the 2022 2nd round pick isn't very valuable. Saric is a nice player, but he's not an All-Star. He's a 12-6 guy who's an RFA after next season (and will want to get paid). I think it's a slam dunk for Philly. They kept Fultz, all their 1sts and their top 3 players. They basically went from Covington and Saric to Butler and more minutes for Wilson Chandler without giving up any of their future assets or young players on long term contracts.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #87
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's all in because they are taking a risk that Butler works out for them, and meshes with the Simmons/Embiid core and they compete for championships within the next couple of years. Pre-Minny days I'd have thought no problem, but who knows. I might be a rarity but I don't think Butler was necessarily in the wrong in Minny and KAT/Wiggins don't "want it" enough - do Simmons and Embiid? Maybe, maybe not. There's a risk this entire thing derails the Sixers, IMO.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #88
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Butler- Embiid has the potential for epic blow ups.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #89
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It's all in because they are taking a risk that Butler works out for them, and meshes with the Simmons/Embiid core and they compete for championships within the next couple of years. Pre-Minny days I'd have thought no problem, but who knows. I might be a rarity but I don't think Butler was necessarily in the wrong in Minny and KAT/Wiggins don't "want it" enough - do Simmons and Embiid? Maybe, maybe not. There's a risk this entire thing derails the Sixers, IMO.

I agree with Butler not being the problem in Minny. Thibodeau and the shit-show of a roster they've built is the underlying issue there.

Definitely some risk here for Philly, but the difference is there are clear effort issues with Wiggins and KAT. Wiggins still hasn't improved since reaching the NBA and KAT is one of the lowest effort bigs defensively in the league. Towns should be as good as Anthony Davis, Jokic, or Embiid, but he doesn't want it. I still think the Wolves would have been better off keeping Lavine and trading Wiggins.

Simmons and Embiid both have good reps for putting in work and neither have effort issues. The bright side for Philly is even if this blows up they still have Embiid and Simmons to build around.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #90
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
I guess I can see if it goes so bad that they are worse this season, but this team wasn't beating Boston, Toronto and Golden State as is. With Butler, they could be the favorite to make the Finals and have a puncher's chance against Golden State.

But let's say they lose to Boston in the Eastern Finals and Butler was a complete disaster. They will go into the offseason with about $60 mil in cap space without Jimmy and only lost two years of Covington on a bad deal, a 2nd round pick and the right to make Saric an RFA offer the following year. I just don't see the long term cost even if Butler is a rental and leaves. But if he stays, they will have a core of Embiid, Butler, Simmons, Zhaire Smith and potentially Fultz (if he clicks) - plus about $30 mil in cap space this offseason. This could be the start of a dominant team in the East if it works. And if it doesn't, you have $60 mil in cap space to pivot. Just getting off the Covington deal was enough to make this a push no matter how Butler plays.

Last edited by Arles : 11-12-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #91
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Caris LeVert just took a nasty fall that will in all likelihood end his season, if not career. Horrible as there was only 3 seconds left in the half. Looked similar to what happened to the kid at Louisville a few years back.

It is a real shame as he had really taken over as the go to guy on this team.

Players on both sides visibly shaken and upset. Tons of props to the TWolves fans who gave him a massive ovation when he was carted off.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #92
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Caris LeVert just took a nasty fall that will in all likelihood end his season, if not career. Horrible as there was only 3 seconds left in the half. Looked similar to what happened to the kid at Louisville a few years back.

It is a real shame as he had really taken over as the go to guy on this team.

Players on both sides visibly shaken and upset. Tons of props to the TWolves fans who gave him a massive ovation when he was carted off.

If you did not see it, I suggest you keep it that way.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #93
Groundhog
Coordinator

Oh god. Compound fracture of the leg? I have no intention of googling it, but at least if that's what it was there's a good chance he comes back 100% after 12 or so months.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #94
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you did not see it, I suggest you keep it that way.

Ain't gotta tell me twice.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #95
bhlloy
Coordinator

The Nets are completely cursed at this point
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:50 AM   #96
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Shit, I was totally on board LeVert and his start this year; tried to acquire him in all of my fantasy leagues. Terrible news.

In other "cursed" news, the Clippers ALMOST managed to blow an opportunity to beat the Warriors (without Curry) at home, inexplicably letting a nine point lead evaporate in three minutes. I would imagine the only people more frustrated than me wondering how the hell Klay Thompson is allowed to get free for threes would be Warriors fans wondering how the hell LouWill is allowed to take the ball to the hoop so easily. Whatever. I'll take the win.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #97
Atocep
Coordinator

Dislocated foot. No surgery needed.

That's absolutely incredible after seeing the video.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #98
bhlloy
Coordinator

While I’m putting on my shocked face that it didn’t work out, if Melo can’t thrive in the Rockets scheme, is his career over?

EDIT - I guess thrive isn’t the right word because I don’t think that ever had a chance of happening in 2018, but at least be a reasonably productive bench player.

Last edited by bhlloy : 11-16-2018 at 07:57 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #99
miami_fan
Coordinator

I would say that his career is over. I can't see what role Melo can play for a team. Defense, passing and rebounding are not even worthy of discussion at this point. He is only getting about 14% of his two point attempts at the rim, so no layups. If he can't catch and shoot at a high level, I am not sure why you would have him on the team. That being said, I am patiently waiting for the Heat to sign him.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #100
miami_fan
Coordinator

Markelle Fultz of Philadelphia 76ers to see shoulder specialist