Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 AM   #1
RendeR
Coordinator

Anyone watching the AAF?

I've been intrigued by the league. Taken a fancy to both Orlando and San Diego. I love Orlando's style of play and The Fleet are a reminder of my Naval days and I really do like the uniforms.

As for the overall quality, its rough. Given time I think things will develop but its hard to watch at times.

Thoughts?

RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I've been intrigued by the league. Taken a fancy to both Orlando and San Diego. I love Orlando's style of play and The Fleet are a reminder of my Naval days and I really do like the uniforms.

As for the overall quality, its rough. Given time I think things will develop but its hard to watch at times.

Thoughts?

Nope . By this time of the year I am burned out on sports and my wife's patience:-)
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
Bobble
College Prospect

I'm "trying to". By that I mean I'd like to regularly watch but it's not part of my routine yet and I keep forgetting to search out when it's on.

Yeah, it's certainly AAA-level play. I was watching Logan Woodside, I think, and he was lobbing passed in there that would NEVER be complete in the NFL. Still, it's more football at a time of year where there isn't much else on.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah its a step down from the NFL, but its still football I guess. Glad it gives some "lesser lights" the chance to play. I'm paying attention to it mostly because the backup QB on the San Diego squad is former Coastal Carolina QB Alex Ross. Hope he gets a chance to play a little. SD has already benched their first starting QB and his replacement not looking that much better so far, and the O-lines on most teams have looked very vulnerable. See if you can find the pass the SD QB threw when he was in danger of getting sacked, pretty funny.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

League is already in need of a cash bail out. Will be interesting to see if it makes it through the opening season.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
lungs
Pro Rookie

If anybody can pull it off financially, the need for a developmental/second chance league is there. Given some of the QB play, perhaps a higher developmental ceiling on their QBs should be sought. But Spurrier seems to be putting together an offense down in Orlando. Receiver drops seem to be pretty bad too, which isn't helping the QB play out. Christian Hackenberg was an interesting name coming into it, but he's shown nothing so far (and most aren't surprised!). But I think the point of this league can be to prove that guys like Christian Hackenberg suck and maybe guys like Charles Johnson need another shot at the next level. Then maybe a guy like Garrett Gilbert plays himself into a solid backup job or we get some better developed backup QBs in the NFL.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Do they stream online anywhere for free? I generally watch football only if it's over the air or streaming.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #8
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I've been relatively impressed by the level of play in the highlights I have watched, I hope they hold on. The NFL could really use a minor league to give bottom roster guys playing time, especially if they want to eventually eliminate most of the preseason.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I've been watching. I like it. It's not NFL but that is expected. It has been very hit or miss in terms of quality. The Orlando/San Antonio game this past weekend was entertaining but that first game of the weekend was dreadful.

QB play has not been very good. Good lord does Hackenberg suck.

Offensive line play has led to the poor QB play, good thing they limit rushers.

The receivers have had mixed results.

Can't tell if there has been good defensive line play or just bad offensive line play.

Okay with the start at the 25 approach for this league and the 4th and 12 "onside kick" but not for NFL.

Okay with the mandatory 2 point conversion for this league but also not for NFL.

The limit on rushers took a few to get used to but with the offensive line issues that is probably a good thing.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
League is already in need of a cash bail out. Will be interesting to see if it makes it through the opening season.

Apparently they weren't even going to make payroll without the bailout. After 2 weeks. I guess they're not making money from all the TV deals

The production looks good but there's no financial plan.

Last edited by molson : 02-19-2019 at 05:46 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola:

I guess they don't have away uniforms as that Atlanta/San Diego game was amusing because both teams seemed to be wearing the same color. That had to be rough on the quarterbacks.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This is starting to sounds like the football version of MoviePass.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

-Hey guys let's start a league with no teams in the northeast

-Hold my beer!
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And yeah wtf those teams both had almost identical uniforms.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:16 PM   #15
FBPro
College Starter

Yeah, I've watched parts of 4 or 5 games.....some pretty good and entertaining some not so much.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
This is starting to sounds like the football version of MoviePass.

Let's be real here for a second: it ALWAYS sounded like the football version of MoviePass.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #17
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
It's a lot better than 2001 XFL... that was atrocious. Maybe not on the level of the World League way back in the 1990s.

I always wondered why there hasn't been a farm system in the NFL. (Yeah, yeah, I know, college football and what not.) Especially with quarterbacks. A team like Buffalo could send a guy like Nathan Peterman down to AAA to get a bunch of reps, and maybe he wouldn't suck as much in the big show.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

I gave one or two games a peek the first weekend, but was out of town last weekend.* I may try to put it on in the background some this weekend. Though...if it's on at the same time as the Overwatch League...I'll probably just stream that instead. So, yeah. (OWL on Twitch gives a token per map towards league skins, so hey why not.)

* Got to go to the NW/Purdue women's game Sunday night, which was absolutely more exciting than watching the AAF would have been.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:59 PM   #19
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think for stuff like this to work it needs to have direct investment from the parent league and not be independent.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:14 AM   #20
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think for stuff like this to work it needs to have direct investment from the parent league and not be independent.

I think in time, this is the objective. To ge the NFL to see it as a viable AAA system and perhaps begin allocating "prep" players to the league as needed.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #21
Bobble
College Prospect

Good Lord, Hackenberg sucks.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #22
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I think in time, this is the objective. To ge the NFL to see it as a viable AAA system and perhaps begin allocating "prep" players to the league as needed.

Would this be something that would be a replacement for college football?

Football does not strike me as a sport where a AAA system would work. Seems like the last thing teams want for any of their assigned players to do is play college football and then play extra football outside of the parent's team 16 game regular season.

What am I missing?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #23
Bobble
College Prospect

I think it could be a league for further development of players -- especially quarterbacks, as well as a chance to get an extended look at guys -- particularly guys who didn't get a lot of reps in college and/or didn't get reps against top competition.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #24
lungs
Pro Rookie

Pretty sure Steve Mariucci has loved every play call in this Orlando-Memphis game.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:46 PM   #25
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

How long has Memphis had Mettenberger? I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't play over Hackenberg from the get go, Hackenberg is absolutely one of the worst QBs I've ever seen. He's been absolutely awful in a league full of nobodies, and shouldn't see an NFL roster ever again IMO. I question the brainpower of any NFL team who has him around for any reason next season.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 02-23-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #26
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yeah its a step down from the NFL, but its still football I guess. Glad it gives some "lesser lights" the chance to play. I'm paying attention to it mostly because the backup QB on the San Diego squad is former Coastal Carolina QB Alex Ross. Hope he gets a chance to play a little. SD has already benched their first starting QB and his replacement not looking that much better so far, and the O-lines on most teams have looked very vulnerable. See if you can find the pass the SD QB threw when he was in danger of getting sacked, pretty funny.

The SD QB got hurt in the game today and Alex Ross replaced him-threw a TD on his second pass. Then threw an INT in his next series but we won't talk about that.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
How long has Memphis had Mettenberger?

Been there the whole time apparently. Was #3 on the depth chart until the backup got hurt.

AAF: Zach Mettenberger told he was 'outperformed' at training camp
Old 03-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #28
lungs
Pro Rookie

With the locker room access at halftime, have they caught Mike Singeltary dropping his pants yet?
Old 03-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #29
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Johnny Manziel has signed with the AAF
Old 03-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #30
Galaril
Pro Starter

I completely forgot about this league. I guess that is bad that I have heard no one anywhere mention it. What network are the games even on?
Old 03-16-2019, 11:59 PM   #31
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I completely forgot about this league. I guess that is bad that I have heard no one anywhere mention it. What network are the games even on?

I can usually find them officially streaming online on Youtube.

I usually have the games on in the background on my Saturdays and Sundays.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-17-2019 at 12:00 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #32
lungs
Pro Rookie

Spurrier's team has been somewhat entertaining to watch. I see they lost tonight, I missed it. Most of the other games have been background noise. Johnny Manziel would definitely get me to actively tune in.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:30 AM   #33
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

NFL Network, CBS Sports network and Turner I believe.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #34
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Spurrier's team has been somewhat entertaining to watch. I see they lost tonight, I missed it. Most of the other games have been background noise. Johnny Manziel would definitely get me to actively tune in.

Didn't just lose, lost in a pretty bizarre sequence

45 seconds left down by 5 or 6 in their own half, Gilbert buys some time and finds a guy wide open downfield for a 30 yard gain.
WR inexplicably doesn't go out of bounds but stays in and gets tackled, clock running. Takes way too long to spike the ball.
Next play inbound completion again, takes way too much time to get to the line again, false start penalty, 10 second run off, game over.

Highly polished multi billion dollar league it is not, but I find it entertaining whenever I run across a game to watch. Also is Rick Neuheisel really the best head coaching talent we could find for one of these teams? I guess any good coach who isn't actively coaching is making 5x the salary doing color commentary somewhere.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Also is Rick Neuheisel really the best head coaching talent we could find for one of these teams?

Riley, Singletary, Erickson.

I mean, the pickings were clearly incredibly slim.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #36
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Riley, Singletary, Erickson.

I mean, the pickings were clearly incredibly slim.

It felt like they were going for "celebrity coaches" to increase the draw. I don't know if that helps or hurts the league...
Old 03-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #37
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Right now I just wish AAF had a regional team I could root for, someone in the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #38
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Right now I have to root for San Antonio because of Toledo alum Logan Woodside
Old 03-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #39
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Haters gonna hate, but I for one never doubted Manziel was an AAF-level talent.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #40
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Didn't just lose, lost in a pretty bizarre sequence

45 seconds left down by 5 or 6 in their own half, Gilbert buys some time and finds a guy wide open downfield for a 30 yard gain.
WR inexplicably doesn't go out of bounds but stays in and gets tackled, clock running. Takes way too long to spike the ball.
Next play inbound completion again, takes way too much time to get to the line again, false start penalty, 10 second run off, game over.

Highly polished multi billion dollar league it is not, but I find it entertaining whenever I run across a game to watch. Also is Rick Neuheisel really the best head coaching talent we could find for one of these teams? I guess any good coach who isn't actively coaching is making 5x the salary doing color commentary somewhere.

I was curious about that false start penalty after seeing it today. Looked like the lineman was bumped by the defensive player that was trying to get back onside. Shouldn't that have been a defensive penalty?
Old 03-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #41
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Right now I just wish AAF had a regional team I could root for, someone in the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area.

Same. I end up rooting for teams with former Ohio State players.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:38 PM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah they made strange choices for where they put teams which doesn't help interest, I think. Or they should've gone the Arena league route (when it first started) and simply had teams without cities. I don't think the tv markets matter much with football, so you could've sold out a stadium in a lot of cities besides the ones they went to.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #43
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
NFL Network, CBS Sports network and Turner I believe.

Thanks. I don't have any of those anymore.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Yeah they made strange choices for where they put teams which doesn't help interest, I think. Or they should've gone the Arena league route (when it first started) and simply had teams without cities. I don't think the tv markets matter much with football, so you could've sold out a stadium in a lot of cities besides the ones they went to.

Most I've seen felt like the choices were solid. They avoided NFL markets, they went to some football hotbeds, they avoided seasonal weather issues.

And at least one factor that we don't know is what stadiums were / weren't willing to work with them (all 8 teams are playing in college stadiums).
Old 03-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Most I've seen felt like the choices were solid. They avoided NFL markets, they went to some football hotbeds, they avoided seasonal weather issues.

And at least one factor that we don't know is what stadiums were / weren't willing to work with them (all 8 teams are playing in college stadiums).

Yeah that makes sense.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #46
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Haters gonna hate, but I for one never doubted Manziel was an AAF-level talent.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well color me shocked

AAF in jeopardy of folding, says majority owner
Old 03-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #48
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Shit, we gave him Manziel and Hackenberg, and now he wants Peterman too?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #49
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That's unpossible!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #50
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Shocking, lol.