Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
Bad-example
College Starter

Richard Pryor Votes From Beyond The Grave

An absentee ballot was mailed with what may have been a rare stamp worth at least $200,000 — the famous Inverted Jenny — but the envelope is in a box that by law can't be opened.

Broward County Commissioner John Rodstrom discovered the stamp while reviewing absentee ballots. There was no name on the envelope, so the vote didn't count.

What looked like a small stamp collection on one envelope caught Rodstrom's eye about 8 p.m. Tuesday. At least one was from 1936, Rodstrom said. Then he noticed one had an upside-down World War I-era airplane — the hallmark of an Inverted Jenny.

"I was a stamp collector when I was little," Rodstrom told The Miami Herald. "I recognized it."

Rodstrom discussed the stamp with the other members of the canvassing board, and a stamp-collecting Broward County sheriff's deputy overheard them talking about the possible Jenny.

He said the stamp would be very valuable if it was real. But it was too late.

"By that time we had already sealed the box. And once you seal the box, under the election law you can't unseal it," Beller said.

Elections officials will retain the ballot for 22 months, Jenny Nash, a spokeswoman for the Florida secretary of state's office, told The Associated Press. After that, any action is up to the county elections supervisor.

The 24-cent Jenny stamps were printed in 1918, said Maynard Guss, president of the Sunrise Stamp Club. Stamp sheets were run through presses twice to process all the colors, and on one pass, four Jenny sheets went through backward, Guss said. Inspectors caught the errors on three sheets and destroyed them, but somehow, a sheet of 100 stamps got through.

Stamp collectors have spent 88 years trying to find them all.

But this Jenny, if real, might not be as valuable as it could have been. When the absentee ballot was mailed the stamp was canceled, reducing its value, Rodstrom said.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...a113634S28.DTL

Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Baffling story. I want them to open the ballot so we can see if he voted none of the above.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 11-11-2006 at 04:55 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
Lorena
Unregistered

I give this story a stamp of approval.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote