Old 04-13-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

PureSim 2004 Announced...

Let's try this again.

PureSim 2004 Revealed!
Comments? Send feedback to [email protected]

Going solo again

Well, after months of stealth development, I have a few announcements to make. First of all, I have decided to part ways with .400 Software Studios. With a full time job and other responsibilities I just felt like I could not contribute to .400 at the level they deserved. I'd like to thank all at .400 and especially Joe Stallings (who was a huge creative influence on PureSim 2004). I am lucky to have learned from the .400 crew and appreciated their patience. This is a lifestyle decision.

PureSim 2004 Release Imminent - Message Board Re-Opened!

Visit the message board today. Even more exciting is some news I have been keeping super-quiet in order to avoid over-hype. PureSim 2004 is now in beta and will be released within the next 2-4 weeks! If you are wondering about what new features and enhancements have been added, I have enumerated them below. (Note: PureSim 2004 is 100% compatible with all earlier versions of PureSim, so you can upgrade your existing associations.)
Back to the old ways...

I always enjoyed the subscription and open betas, so if you are interested in participating in a beta test of PureSim 2004 then please drop me a note. A stable game is my number one priority and you guys can help! Features and Screen Shots
  • New User Interface PureSim is easier and more appealing to navigate than ever....RIP PureSim "Classic Blue" interface scheme
  • Speed Improvements! Simulation time has been improved by approximately 20% over previous versions! (Even more dramatic speed improvements are possible if playing the new "reduced roster" mode)
  • Pick up and Play! - Reduced Roster Mode New optional setting which allows PureSim to be played with a 35 man roster (10 reserves) minor leagues are not simmed and minor league rosters need not be juggled. This mode can be extremely useful to those of you that like to use PureSim to play in historical mode with real major league players (using the Lahman 5.1 database) and prefer to simply manage the majors.
  • Lahman 5.1 Database Support PureSim is now fully compatible with the most recent (as of April 2004) version of the popular Sean Lahman database. This database allows you to do a fantasy draft with players from any major league season since 1871 or Do a Replay, which will automatically build correct rosters, and league configurations for any year since 1900!
  • Improved Lahman Import Modeling Better algorithms for importing "real" players and modeling their career trajectories as they age in PureSim. PureSim now does a more detailed analysis of player's careers as it builds the player's potential ratings model.
  • Veteran Roster Rules Due to a collective bargaining agreement new restrictions on associations are now in place: Once a player has appeared on a major league roster in 5 different seasons, he is officially a VETERAN, what this means is he may NOT be demoted to the minor league roster unless the major league roster is already full of veterans. In other words, you can't demote a veteran player if there is a "non-veteran" still active on the major league roster. This rule adds a whole new dimension to making roster moves in PureSim and also addresses the issue where sometimes veteran players would bounce around in the minors late in their careers.
  • Brand new Game Cast Totally revamped the look and feel of the Game Cast Screen
  • Association Home Screen New for 2004, The Association Home screen is the central screen from which you navigate your association. Dynamically updating stats panes, a scrolling Ticker, and other information is constantly updated while on this screen.
  • Customizable Financial System By default PureSim now uses dollars($) instead of the traditional points system, and inflates the salary totals appropriately. This can be tweaked in the PureSim.xml file to control both the size of salaries and/or whether or not to show the game's currency as $. This will allow PureSim "purists" to play the game as they always as well as playing the game with $ and modern-era salaries. Note: associations upgraded from earlier versions of PureSim will automatically use points.
  • Player Performance Charts New feature available from player card gives a graphical representation of player performance in key statistical categories over his career
  • Speed Improvements! Significant improvements to off season processing speed
  • Streamlined Game Flow By popular demand, the game flow has been streamlined. First, I removed the scouting component (and associated ratings masking / fog of war). Note, while ratings are a good indicator of a player's value the engine is very dynamic, so don't expect ratings to correlate to perfectly predictable stats! (Another note: If you are upgrading from a previous version of PureSim the scout feature will operate as it did in the past for your old associations), next I removed the player development spending dialog, also removed the hiring/firing manager aspect of the sim, lastly the spring training playing time screen was removed.
  • PSPN Sports Network Ticker Dynamic stats leader board updated and displayed as you auto-play games, fully hyper linked as well
  • NEW GM AI New computer GM AI responds more dynamically over time based on player's on field statistical performance (as well as considering player ratings)
  • College Some fictional players are flagged as attended college, the college attended is now denoted on their player card. (Note: All 750+ possible colleges are editable and their frequency of occurance is adjustable in the PureSim.xml file). Current frequency distribution is based on Major League History
  • PSPN Story - Top Colleges New PSPN Story which breaks down the colleges producing the most players
  • Improved Usability Added handy right-click menu on player links that allows single click access to many screens and functions that previously required a visit to the player card. No more click fests for demoting/promoting, setting player usage hints etc...
  • Improved Usability User no longer has to have a valid roster when leaving the modify roster or team pages (Until a game is about to be played, at which time the user will be directed to the modify roster screen and must make the corrections required to make the roster valid)
  • Lock Player on Roster New player usage setting forces the AI to keep a player at a certain playlevel (he won't be promoted/demoted). Useful when playing an association via unattended autoplay mode.
  • Add-Ins for .NET Added support writing AddIns using the .NET Framework (I will release some samples periodically over the summer)
  • Add-Ins available everywhere! You can now access addins from any screen and show them modally. So you can pull up any add-in without having to leave the screen you are on
  • **Interface TWEAK Added new quick summary information on player card under player's picture (AVG HR RBI for hitters and ERA W L for pitchers)
  • **Interface TWEAK Added new "Fast Sim" option on the unattended auto play dialog. This mode will not display standings, store game logs or publish to PSPN. It can be useful if you are trying to sim a number of seasons quickly.
  • **Interface TWEAK PSPN Game Cast now shows defensive player's Range, Hands and Arm in a tool tip (Hover the mouse over the player to get extended information)
  • **Interface TWEAK Added new "use Avg Park" option on the unattended auto play dialog. This can be useful when testing / tweaking stats and settings, it forces all games to be played in a ball park with avg dimensions.
  • **Interface TWEAK Added new "Disable Roster moves" option on the unattended auto play dialog.
  • **Interface TWEAK Added option on the trade offer dialog to inform the AI that you do not want to be bugged with another trade offer during the current auto play session
  • **Interface TWEAK Now denoting on the player card if he a player is in the hall of fame
  • **Interface TWEAK Added AB to the batter grid on the modify roster page
  • **Engine TWEAK Reduced the amt of errors by Outfielders
  • **Game TWEAK Removed 30, 45 and 90 Day Disabled list options. There is now only a 15 and 60 day DL option
  • **Interface TWEAK Now displaying pitch count (under the pitcher's name) on the in-game lineup change dialog
  • **Interface TWEAK Various small tweaks to the modify roster page (added EYE to batter grid etc...)
  • **FIX Fixed bug where firing the manager could result in zeroing other manager's salaries.
  • **FIX Fixed some bugs that could attribute the decision to the wrong pitcher
  • **FIX Fixed rare "Assertion Failed" bug when auto-playing games

Thanks for your interest in PureSim.

Shaun Sullivan
Developer, PureSim Baseball
http://www.puresim.com

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
Subby
lolzcat

I can really see Joe Stallings' influence on that user interface.

He does great work in that area...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
LivnLegend
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby

:guffaw:
LivnLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't want to speak for Joe, but I think he appreciates the kind words.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

lol
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

hee hee
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:23 PM   #7
Scholes
High School Varsity

I was going to comment on how nice this looked in the last thread, but I suppose I'll do it here. I really liked the news feature in the last version, and it looks like this version is even better in that regard. I hope the importing of past seasons is a little smoother/more realistic, if so this could be a good one.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:24 PM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Let's try this again = Let's take it from the Topps?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Improved Usability Added handy right-click menu on player links that allows single click access to many screens and functions that previously required a visit to the player card. No more click fests for demoting/promoting, setting player usage hints etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog on 2/19/04
Left-clicking on a player takes you to his player card, of course, but have right-clicking give the gamer a windows-style drop-down menu with each of the following options:
  • cut
  • renegotiate
  • make inactive
  • make active (either this or "make inactive" would be greyed out of course)
  • place on IR (for football, disabled list for baseball, whatever it is called for basketball if there is such a thing)
  • set as starter (this might have to be limited to making him a starter at his primary position..but it would help a lot in any game. He becomes the starter, and whoever was listed as starter becomes the #1 backup, and everyone else drops down a slot on the depth chart if necessary)
Each of the drop-downs would either perform the function discussed, or (in the case of renegotiation, for example) take you to the screen that you need to perform that function.

Voila. There you have it. The gamer could then make the vast majority of the decisions that he needs to make from one place.

Looks like SOMEBODY is listening!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:26 PM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I demand that this thread be locked.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #11
KWhit
Coordinator

Oh, cool! It's going to have real teams and players!

Sorry.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #12
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, I must say that is one of the best looking UI's I have ever seen. Also, SkyDog has a valid point. I hope a demo will be avaliable.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:29 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This looks like this will be the first version of PureSim that I give a whirl
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:29 PM   #14
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Speed Improvements! Simulation time has been improved by approximately 20% over previous versions! (Even more dramatic speed improvements are possible if playing the new "reduced roster" mode)
I haven't played 2003 on my newer, faster machine. The only deal-breaker for me with PureSim has always been sim speed. I suspect with the faster CPU combined with faster sim times in this version, I might end up finding this version playable.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:30 PM   #15
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Oh, cool! It's going to have real teams and players!

Sorry.

Don't be sorry. In fact, I nominate this as funniest flippant/insensitive comment about "the incident"
Old 04-13-2004, 12:31 PM   #16
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

It does look nice. I've always bought OOTP in the past, but now that I have a brand new machine, it might be worth it to buy PureSim even with the longer load times.

Nice job, Shaun.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:36 PM   #17
condors
College Starter

this is one i am looking forward to
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:48 PM   #18
StormcloudCreations
Uniter of Men

It does look nice (eek, looks like if a Coliseum 2 does come out, i'll have to really get to work on the interface graphics), but didn't Shaun just join .400 not too long ago (a few months maybe)? And then leaves suddenly again? It just seems a bit...odd, IMHO anyway.

I sense (though I could be wrong, it's happened once or twice ) that there's more to this story than we'll know.
StormcloudCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:07 PM   #19
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Is he going to hold us in suspense in terms of a release date like .400?? Come on, you are better than that!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:11 PM   #20
wig
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby

Sure can and I can see Websters or Dictionary.com or whatever language company he jacked all those words and text from. Can anyone say licensing infringement? Scarrrrrryyyyyyy.......... Nothing like posting screen shots of text and stuff for a product you are going to be selling huh? Nice way to spell "Red Sox".. I mean how good do you have to be at word and letter design, when you just steal stuff from the web?

But it does look nice, I will give you that.

Last edited by wig : 04-13-2004 at 01:12 PM.
wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:11 PM   #21
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaystl03
Is he going to hold us in suspense in terms of a release date like .400?? Come on, you are better than that!

Threadjack alert !

mtaystl03, you are needed here :
http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=24348

[/threadjack]
Old 04-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormcloudCreations
It does look nice (eek, looks like if a Coliseum 2 does come out, i'll have to really get to work on the interface graphics), but didn't Shaun just join .400 not too long ago (a few months maybe)? And then leaves suddenly again? It just seems a bit...odd, IMHO anyway.

I sense (though I could be wrong, it's happened once or twice ) that there's more to this story than we'll know.

The whole, ".400 Software Studios" problems seem more than odd to me... imo.

Markus leaves, TPF release problems, Shaun leaves... just to name a few. It seems to me this company makes the headlines way to much.

I have nothing against anyone at team .400, but I have to scratch my head wondering why there is so many problems associated with the company??

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #23
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormcloudCreations

Derek: I'm thinking there's nothing really to it. From what I understand, Joe wants full time designers and full time workers, and Shaun already has a career, you notice he stated quite up front that because of his "Real World" Job that he couldn't live up to the needs of .400.

Quote:
First of all, I have decided to part ways with .400 Software Studios. With a full time job and other responsibilities I just felt like I could not contribute to .400 at the level they deserved. I'd like to thank all at .400 and especially Joe Stallings (who was a huge creative influence on PureSim 2004). I am lucky to have learned from the .400 crew and appreciated their patience. This is a lifestyle decision.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:13 PM   #24
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wig
? Nice way to spell "Red Sox"..

Shouldn't that be "Red Socks" by the way ?

Or to combine 2 explosive threads into 1, "black socks ?"

Old 04-13-2004, 01:22 PM   #25
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wig
But it does look nice, I will give you that.
Wig, I'm going to have to ask you to stop using the thumbs-up icon. It's been creeping me out ever since someone pointed out that it looks like a penis nailed to a fence.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:50 PM   #26
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
It does look nice. I've always bought OOTP in the past, but now that I have a brand new machine, it might be worth it to buy PureSim even with the longer load times.

Nice job, Shaun.

I concur with Cam... always feels weird.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:38 PM   #27
sabotai
General Manager

As I said in "the other thread", I always enjoyed Puresim more than OOTP. Probably because I haven't been in any OOTP online leagues (I will with OOTP6) and have always just played single-player. Puresim's single-player just seemed tighter than OOTP's and its stats seemed more realistic. I've really liked the first 2 versions and am looking forward to the 2004 version.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #28
spleen1015
Coordinator

I could never get passed the Franchise Points. I am looking forward to this version as well.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:41 PM   #29
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
As I said in "the other thread", I always enjoyed Puresim more than OOTP. Probably because I haven't been in any OOTP online leagues (I will with OOTP6) and have always just played single-player. Puresim's single-player just seemed tighter than OOTP's and its stats seemed more realistic. I've really liked the first 2 versions and am looking forward to the 2004 version.

Interesting. This post just made me bookmark the Puresim site.

I couldn't get into the franchise points like some others have said, but they're gone now.

Todd
Old 04-13-2004, 03:05 PM   #30
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Wig, I'm going to have to ask you to stop using the thumbs-up icon. It's been creeping me out ever since someone pointed out that it looks like a penis nailed to a fence.
Damn if it doesn't. Can't stop chuckling now.

oh, almost forgot

Last edited by Bonegavel : 04-13-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:17 PM   #31
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I have always played Puresim more than OOTP (although I really do like OOTP5 quite a bit). I think though this is a crucial year for the program since if Markus finally has the stat thing down, the thing that always made Puresim stronger imo, then the lack of other features for Puresim might put it really far behind which is too bad because Shaun's a great programmer and an even better guy who deserves some real success for all the great work he's done.

Regardless I agree with all those who say that Shaun simply didn't fit the mold of a .400 sports programmer. He has another job which took priority and so .400 sports wasn't a good fit for him. Seems less of a story here then when Markus left.

But of course I'm a bit of a Puresim partisian so I'm admittedly biased here.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 04:01 PM   #32
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
Damn if it doesn't. Can't stop chuckling now.

oh, almost forgot

- on Viagra

- NOT on Viagra
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:03 PM   #33
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I think it's kinda funny that he jumps into .400, gets all this help from Joe creating a nice UI, and then jumps out just weeks before releasing his new version.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #34
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota
I think it's kinda funny that he jumps into .400, gets all this help from Joe creating a nice UI, and then jumps out just weeks before releasing his new version.

Come on Mota, you don't know the details of the split, and you shouldn't make inflammatory comments when you have no idea of what agreeements were made. It takes a lot to get me mad, but your implication is kind of insulting.

Shaun
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:21 PM   #35
Bosco
H.S. Freshman Team

I've never really been satisfied with a .400 offering so I think I'll be giving PureSim a try.
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:25 PM   #36
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
Come on Mota, you don't know the details of the split, and you shouldn't make inflammatory comments when you have no idea of what agreeements were made. It takes a lot to get me mad, but your implication is kind of insulting.

Shaun

Well all he said is it is kinda funny and I also find it hilarious.
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:29 PM   #37
Franklinnoble
Banned

OK... WTF? Why the coordinated smear campaign against .400 and PureSim all of a sudden? Did I miss the memo?
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:35 PM   #38
nfg22
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
OK... WTF? Why the coordinated smear campaign against .400 and PureSim all of a sudden? Did I miss the memo?

I dunno Im just messin, I never tried the game, Although from the story I seen it does look funny then again life can get pretty hectic at bad times and make it look like your intentions were corrupt
nfg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:37 PM   #39
Bosco
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

I bought a few .400 games and have been disappointed with them and now that PureSim isn't affiliated with them I might give it a try, that's all I'm saying.
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:54 PM   #40
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Talking

Quote:

Shaun

Sorry if it sounds insulting Shaun... I have to say that the game does look very good, and I'm very tempted on picking this up (even though I already preordered OOTP). But my comment was just a theory, and definitely an uneducated one since I don't know the real story (as you pointed out). If I thought you were a UI thief and trying to rip off .400 I would have come off a lot stronger than that. I just thought it sounded kinda funny.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:01 PM   #41
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

np

Oh, no problem Mota. I was a little too testy in that reply anyway, you're conclusion is probably one I would have considered "in your shoes" as well.

Shaun
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:19 PM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, no problem Mota. I was a little too testy in that reply anyway, you're conclusion is probably one I would have considered "in your shoes" as well.

Shaun

I thought the same thing. Glad I'm wrong as well.

I knew I should have went to work!

Todd
Old 04-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #43
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Congrats, Shaun! The game looks great! I always have to give kudos to a developer that actually COMPLETES his baseball sim .

Much luck with the game and your continued success

-Craig
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:26 PM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Oh what Franchise Baseball could have been!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 PM   #45
hukarez
College Starter

I'm having deja vu again...

I could've sworn I've asked about PureSim before, on another board or thread...but perhaps my memory's not quite as it used to be. I've never really played a PureSim game, though I've downloaded the demo. The load times and speed was a bit of a bummer for me, as the machine I was running it on died.

Still; how's the play by play in PureSim like? I'm quite curious as to how interactive it is. I usually get fidgety when I play text sim games. Click/Scroll-happy, so to speak, if that makes any sense!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:37 PM   #46
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Oh what Franchise Baseball could have been!

Hehe - looking back at it now, it would have been a niche within a niche, as it's flexibility would have been questionable. For reasons beyond me (), not everyone wants to play a straight-up sim of current MLB.

Fortunately, Markus has given me the opportunity to incorporate much of what FB was going to be into the current OOTP framework, and it's been a heck of a lot of fun doing it .

-Craig
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:41 PM   #47
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
how's the play by play in PureSim like? I'm quite curious as to how interactive it is.

The latest version of Puresim had limited manager controls (as it is really a GM game), but the play-by-play is pretty immersive (and this is coming from someone who is not much of a baseball fan). The indicator on where the ball was hit was a very simple, yet great idea.

Last edited by sabotai : 04-13-2004 at 09:42 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:37 PM   #48
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Fortunately, Markus has given me the opportunity to incorporate much of what FB was going to be into the current OOTP framework, and it's been a heck of a lot of fun doing it .

I'm very curious if this is just a "one time thing" with OOTP, or if you'll be there for future releases? To me, it sounds like you've had a very positive influence on the game which I hope to see continue.
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote