Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-17-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Alright, Here we go Boyz, The Fort Triumph Thread

Ok, started playing Fort Triumph (thanks to a fellow FOFCER!)

The premise is X-Com meets Dungeons and Dragons and Fire Emblem

God, this game is not just tongue in cheek, it's several tongues in cheek.

I'm only a couple battles in, but here's some thoughts.

The first battle was surprisingly difficult, you only have three heroes (a Paladin, a Rogue, and a Sorceress), and you have to take down about 2-3x that number of Goblins. After that, I freed the fourth character

The game is really like X-Com, in that it's very grid focused and tactical concerns will be key (for example, a goblin was hiding behind a tree, my Sorceress used a whirlwind to knockdown the tree on said goblin). melee characters can also kick someone a couple squares (which is useful for freeing up your casters, or to kick someone into an obstacle for damage and stuns)

Characters with Ranged attacks can overwatch like X-Com, while Melee Characters can brace, and take half damage from attacks. Since you have 3 AP, and most attacks take two AP, you can move a small distance and hit someone. Flanking is important.

Apparently we will be recruiting a whole bunch of characters (and yes, the Fire Emblem part is one of the options is PERMADEATH, meaning if your characters die in battle, they die for good. Which could really suck if they've levelled up several times (more stats, more abilities etcetera)

But yeah, the game doesn't take it self too seriously. For winning one of the early battles, we get a chest full of beets, which we can eat for XP, or turn into money.. (yes.. BEETCOINS!) . That was ALMOST a pun too far for me.

Almost.

SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
Thomkal
Head Coach

Oof at the beets pun Foz. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. One of my my regular You Tubers, Bumpy McSquigums, (yeah I know strange name) has started a play through of the game-haven't watched it yet, but I'm certainly curious about the game:

Let's Play Fort Triumph - Part 1 - XCOM HOMM Hybrid YES! - YouTube
Old 04-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hey, I didn't make the beetcoins pun, the game did.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:24 AM   #4
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for starting this thread, SirFozzie! Definitely a game on my radar. It's obviously way too soon now, but one of my hopes is to find a good strategic turn-based game that has true replayability. By that, I always use the example of the CIV games. With very few exceptions, the beginning of every CIV game becomes "optimized" to the point that you build the same sequence of improvements (whether militarily or buildings). It's not until the midgame that things tend to branch off. After playing it a number of times, I start to lose interest in beginning another one. I would love to find one to keep me hooked (and on my toes) from Turn 1. Maybe once you've gone thru the campaign, you can gauge if this game meets that criteria.

Last edited by tyketime : 04-18-2020 at 07:25 AM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yogscast play some Fort Triumph too:

UNLEASH THE GOBLINS | Fort Triumph - YouTube
Old 04-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Fun little game, played all morning and while I was not a huge HOMM fan, I don't mind the similar layout when coupled with the X-Com like combat. You can generate some fun interactions in battle, pulling enemies into attack zones for example. I also like the skill tree's, not overly deep but it gives you some nice variety.

Not sure I am really sold on the need to rebuild your infrastructure going from act to act and I wish the main story was a little less linear, though you can ignore it for as long as you like exploring.

definitely scratches the X-Com itch and very well done overall.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #7
Edward64
Head Coach

So how's it going with this game. Still holding your interest?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm preferring Chimera Squad to this, it's not bad, but it's definitely a step or two below Chimera Squad.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:11 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

I am still enjoying it, rotating between this POE 2 and TEW 2020
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote