Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2024, 04:14 PM   #2451
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

schools in Raleigh letting out 3 hours early tomorrow. Would rather they just cancel altogether so no one has to go out.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 04:31 PM   #2452
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
They're expecting about 4 inches of rain tomorrow so theyre doing "e-learning" for my daughter's school.

They are tacking one more day onto my son's Christmas break tomorrow because of potential high winds makes it too dangerous for school buses to be on the road
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 07:27 AM   #2453
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So it's literally just raining here... Nothing bad. And the winds are going to get up to maybe 25 mph.

They literally just wasted a day for no reason.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:52 AM   #2454
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
So it's literally just raining here... Nothing bad. And the winds are going to get up to maybe 25 mph.

They literally just wasted a day for no reason.
Really? It has been heavy raining here. My wife said streets where terrible on her ride to work, and my daughter barely got out of her subdivision due to flooding. She may not be able to make it back in after-work. Luckily, I don't have to go anywhere till this afternoon and then I have to drive into Athens to stay the night, but hopefully by then the roads will be clear.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:15 AM   #2455
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Supposed to be 15F here with high chance of precipitation next Monday. Another Texas icepocalypse in the making
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:26 AM   #2456
Edward64
Head Coach

Raining steadily about 30 miles north of Atlanta but we are at high. It's about to dip.

Re: cancelling school. I'm all for it if you live in an area not prepared for bad winter weather. Better safe than sorry, see snowmaggedon when some school buses were stuck. Much better to cancel than to wait and see. And okay if the weather services get it wrong once in a while.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-09-2024 at 09:27 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:19 AM   #2457
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Raining steadily about 30 miles north of Atlanta but we are at high. It's about to dip.

Re: cancelling school. I'm all for it if you live in an area not prepared for bad winter weather. Better safe than sorry, see snowmaggedon when some school buses were stuck. Much better to cancel than to wait and see. And okay if the weather services get it wrong once in a while.

What if the people making the call on what is bad winter weather think Snowmaggedon is light weight because they have just moved from places where that sort of day is just a regular ol' Tuesday in January?

I don't have an issue with cancelling school for bad weather especially with my personal circumstances. I am struggling with canceling school for high winds. I am not saying it is the wrong decision to do so. I am saying that it is a first for me to hear that schools closed because the high winds made it unsafe to have school buses and not have it associated with heavy rains, tornado warnings, hurricanes etc. Add to that the neighboring county choosing to not close schools and yeah questions are being asked.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-09-2024, 10:35 AM   #2458
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
What if the people making the call on what is bad winter weather think Snowmaggedon is light weight because they have just moved from places where that sort of day is just a regular ol' Tuesday in January?

I don't have an issue with cancelling school for bad weather especially with my personal circumstances. I am struggling with canceling school for high winds. I am not saying it is the wrong decision to do so. I am saying that it is a first for me to hear that schools closed because the high winds made it unsafe to have school buses and not have it associated with heavy rains, tornado warnings, hurricanes etc. Add to that the neighboring county choosing to not close schools and yeah questions are being asked.

For GA closings, it's not just winds ...

Quote:
Severe Weather Team 2 Meteorologist Brian Monahan says the main impacts will be heavy rain, flooding, and strong wind gusts but the severe weather risk will increase in areas south of Interstate 20.

Ahead of the potential for flooding and severe storms, multiple school districts announced they are either closing or delaying their schedules by two hours.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:36 AM   #2459
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

My main problem is the weather people are too histrionic. They're basically hype men for pending doom. They predicted 2-3 inches of snow last year and the day ended up being sunny and mid-50s. It's like betting on Freddie Freeman to get a hit, 30% of the time you'll look like a genius.
Old 01-09-2024, 11:09 AM   #2460
GrantDawg

This always ends up a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Hype it up and nothing happens you are a fraud. Don't hype it and something terrible happens, you are a fraud.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:29 PM   #2461
Radii
Head Coach

Up here in Fort Wayne we had a bit of snow (though seemingly less than forecast) turned into rain. It was the first time my sister was worried enough to take my car with the snow tires to work, but in the end could have been far worse. There's still this weekend for some potential snow, and early next week we have some highs below 10F, lows below 0.

Last edited by Radii : 01-09-2024 at 01:30 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:43 PM   #2462
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
For GA closings, it's not just winds ...

Yeah, I was only talking about the closings in my area.

Let's be honest though. For most of us, the issue is not coming from some concern about the kids missing a day of school. Our district usually has early release day on the first Wednesday of every month. If they make the next three First Wednesday full school days they will make up the instructional time. The issue is some parents and their employers are missing that free day care that we find out during the pandemic that schools provide. I am so thankful I no longer have to participate in the type of employer/employee conversations that were being had yesterday around 4pm when the word of no school today came out.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:17 PM   #2463
Edward64
Head Coach

My weather app is tells me the low is going to be below freezing for the next 10 days, except for Mon at 33 degrees.

I know that's nothing for some of y'all, but that's pretty cold for me.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:37 PM   #2464
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That kinda feels maybe like a Florida-thing, in terms of the Southeast. Those sorts of folks aren't often hired into decision making positions in the areas I know best.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:55 AM   #2465
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Is there any way we can speed up global warming? It's negative 2 degrees right now for me.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:38 AM   #2466
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

THIS happened in upstate NY today
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:10 AM   #2467
Edward64
Head Coach

I guess we know who won that one.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:17 PM   #2468
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's 26 degrees and feels semi-warm today. Later this week when we hit 55-60, it's going to feel positively tropical.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-21-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 04:24 PM   #2469
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm grateful that after today, we're going to start trending up. I'm tired of the cold.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:56 PM   #2470
miami_fan
Coordinator

I left Tampa on Wednesday and headed to the Northeast. It was in the low 30's degrees when I left and there were the usual guys who migrated from up north wearing shorts and t-shirts around town. I spent a good bit of time traveling around Philly and Dover, DE where temps were in the low 30's on both Thursday and Friday. I did not see one person decked out in their shorts and/or t-shirts. In fact. people were asking me where my winter coats was. I decided to go with the layered method to stay warm on this trip to the cold.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:37 AM   #2471
molson
General Manager

I'm sure I could look up the stats on this, but I just experienced my third earthquake since 2020, after never experiencing (or noticing) one in the previous 14 years since I moved to Boise.

Maybe the Yellowstone Caldera is heating up!

The one just now was minor - 4.9, centered about 50 miles away. I'll never forget the March 2020 one. I'm always too dumb in the moment to recognize what's going on, I'm just - confused.

Last edited by molson : 02-26-2024 at 11:38 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:19 PM   #2472
Ksyrup

I've come close to getting hit by lightning in my car a couple of times, but not this close.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-27-2024, 05:42 PM   #2473
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Record high 94 degrees yesterday. Not cool... hahaha.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:57 AM   #2474
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Yosemite is evacuating all visitors by noon. Crazy snow levels.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:03 PM   #2475
GrantDawg

Tornado touched down in Indian Lake, Ohio and they are reporting it as a mass casualty event. Large trailer park in the area hit, and the reports from scanners are saying lots of people trapped in their homes.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2024, 08:14 PM   #2476
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Tornado touched down in Indian Lake, Ohio and they are reporting it as a mass casualty event. Large trailer park in the area hit, and the reports from scanners are saying lots of people trapped in their homes.

It’s always a trailer park and I do not mean that in any smarmy way. I don’t know what the codes for those places are, nor the foundations of the trailer homes. It’s just always rough hearing about that. I’ve been through hurricanes, tornadoes, wind storms, blizzards, et cetera, but the terror of a tornado ripping into you before you can even think is by far the worst to me.

Bless those folks and you all stay safe out there.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:32 PM   #2477
HerRealName
College Prospect

That Indian Lake region is covered with mobile homes. I have friends with weekend/summer lake homes there and they are all mobile homes. Hopefully a lot of the destroyed homes were empty at the time but it sounds they're also dealing with gas leak fires as well. It's a mess.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 09:22 PM   #2478
Ksyrup

We just got issued a tornado watch until 4am. My daughter's school delayed releasing kids this afternoon due to a tornado-warned storm and had to "assume the position" until it passed by. They got hail but no tornado.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:35 AM   #2479
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Cars are looking extra yellow this year.
Old 04-01-2024, 07:37 AM   #2480
Ksyrup

We look to be in the bullseye tomorrow for severe weather - level 3. Supposed to start north of us this afternoon/evening and make its way down to central KY in several waves through tomorrow. Then a possible back-end snow chance.

It's been in the 70s for several days. Don't be bringing this snow shit back, please. We've moved on.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-01-2024 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:48 PM   #2481
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Look at the twister come...
Here comes the twister...

Letting the days go by
Let the water hold me down...
Letting the days go by
Water flowing underground...
Old 04-01-2024, 10:49 PM   #2482
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

might just be jaundice or you have to pee
Old 04-02-2024, 09:54 AM   #2483
Corny_1
n00b

Quote:

You know what that means for the punching game, extra-hard punches
Corny_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:14 PM   #2484
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The two storm systems went to either side of us. I'm like Moses or something. How did you guys do? Pilotman?
Old 04-02-2024, 07:04 PM   #2485
PilotMan
Head Coach

We did ok. There was a small tornado system that went just south of us, we just had some heavy rain and wind for a bit. Very fast moving storm, but the fact that we had rain this morning kept the energy from really being bad and ramping up. We missed the hail yesterday, happy for that too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:00 PM   #2486
GrantDawg

7.4 Earthquake in Taiwan. Looks like some major damage done.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:08 AM   #2487
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, the 7.4 is bigger than the ones that hit San Francisco and LA back in the 80's and 90's. Those are the biggest I remember in contemporary times for the US.

I think about the NYC tunnels, to Boston airport & the Chunnel, and shudder. Hope they can get them out quickly.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/t...ntl/index.html
Quote:
About 60 of the approximately 77 people trapped after an earthquake struck Taiwan Wednesday are caught in the Jinwen Tunnel in northern Hualien County, Taiwan's National Fire Agency (NFA) said.

Separately, 15 people are trapped in the Dachingshui Tunnel, also in northern Hualien County, NFA said, adding that two German nationals were trapped in a third tunnel.

At least seven people have died in the 7.4 magnitude quake.

Some background: The 400-meter Jinwen Tunnel is one of more than a dozen that thread the Suhua Highway, a treacherous and narrow road that runs for 118 kilometers (73 miles) along Taiwan's eastern coast.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:28 AM   #2488
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I think about the NYC tunnels, to Boston airport & the Chunnel, and shudder. Hope they can get them out quickly.

Are there building standards that have to be met for earthquake in the way there are building standards for hurricanes? If they are, what are the chances that east coast construction of both buildings and the transportation system meets or exceed those standards?
Old 04-03-2024, 01:27 PM   #2489
GrantDawg

Quote:
Are there building standards that have to be met for earthquake in the way there are building standards for hurricanes? If they are, what are the chances that east coast construction of both buildings and the transportation system meets or exceed those standards?
There are. My father-in-law is a retired architect that designed commercial buildings all over the United States. The earthquake code for New York is surprisingly high because there is a fault line near the city, though it is not very active. The problem lies in code that there aren't very many requirements to keep buildings meeting that level of code over time. There are also grandfather laws that don't require older buildings to meet higher standards of codes. Keep in mind many of those codes were updated after the Northridge earthquake in 1994. As for the tunnels and bridges, I wouldn't be surprised if both of those things are true for them as well.
Btw, the thing he told me that surprised me was that the area with an earthquake rating code as high as Los Angles is Memphis, Tennessee. There was a severe earthquake that happened in the fault line near there in 1812 (they guess it was a 7.5) that changed the riverbed off the Mississippi river and caused the river to flow backwards into a depression that formed Reelfoot Lake.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:32 PM   #2490
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Good question, I don’t really know.

Because earthquakes aren’t a major risk in NY or MA (I assume), and they haven’t had to rebuild recently because of earthquakes (unlike SF & LA), I speculate they aren’t built as resistant as the West coast.

The Chunnel is relatively new and has an obvious big risk (the English channel) so I’d presume it was built extra resilient to natural disasters.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:33 PM   #2491
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The earthquake code for New York is surprisingly high because there is a fault line near the city, though it is not very active. The problem lies in code that there aren't very many requirements to keep buildings meeting that level of code over time. There are also grandfather laws that don't require older buildings to meet higher standards of codes. Keep in mind many of those codes were updated after the Northridge earthquake in 1994. As for the tunnels and bridges, I wouldn't be surprised if both of those things are true for them as well.

That's interesting, just in relation to NYC's strict facade inspection laws, which require that a buidling's facade gets inspected every 6 years, which keeps NYC covered in scaffolding.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-03-2024 at 01:34 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 01:34 PM   #2492
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh, just saw GD response. Nvm.

My in-laws used to live in Memphis so knew about that.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:45 PM   #2493
GrantDawg

This made me fall into a rabbit hole, This is the fault line closest to New York. Ramapo Fault - Wikipedia

There are minor ones in the city. The interesting thing is that even though the fault lines on the East Coast are less active than in the West, quakes in the East are felt (and do damage) in a much wider area than in the West. Damage zones for Eastern earthquakes are ten times as large as in the West.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:55 PM   #2494
GrantDawg

And just for fun, here is the NYC goverment write up about just this very thing. It says that the seismic codes for the City mostly went into affect after 1995, and there are a huge number of buildings that don't meet that code now because of their construction material. This also says they do keep bridges up the seismic standard, but doesn't really talk about tunnels.
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/em/downlo...arthquakes.pdf

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-03-2024 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:59 PM   #2495
GrantDawg

And then back on topic, just went through an area that was hit by a tornado last night. Conyers had a pretty decent sized tornado that went through the north side of town. Mostly tree damage, with a few homes that were hit by trees falling. My co-worker had his yard catch fire from downed power-lines. There where tree and power trucks everywhere.
Old 04-05-2024, 09:50 AM   #2496
Edward64
Head Coach

Speaking of earthquakes in NY area ...

Quote:
Magnitude 4.7 earthquake strikes New York, New Jersey region
Old 04-05-2024, 09:52 AM   #2497
Kodos
Resident Alien

I didn't feel a thing!