Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #5101
Groundhog
Coordinator

Chopper is very well known down here, as is the whole underworld era the film is based on, which adds to the movies popularity down here. This was the movie that made Bana a star because before this, he was doing lame b-grade sketch comedy stuff down here in Australia. He absolutely nailed Chopper, and it was actually Chopper himself who suggested Bana play his character in the film.

Last edited by Groundhog : 10-22-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #5102
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Suicane75, that's the type of post I read this thread for

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-22-2012 at 09:17 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #5103
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Study Hell: Oh man/10 - I laughed my ass off, watching a young Andrew Luck play a nerd who was too mainstream for nerds.. A coming of age tale that raises a lot of relevant questions. 1. Who made this? 2. What is their next project? 3. What happened to young Andrew Luck? I don't recall seeing him meet his end. Best actress nominee to Ally Sheedy Jr. for her emotional range.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 10-25-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #5104
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

finally watched prometheus. not a lot to add that the internet hasn't already covered. lindeloff is a snake oil salesman. ridley scott might be the greatest technical director of all time.

watched bronson again. that movie's great. i hope hollywood doesn't ruin nicolas winding refn
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #5105
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - 6/10

I went into this with zero expectations as I'm not usually a fan of any late 20th to early 21st century vampire movies or tv shows. I'm glad they did not play up the stupid and ridiculous gothiness or too much leather, that has been way too prevalent of vampire entertainment the last 20 years or so.

This movie stars a young Liam Neeson, without the accent, who plays Abraham Lincoln and the chick from The Thing prequel. The guy who played the lead bad vampire, I think did a pretty good job and reminded me of Terrance Stamp's portrayal of General Zod in Superman 2. The movie takes place mostly during Lincoln's early life, long before he was president and shows his development from country boy to vampire hunter.

Overall, not a great movie, but, not a horrible movie by any stretch. If you catch this for a early showing or some other discounted price...I say go see it.

Watched this with some friends last night and forced our wives to watch. It wasn't what I thought it would be and really wasn't half bad.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #5106
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Study Hell: Oh man/10 - I laughed my ass off, watching a young Andrew Luck play a nerd who was too mainstream for nerds.. A coming of age tale that raises a lot of relevant questions. 1. Who made this? 2. What is their next project? 3. What happened to young Andrew Luck? I don't recall seeing him meet his end. Best actress nominee to Ally Sheedy Jr. for her emotional range.

lol, yeah, I was typing as I was watching so I didn't touch on that but weren't you waiting for him to come back and save Ally Sheedy? You do raise an interesting question though as I'm off to IMDB to see if they made any other movies.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #5107
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
lol, yeah, I was typing as I was watching so I didn't touch on that but weren't you waiting for him to come back and save Ally Sheedy? You do raise an interesting question though as I'm off to IMDB to see if they made any other movies.

They have made 5 other movies it appears. Study Hell was the first. I plan on possibly looking into acquiring their other films, including the Harry Potter rip offs. Rowdy Roddy Piper seems to be a favorite of theirs to cast for some name recognition.

FUCK EA
Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #5108
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

But can any of them hold a candle to "They Live"?

SI

Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #5109
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Watched this with some friends last night and forced our wives to watch. It wasn't what I thought it would be and really wasn't half bad.

It really wasn't that bad in all honesty. Like you, it wasn't what I thought it would be as well. I'd watch it again.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #5110
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
It really wasn't that bad in all honesty. Like you, it wasn't what I thought it would be as well. I'd watch it again.

any movie where a horse is thrown as a weapon gets some points from me.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #5111
Groundhog
Coordinator

Prometheus - 8.5/10

Took me ages to see it and I managed to avoid all talk about the film prior to seeing it, and haven't read any since. I really enjoyed it. Left me wanting to know more, which is a good thing.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #5112
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I just watched a Peter Jackson/Fran Walsh movie.....no not the Hobbit so don't get excited. Not even The Lord of the RIngs or any part thereof. An all-puppet movie called Meet the Feebles! This isn't muppets now...

In fact this is the only scene postable in a work environment...

THe movie itself is at least watchable. Some good stuff in it. IT isn't terrible If you want to look for a copy or dare to look at other youtube videos, be my guest.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-29-2012 at 06:58 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #5113
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
any movie where a horse is thrown as a weapon gets some points from me.

That was one interesting scene for sure.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #5114
Groundhog
Coordinator

LOL... Meet the Feebles. That was a classic over here in Australia long before Lord of the Rings made Jackson a superstar. Back in high school we watched that movie so many times that I can nearly quote it word for word. The Sodomy song is a classic.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #5115
chinaski
College Prospect

I love all of Peter Jackson's earlier films. Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, Dead Alive and the Frighteners are all fantastic. Heavenly Creatures as well, but for completely different reasons.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #5116
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah Bad Taste was actually the first of his films I saw too, based solely on the cover... I can't remember how young I would have been at the time. The Frighteners is my favourite movie of his (including Lord of the Rings, etc.). Criminally underrated.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #5117
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Frighteners was spoiled by containing the annoying uberredneck Jake Busey.

I kinda like Feebles though. It is definitely "The Anti-Muppet Show"
Bunch of animals trying to put on a show and make it big. Just sex and drugs and STDs get in the way

The Miss Piggy Character is definitely seen in Heidi the hippo as is the Kermit/Piggy relationship in Heidi/Bletch.

I think Harry is a combo of Fozzie and Gonzo

Or maybe the Frog is Gonzo.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #5118
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Yeah Bad Taste was actually the first of his films I saw too, based solely on the cover... I can't remember how young I would have been at the time. The Frighteners is my favourite movie of his (including Lord of the Rings, etc.). Criminally underrated.

Here ya go Hoggy...

Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #5119
Groundhog
Coordinator

The great thing is that, even after all these years, you travel 5 minutes outside of any of the "major" cities in NZ, and everyone still dresses like the people in this film.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #5120
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the grey - 6/10

if you decide that the wolves are actually velociraptors from jurassic park, this becomes an ok movie.

if you think they are normal wolves, this is laughable the whole way through.

i chose raptors.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #5121
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The great thing is that, even after all these years, you travel 5 minutes outside of any of the "major" cities in NZ, and everyone still dresses like the people in this film.

I guess that makes it easy to find all the tourists and hippees looking for The Shire.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #5122
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
the grey - 6/10

if you decide that the wolves are actually velociraptors from jurassic park, this becomes an ok movie.

i chose raptors.

Yeah even the concept sounded pretty ridiculous. Wolves? I'm supposed to be afraid of wolves? No. No matter how much you use your deep scary announcer voice< I will not be scared of cute cuddly wolves.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #5123
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
the grey - 6/10

i chose raptors.

Heh... I see what you mean.

It "helped" me with this movie that I accepted the wolves as normal wolves. Hell, maybe in the Alaska wilderness, those are normal wolves. WTH do I know?

So for me that whole thing was very real and scary.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #5124
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ruby Sparks: It was really awkward and not necessarily all that amazing and yet, I feel like in the 2nd half, I love what they did with the Manic Pixie Dream Girl.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #5125
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Paranormal Activity 2.

Like the first one very spooky nice!
The first one had just the main shot of the bedroom and down the spooky hall which was REALLY effective.

This movie has about 6 different camera views, each showing a different room, view of the house, or outside view. This I think made it a little less creepy because there is more to see and it's less clostrophobic. Also there are more characters so not as much a feeling of alone-in-the-dark ness.

But I was satisfied for sure. A couple of meta things bothered me.
Some of the time they spoke too quietly especially when saying names. This made thigns confusing as the daughter and mother looked a bit too close in age. And I actually thought the housekeeper was a grandmother instead. The sister of the mother and the teenage daughter looked WAY too much alike and for the longest time I didn't realize they were two different characters.

That didn't really affect the scares though. A good "lights out" movie although those with newborns might get extra creeped out.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-31-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #5126
RendeR
Coordinator

Just watched the Sci fi flick "Logan's Run" (1976) 8/10

Now I'd watched this before and I've read the books. I really enjoy the world this is set in. I think they should have fleshed out the movie more (pun intended) but overall it is well done and well written, though the acting is typical 70's wodden stuff, but the main characters are quite solid.

This is a film I think is RIPE for a modern day re-imagining, perhaps even taking the trilogy into a 3 movie set.

Quality Sci-Fi
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 AM   #5127
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Wake In Fright - 8/10 - A 1971 Australian film depicting the lost odyssey of a bonded teacher on a misguided vacation. It is brutal and gripping. Basically the viewer is watching a man drown in beer and sand, eventually coming to a head with the grim reality of his situation bringing him crumbling to the ground in a heap of annihilated desperation. I highly recommend this film. It is a slow burner, but it also burns hot.

Many reviews I read compare it to Straw Dogs, which I haven't yet seen, and it is now a movie I will be tracking down.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 11-01-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #5128
korme
Go Reds

Argo was a really well done movie. Affleck's last 3 flicks have all become some of my top favorites from each respective year. What a career 180

Last edited by korme : 11-14-2012 at 01:08 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #5129
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No one knows how to direct Ben Affleck better than Ben Affleck .
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #5130
Butter
Coordinator

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 9

Very much above average coming-of-age movie that is lifted above your standard teenage movie cliches with OUTSTANDING acting and directing. Especially Ezra Miller (last seen in WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN in an entirely different role... this kid has done 2 Oscar-worthy turns in a row), who plays the gay best male friend of the main character. Emma Watson is no slouch either, turning what easily could have been an unlikable love interest into something quite a bit more... and appearing in just a bra for those of you who like that sort of thing. And finally Logan Lerman (otherwise known as PERCY JACKSON... which I know thanks to having 2 pre-teen boys) did a really good job portraying a clearly troubled kid in a gentle and non-obvious way... his "wallflowery-ness" is well done, down to his nervous tics and spacey blankness when being ridiculed, and clear social awkwardness, yet yearning for more. The background darkness is always kinda there, but not played for any kind of mawkish sympathy, which makes it even more enjoyable.

The story itself feels a little rote, especially through the first half or so, but it really picks up steam in the last half. I might've given this a 9.5, that's how much I liked it... but I refuse to believe that a group of supposed music-loving friends like this would have that much trouble finding out what the so-called "Tunnel Song" is (spoiler alert, it's "Heroes" by David Bowie). Although the film seems to take place in the early to mid '90's, the year and time is never explicitly referenced, although lots of peripheral information would lead you to that conclusion... including the fact that nobody spends much time online or has cell phones. But, other than the omni-present giant cordless phone that Lerman's character seems to use constantly, it gets the style of the time wrong as most of the "misfits" seem ripped straight from the late 2000's high school kid playbook.

That said, I would still highly recommend for anyone who likes emotional coming-of-age dramas with a comedic bent.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #5131
JediKooter
Coordinator

Skyfall - 9/10

I am not a huge James Bond fan (I am a Daniel Craig fan though), but, I really enjoyed this movie. The cinematography was just absolutely beautiful in my opinion and that's what helped really draw me into the movie. Javier Bardem nailed his part as the bad guy and made you really want Bond to just kill the guy.

The new Q is good. Not sold on him yet though, but, time will tell. There were some easter eggs in the flick, some in your face, some a bit more subtle, but, I like how they handled them.

Overall, probably one of my favorite Bond films. Definitely top 5 on my list.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #5132
Suicane75
Coordinator

Paranormal Activity: 0.0 Out Of 10 Stars

Jesus H Christ what a shitstain of a movie. Where to begin? Well first off all there are probably 1 or 2 actual jump moments, and even those aren't all that grand. Other than that theres nothing, and i mean NOTHING interesting about this movie. Well maybe the girls tits.

The premise is that Katie has been haunted all her life by something, so when the hauntings start again her boyfriend Micah decides to buy a camera and document everything that happens to them.

The problem with the movie is that nothing really happens to them. They argue about the camera, they argue about whether they should get help, they go to bed, they get scared by thuds and doors slamming, repeat ad nauseum until you're almost begging for them to just die already.

The male lead has atrocious dialog and delivers it even worse. You ever watch a POV porno and the guy tottaly ruins it by talking and talking and the more you listen to him the softer your cock gets because it's clear he's a functional retard? Ok, now stretch that out over an entire movie. There comes a point about halfway thru the movie where the tedium of listening to the guy makes you hate the girl because anyone with half a brain would just fuckin get rid of him. She cries, she yells, he tells her it'll be ok.........she relents. Rinse and repeat. It's a fuckin chore to watch.

Now then, the big pull of the film are the supposed frights, and as I said there are a couple of jump moments. But just like the horrible repetitive dialog, there is a repetitive setup to every jump moment. Once you've seen the first one you know when all the other ones are coming, you're just waiting for it.

The idea of the camera and all the footage being found is interesting, but by the 3rd time they react to what's supposed to be a frightening situation by grabbing the camera you just wanna strangle them both. It doesn't take long for it to become more of a detriment to the film than it is an asset to the scares.

Rotten Tomatoes has this at 85%. I am so past perplexed that I can't even imagine what these people could of seen in this movie not just to give it a good rating, but to find ANYTHING good about it.

Believe me when I tell you this, the scares aren't there, the story is not there, the acting is not there, there is nothing there. FOR THE FUCKING LOVE OF CHRIST THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE IN THIS GODDAMED SHITFEST OF A MOVIE AND WASTE OF 90 MINUTES.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #5133
molson
General Manager

Suicane75 didn't care for Paranormal Activity.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #5134
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Other than that theres nothing, and i mean NOTHING interesting about this movie. Well maybe the girls tits.

FOR THE FUCKING LOVE OF CHRIST THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE IN THIS GODDAMED SHITFEST OF A MOVIE AND WASTE OF 90 MINUTES.

So the tits aren't worth it?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #5135
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 9

Very much above average coming-of-age movie that is lifted above your standard teenage movie cliches with OUTSTANDING acting and directing. Especially Ezra Miller (last seen in WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN in an entirely different role... this kid has done 2 Oscar-worthy turns in a row), who plays the gay best male friend of the main character. Emma Watson is no slouch either, turning what easily could have been an unlikable love interest into something quite a bit more... and appearing in just a bra for those of you who like that sort of thing. And finally Logan Lerman (otherwise known as PERCY JACKSON... which I know thanks to having 2 pre-teen boys) did a really good job portraying a clearly troubled kid in a gentle and non-obvious way... his "wallflowery-ness" is well done, down to his nervous tics and spacey blankness when being ridiculed, and clear social awkwardness, yet yearning for more. The background darkness is always kinda there, but not played for any kind of mawkish sympathy, which makes it even more enjoyable.

The story itself feels a little rote, especially through the first half or so, but it really picks up steam in the last half. I might've given this a 9.5, that's how much I liked it... but I refuse to believe that a group of supposed music-loving friends like this would have that much trouble finding out what the so-called "Tunnel Song" is (spoiler alert, it's "Heroes" by David Bowie). Although the film seems to take place in the early to mid '90's, the year and time is never explicitly referenced, although lots of peripheral information would lead you to that conclusion... including the fact that nobody spends much time online or has cell phones. But, other than the omni-present giant cordless phone that Lerman's character seems to use constantly, it gets the style of the time wrong as most of the "misfits" seem ripped straight from the late 2000's high school kid playbook.

That said, I would still highly recommend for anyone who likes emotional coming-of-age dramas with a comedic bent.

I saw this over the weekend, too, probably for the same reason you did ("hey, that looks like an awesome soundtrack, maybe I should go see it"). I missed the first ten minutes, so I didn't know if they told us what time it was set in (although wiki confirms that it was early 90s). I'm with you on Heroes, too -- and why couldn't they have just called the radio station?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #5136
Grover
Pro Starter

Cloud Atlas - 10/10

I'll fill the rest of this out when I'm not running back and forth from the W.C. Hooray for food poisoning!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #5137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Jesus H Christ what a shitstain of a movie. Where to begin? Well first off all there are probably 1 or 2 actual jump moments, and even those aren't all that grand. Other than that theres nothing, and i mean NOTHING interesting about this movie. Well maybe the girls tits.

The premise is that Katie has been haunted all her life by something, so when the hauntings start again her boyfriend Micah decides to buy a camera and document everything that happens to them.

The problem with the movie is that nothing really happens to them. They argue about the camera, they argue about whether they should get help, they go to bed, they get scared by thuds and doors slamming, repeat ad nauseum until you're almost begging for them to just die already.

The male lead has atrocious dialog and delivers it even worse. You ever watch a POV porno and the guy tottaly ruins it by talking and talking and the more you listen to him the softer your cock gets because it's clear he's a functional retard? Ok, now stretch that out over an entire movie. There comes a point about halfway thru the movie where the tedium of listening to the guy makes you hate the girl because anyone with half a brain would just fuckin get rid of him. She cries, she yells, he tells her it'll be ok.........she relents. Rinse and repeat. It's a fuckin chore to watch.

Now then, the big pull of the film are the supposed frights, and as I said there are a couple of jump moments. But just like the horrible repetitive dialog, there is a repetitive setup to every jump moment. Once you've seen the first one you know when all the other ones are coming, you're just waiting for it.

The idea of the camera and all the footage being found is interesting, but by the 3rd time they react to what's supposed to be a frightening situation by grabbing the camera you just wanna strangle them both. It doesn't take long for it to become more of a detriment to the film than it is an asset to the scares.

Rotten Tomatoes has this at 85%. I am so past perplexed that I can't even imagine what these people could of seen in this movie not just to give it a good rating, but to find ANYTHING good about it.

Believe me when I tell you this, the scares aren't there, the story is not there, the acting is not there, there is nothing there. FOR THE FUCKING LOVE OF CHRIST THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE IN THIS GODDAMED SHITFEST OF A MOVIE AND WASTE OF 90 MINUTES.

Scared the crap outta me. Not that that is a great achievement. But it did what it came to do when I saw it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #5138
JediKooter
Coordinator

Goon - 8/10

Going in with zero expectations and given that Stiffler (Sean William Scott) is the main character and not really a fan of the guys' acting, I was pretty impressed with this. I think the character that he plays was a very good fit for his acting skills. He plays an 'enforcer' for a couple of semi-pro hockey teams after being a bouncer. He's not a wise man, but, he's honest and is a likable character. All he wants to do is do a good job for his team and because he's not the smartest person, he makes some mistakes along the way which lead to a couple of funny moments.

The movie is based on the book: Goon: The True Story of an Unlikely Journey into Minor League Hockey which chronicles the career of Doug Smith.

Anyway, it's not Slap Shot by any stretch, don't get me wrong, but, if you like hockey and you like hockey movies, you will enjoy this one. It is kind of violent though, so be warned.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #5139
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You guys realize there has been only 8 movies that have done $690+ million in overseas gross and 2 of them are the Ice Age movies?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #5140
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

My take on the Paranormal Activity stuff was basically that I didn't care what happened to the male character at the end. He was a total skeptic at the beginning, so when things started happening right in front of his eyes, he should have simply left. I hate movies where the main characters learn absolutely nothing throughout the film and make decisions that only complete dumb asses would make, even if they end up paying for it in the end. It had a little creepiness factor to it, I'll give it that.. But it was not a lot. It wasn't scary as much as it was frustrating, and it wasn't either of those as much as it was boring.

FUCK EA
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #5141
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:

Get the Rifftrax of it and its worth a watch.

FUCK EA
Old 11-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #5142
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Watched Lincoln yesterday - have to say it was fantastic - great cast, great acting, and really well done overall. I give it 9/10.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob

Last edited by Peregrine : 11-27-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #5143
JediKooter
Coordinator

Lincoln - 10/10

Went last night after work and wow what a great movie. Daniel Day Lewis? Nailed it. Sally Fields? Nailed it. Tommy Lee Jones? Nailed it. The supporting cast was awesome too, in my opinion. Daniel Day Lewis' portrayal of Lincoln I think has earned him an Oscar nomination and would be shocked if he didn't win it to be honest.

I like how this wasn't a 'life story' about Abraham Lincoln and focused on a segment of his presidency and the machinations of mid 19th century American politics. I'm sure there was a bit of 'dramatic embellishment' of it in parts, but, it worked since I don't feel this is a documentary of Abraham Lincoln. I can see where some people might not like this movie though, it is a bit wordy with not a lot of action. However, if that period of American history interests you or you just like dramatic movies (even if you know how they end), spend the money and go see this in the theater.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #5144
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Lincoln - 10/10

Went last night after work and wow what a great movie. Daniel Day Lewis? Nailed it. Sally Fields? Nailed it. Tommy Lee Jones? Nailed it. The supporting cast was awesome too, in my opinion. Daniel Day Lewis' portrayal of Lincoln I think has earned him an Oscar nomination and would be shocked if he didn't win it to be honest.

I like how this wasn't a 'life story' about Abraham Lincoln and focused on a segment of his presidency and the machinations of mid 19th century American politics. I'm sure there was a bit of 'dramatic embellishment' of it in parts, but, it worked since I don't feel this is a documentary of Abraham Lincoln. I can see where some people might not like this movie though, it is a bit wordy with not a lot of action. However, if that period of American history interests you or you just like dramatic movies (even if you know how they end), spend the money and go see this in the theater.

Heh

Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #5145
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You guys realize there has been only 8 movies that have done $690+ million in overseas gross and 2 of them are the Ice Age movies?

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/wor...er=DESC&p=.htm

Hm... now I'm kindof curious as to why that number is so high

SI

Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #5146
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Heh

Ha! Totally unintentional pun there.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #5147
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Bernie - 8/10 - Jack Black does his thing as Bernie Tiede in a more serious film, and I thought did an excellent job. This is one of those cases where the "Based on a true story" actually keeps very close to the story itself. Very interesting and I thought very enjoyable. Some black comedy elements in there, but overall maintained a fairly serious tone right alongside the funny parts. Richard Linklater is one of my favorite directors because he pulls stuff like this off.

Bernie - 8/10

Agree with this. Linklater seems to be able to coax amazing performances out of his cast. He gave McConaughey his break in 'Dazed and Confused', brought out Jack Black in 'School of Rock', and gets Black's best performance to date in 'Bernie'.

He nails the feel of small town Texas in this movie. It was awesome that he used actual townspeople as the ones being interviewed throughout the movie. I mentioned this in the random thoughts thread, but one of my uncles is a casket salesman. The funeral home where Bernie worked was one of his customers, and he knew Bernie fairly well. He was just as surprised as everyone else when this all went down.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #5148
Butter
Coordinator

Do we really know how close it kept to the story though? I liked this movie a lot also, but it seems like there might be more to things like was Bernie giving money and gifts to people in return for sexual favors or what. It's not addressed.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #5149
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Do we really know how close it kept to the story though? I liked this movie a lot also, but it seems like there might be more to things like was Bernie giving money and gifts to people in return for sexual favors or what. It's not addressed.

The movie was largely based on a Texas Monthly article written back in 1998, when the story first broke. It was written before the trial happened.

Midnight in the Garden of East Texas :: Texas Monthly

There were stories and rumors about the sexual favors angle, which are probably true. But he was handing out money and gifts to just about everyone, not just as ways of luring people into sex. I think the prosecution played up that part of things to get the small town rumor mill going into overdrive and knew that would be something that would take hold in rural East Texas.

edit: and one of Margie's nephews says the movie is pretty close to how it happened.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/ma...ep-freeze.html
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-27-2012 at 12:44 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #5150
chinaski
College Prospect

Beasts of the Southern Wild....
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - IMDb

Im speechless. One of the best movies i've seen in a very long time.

10/10

Last edited by chinaski : 11-27-2012 at 10:19 PM.