Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #301
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
There seems to be a "Steam Issue" where people who bought through Steam can't get the game to load. Including me ...

if that happens to me i will go to Steam world-HQ and leave a flaming bag of feces on their doorstep

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-29-2009 at 08:56 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #302
Router Help

My Steam copy works!
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #303
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I got the game to open to the main menu but didn't try starting a game because I'm busy with the editor.

I'm making progress on my revamp of the American league structure (got my first two 18 team divisions up) but am unsure how I make a division three that is broken up into different regions. I'm looking at Serie C1 (and it's subleagues C1-A and C1-B) in the editor, maybe I can just copy that?

edit: I might have figured it out. We'll see if this works eventually.

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-29-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #304
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

mine's starting to open...updating directx
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #305
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I got the game to open to the main menu but didn't try starting a game because I'm busy with the editor.

I'm making progress on my revamp of the American league structure (got my first two 18 team divisions up) but am unsure how I make a division three that is broken up into different regions. I'm looking at Serie C1 (and it's subleagues C1-A and C1-B) in the editor, maybe I can just copy that?

edit: I might have figured it out. We'll see if this works eventually.

So how do you go about populating the teams with actual players? You have to manually create them, no?

Edit: I guess you won't have to populate teams unless you're creating more teams than are in the default database, right?

Last edited by sovereignstar : 10-29-2009 at 09:08 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #306
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Router Help View Post
My Steam copy works!

Sadly I'm not home right now so am not playing yet, but my steam copy better be working by then.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #307
McLovin
Mascot

Ok. I had to update directx. Works fine now.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #308
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

mine's fine. installed new sounds file...yay for that. soon will install the custom-filters....building my first game DB now
Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #309
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
So how do you go about populating the teams with actual players? You have to manually create them, no?

Edit: I guess you won't have to populate teams unless you're creating more teams than are in the default database, right?

I only created three teams (St. Louis, Atlanta, and Detroit for the second division) and gave them more money than the other teams. Hopefully they can put a team together, we'll see.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #310
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm in! woohoo!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #311
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

If anyone has any questions about the editor, let me know. I'm very familiar with it.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #312
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Todd - did you need a favor?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #313
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Nah - changed my mind. I was looking for the player pictures, but I'll be okay without.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #314
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I want this so fuckin bad but can't get it until I get paid tomorrow. GRRRRR
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #315
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Well, I moved some money around and it's now downloading! So pumped!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #316
atatange1
High School JV

Had to do directx fix, seems to be good now.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #317
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post

If you tick the "Add key staff" option at the start new game screen, the game will not only add needed key non-playing staff that are missing (such as assistant managers, coaches etc.) but it will also fill any empty teams with older players so the teams won't start up empty (aside from filling the main team, any youth teams are filled with youth also). If you leave the said option unticked, any teams with a youth team will still get their youth team filled so they won't be totally out of players.

Edit: There are a few fixes in the patch related to the creation of these older players to empty teams, so if you are planning on starting a game with a lot of empty teams that need to be filled with newgens created by the game, make sure you apply patch first

Last edited by riz : 10-30-2009 at 05:32 AM.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #318
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
the game leaked yesterday, so people are already playing it heh

If I was independently wealthy, I might spend the next year tracking down these people and stabbing them in the face. Additionally, I could then play FM2010 on the plane a lot. WIN-WIN!!!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #319
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Nah - changed my mind. I was looking for the player pictures, but I'll be okay without.

I just used what I had for 09 and it worked perfectly.

I am loving the game so far. The tactics side of things are MUCH more user friendly and I don't find it as tedious in years past.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #320
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
game is out for USA-folk? fuck yeah! was just talking about this with Pass at dinner. We ate at Harry Carrey's - he's a chill dude.

Yeah, it was fun! You convinced me to try out the demo -- probably tomorrow.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #321
cody8200
High School Varsity

Can you guys tell (that play MLS) what changes have been made?
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #322
cody8200
High School Varsity

MLS changes according to the developer:

Rules are updated for the 2009 season. There has been improvements regarding AI teams signing Designated Players and the main new feature is the ability to get your Assistant to complete a report of possible Designated PLayers that are interested in joining the club.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #323
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

If anyone is interested, I've got several editor files to replace the MLS:

1. A basic re-do of the MLS to make it a one-division, one-level league without MLS rules regarding trades and draft picks.

2,3. An expanded US Soccer system with the MLS and lower levels with full promotion and relegation. This uses existing US teams that are placed in their level based on reputation. I have one 2-level version and a 4-level version. No teams were created or edited.

4. A totally re-done US league - Premier League of America - that is based in Switzerland so the teams compete in European cups like the champions league, but the teams are based in the US so all regens are American. 4 levels, expanded teams with accurate jerseys, added cup competitions (including a friendly cup vs. England's top 2 levels), promotion and relegation playoffs, etc.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 10-30-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #324
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Hopefully they fixed the issue where MLS teams don't cut players as soon as you trade with them.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #325
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

1. A basic re-do of the MLS to make it a one-division, one-level league without MLS rules regarding trades and draft picks.

2,3. An expanded US Soccer system with the MLS and lower levels with full promotion and relegation. This uses existing US teams that are placed in their level based on reputation. I have one 2-level version and a 4-level version. No teams were created or edited.

4. A totally re-done US league - Premier League of America - that is based in Switzerland so the teams compete in European cups like the champions league, but the teams are based in the US so all regens are American. 4 levels, expanded teams with accurate jerseys, added cup competitions (including a friendly cup vs. England's top 2 levels), promotion and relegation playoffs, etc.

::drools::

PLA rocks my face. Best idea evar. I need to get this game. Probably not until next week, but...you all are making me want it now.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #326
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Not happy right now. I see the patch is out, and I go into Steam and don't see anything about a patch, so I download it from the SI site.

Now, the game tells me that it doesn't recognize a disk so I can't play. Not sure what to do here....
Old 10-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #327
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Almost forgot:

If anyone has links to good facepacks, sounds, kits, badges, etc. Post those links here, or better yet, update the add-on's thread in teh sub-forum.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #328
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Every time I buy a FM game, I try to behave and buy the boxed version of the game. And every time, I'm so thankful I did when I hear about the saga involved to get the game via a download service.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #329
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Every time I buy a FM game, I try to behave and buy the boxed version of the game. And every time, I'm so thankful I did when I hear about the saga involved to get the game via a download service.

I downloaded the last version off Steam and it was easy peasy. No issues. No worries. And quite a bit cheaper than any boxed version to boot.

Then again, I didn't download it until December or so, so I'm sure all the issues had been ironed out by then.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #330
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Buying through steam was a piece of cake. I had it up and running less than 5 minutes after I bought it.

Did anyone else have trouble installing the patch?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #331
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Buying through steam was a piece of cake. I had it up and running less than 5 minutes after I bought it.

Did anyone else have trouble installing the patch?

I bought it last night and it was already patched.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #332
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
And quite a bit cheaper than any boxed version to boot.

The nice part this year is that the boxed version is only $30.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #333
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
I bought it last night and it was already patched.

Strange...I'm almost positive mine wasn't.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #334
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
The nice part this year is that the boxed version is only $30.

Just curious...where did you find it for that price? Lowest I have seen is 39.95.

Thanks!
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #335
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Crisis averted. I remember seeing 1.0, but it was under "Display and Sound" where the skin info is. Looks like it is patched.

Back to football!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #336
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Just curious...where did you find it for that price? Lowest I have seen is 39.95.

Thanks!

Amazon.com had a preorder for $29.99 for some time. It's now $39.99.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #337
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Amazon.com had a preorder for $29.99 for some time. It's now $39.99.

Gotcha...thanks...too bad I didn't plan it earlier

Thanks!
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #338
cody8200
High School Varsity

MLS fans,

Member up:

Fmnorthamerica -> FM General Discussion

This guy does all of the updated MLS stuff. Also, its nice to be around other MLS fans.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #339
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Downloading my Steam copy now. The editable database deal pretty much sold me on this year's edition. Especially the speed of which people have setup their universes to be able to play.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #340
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Awesome. I'd like to try the middle version with four levels. These teams still qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League and play in the US Open Cup in your setup right?

The game kept crashing when I used my edited db last night (everything checked out in the test though), I couldn't get a game started. For my first career I'm just using the vanilla db now.

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-30-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #341
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
The game kept crashing when I used my edited db last night (everything checked out in the test though), I couldn't get a game started. For my first career I'm just using the vanilla db now.

If you edit the database try and ensure that the right amount of teams are present in all the competitions which you're going to activate - if you don't do this the game will try and recover but can't always work out what you intended (which is when it tends to go splat).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #342
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Awesome. I'd like to try the middle version with four levels. These teams still qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League and play in the US Open Cup in your setup right?

That sounds cool to me, too.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #343
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Man Utd faithful are delighted that I've brought Ruud van Nistelrooy back to Old Trafford. Owen picked up an injury (shocker) and I didn't want to spend 50+ million on a Villa or Aguero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
If you edit the database try and ensure that the right amount of teams are present in all the competitions which you're going to activate - if you don't do this the game will try and recover but can't always work out what you intended (which is when it tends to go splat).

I don't quite follow. I put a certain number of teams in the divisions, are there right and wrong amounts? Is a 14 team division too small maybe? Or perhaps there weren't enough teams competing in the domestic cup?

I'll ticker with it some more in the coming days and see what happens.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #344
RainMaker
General Manager

I've never bought a game off Steam. What are the advantages/disadvantages? I plan to play on a laptop most of the time but may switch to my desktop down the road. Can you move it to another computer easily?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #345
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I've never bought a game off Steam. What are the advantages/disadvantages? I plan to play on a laptop most of the time but may switch to my desktop down the road. Can you move it to another computer easily?

You can play games bought through Steam on an unlimited number of computers, you just have to be logged in at the time.

Disadvantages are having to have Steam open to run the program (not a big deal imo, it doesn't use much processing power to run, under 1% on my laptop) and the fact that you'll never be able to sell the game on eBay or anywhere else if you wind up not enjoying it. The latter is a downside to any digital download service. That's why I only get games I think I'm very likely to like through DD (or if they're really cheap through some kind of sale).

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-30-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #346
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
You can play games bought through Steam on an unlimited number of computers, you just have to be logged in at the time.

Disadvantages are having to have Steam open to run the program (not a big deal imo, it doesn't use much processing power to run, under 1% on my laptop) and the fact that you'll never be able to sell the game on eBay or anywhere else if you wind up not enjoying it. The latter is a downside to any digital download service. That's why I only get games I think I'm very likely to like through DD (or if they're really cheap through some kind of sale).

+1

Though I've never been able to sell a game I didn't like anyway, so...I guess it's meh. But it's a true point, the only games I play in steam is Chessmaster and FM. Front Office Manager was a huge dud and I didn't renew Football Manager Live once my subscription ran out.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #347
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Thumbs up

European Style MLS - One level

Promotion Style MLS - 5 levels, all real teams from the database AS IS

Premier League of America - 5 levels, based in Europe, added cups, added teams, added jerseys, added win.

I put the first two together in a bout 15 minutes each, the PLA has taken me many many hours over the last 2 months.

I've "soaked" each game until 2030, so there should be no errors, no crashes, and no surprises (unless you count the Columbus Crew winning the Champions League in 2028).

However, YMMV.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #348
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

I try to print my roster (to web) so I can post it in my dynasty but for some reason it cuts off the last columns.

What’s the easiest way to do this?
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #349
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK View Post
I try to print my roster (to web) so I can post it in my dynasty but for some reason it cuts off the last columns.

What’s the easiest way to do this?

You talking about age and value not showing up correctly? Looks like a bug.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #350
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Already figured out a workaround. Create a copy of the default view. Should print to web fine from that view.