Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Eco-terrorist at Discovery Channel?

Montgomery County, Maryland, Police Chief J. Thomas Mangersaid the gunman at the Discovery Channel's headquarters is holding hostage more than one person.

Manger said about 3:20 p.m. that negotiations have been going on for nearly an hour, "and we will continue that for as long as we can."

[Updated at 3:17 p.m.] The man suspected of taking at least one hostage at the Discovery Channel's headquarters entered the building's main entrance "wearing what appeared to be metallic canister devices on his front and back," a police spokesman said Wednesday. "He also pulled a handgun out and was waving a handgun."

Silver Spring Police Chief. Chief J. Thomas Manger said police haven't confirmed whether any shots were fired inside the building.

Manger said Lee has remained in first floor area of the Discovery building, where 1,900 employees work.

"We believe that most of them are out," Manger said. "There are a small number of hostages with him."

AND

man believed to be holding at least one hostage at the Discovery Channel headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland, has been identified as James Lee, a law enforcement source tells CNN.

Lee is an environmental protester who has been publishing criticisms of the network, according to a senior law enforcement official close to the investigation.

An angry manifesto posted on a website called SaveThePlanetProtest.com repeatedly refers to humans as "filth" and demands that the Discovery Channel "stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants."

"Civilization must be exposed for the filth it is," the 1,149-word statement says.

"Humans are the most destructive, filthy, pollutive creatures around and are wrecking what's left of the planet with their false morals and breeding culture," it continues.

Lee also blasts immigration, farming, weapons of mass destruction, automotive pollution "and the whole blasted human economy."

He demands that the Discovery Channel broadcast daily prime-time shows devoted to "solutions to save the planet," perhaps in a game-show format, insisting "Make it interesting so people watch and apply solutions!!!!"

Many of Lee's comments are directed at "the media," saying "You can reach enough people. It's your responsibility because you reach so many minds!!!"

"The world needs TV shows that DEVELOP solutions to the problems that humans are causing, not stupify the people into destroying the world. Not encouraging them to breed more environmentally harmful humans," the manifesto says.

"These are the demands and sayings of Lee," the manifesto concludes.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-01-2010 at 02:56 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

His manifesto can be read via google cache. It's hilarious.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

WTF - this dude is pissed about televising Kate + 8 and the Duggars?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

I will be ending all emails from now on with "These are the demands and sayings of Reilly."
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hopefully at the end of this there will be one less stupid human polluting the planet.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Saving the environment and the remaning species diversity of the planet is now your mindset. Nothing is more important than saving them. The Lions, Tigers, Giraffes, Elephants, Froggies, Turtles, Apes, Raccoons, Beetles, Ants, Sharks, Bears, and, of course, the Squirrels.

lol
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Ksyrup

of course
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
I will be ending all emails from now on with "These are the demands and sayings of Reilly."

You are the fourth person I know to say this.

Bold prediction: This will be an internet meme within a week.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
Ksyrup

He had to come up with something new after LeBron stole his thunder. "I'm taking my guns and squirrels to the Discovery channel headquarters" just seems so cliche now.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

My wifes cousin works in there........Girl's got no luck...She was in the pentegon on 9/11..now this
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

It's already my sig!
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Apparently they shot him dead, hostages are okay. Hearing this second hand, can't find a link yet.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Apparently they shot him dead, hostages are okay. Hearing this second hand, can't find a link yet.

Well, she just facebooked my wife so at least some of the hostages are ok
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:

You mean I'm not a special little snowflake? dammit

These are the demands and sayings of Reilly
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

I bet his website looks like it is something from 1994 and has tons of capitalization and punctuation errors, yellowish background, multi-colored text, etc...

Ok, saw part of his site, I was wrong, but, it's still a god awful looking site.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 09-01-2010 at 04:21 PM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Lee's had his run in with the law before...

"James Jay Lee, the man better known only as "Lee", the organizer of a lengthy protest against The Discovery Channel, has been arrested by Montgomery County police. Lee appears to have spent thousands of dollars in advertising his protest plans in publications such as the Express and hiring homeless people to beef up his presence in front of the cable network's Silver Spring headquarters.

WJLA reported that Lee was arrested yesterday on charges of littering and disorderly conduct. The littering charge may have stemmed from Lee reportedly having literally thrown money at people on the street so that they would gather around his protest site on Georgia Ave.

It's hard not to suspect at this point that Lee, 40, is at least to some degree mentally disturbed, so we hope this arrest leads to him getting some help. At the very least, it appears as though he has the financial means to take care of his legal troubles. "
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #17
Ksyrup

One positive out of this situation - I was checking out Discovery's website to see what shows he might be pissed about, and realized that Les Stroud has a new show. Sweet! Thanks Mr. Dead Anti-Discovery Channel Dude - I now have a new show to add to my DVR queue!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Was he the author of this article?

Science Channel Refuses To Dumb Down Science Any Further | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
His manifesto can be read via google cache. It's hilarious.

Quote:
"Humans are the most destructive, filthy, pollutive creatures around and are wrecking what's left of the planet with their false morals and breeding culture," it continues.

Lee also blasts immigration, farming, weapons of mass destruction, automotive pollution "and the whole blasted human economy."

He demands that the Discovery Channel broadcast daily prime-time shows devoted to "solutions to save the planet," perhaps in a game-show format, insisting "Make it interesting so people watch and apply solutions!!!!"

Many of Lee's comments are directed at "the media," saying "You can reach enough people. It's your responsibility because you reach so many minds!!!"

"The world needs TV shows that DEVELOP solutions to the problems that humans are causing, not stupify the people into destroying the world. Not encouraging them to breed more environmentally harmful humans," the manifesto says.

Gotta admit though, even if the majority of it is crazy, he has valid points that really do need to be addressed...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
Ksyrup

That's funny, I thought the principle function of TV was to entertain, not serve as the main source for solutions to human problems. I'd venture a guess that JiMGA would have severe problems selling ad space on such thrilling TV shows as, "Fun with Abstinence" and "Diary of a Coastline Trash Collector."
Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'd venture a guess that JiMGA would have severe problems selling ad space on such thrilling TV shows as, "Fun with Abstinence" and "Diary of a Coastline Trash Collector."

Eh, almost anything can find a buyer, as long as the rate is low enough. There's probably worse programming than your examples on TV already
Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #22
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's funny, I thought the principle function of TV was to entertain, not serve as the main source for solutions to human problems. I'd venture a guess that JiMGA would have severe problems selling ad space on such thrilling TV shows as, "Fun with Abstinence" and "Diary of a Coastline Trash Collector."

Exactly, people are more concerned about what Spencer and Heidi are doing than what really affects their life. It's one thing I hate about society. (I'm guilty of it to)

Last edited by DanGarion : 09-02-2010 at 02:38 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #23
Ksyrup

I don't believe TV is the proper vehicle for the development of "solutions to our problems." If anything, TV has become so singularly-focused on entertainment, sound bites, and hype that it would probably be destructive to the causes this guy supported to even try it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-02-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #24
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Eh, almost anything can find a buyer, as long as the rate is low enough. There's probably worse programming than your examples on TV already

Well, if the trash collector woudl document all of the rare collectibles he finds, I think they've kinda got a show about that already.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #25
Ksyrup

Quote:
Instead, he sought programming based on "My Ishmael," a book by philosopher Daniel Quinn in which a telepathic gorilla instructs a 12-year-old girl on society's failings. On his MySpace page, Lee said his heroes were Quinn and "Star Trek" commander James T. Kirk.

Awesome.

I love the fact that a homeless guy has a MySpace page.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

What was the resolution of this? I missed it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #27
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Police sniper took him out when he pointed a gun at a hostage.

The bombs he said he had were the green one pound propane bottles, and the gun turned out to be a starter pistol.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Heh.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #29
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

I don't know, but he might have created this:

The scary part is...they've got 4 or 5 more kids now!