Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #1501
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess I could understand it if you had a stronger veteran or other young guy taking over. But Derek Anderson?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #1502
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If it was some random guy who took a girl to the bathroom and had his buddies block the entrance so no one could get in, you would see it with different eyes. But he throws Touchdowns for your favorite team so it's cool if he sexually assaults a girl.

Who's saying it's cool to sexually assault anyone? What most people are saying is that there's no strong evidence that a sexual assault took place.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #1503
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Most people = you and one other guy
Old 09-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #1504
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Apparently the "one other guy" is the local prosecutor.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #1505
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hadn't really thought of it, but the guy on ESPN mentioned that Leinhart to Seattle would make a lot of sense.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #1506
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Most people = you and one other guy
You mean Steeler fans.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #1507
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I think even Steeler fans consider him a necessary evil at best.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #1508
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nah, Jeff. Most of the d-bags I grew up with and the message board sentiments were that Ben is ok. They have to give Dixon a long look here. Trading Ben after the season is necessary. We aren't the Raiders or Bengals or Cowboys.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #1509
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Can anyone fill me in on the Leinert situation? He didn't seem horrible enough to cut in preseason. I can understand the benching, but I just haven't heard what's happened.

Is it an attitude issue? Lack of effort? What's the deal with the whole situation? I'm guessing this is much deeper than a lackluster preseason.

Leinart was already there when Coach Whisenhunt came in. He's a coach who likes character guys, and Leinart at least early on was not much of a character guy, immature and not the best work ethic. Ever since then, in my opinion, he had very little confidence in Leinart. Had signed that big 1st round contract, so couldn't just get rid of him, and he was a valuable backup when Warner was there.

By what I've read at least, Leinart did work hard to prove himself in Whisenhunt's eyes since those early embarassing moments, but in the end he just wasn't a fit in his system or the team the Coach wants to build.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #1510
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Anybody know why the Jags were willing to trade Reggie Nelson to the Bengals for a fourth CB?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #1511
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Anybody know why the Jags were willing to trade Reggie Nelson to the Bengals for a fourth CB?

He was according to metric sites, one of, if not the worst safety in the NFL last year.

He is awful.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #1512
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I don't get Josh McDaniels, in the three way trade with the Lions and Eagles earlier this year, the Lions got TE Scheffler, the Eagles got LB Sims, and Denver got a fifth round pick and a seventh round pick. Yesterday they traded Alphonso Smith, a CB they traded a 2010 first-rounder to draft in the second round of 2009, for the Lions Dan Gronkowski, a TE the Lions drafted in the seventh round. So essentially the Broncos gave Tony Scheffler and Alphonso Smith away for a fifth round pick, a seventh round pick, and Dan Gronkowski.

Obviously, it makes sense to get something for nothing, if they were planning on outright cutting Smith, but one year seems like an awful quick evaluation for a dude that cost a first round pick, and they traded up to grab.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #1513
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Hadn't really thought of it, but the guy on ESPN mentioned that Leinhart to Seattle would make a lot of sense.

Considering how much they invested in Whitehurst, I'm not sure it makes that much sense. Otherwise, I would agree.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #1514
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I don't get Josh McDaniels, in the three way trade with the Lions and Eagles earlier this year, the Lions got TE Scheffler, the Eagles got LB Sims, and Denver got a fifth round pick and a seventh round pick. Yesterday they traded Alphonso Smith, a CB they traded a 2010 first-rounder to draft in the second round of 2009, for the Lions Dan Gronkowski, a TE the Lions drafted in the seventh round. So essentially the Broncos gave Tony Scheffler and Alphonso Smith away for a fifth round pick, a seventh round pick, and Dan Gronkowski.

Obviously, it makes sense to get something for nothing, if they were planning on outright cutting Smith, but one year seems like an awful quick evaluation for a dude that cost a first round pick, and they traded up to grab.

With those and the Dallas deal, at least it's not the Lions doing the stupid.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:34 PM   #1515
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
With those and the Dallas deal, at least it's not the Lions doing the stupid.

Also got Rob Sims and Lawrence Jackson for a song from the Seahawks, and then replaced some lost picks by trading them throw-away lineman Tyler Polumbus. Dallas, Denver and Seattle are at least partially responsible for most of the Lions overhaul...for better or worse.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #1516
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Seahawks are making me plain dizzy...more than half the roster from last year is gone.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #1517
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
He was according to metric sites, one of, if not the worst safety in the NFL last year.

He is awful.

Do those sites take into account that the Jags only had 14 sacks last season? With a pass rush like that, Revis would look like an average CB.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #1518
Swaggs
Coordinator

Thinking about it a bit more, how crappy must Arizona fans feel that their starting QB wasn't even good enough to keep a job with the Browns? They can blame it on Dennis Green and Leinhart all they want, but if you are down enough on Leinhart that he went from probably starter to cut, shouldn't they have maybe brought in a little higher caliber QB to compete with him?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #1519
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Thinking about it a bit more, how crappy must Arizona fans feel that their starting QB wasn't even good enough to keep a job with the Browns? They can blame it on Dennis Green and Leinhart all they want, but if you are down enough on Leinhart that he went from probably starter to cut, shouldn't they have maybe brought in a little higher caliber QB to compete with him?

Like who?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #1520
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Revis signed his new deal tonight.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #1521
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Like who?

McNabb
Pennington
Bulger
Kitna
Jeff Garcia
Troy Smith
Vick
Leftwich
Carr
Kerry Collins
one of the second tier of draft guys (Pike, LeFevour, McCoy, Clausen)

Granted they may not all be available or easily aquired (Pennington? Collins? Vick?), but a lot of them were available this past offseason and, if you weren't certain that Leinhart was a pretty good bet to be the starter after having him on the team for the past few seasons, wouldn't you try to upgrade the position beyond Derek Anderson level (either short or long term)?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #1522
Danny
Head Coach

From that list, only McNabb is better than Anderson.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:41 AM   #1523
Danny
Head Coach

Also, I am glad to see Revis signed. I am not a Jets fan, but I like seeing what teams can do fully loaded.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #1524
Danny
Head Coach

Triple Dola, Arizona's set of rookies look better than any of the rookie QB's you named as well
Old 09-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #1525
Danny
Head Coach

One more to say that oh man I can't wait for the season. As much as I enjoy other sports, nothing gets me excited like football season (sports wise
Old 09-06-2010, 03:10 AM   #1526
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
From that list, only McNabb is better than Anderson.

Really? Anderson is still living off of 4 good games in 2008 against 4 of the worst pass defenses in the NFL.

I'd take my chances with what's left of Pennington or Bulger. I'd take Leftwich or Garcia over him. I'd see what Troy Smith could do as a starter over him. I'd take Charlie Batch over him. I'd take Kerry Collins over him. I'd take Chris Simms over him. Hell, I'd take Jeff George over him right now.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-06-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #1527
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm curious to see what Anderson does with a competent offense in front of him, I don't think he is as bad as people say but probably not as good as some people think either.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #1528
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

THREADKILLER

DISCUSSION IS MOVING OVER TO THE WEEK ONE THREAD
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #1529
Swaggs
Coordinator

Granted, Romeo Crennell and Eric Mangini don't appear to be world class head coaches, but both of their staffs along with Brian Billick (during his lean, QB-less years with the Ravens) both passed on Anderson.

During his career, he hasn't been able to assert himself as a starter while competing against guys like Kyle Boller, Anthony Wright, (old) Trent Dilfer (did you remember him playing for the Browns?), Charlie Frye, or Brady Quinn. Jake Delhomme was Mangini's preference, in a season that probably determines whether or not Mangini makes it as an NFL head coach, this offseason.

Arizona is easily a playoff team with a solid QB. If you've had 3+ seasons to see what Leinart has and there is a decent chance he cannot be a starter, I don't see how you fail to draft or sign a good short OR long term option at the position.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #1530
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Really? Anderson is still living off of 4 good games in 2008 against 4 of the worst pass defenses in the NFL.

I'd take my chances with what's left of Pennington or Bulger. I'd take Leftwich or Garcia over him. I'd see what Troy Smith could do as a starter over him. I'd take Charlie Batch over him. I'd take Kerry Collins over him. I'd take Chris Simms over him. Hell, I'd take Jeff George over him right now.

I don't think Anderson is very good, but everyone else on that list is just as bad, if not worse.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #1531
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
THREADKILLER

DISCUSSION IS MOVING OVER TO THE WEEK ONE THREAD

We should just adjust the title of this thread and keep it going, we'll break the post record by the end of the season!