Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #401
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
really??? i like it.

I bet you wouldnt like it if the Pats had been better this past year and couldnt do a damn thing.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #402
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Would you rather sign a known commodity that will produce right away or an unknown one that may or may not produce for you a few years down the road?

You don't give up the number six pick in the draft for a problem WR. Not even taking into account the number of holes the Hawks need to fill.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #403
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Boldin to the Pats getting cold water poured on it by many sources.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #404
MikeVic
Head Coach

Don't the Pats need defense?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #405
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I bet you wouldnt like it if the Pats had been better this past year and couldnt do a damn thing.

Sure I would have. That's where you make the mistake of thinking I'm 100% a homer, when I'm not.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-05-2010 at 04:04 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #406
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sure I would have. That's where you make the mistake of thinking I'm 100% a homer, when I'm not.

LOL, so please explain what is so great about it then?

Every other year the top teams get to sign free agents if they are under the cap however this ONE year they decide to make this exception putting a freeze on the bottom 8 teams in other words screwing

1. New Orleans
2. Indy
3. Minnesota
4. Jets

In a big way

while screwing
5. Arizona
6. Dallas
7. San Diego
8. Baltimore

in a smaller way.

I guess Id love it to if I was a fan on the crappy 24 teams that can sign players without having to worry about the top 8 teams improving themselves.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-05-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #407
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

King reporting Boldin close to being traded to the Ravens.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #408
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

DT, I would guess that the inability to sign FA is compounded by the choking away of the NFC Championship game.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #409
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I guess Id love it to if I was a fan on the crappy 24 teams that can sign players without having to worry about the top 8 teams improving themselves.

As a fan of one of the crappy, if not the crappiest, 24 teams that can sign players without having to worry about the top 8 teams improving themselves, I think you're spot on. I do love it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #410
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
DT, I would guess that the inability to sign FA is compounded by the choking away of the NFC Championship game.

Not really.

Its more compounded by the fact that the Vikings keep themselves in a great cap situation unlike other teams.

It would have been nice to have the ability to sign Dunta Robinson though.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #411
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
As a fan of one of the crappy, if not the crappiest, 24 teams that can sign players without having to worry about the top 8 teams improving themselves, I think you're spot on. I do love it.

I am glad you are being honest.

I know I would love it to if the Vikings hadnt had their first good year in 10 year this past year.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-05-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #412
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't the Vikings make the playoffs the year before last?
Old 03-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #413
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I know I would love it to if the Vikings hadnt had their first good year in 10 year this past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

Seriously. In the last 10 years, not including their one "good year" last year, the Vikings have been to the playoffs three times (2000, 2004, and 2008). They won a playoff game in 2004 and 2008. They also had a winning record of 9-7 in both 2003 and 2005.

Considering that the Vikings won more playoffs games in that 10 year span where they didn't have a "good year" than the Lions have won in 53 years, I feel absolutely no pity for the Vikings or their long suffering fanbase.

In any event, the Bears signed Chester Taylor. The Vikings can sign a UFA now. Stop your whining and get on it! Go take advantage of that great cap situation.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-05-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #414
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In any event, the Bears signed Chester Taylor. The Vikings can sign a UFA now. Stop your whining and get on it! Go take advantage of that great cap situation.

Heh...I'll bet that Taylor deal ain't too big. And any new addition as a replacement needs to be a "comparable" deal. Don't know how big a FA they'll be able to get (and now they need a backup RB, unless they just use a pick).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #415
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

[quote=MikeVic;2237019]Did she look like this?
QUOTE]

No this...the one in the middle yelling

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-05-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #416
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Ravens get: Anquan Boldin, 2010 5th round pick
Cardinals get: 2010 3rd round pick, 2010 4th round pick

I'm glad he's not going to New England.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #417
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Don't the Pats need defense?

I don't think as much as it would seem. They aren't studs, but they are very young and only are going to get better, that's not to say they couldn't use a playmaker. But I could see a breakout year with what they have, assuming they don't lose Wilfork(please, please, please).

Offense on the other hand, they put up good numbers but were very inconsistent and are trending down. They couldn't ever make the play when they needed to. I'd be very surprised if we ever see Welker back at the level he's been playing at, that guy needs his knees more than most. Moss is going to start slowing down sooner or later and I'd be shocked if he was back for 2011. If you can land Boldin you do it, because you may not be able to fill that hole when you need it most.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-05-2010 at 05:41 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #418
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Ravens get: Anquan Boldin, 2010 5th round pick
Cardinals get: 2010 3rd round pick, 2010 4th round pick

I'm glad he's not going to New England.

Shit .

Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #419
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'm glad to see the details for the Boldin trade. I'm assuming at this point that if the Seahawks go after Marshall that it'd be in a trade and sign (or vice versa) rather than an offer sheet, and those sorts of picks being involved would be a lot nicer than the 6th pick in the draft.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the price for Marshall would be a bit steeper than that of Boldin, but I can't imagine it'd jump to a first rounder after seeing this deal.

At least I hope not :S
Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #420
Izulde
Head Coach

I really would've have liked to see the Dolphins get Boldin, but as long as he didn't become a Patriot, it's okay.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #421
kingfc22
Head Coach

And the Cardinals get weaker. Yay!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #422
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Seriously - that's a hell of a deal for Baltimore. Boldin got less guaranteed money than Nate Burelson, and for a 3 and a 4? How did NE not give up one of their three second-round picks?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #423
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isn't the correct move for the Seahwaks to work out a deal with Marshall. Then have the Chargers make the offer. The chargers then give up two picks, but get the worse of the two Seahawks selections?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #424
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just using the chargers as an example of course. The Seahawks could get any team in the bottom third of the draft to do the dirty work for them.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #425
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
WTF was he doing in Milledgeville, GA? That place is in the middle of nowhere.

I'd been wondering that, turns out he owns a home at Lake Oconee.

But trolling for chicks at the Capital City Club in Milledgeville? Still, even if it is the closest available poontang, that's still just "damn".
Old 03-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #426
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
assuming they don't lose Wilfork(please, please, please).

Book it...5yrs - $40.0 million, $25 guaranteed.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 03-05-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #427
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Book it...5yrs - $40.0 million, $25 guaranteed.

Done and done.

Quote:
The New England Patriots have paid big money to their big man in the middle by inking nose tackle Vince Wilfork to a five-year, $40 million extension today, according to a league source.

"We are pleased to say we will be here for many more years to come," Wilfork said on his Twitter account.

The deal includes an $18 million signing bonus and $25 million guaranteed, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #428
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

Nice use of the royal we by Wilfork there.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #429
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

It's him and his wife talking, they release these joint statements over twitter.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #430
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Seriously - that's a hell of a deal for Baltimore. Boldin got less guaranteed money than Nate Burelson, and for a 3 and a 4? How did NE not give up one of their three second-round picks?

Yeah it kills me that Cincy sat passively on the sidelines while the Ravens added a Pro Bowl WR.

Honestly, I don't know why the Cardinals didn't leak that offer and drive the bargaining higher. Seems strange that they settled for so little so quickly.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #431
Thomkal
Head Coach

well not a very happy day for my fellow Cards fans, losing Boldin and probably Dansby and Rolle by the end of the day tomorrow. Cards probably waited too long to trade Boldin when it became clear they were never going to give him an extension, and didn't get near the value they could have as a result. Still the extra draft picks will be very welcome given all the holes they need to fill. Had a lot of great moments in Arizona, one bad one, and a lot of nagging injuries. Hope he stays healthy in Baltimore.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #432
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL, so please explain what is so great about it then?

Every other year the top teams get to sign free agents if they are under the cap however this ONE year they decide to make this exception putting a freeze on the bottom 8 teams in other words screwing

1. New Orleans
2. Indy
3. Minnesota
4. Jets

In a big way

while screwing
5. Arizona
6. Dallas
7. San Diego
8. Baltimore

in a smaller way.

Ummm my point was that i like the idea of the rule and i'd like to see it implemented every year.

although given the salary cap there's less need for that type of rule in the NFL than there would be in say...MLB
Old 03-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #433
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

seriously *sighs*
Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #434
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

There is no cap. They will be able to sign a replacement for Taylor. Probably Tomlinson or Westbrook and they will be done.

And I dont think I was really whining. The Vikings dont need a hell of a lot that they could get in free agency anyway. I am sure the Ravens or Cardinals would like to do something though.

The system is just flawed in that this will be the only year of it.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #435
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

Yes

But each time they had made the playoffs in the prior 8-9 years they were probably the worst team in the playoffs and had no real chance of winning the conference.

I realize some fans of other teams get insulted by this. The fact is the Vikings make the playoffs quite often and never get anywhere so it is very frustrating.

I would rather win 1 super bowl in 45 years and make the playoffs 1 time over getting to the playoffs 20+ times and never winning a Super Bowl. Atleast when your team is bad every year you dont have high expectations.

You'd be hard pressed to find a fan base that has went through more frustration than Vikings fans. 0-4 in Super Bowls and have now lost their last 5 conference championships including 2 in OT.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-05-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #436
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There is no cap. They will be able to sign a replacement for Taylor. Probably Tomlinson or Westbrook and they will be done.

And I dont think I was really whining. The Vikings dont need a hell of a lot that they could get in free agency anyway. I am sure the Ravens or Cardinals would like to do something though.

The system is just flawed in that this will be the only year of it.

No, you're definitely whining (without any rationale) because your team is being penalized by the rules they agreed to. It was meant (from the NFL's disorted sense) to prevent a dominant team from loading up for another run; a big part of what the NFL sells (I don't agree that's it true, but they sell) is that "everyone has a shot at success."
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #437
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No, you're definitely whining (without any rationale) because your team is being penalized by the rules they agreed to. It was meant (from the NFL's disorted sense) to prevent a dominant team from loading up for another run; a big part of what the NFL sells (I don't agree that's it true, but they sell) is that "everyone has a shot at success."

Its a one time thing. They didnt have this rule last year and they wont have it next year.

I'd be all for it IF they agreed to keep it. Players union will never go for it though.

I am sure they put it in place to prevent the Cowboys from buying up all the talent in case it did come to this.(which it did)

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-05-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #438
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Its a one time thing. They didnt have this rule last year and they wont have it next year.

I'd be all for it IF they agreed to keep it.

I am sure they put it in place to prevent the Cowboys from buying up all the talent in case it did come to this.(which it did)

wahhhh wahhhh wahhhhh

somebody call the whambulance.

if you don't like it i suggest you boycott the NFL until the Vikings agree to leave the league and form their own league.

All the owners agreed to the rule.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #439
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
wahhhh wahhhh wahhhhh

somebody call the whambulance.

if you don't like it i suggest you boycott the NFL until the Vikings agree to leave the league and form their own league.

All the owners agreed to the rule.

Kindly go fuck yourself.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #440
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kindly go fuck yourself.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #441
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well, you don't always have to fuck yourself hard.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #442
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that's about all the fuckin i'm getting these days so ummm...yeah. although i guess since there's no actual penetration it's not fucking...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #443
sabotai
General Manager

Rolle to the Giants: Giants on a Rolle: Sign safety for $37 million

5 year, $37 million deal. $15 mil guaranteed.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #444
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Good signing for them.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #445
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

In other news, Philly sports radio is talking all about the huge amount of nothing the Eagles did today.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #446
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Rolle to the Giants: Giants on a Rolle: Sign safety for $37 million

5 year, $37 million deal. $15 mil guaranteed.

Son of a bitch! I thought sure he was gonna go to Miami.

We better get Dansby now.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #447
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Son of a bitch! I thought sure he was gonna go to Miami.

We better get Dansby now.

Miami did sign Dansby. 5-year, $43 million.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #448
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Miami did sign Dansby. 5-year, $43 million.

Yeah, just saw that on SI's website. Great to hear. At least we got 1 of the 2 we were targeting. Means we have more flexibility going into the draft now.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #449
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Monster signing for the Giants. Phillips comes back healthy and we go corner in first round we become title contenders again.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #450
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I like what the Falcons have done so far. Robinson and Williams will be a real one/two corners going into the season. The secondary looks much improved over last year. The defense in general gets better because of all the youth on that side of the ball, plus we get back our first rounder from last year that was out all season.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote