Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Vitamins

I've taken them off and on for a number of years now. I've also taken the single capsule multi-vitamins, and the multi-vitamin packs (6 different pills per day). I want to get started on them again, but have a couple of simple questions. How do you decide which one to take? And how do you really know how effective they are?

As I am on the downhill side heading towards 50, I'm also looking at some of the brands that offer additional supplements/nutrients that are more important for older men.

I used to take the GNC multi-vitamin. I've taken Centrum. And now a buddy of mine wants me to start on Wellavoh (which is the Trivita brand of multi-nutrients). The costs range from $40-$50/month for some of these down to $20/100 capsules (basically a 3-month supply).

What do you use? And how do you determine if they "work"?

tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
DanGarion
Coordinator

I read recently in Consumer Reports that the average person has no need for vitamin supplements...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not trying to sound snarky but I would just ask your doctor.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I read recently in Consumer Reports that the average person has no need for vitamin supplements...

Not only that, but that most vitamins you'll see at the stores are not controlled by FDA or anything and, except for certain brands, are not guaranteed/verified to have in them what they say they have. I only take a multi-vitamin (though since I've stopped drinking as much milk, I am contemplating adding a calcium supplement), I look for the USP logo (though it verifies the contents, it costs money, so just because it isn't there doesn't mean the vitamin isn't good....): USP Verified Dietary Supplements

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Autumn
Head Coach

I think depending where you live vitamin D can be a good bet. In New England studies have shown taht nobody gets enough vitamin D through sunlight and diet, so I think that's important. The rest can depend on your diet, I think. If yo'ure vegetarian you'll probably want to take B-12, etc. If you don't eat a lot of fruit you might want to take vitamin C, etc.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

Vitamin D pretty much kills any cold I've ever gotten in about a day.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Denial Of Freedom
n00b

I would suggest checking out this site and possibly the book Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements by Lyle MacWilliam. Vitamins can be a great help, one highly recommended company is USANA. There multivitamin Essentials is one of, if not the best, multivitamin on the market for a reasonable price. If you would like they have other quality vitamins for vision, joints, etc available as well.
Denial Of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
gkb
High School Varsity

This is a "balloon race" based on a Google spreadsheet. It shows the effectiveness of various supplements. It doesn't show multi-vitamins, but if there's something specific you're worried about (e.g. high blood pressure, cholesterol, etc) you can see what is most effective for that.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/
Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Vitamin D pretty much kills any cold I've ever gotten in about a day.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... placebos...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

I'm not sure that vitamin D can be metabolized quickly enough to work to stop a cold that's already in your system. However, I think that vitamin D is widely understood to be important in immune function and is recommended as a simple method to increase immune response.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Heh

Last edited by MrBug708 : 09-02-2010 at 07:55 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #12
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I'm not sure that vitamin D can be metabolized quickly enough to work to stop a cold that's already in your system. However, I think that vitamin D is widely understood to be important in immune function and is recommended as a simple method to increase immune response.
I know it has some real effects - unlike echinacea and the herbal supplement market. I'm just saying that taking Vitamin C after you have a cold and seeing the cold disappear a day or two later is not exactly cause for scientifically valid causation.

(I also do believe in the power of placebos and, for lack of a better term, positive thinking when it comes to minor ailments. Well, that and 8 hours of sleep.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote