Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

Fabtasy Football question

Havent played in a while but joing a 20 dollar per league. I also dont follow the NFL very well but know the basics of players. Is there any players I should avoid due to injury or something drastically changing? IE - Dont pick Matt Leinart as he has been released

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Havent played in a while but joing a 20 dollar per league. I also dont follow the NFL very well but know the basics of players. Is there any players I should avoid due to injury or something drastically changing? IE - Dont pick Matt Leinart as he has been released

When's the draft? Because this list could be a long one, based on what counts as "something drastically changing". You should go buy one of the fantasy mags and study up a bit, if possible.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's today, it's not really a hardcore league. I was just hoping for a quick list of players hurt
Old 09-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
When's the draft? Because this list could be a long one, based on what counts as "something drastically changing". You should go buy one of the fantasy mags and study up a bit, if possible.

No offense but I think this is terrible advice. Those mags are all 2-3 months old.

You can do a player search on yahoo sports and get info.

Off the top of my head avoid Sidney Rice, Fred Lewis, Vincent Jackson...
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Danny
Head Coach

Avoid these guys as well

Out for the Year
Donnie Avery
Monterio Hardesty

Recently released
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

1. Know your leagues scoring. If QB's are 4 pts and 1 pt per 25 yard then they are of less value then a good RB. Keep that in mind.

2. Use the below ADP chart to do a quick reference on a players value

hxxp://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php - Keep one of these handy. Would be great if you had a laptop handy during the draft. Could easily CTRL+F a player. It gives you the average draft position of players in internet wide mock drafts. A good starting point when looking at a player to see if you should take him now, or if you can wait. Obviously if your draft is going one way with certain runs on positions you can't follow ADP all the way. It's just a good starting point.

3. Use these for reference.

hxxp://football.razzball.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Fantasy-Football%20PPR%20Tiers.htm - Keep one of these handy.

hxxp://www.fftoday.com/rankings/10_rankings_print.htm - similar to above

4. A very basic strategy would be if your top 5 I'd draft something like RB-RB-WR or RB-WR-WR. Me personally? I tend to wait on QB's. I dont need a stud. Others opinions may vary. Get Joe Flacco. You should be fine.

Avoid:
QB Matt Leinart ARI
RB Fred Jackson BUF
RB Marshawn Lynch BUF (both Lynch and Jackson were hurt and may have trouble getting their jobs back if C.J. Spiller is special)
RB Jonathan Stewart CAR
RB Ben Tate HOU
WR Sidney Rice MIN
WR Donnie Avery STL
WR Antonio Bryant CIN/F.A
WR Donte Stallworth BAL
RB Montario Hardesty CLE
RB LenDale White DEN
WR Percy Harvin MIN (Migraines. This may be nothing, as it may be resolved by the time the season starts but its something to think about)
WR Demaryius Thomas DEN (Its up in the air how serious his injury is but the doubt is enough for me to not draft him)
WR Larry Fitzgerald ARI ( while no serious injury news, the clusterfuck that is ARI would make me draft another top tier WR then him)
QB Donovan McNabb WAS (bum ankle. May turn out to be alright but his first few weeks could be rusty)
RB Brandon Jacobs NYG (If you draft him, expect nothing more then 3RB numbers)
RB Knowshon Moreno DEN (Bruised. LenDale White's signing was a scary thing for Moreno owners, but with White out it will help Moreno. But they signed White for a reason and I just have a bad feeling about Moreno)
RB Darren McFadden OAK (Has yet to prove anything)
RB Beanie Wells ARI (Had some hype going into this season but hasn't proven anything)
Dallas Running Backs (I am a Dallas fan, and I am nervous right now about the offensive line.)
WR Dwayne Bowe (I think he is overrated. Others may disagree. Could be a good 3WR tho)
WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh SEA
WR Kenny Britt TEN

Suspended Players

WR Santonio Holmes NYJ (4 Weeks)
QB Ben Rapelisburger PIT (4 Weeks) (Could be a potential GREAT backup QB to get later on in the draft as he could be a top 6 or so QB when he comes back)
WR Vincent Jackson SD (suspended through week 4 and on the trade block and in a contract dispute)

Potential steals depending upon your fellow league mates:
RB HOU Arian Foster
WR CHI Johnny Knox
RB DET Jahvid Best
RB Buf C.J Spiller
QB Bal Joe Flacco
WR TB Mike Williams
WR PIT Mike wallace
WR JAX Mike Thomasi
TE GB Jermichael FInley
WR CLE Mohamed Massaquoi
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Oh. A casual, who gives a shit league my advice may have been a little overkill then hehe.

(I've been meaning to put together a quick who-to-avoid and who-to-watch for my draft tomorrow so I took this time to put my little cheatsheat together )
Old 09-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

Thanks guys, just didnt want to be an idiot for drafting Rice and thinking...oops.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
No offense but I think this is terrible advice. Those mags are all 2-3 months old.

You can do a player search on yahoo sports and get info.

Off the top of my head avoid Sidney Rice, Fred Lewis, Vincent Jackson...

It's not terrible as starting advice. That's why I say to study up. Use that as a guide, because those mags can give you the broad picture pretty good, even now. Then you study up to see what's happened since and where the magazine is wrong, and to adjust for injuries and preseason and what not.

I would agree with you if I said "Get a magazine", and that's it. But I didn't just say that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Axxon
Pro Starter

What is this fabasty football about anyway? It sounds like fun. Anyone have a link?
Old 09-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Thanks guys, just didnt want to be an idiot for drafting Rice and thinking...oops.

No, that would be me. SIGH
Old 09-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
Danny
Head Coach

I wouldn't stick to Scoobz avoid list. There are a lot good players in there would be worth a pick if they fall a little bit.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I wouldn't stick to Scoobz avoid list. There are a lot good players in there would be worth a pick if they fall a little bit.

I knew there would be disagreement. And you're certainly right about at later stages certain players can actually be steals. At the ADP for some of those players I'd rather take others, but to each their own.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I knew there would be disagreement. And you're certainly right about at later stages certain players can actually be steals. At the ADP for some of those players I'd rather take others, but to each their own.

I actually agree with your evaluations and the only player I've drafted out of that list is Fred Jackson on one team who I got in the 14th round or something. I'm just saying he shouldn't "avoid" all those guys necessarily. Maybe "draft with caution"

Last edited by Danny : 09-04-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
What is this fabasty football about anyway? It sounds like fun. Anyone have a link?

It's fantasy football for those that have colds.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Life is just a fabtasy, can you live this fabtasy life?