Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2023, 12:20 PM   #1
henry296
College Starter

5th year option

How is the salary for the 5th year option determined? i didn't look when it happened this past off season and i have a QB that is entering his 5th year and want to know what that might be while I decide about an extension. It seems like it is closer to the franchise tag than it is in real life.

Also, I don't think 1st round QBs get the automatic 5th year either.

henry296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 12:45 PM   #2
henry296
College Starter

I got to that point. It says it is the average of the top 5 and top 20. Not sure what that means. My QB ask would be 58MM. The #5 QB makes $69MM. The 20th ranked QB is 28MM. Is it the average of that range of QBs?

His extension off during free agency was only about 28MM salary cap.

I also think the NFL is based purely on salary and this appears to be cap charge.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:18 PM   #3
Caligari
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
It says it is the average of the top 5 and top 20. Not sure what that means.

I would expect that to mean that it works out the average of the top 5 salaries, and the average of the top 20 salaries, and then it averages those numbers to find the salary the QB will request.

If your top 20 players had salaries of 1, 2, 3, 4,.. 20, the average of their salaries would be 10.5, and the average of just the top 5 of them (16, 17, 18, 19, 20) would be 18. The average of 10.5 and 18 is 14.25, if you see what I mean?

Last edited by Caligari : 11-23-2023 at 08:19 PM.
Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:37 AM   #4
MartinD
High School Varsity

There are multiple levels that the fifth-year option can be set at, depending on playing time and Pro Bowl team selections, with the highest level being equal to the franchise tag salary - Over The Cap has a good explanation: https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections

(This is the RL fifth-year option, of course - while I'm not familiar with how this has been implemented in FOF9, it's likely that Jim has mirrored this in-game.)
MartinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:10 PM   #5
Passacaglia
Coordinator

It looks like the 5th year option is all salary, no bonus. As a result, it seems like you should always take that option no matter what, since if you end up not wanting the player, you can just cut him. Is there a reason not to?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote