Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2016, 05:52 AM   #1
Easy Mac

Armed "Militia" takes over wildlife refuge outpost

Well, this will be fun
Militia takes over Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters | OregonLive.com

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

Uh oh. Won't end well.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:32 AM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

I really, really, really want one of the Rep nominees to go up there and campaign with these guys, ala Huckabee and the Kentucky County Clerk.

They sound like a bunch of insurgents that need to be taught an old lesson about how the government handles insurgents.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
They sound like a bunch of insurgents that need to be taught an old lesson about how the government handles insurgents.

Oh, they'll get that lesson. No worries there.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
whomario
Pro Starter

Did i read that right, that the lightning rod in question was actually not really protesting his having to go to prison ? (and since none of the articles i read on this explains it: Why are they to go to prison, exactly ?)

also: remind me again when/where this sort of thing happened again ? Sounds awfully familiar (and i mean sth similar somewhere "in the woods" and not Waco or sth), but might be it happened in a novel i read back when ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Oh, they'll get that lesson. No worries there.

last time they did this nothing happened...

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Did i read that right, that the lightning rod in question was actually not really protesting his having to go to prison ? (and since none of the articles i read on this explains it: Why are they to go to prison, exactly ?)

also: remind me again when/where this sort of thing happened again ? Sounds awfully familiar (and i mean sth similar somewhere "in the woods" and not Waco or sth), but might be it happened in a novel i read back when ...

They were convicted of arson. Seems mainly like they were starting fires to hide evidence of elk poaching. Sometimes burning hundreds of acres and endangering firefighters already in the area. True patriots.

Edit: From this article it looks like they were poaching deer instead.

http://www.justice.gov/usao-or/pr/ea...e-years-prison

Last edited by HerRealName : 01-03-2016 at 09:47 AM.
HerRealName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Can't wait for this thread so I can see the Michael Brown FOFC posters talk about the rule of law and supporting police and vice versa.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Can't wait for this thread so I can see the Michael Brown FOFC posters talk about the rule of law and supporting police and vice versa.

False equivalence is the best equivalence.
HerRealName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait until Fox starts asking white people to condemn these actions.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Uh oh. Won't end well.
Sure it will. No one will get shot, no one will get arrested, it will all get blown over.

Meanwhile, some kid on a swing minding his busniess will get shot and killed with no provocation.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

In nearly all cases of extremism, I can at least understand where they're coming from, what their grievances are, why they're angry, and why the anger is enough to escalate to life/death levels. I read this story and I'm mainly left with a big, fat, "huh???"
Old 01-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Old 01-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #14
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
In nearly all cases of extremism, I can at least understand where they're coming from, what their grievances are, why they're angry, and why the anger is enough to escalate to life/death levels. I read this story and I'm mainly left with a big, fat, "huh???"

They've worked it up in their heads, along with the tea party movement in general, that they are the true champions of liberty and that the tyranny of government oppression, whatever that means here in the US, must be stopped.

They've essentially conquered territory, declared a caliphate, and encouraged others to join them. It's our very own, homegrown, ISIS group. Yippee.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #15
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I just watched every minute of that. Twice. And I'm left with...
Quote:
In nearly all cases of extremism, I can at least understand where they're coming from, what their grievances are, why they're angry, and why the anger is enough to escalate to life/death levels. I read this story watch that video and I'm mainly left with a big, fat, "huh???"
Old 01-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #16
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I feel for the guy's family. He sees this as so important he left them alone for the holidays and he certainly seems like he's looking for a violent resolution to the event. He could do a lot more good staying at home and helping his daughters and wife.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #17
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Nothing will happen because for some reason our government is afraid of confronting these whackjobs.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #18
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Thanks wikipedia

Bundy standoff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #19
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm opposed to escalating the violence. If people start shooting that will put a lot of law enforcement in the line of fire. Waiting for this to die down doesn't hurt much of anything and discredits their "cause" far better than a Waco type ending.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm not opposed to violence. There's a point where waiting for it to die down is seen more as passive acceptance and it gives the movement a toehold in the area and in society in general. Crush it out right now and dare them to try it again. A continued attitude of patience will only embolden them.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #21
Dutch
"Dutch"

They are attempting to turn a small local issue into a national crisis. It's simply not going to work. The best they can hope for is a little media sensationalism. They should get that...but that's it.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #22
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What do you think attracts more people, fighting a violent government or camping through winter in a nature refuge?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #23
PilotMan
Head Coach

They and everyone with them already believe that they are fighting the government, violent or not. The more time they have to hold, the more that it looks like nothing is being done, the more time they have to draw national attention and potentially anyone else dumb enough to join them.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #24
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
They and everyone with them already believe that they are fighting the government, violent or not. The more time they have to hold, the more that it looks like nothing is being done, the more time they have to draw national attention and potentially anyone else dumb enough to join them.
Would they though? Seems like for most of us, it'd be a bunch of dudes camping out in the woods in Oregon for some vague "cause," and the media would lose interest because stories about it wouldn't generate clicks. That said, I do have some concerns about the principle of letting people take over government-owner property without any pushback. *shurg*

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-03-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #25
whomario
Pro Starter

They are not actually threatening any lives right now, correct ? In the long run i am pretty sure that responding to this with immediate violence without trying their damndest to find other solutions is a sure-fire way to get people on the fringe in the region to get radicalized. Oh, there likely would be more people afraid and "not dare to try again", but it will also create a bunch more radicals. As it always does when you go to a violent solution in any conflict ever. There is always a point where you can not avoid it, but i think it is perfectly valid to still try an alternative strategy at this point.

Too bad this isn´t the Amazon or the Sundarbans, that´d make this die a lot quicker.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-03-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #26
PilotMan
Head Coach

I guess that depends on the media, what kind of coverage they get, and what kind of social media they use. My facebook hasn't blown up with idiots yet, but this is Kentucky, it's only a matter of time.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #27
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would they though? Seems like for most of us, it'd be a bunch of dudes camping out in the woods in Oregon for some vague "cause," and the media would lose interest because stories about it wouldn't generate clicks. That said, I do have some concerns about the principle of letting people take over government-owner property without any pushback. *shurg*

I think you file charges and arrest them eventually, but I'm generally in favor of de-escaltion when lives are not at immediate risk.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #28
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I agree woith shutting it down now.

For example, the government backed down to the Bundy armed protesters and stopped rounding up his cattle, and ended a federally sanctioned way to stop.. As are result of this "victory against the government" there were shootings and such.

Go in there, and take them down. Don't be pansies.

In the standoff mentioned above, aw enforcement officials weren't wearing protective gear as the ranchers and militia got snipers into position. No gear why? They didn;t want to seem provocative. Go in and just end it.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #29
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I think you file charges and arrest them eventually, but I'm generally in favor of de-escaltion when lives are not at immediate risk.

Agreed, need to talk and not escalate, there may not be civilian lives at risk but there may be LEO lives at risk if they go in now.

IMO, there will be a time to take action when talking fails but not immediately.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #30
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Stay back, cut the power and water and I bet this is over fairly quickly. This isn't a situation where they have months of supplies stockpiled in the building.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #31
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Stay back, cut the power and water and I bet this is over fairly quickly. This isn't a situation where they have months of supplies stockpiled in the building.

But they've already said they have supplies and a generator and by their own word are prepared to hold it for "years."

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #32
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I seriously doubt they have even enough supplies to last more than a month. Looking at their social media posts, it's clear they want a violent confrontation.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #33
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bingo. The authorities going in with guns blazing just plays into the paranoia of these groups. Cut their power and supplies, wait them out, arrest them and deal with them in the court room. Sure, they'll play up the trials as much as they can, but it will have far less chance of stirring up sympathy than going after them with force. And of course it will be safer for all involved.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #34
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

My big takeaway is I need to change the constitution books I buy for my government class. (It's from the heritage foundation, I like it because it does not give titles or summaries- I make my student do that)
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #35
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

For people that seem to hate big government, they love to suck off the teet of it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:30 PM   #36
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Agreed, need to talk and not escalate, there may not be civilian lives at risk but there may be LEO lives at risk if they go in now.

Wait, I thought LEO lives were always at risk?
Old 01-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #37
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Wait, I thought LEO lives were always at risk?

How about "there is a higher risk to LEO's getting injured right now"?
Old 01-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #38
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is less a job for local law enforcement and more a job for the military.

Like Steam?

Old 01-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #39
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
How about "there is a higher risk to LEO's getting injured right now"?

So armed white prepper/militia sorts are more risky than 12yo with toy guns? Huh.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #40
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This is less a job for local law enforcement and more a job for the military.

But yes, I agree with this. Especially if we're talking federal grounds.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:46 PM   #41
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
So armed white prepper/militia sorts are more risky than 12yo with toy guns? Huh.

Um ... why don't you take this to another thread?
Old 01-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #42
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'll comment where I want, thanks.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #43
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I read the comments on Yahoo!, one that stood out the most was: "If this guy was born in another country he'd be a suicide bomber..."

Pretty accurate.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #44
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'll comment where I want, thanks.

Of course. Just leave me out of your trolling.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #45
cuervo72
Head Coach

I say let them sit there, seize whatever property they have, and blow up their pickup trucks.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #46
cuervo72
Head Coach

I don't think it's exactly trolling to point out that a goodly part of the population thinks that law enforcement is a really dangerous job* - to the point that they have near impunity for pulling and discharging their weapons - yet a legitimate threat that emerges can be met with the sentiment of whoa, hey - let's think about this, this might be dangerous. Which of course it is, but it's one of the minority cases where LEO may not hold an edge.

* First, it's consistently ranked behind things like a pilot, or some types of construction worker. Second, they know this is what they are signing up for, yes?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-03-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: removing quote, leaving others out of this
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #47
whomario
Pro Starter

So you are saying that because some Idiot cop/police force in Whereevertown abuses his Power it should be ok to sent some other LEO into an armed confrontation ?

Last edited by whomario : 01-03-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #48
cuervo72
Head Coach

No, I said earlier in the thread that I think any response should be a federal one (though I'd also like to point out that military personnel = people, the same as is law enforcement).

This is more a comment on how many are behind LEO banging down doors and busting heads and coming in guns a-blazin' in raids of houses, but aren't so much in cases like this. Which makes me think hey, maybe those other raids aren't quite as dangerous as some want us to believe.

I'll abandon this argument now though as it has strayed from the specific situation.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #49
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
So you are saying that because some Idiot cop/police force in Whereevertown abuses his Power it should be ok to sent some other LEO into an armed confrontation ?

No, he's saying we should ban pickup trucks and/or white people.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #50
cuervo72
Head Coach

Taking out their pickup trucks would be hitting them where it hurts. (I learned this from country music.)