Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #1
mckerney
Coordinator

"Take a shotgun and shoot him in the head"

Friday, August 1

Chiefs believe tackle by Jones was dirty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

RIVER FALLS, Wis. -- Dick Vermeil was angry after a Vikings rookie injured one of his wide receivers during a intersquad scrimmage. Given current news headlines coming out of Baylor University, perhaps the Chiefs coach should have expressed himself in a different way.

After Kansas City backup receiver Dameane Douglas appeared to severely injure his lower leg on a hit by Vikings rookie free-agent cornerback Rushen Jones during a passing scrimmage, Vermeil, in front of assembled reporters, yelled to the Minnesota trainer that the Vikings should take a shotgun and "shoot (Jones) in the head," the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported on Friday.

The extent of Douglas' injury was not immediately known, but Vermeil told the paper "it was not good."

According to the paper, Jones tackled Douglas as Douglas caught a 15-yard pass. Douglas' knees immediately buckled.

The paper reported that Douglas and his teammates immediately began to scream at Jones after the play. Douglas looked at Jones and Vikings cornerback Carey Scott and said, "Which one of you (expletive) are going to pay my bills?" according to the Pioneer Press.

Several neutral observers thought Jones' play was aggressive but not malicious. Scott, who was near the play, told the Pioneer Press that the hit was not dirty.

Jones, a rookie from Vanderbilt, was unavailable for comment.

Vermeil and Tice did not talk about the play after the scrimmage, according to the paper. The teams play an exhibition game Aug. 16 in Kansas City and a regular-season game Dec. 20 in Minnesota.

Well, these two teams will probably never practice together again, though their preseason game will be rather interesting to say the least.

Last edited by mckerney : 08-01-2003 at 04:03 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:11 PM   #2
tucker342
Pro Starter

Give me a break, accidents happen! Of course the guy is going to be agressive, he's trying to win himself a job!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

[cue for joke]Well, this is the first time the Vikings have shut down an opposing reciever in a while[/cue for joke]

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 04:15 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I give Vermeil an A for creative phrase turning on the spot.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:33 PM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Vikings can go out and get a shotgun, but if draft day is any indication they'll probably have trouble pulling the trigger.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

'put a gun to my head and paint the walls with my brains'
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:40 PM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Here's the funny thing: the Vikings and the other "neutral" observers (I'm assuming Vikings beat writers) said the hit was "aggressive" but not "dirty."

It was a non-contact drill. When you tackle someone not wearing pads and drive them to the ground in a non-contact drill, isn't that the very definition of dirty?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:44 PM   #8
JohnnyBenson
n00b

Uh Huh!
#10 Valvoline Pontiac

Driver of #10 Valvoline FOF car

Owner of Money Motorsports
JohnnyBenson is offline   Reply With Quote