Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
WrongWay
Banned

"Serenity (aka "Firefly" the movie)" on DVD.

Stole the title from this thread.
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...light=serenity

Anyway, what the hell hapened with Serenity's DVD sales? The movie came out on DVD last week and only managed to place 25th for its opening week with a grand total of 1.6m in DVD sales.

I was expecting Serenity with all its Sci-Fi fans to hit the #1 position for DVD sales in its opening week. Even bad Sci-Fi movies seem to do well on the DVD market. I wonder what happened.

Week ending Dec 25th.

WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

I think the movie wasn't that good. The show was much better.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
WrongWay
Banned

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/rentals
Quote:
1. New Four Brothers (2005) 5 $8.79M $8.8M Buy
2. New Must Love Dogs (2005) 5 $7.96M $8M Buy
3. New The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) 5 $7.14M $7.1M Buy
4. 1 The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) 12 $6.74M $14.9M Buy
5. 2 Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) 26 $6.1M $36.9M Buy
6. 4 Cinderella Man (2005) 19 $5.69M $21.5M Buy
7. 6 The Island (2005) 12 $5.53M $12.2M Buy
8. 3 Fantastic Four (2005) 19 $5.14M $22.4M Buy
9. New Rebound (2005) 5 $5M $5M Buy
10. 5 The Dukes of Hazzard (2005) 19 $4.42M $20.1M Buy
11. 9 Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (2005) 26 $4.41M $26.5M Buy
12. New The Brothers Grimm (2005) 5 $4.22M $4.2M Buy
13. 7 Bad News Bears (2005) 12 $3.99M $10.2M Buy
14. 10 The Polar Express (2004) 33 $3.78M $39.2M Buy
15. 8 War of the Worlds (2005) 33 $3.68M $46M Buy
16. 11 Marche de l'empereur, La (2005) 26 $3.44M $21M Buy
17. 12 Roll Bounce (2005) 12 $3.35M $7.4M Buy
18. 15 Christmas with the Kranks (2004) 47 $2.78M $40.4M Buy
19. 13 Stealth (2005) 40 $2.32M $39.8M Buy
20. 13 Sky High (2005) 26 $2.3M $16.2M Buy
21. 17 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) 47 $2.08M $52.4M Buy
21. 16 The Skeleton Key (2005) 40 $2.08M $30.3M Buy
23. 19 The Honeymooners (2005) 33 $2M $19.1M Buy
24. 18 Madagascar (2005) 40 $1.72M $25M Buy
25. New Serenity (2005) 5 $1.64M $1.6M Buy
Old 01-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #4
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I don't get it. This is my most favorite tv show of all time... am I that out of touch with quality?

I agree it wasn't the best movie out there, but I am hungry for any story involving this group of characters and this setting.

**shrugs**

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

There weren't as many fans as the fanboys wanted to believe. The movie didn't do so well in ticket sales, so why would it do well in DVD sales? I don't think the Firefly DVDs did all that well... and of course we know that that the show was canned for low ratings.

There are a number of people who act like its the best thing since sliced bread, but people just didn't go for it.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
Bonegavel

those are rental figures. I think the sales figures are better.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #7
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

FWIW, Serenity is #3 on Amazon among all DVD's with Firefly being #4.
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Stole the title from this thread.
http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...light=serenity

Anyway, what the hell hapened with Serenity's DVD sales? The movie came out on DVD last week and only managed to place 25th for its opening week with a grand total of 1.6m in DVD sales.

I was expecting Serenity with all its Sci-Fi fans to hit the #1 position for DVD sales in its opening week. Even bad Sci-Fi movies seem to do well on the DVD market. I wonder what happened.

Week ending Dec 25th.

Hmm... Let's check your numbers and sources.

According to this site:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...irst_alert.jsp

Serenity at #6 in sales.

I think that 25th place figure is for rentals and not sales. Indeed it is...

http://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/rentals

Rentals are close to meaningless now of days. Almost all DVD money is made off of sales.

You rarely fail live up to your FOFC handle. That's something, I guess.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
WrongWay
Banned

Sorry guys those are rental numbers.

I just always use the IMDB site to fill my Netflix Que and was shocked to see Serenity open at 25th.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I was gonna say...

Even my little brother wanted this DVD for Christmas and he had never heard of the TV Series. Of course I told him all about it.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
There weren't as many fans as the fanboys wanted to believe. The movie didn't do so well in ticket sales, so why would it do well in DVD sales? I don't think the Firefly DVDs did all that well... and of course we know that that the show was canned for low ratings.

There are a number of people who act like its the best thing since sliced bread, but people just didn't go for it.

Firefly DVDs did do all that well. In fact, years later, they are still doing that well. As of September 2005, about 500,000 DVDs had been sold. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly...sion_series%29). I am no industry expert, but that seems like quite a bit to me.

It was a great show and, no, people didn't go for it, because they were too busy watching "American Idol", "The Bachelor", and "Dance With The Stars". What's popular and what's good are often quite different. The poor ratings were also not helped by the fact Fox refused to air the episodes in order and kept moving it's time and day around.

The movie did very poorly in ticket sales, which, while disappointing to its fan, isn't too surprising. The movie had zero star power and the special effect weren't all that special. Those kind of sci-fi movies just don't have that much appeal to the average joe. I know plenty of people who would have enjoyed the movie, friends who like sci-fi/fantasy/action moives, but just didn't go see it.

The movie was good, not great, but good. The show was better.

It's doing much better on DVD than it did at the theater.

That is all.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

Also, it's been proven time and time again thatISiddiqui is like as slightly less insane "Bubba Wheels" when it comes to sci-fi movies/television series.

For pretty much everything else, my man is right on.

Heh, nobody's perfect.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
Joe
Pro Starter

the movie was horrible. anyone who bought it was insane.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Firefly fans point to Family Guy as a show with strong DVD sales that came back. For comparison, Family Guy some 2.2 million DVDs in its first year. Half a mil is a decent amount in 2 years, but nothing special.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
Huh?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #16
Travis
Pro Rookie

Yeah, the fact Firefly was cancelled because Fox aired it horribly out of order and screwed with it's timeslot meant that the show itself was flawed, not the network running it.

Give me a break. It may not be the best show of all time, but the biggest problems with it were network execs deciding they knew how to promote it better than Whedon.

And count me among the insane that bought the DVD. Also pre-count my other personalities as insane as well as I'll buy any future special edition that comes out in the future as well. I quite enjoyed the series and the movie and have no problem in supporting it with my hard earned dollar.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #17
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

yet further proof that our esteemed (or is it steamed?) president is an idiot.....

Excellent movie, great storyline in general, I'll be owning the series and film as soon as I can afford them.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #18
Joe
Pro Starter

yeah
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:25 AM   #19
Fouts
College Starter

I just watched Serenity and enjoyed it very much. Then again, I am a sucker for sci-fi movies. Going to look for the Firefly DVD to see where this all started.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Some motherfucker is always trying to ice skate up hill.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #21
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Serenity Rocked and River is a badass.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #22
Calis
College Starter

The boxed set of Firefly is still #4 in DVD sales at Amazon, which means it's doing pretty well.

#3? Serenity.

And yes, the movie was good, very good even. Shame it did so poorly, but it had to be expected. I do think DVD sales are going well though and will continue. Hell, the series is still selling very well, so that's good.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #23
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, the series was Out of Stock on walmart.com

They had a 19.99 price tag on it and I was trying to hit it! But like i said, out of stock and no 'raincheck' option.

The price is back up to 35.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

When I went to Best Buy to get it a week or so back, they were sold out. It is high on the sales list, but I wonder if it would be even higher if stores stocked more. I had to order from Amazon.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #25
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Yeah, the fact Firefly was cancelled because Fox aired it horribly out of order and screwed with it's timeslot meant that the show itself was flawed, not the network running it.

Give me a break. It may not be the best show of all time, but the biggest problems with it were network execs deciding they knew how to promote it better than Whedon.

And count me among the insane that bought the DVD. Also pre-count my other personalities as insane as well as I'll buy any future special edition that comes out in the future as well. I quite enjoyed the series and the movie and have no problem in supporting it with my hard earned dollar.

Ditto. One of the best shows on TV I can ever recall. Better than the reality shit du jour that caters to the Bubba's of the world.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #26
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Damn it! I missed the 19.95 sale Walmart.com had on the DVD TV Series... Bummer...
Old 01-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #27
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1
Damn it! I missed the 19.95 sale Walmart.com had on the DVD TV Series... Bummer...
holy crapsters. I already said this once in this thread....

no wonder i suck at taking tests.. i can't remember shit
Old 01-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #28
Bonegavel

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=34083

nothing earth shattering. but I believe this to be new.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #29
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=34083

nothing earth shattering. but I believe this to be new.
Funny they don't seem to mention anything about airing season 1 on the Sci-Fi channel?

I think the huge numbers that Family Guy was putting up on Adult Swim had something to do with Fox bringing it back.

WOW. the article said Serenity only made $25 million at the box office. Why would a TV network want anything to do with a movie that ended up in the red?

Last edited by WrongWay : 01-11-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:21 PM   #30
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Funny they don't seem to mention anything about airing season 1 on the Sci-Fi channel?

I think the huge numbers that Family Guy was putting up on Adult Swim had something to do with Fox bringing it back.

WOW. the article said Serenity only made $25 million at the box office. Why would a TV network want anything to do with a movie that ended up in the red?

it made 25 milion in america... i think it just about broke even worldwide(40 million). Now after the dvd sales.... it will make plenty of profit.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #31
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Here's hoping for the best- though it works a lot better as a TV show, IMO.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:32 PM   #32
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Business Rule #73: If your business decision perplexes WrongWay, run with it.

Seriously, the fanaticism of the Browncoats means that Whedon can ink in 1.5 million-2 million sales on any mass market release of a Firefly-themed product. That isn't enough to knock Harry Potter or Star Wars off their perch, but it's enough to make bank on. Joss needs to contact Pocket Books about producing a line of original Firefly novels to keep the fanbase stoked and keep a revenue stream coming in.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #33
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
Business Rule #73: If your business decision perplexes WrongWay, run with it.

Seriously, the fanaticism of the Browncoats means that Whedon can ink in 1.5 million-2 million sales on any mass market release of a Firefly-themed product. That isn't enough to knock Harry Potter or Star Wars off their perch, but it's enough to make bank on. Joss needs to contact Pocket Books about producing a line of original Firefly novels to keep the fanbase stoked and keep a revenue stream coming in.

It looks like there probably isn't enough money/interest in bringing the show back to a major network, but I wonder if there would be enough for a cable network like the SciFi channel? It would seem like the smallish fanbase would be loyal enough to follow it anywhere.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #34
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok
it made 25 milion in america... i think it just about broke even worldwide(40 million). Now after the dvd sales.... it will make plenty of profit.
Yes, it cost about 40 million to make, but you are also going to have to add post production costs of Advertising, financing, distribution, and etc to your end cost. I am guessing the total break even mark of around 70 million for this movie.

Last edited by WrongWay : 01-11-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:42 PM   #35
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Yes, it cost about 40 million to make, but you are also going to have to add post production costs of Advertising, financing, distribution, and etc to your end cost. I am guessing the total break even mark of around 70 million for this movie.

i thought the 40 million dollar budget was for all of that?
Old 01-12-2006, 02:22 PM   #36
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok
i thought the 40 million dollar budget was for all of that?

I'd always heard 39 million for production only, so no it doesn't.

On average though from what I read movies spend about 25-30 million on advertising, etc... all those goodies, I would think Serenity was under the norm for that.

Who knows though, I think the best bet is for Joss to have a major blockbuster with Wonder Woman or something else, and use that clout to get a sequel greenlit, if he really wants to, which I gather he does.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #37
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

Serenity had about ten to fifteen million in adveritisng plus five million in other post-production costs (the actual film, stuff like that).
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #38
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Some info on the possible future of "Firefly"

Browncoats around the world cried out in despair when, due to an underwhelming performance at the box office, Joss Whedon announced that the saga of Serenity had ended. No sequels, no follow-ups, no hope. But Whedon isn't a man to let his brain-child die; the man's already resuscitated the franchise once and there's still hope for a third coming.

"A sequel's unlikely," Whedon told Empire with a note of clear regret, "but it's amazing what permutations of something can happen." But if not a theatrical encore, that leaves... yes, you guessed it, a possible return to the smaller screen. "As long as I was able to service the characters with integrity and had enough money so that I wasn't hampered, then I would love to return Serenity to TV. I love that universe; it continues and those characters live on. There could be a series, there could be a miniseries, there could be all sorts of things. I'm not ruling anything out. I'll let it simmer for a while and see if anyone calls."

As for why the film failed to rake in the cash despite uniformly glowing reviews, according to Whedon it's all in the presentation. "It's a question of marketing ultimately. The fact that I like to dance around genres with gay abandon has worked to my disadvantage. Nobody knows exactly how to market anything I do because it usually has so much in it. It has a diffuseness because of it's origin that keeps it from being the easy sell. Some people also said that you can't call an action movie 'Serenity' but I think that's still okay. What was I going to call it? 'Big Smash Bang With Boobies'? Which was, of course my second choice."

DVD sales should, however, put Serenity back in the black and when the bucks start rolling in we can only hope that one of the suits at Universal looks at the numbers, adds the success of the Firefly DVD box set and greenlights a return for Captain Reynolds and his crew. Until that time we advise Whedon to keep his phone switched on.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=17800

------------------------------------------------------------------

SCI FI.COM

12:00 AM, 10-JANUARY-06

Serenity Might Fly Again?

Loni Peristere, visual-effects supervisor for the SF movie Serenity, told SCI FI Wire that there's hope for future flights of the cast and crew of the movie, which just came out on DVD. Director Joss Whedon—who also created the canceled Fox TV show Firefly, on which the movie is based—expected that the movie might draw the low numbers it did in its theatrical release, Peristere said in an interview. But he added that the movie's sales on DVD, which came out on Dec. 20, are running neck-and-neck with the hit comedy Wedding Crashers, which bodes well for a possible Serenity sequel.

"We kind of expected this from our audience," Peristere said. "We did so well on [Amazon.com] with the Firefly box set and the performance of that helped us get the movie made. We wish the audience would get up and go to the theater, but it shows that they like to keep coming back and revisiting the world Joss created." Serenity made $25 million at the domestic box office after it was released Sept. 30.

Whedon and his crew are waiting to see how well the DVD numbers go before proceeding with a Serenity sequel, Peristere said. "We really hope to return to this work," he said. "We love the characters. It's fun storytelling, and we all love using our talents. ... It all depends on Joss. He's not giving up on the characters. He had incredible writers who had a million stories to tell, and we're all just hanging out and seeing what the world has to give us, and given the opportunity we'll make more."

In the meantime, fans of both show and movie can enjoy the DVD's various extras, which include an easter egg: a featurette about the making of the Fruity Oaty Bar commercial that appears in the film. "In the main menu, if you play around with the buttons you'll find a featurette of the Fruity Oaty Bar," Peristere revealed. (From the main menu highlight "play," then press left, which will highlight a marker on the right side of the menu; press enter to see the featurette.) "It's all a lot of fun," he said.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...d=34083&type=0

Old 01-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #39
Bonegavel

Big Smash Bang With Boobies

nice.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #40
Bonegavel

They should seriously think about doing a direct to DVD series that is the fx quality of the t.v. show to make it economical.

It seems the show is a bit too expensive for television but not popular enough for theaters but there has to be a sweet spot where they can put out a quality show and make money at the same time (which is all that matters).

As for the show being hard to pin-down, I agree totally.

I know some here will agrue vehemently against what I'm about to say, but IMHO the show manages to be trailer trash and highbrow at the same time and this is one of the main reasons the show is so great.

However, it isn't trailer trash enough for the folks that want fights and blood all the time and it isn't highbrow enough for those that want dramatic whatnot.

The t.v. show had a TON of dialogue. Normally that is bad, but somehow whedon managed to make me yearn for the dialogue parts. I hated when they stoped talking and some action sequence would start up. The characters are so great you want them to be talking and only use action as a period or exclamation point at the end of the sentence.

Like I've said before, before Firefly I thought whedon was a tool because I despised Buffy the series. I still think he is a tool, but he struck a chord in me with the Firefly universe and it's a shame that they can't find a way to make the show profitable even with the limited audience.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #41
WrongWay
Banned

I think the best bet would be the mini-series idea on Sci-Fi. Then they could sit back and judge the numbers against the BSG mini-series numbers.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #42
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

**SPOILER WARNING** **SPOILERS BELOW**

I would love to see Firefly come back in some form. I wouldn't care if it were straight to DVD, a mini-series, what have you. That said, I would have a couple of reservations depending on what they chose to do.

If the did the mini-series or whatever post-Serenity, it would be a very different feel. First, you have uber-River who appears to be pretty much un-stoppable. If the Matrix sequels taught us one thing it was that watching un-stoppable heroes fight villians is pretty boring. There are plenty of work-arounds to this given that River is quite, well, unstable. Second, and more important, is that... WASH IS FUCKING DEAD. I am still not completely over that. The show would be very different without him. He served as the ying to Zoe/Mal's yang in a lot of ways. Not having Book around would suck too, but not as much as Wash.

Granted, they could also do something between the end of the show and the begining of the movie, though much of what happened there was explained in the comics. Still, it's a sci-fi show, so they could tinker with the timeline as much as they want I reckon.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #43
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
They should seriously think about doing a direct to DVD series that is the fx quality of the t.v. show to make it economical.

It seems the show is a bit too expensive for television but not popular enough for theaters but there has to be a sweet spot where they can put out a quality show and make money at the same time (which is all that matters).

I know some here will agrue vehemently against what I'm about to say, but IMHO the show manages to be trailer trash and highbrow at the same time and this is one of the main reasons the show is so great.

However, it isn't trailer trash enough for the folks that want fights and blood all the time and it isn't highbrow enough for those that want dramatic whatnot.

The t.v. show had a TON of dialogue. Normally that is bad, but somehow whedon managed to make me yearn for the dialogue parts. I hated when they stoped talking and some action sequence would start up. The characters are so great you want them to be talking and only use action as a period or exclamation point at the end of the sentence.

Like I've said before, before Firefly I thought whedon was a tool because I despised Buffy the series. I still think he is a tool, but he struck a chord in me with the Firefly universe and it's a shame that they can't find a way to make the show profitable even with the limited audience.

I'm not sure if I'd go as far as calling it trashy, but that said, I pretty much agree with your reasoning. The best part is that it's completely intended by the writers, and even when you think you know what's about to happen, something completely different ends up happening.

For example, a great moment early in the series where it looks like there's going to be a big standoff in the cargo bay when the agent has River captive and a gun to her while Simon is trying to figure out what to do. Nice prolonged standoff coming up, well, until Mal walks on and calmly and cooly pops the guy without a word. A nice exclamation of action that drives it right back to character interaction.

Oh, question for the masses. How many have read the 3 comic series that takes place between the series and the movie?
Old 01-13-2006, 11:12 AM   #44
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Interesting- I agree with you about dialogue - to me, that makes the show run, but mixing and matching it with action is what makes it fun. Wheldon has given us such a wide universe of characters, and established them with depth, that we look forward to seeing them be thermselves.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #45
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'd go as far as calling it trashy, but that said, I pretty much agree with your reasoning. The best part is that it's completely intended by the writers, and even when you think you know what's about to happen, something completely different ends up happening.

For example, a great moment early in the series where it looks like there's going to be a big standoff in the cargo bay when the agent has River captive and a gun to her while Simon is trying to figure out what to do. Nice prolonged standoff coming up, well, until Mal walks on and calmly and cooly pops the guy without a word. A nice exclamation of action that drives it right back to character interaction.

Oh, question for the masses. How many have read the 3 comic series that takes place between the series and the movie?

Exactly the scene I was going to quote - one of my favorites, by far. I haven't read the comics, but read a synopsis of what they apparently covered.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #46
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Interesting- I agree with you about dialogue - to me, that makes the show run, but mixing and matching it with action is what makes it fun. Wheldon has given us such a wide universe of characters, and established them with depth, that we look forward to seeing them be thermselves.

Totally agree with both of you fellas. I think that's why, at least for me, that Firefly worked so much better as a TV show than a movie. I liked spending time with the characters. I liked their interactions, the dialogue, the small moments. In a 1.5-2 hour movie there just is not enough time for that, especially when you have to throw in some nifty special effects, bigger/better/faster action sequences, and establish the plot and all. While the action on the show was fine and often fun, it was by no means the strength of the show.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #47
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Totally agree with both of you fellas. I think that's why, at least for me, that Firefly worked so much better as a TV show than a movie. I liked spending time with the characters. I liked their interactions, the dialogue, the small moments. In a 1.5-2 hour movie there just is not enough time for that, especially when you have to throw in some nifty special effects, bigger/better/faster action sequences, and establish the plot and all. While the action on the show was fine and often fun, it was by no means the strength of the show.

Yup - I enjoyed the movie, but it was always headed towards an end goal, as opposed to characters being themselves, an odd job here, an odd job there. Firefly is significantly better as a TV show because of the time it allots.

Hell, I'd buy the next season (if its made) - site unseen. There's a fairly large, devoted audience of browncoats, generally in the target demographic (18-29) and I believe the income levels are slightly higher than average - I have to believe the market is strong enough as a niche.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #48
Bonegavel

Quote:

I don't mean trailer trash as in cars in the front yard on cinder blocks.

I mean the fact that most of the characters are the sort you would meet in a seedy bar rather than a fancy restaurant.

But Whedon has also given us Simon (and to a lesser extent Inara) to be in sharp contrast with that. Joss works in both sides of "tracks" very well.

Along those lines, another one of my favorite moments in the series is when Mal kicks that big dude into the engine. What a great moment, especially the reaction of the next thug. Priceless.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:34 PM   #49
Travis
Pro Rookie

Heh (spoiler alert as we recap favorite scenes).

From the movie, watching Jayne hit the clothesline, then catch the guys feet only to drive him head first into the ground, one of many, many great Jayne moments ("I'll be in my bunk" and "They're whores [Mal].........I'm in! [Jayne]"

One of my all time favorites was from the Mrs. Reynolds episode, at the very end where there's a great leadup scene between Inara and Mal where the conversation and the feel of the scene really seems to build up to a breakthrough in the relationship, only for Mal to be more of a hormone guided missile than ever before when he figures out that Inara *obviously* kissed Saffron. The way he delivers his last line and walks out in such a triumpant manner had me in tears. The engine scene was awesome as well, though at least in that case I had kind of an inkling of how it would go.

The thing about this series, as they talk about in the extras, was they never knew, week to week, if they'd get to continue it. Sure Whedon had probably 4 to 5 seasons worth of story planned out, but as much as I love the Angel series, there was not a single episode of Firefly that I didn't enjoy. Can't say that for any other series, or for 3/4 of a season for any other series (definitely no low points like the cross over for Gina Torres in Angel, worst series of episodes in their 5 seasons).

Out of the series (and I'm likely going to miss one or two as this is off the top of my head), I probably enjoyed the flashback episode (can't remember the title, the one where it's centered on Mal trying to repair the ship, starts with him falling to the deck then recaps up to that point before continuing) and Jaynestown the most. Neither are really action based in the least, but the quality of writing (as well as acting) is simply superb. They're casting for this series was perfect.

I think the saddest thing about the show being cancelled is not getting to delve into the backstories of Shepherd Book (the one I want to see the most) as well as Inara. Wash dying was absolutely stunning especially with Book already being gone. As far as River being a superhero now though, I'd have no fear that they'd find a suitable workaround for that. Heck, she's already had episodes where she has nearly offed a few of the crew as it is, so her expanding abilities may lead to more tension in that manner as I'd seriously doubt that her mental state has improved all that much yet.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #50
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Heh (spoiler alert as we recap favorite scenes).

From the movie, watching Jayne hit the clothesline, then catch the guys feet only to drive him head first into the ground, one of many, many great Jayne moments ("I'll be in my bunk" and "They're whores [Mal].........I'm in! [Jayne]"

One of my all time favorites was from the Mrs. Reynolds episode, at the very end where there's a great leadup scene between Inara and Mal where the conversation and the feel of the scene really seems to build up to a breakthrough in the relationship, only for Mal to be more of a hormone guided missile than ever before when he figures out that Inara *obviously* kissed Saffron. The way he delivers his last line and walks out in such a triumpant manner had me in tears. The engine scene was awesome as well, though at least in that case I had kind of an inkling of how it would go.

The thing about this series, as they talk about in the extras, was they never knew, week to week, if they'd get to continue it. Sure Whedon had probably 4 to 5 seasons worth of story planned out, but as much as I love the Angel series, there was not a single episode of Firefly that I didn't enjoy. Can't say that for any other series, or for 3/4 of a season for any other series (definitely no low points like the cross over for Gina Torres in Angel, worst series of episodes in their 5 seasons).

Out of the series (and I'm likely going to miss one or two as this is off the top of my head), I probably enjoyed the flashback episode (can't remember the title, the one where it's centered on Mal trying to repair the ship, starts with him falling to the deck then recaps up to that point before continuing) and Jaynestown the most. Neither are really action based in the least, but the quality of writing (as well as acting) is simply superb. They're casting for this series was perfect.

I think the saddest thing about the show being cancelled is not getting to delve into the backstories of Shepherd Book (the one I want to see the most) as well as Inara. Wash dying was absolutely stunning especially with Book already being gone. As far as River being a superhero now though, I'd have no fear that they'd find a suitable workaround for that. Heck, she's already had episodes where she has nearly offed a few of the crew as it is, so her expanding abilities may lead to more tension in that manner as I'd seriously doubt that her mental state has improved all that much yet.

You're absolutely right about that 4th season of Angel. It was definitely a low point. The whole evil/pregnant Cordelia thing sucked. Connor sucked. The Jasmine thing was god awful. It was horrible. I felt they rebounded pretty nicely in Season 5. Spike was a good addition. I really liked the final episode.

While Firefly's short run did make it hard for them to screw it up (as happened with Angel and Buffy), it's amazing how well the show hit its stride from the very first episode. I can't think of too many shows that had such a strong first season ("Lost", I think, is one). While the first seasons of Buffy and Angel were good, both shows didn't really find their "groove" until a bit later on in their runs. That is definitely true for STNG. Firefly just hit it perfectly right out of the gate. That is what made all of its fans (the Browncoats) bemoan its loss so loudly. There was just so much potential there...

As for favorite moments, there are so many it's hard for me to chose. I loved the scene in the first episode where the Alliance guy had a gun to someone's (Kaylee? River?) head and was getting ready for a big stand off when Mal and the rest came back from the exchange and Mal casually walked into the ship, drew his gun, and blew the guy away without some much as a pause. In a similar vein, I loved in War Stories when Zoe comes into Niska's place to buy back Wash and Mal and Niska starts chuckling about how it's enough money for only one of them and just as he's about to break into his diablolical monologue about forcing Zoe to pick between her captain and husband, she cuts him off and points to Wash and says, "Him. You were going to make me choose, right?" There are so many other great moments.

My favorite episodes are probably "Ariel", "Out of Gas," and "War Stories."