Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
digamma
Torchbearer

OJ

Looks like he may have done it. Who woulda thunk it?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/04/us/oj-...ife/index.html

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the fx show about the simpson case is awesome
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

He didn't tell anyone to dispose of that at any point during the trial or even do it himself after the trial? The guy is 100% guilty but this seems fishy. Like Steven Avery leaving the victim's car next to the car crusher.

As for the show, I agree it is fantastic. The Kardashian's cameos are dumb but everything else has been great. (Of course I was also in college at the time and caught more of the trial than I would like to admit) My wife falls asleep during it though so maybe it is nostalgia more than quality.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
He didn't tell anyone to dispose of that at any point during the trial or even do it himself after the trial? The guy is 100% guilty but this seems fishy. Like Steven Avery leaving the victim's car next to the car crusher.

As for the show, I agree it is fantastic. The Kardashian's cameos are dumb but everything else has been great. (Of course I was also in college at the time and caught more of the trial than I would like to admit) My wife falls asleep during it though so maybe it is nostalgia more than quality.

During the trial, that would've been a very bad idea.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Suicane75
Coordinator

I always assumed it was in the bag he gave Kardashian.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
whomario
Pro Starter

Count me surprised to learn he is actually in jail for aggravated stupidity nowadays
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
During the trial, that would've been a very bad idea.

Yeah you are right about that. I guess he was probably watched like a hawk also until he lost the house. I guess it could be the knife the more I think about it. I always figured his Vegas trial was the make-up for the murder trial anyways.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
AlexB
Pro Starter

He signed a confession years ago, so no huge shocker.

armando iannucci - oj simpson - YouTube
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
the fx show about the simpson case is awesome

David Schwimmer says "Juice" - YouTube
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The FX show is awesome but mostly because of Courtney B. Vance and Sarah Paulson. Everyone is generally terrific, other than Travolta. My god, he's a train wreck.

If there were an Emmy equivalent of the Razzies, it's entirely possible this show would win both Best and Worst Actor.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
Pyser
Pro Rookie

crazy, i think this is the best travolta has been in forever
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I refused to watch that show at first because I thought "I lived through this would could it possibly add?" and yet, I've been transfixed. Courtney B. Vance deserves all the awards for becoming Johnnie Cochrane. He's been amazing, but honestly, I don't have a bad thing to say about any of them really. Despite "knowing" who most of the characters are, I feel like they're doing a hell of a job.

I don't think Travolta is playing the source material he's got and doing so really well.

As for the knife they found belatedly, just another in the line of LAPD's greatest hits of incompetent policing.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #13
frnk55
High School Varsity

I can't watch anything with OJ. Pathetic POS and should be executed.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I heard there's no way this is the knife because it's too tiny to do the amount of damage to Nicole that was done.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #15
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
I can't watch anything with OJ. Pathetic POS and should be executed.

I can

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-06-2016 at 07:20 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #16
frnk55
High School Varsity

^I should of said after the Naked Gun. Wasn't thinking.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #17
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm loving the show too but I keep on expecting Nathan Lane to burst into song.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #18
Butter
Coordinator

Anybody watching this 30 for 30 on OJ? Pretty amazing stuff even aside from all the trial recap.

I didn't watch the FX show aside from the pilot, so can't comment on that.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #19
thesloppy
Pro Starter

as a side story, I spent the weekend of Friday June 17, 1994 camped at a friend's house in Eugene, with a bunch of friends, for that weekends trio of Grateful Dead shows. After Friday's afternoon show we wandered back to my friend's place and eventually someone turned on the TV, and we slowly started to realize that all the stations were showing some breaking car chase. A dozen hippy dipshits (myself included!) on various flavors of intoxicants & psychedelics were then forced to put together the pieces of the OJ murder. It was like the worst episode of Columbo ever. "So wait...NO! What if, umm? Check THIS out, dude....."
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #20
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Anybody watching this 30 for 30 on OJ? Pretty amazing stuff even aside from all the trial recap.

I didn't watch the FX show aside from the pilot, so can't comment on that.

Amazing indeed. I am really enjoying it.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #21
Butter
Coordinator

If you're going to watch it, I recommend going via the Watch ESPN app, as it is uncensored there.

For good and bad... especially episode 4. That was rough to watch.

Last edited by Butter : 06-15-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #22
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Not really keen to watch it on an app. What am I missing out on? Are entire scenes cut or is stuff just blurred/bleeped?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #23
Butter
Coordinator

Some of both. Hard to say without actually watching it live on ESPN what they will and won't cut. I know that Ep. 4 has some uncensored crime photos that were extremely rough. Ep. 5 has some female nudity.

Last edited by Butter : 06-16-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #24
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I hate OJ for killing the mother of his children, not admitting to it, and getting away with it for years. He is a two faced monster.

And some of them pics were just awful to see. How he could have gotten away with what he did is a great mystery. Great lawyers that turned the case into a circus and got the jury completely off topic.

Thank god he is where he belongs. Very good show but very frustrating looking back and how botched this entire case was.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 06-16-2016 at 06:47 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:04 AM   #25
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It is uncensored on demand as well. It is a very well done show. Brought back memories from the time, and even more I didn't catch.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #26
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
as a side story, I spent the weekend of Friday June 17, 1994 camped at a friend's house in Eugene, with a bunch of friends, for that weekends trio of Grateful Dead shows. After Friday's afternoon show we wandered back to my friend's place and eventually someone turned on the TV, and we slowly started to realize that all the stations were showing some breaking car chase. A dozen hippy dipshits (myself included!) on various flavors of intoxicants & psychedelics were then forced to put together the pieces of the OJ murder. It was like the worst episode of Columbo ever. "So wait...NO! What if, umm? Check THIS out, dude....."

I love hearing about Eugene and people who had more fun there than I did the 3 years I was there. Don't get me wrong - I loved the bars and downtown and being able to drive to the ocean, but I definitely didn't get the full experience being a U of O law student.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

O.J. Simpson may take paternity test to see if Khloe Kardashian is his daughter, per reports | NFL | Sporting News
Old 06-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #28
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I love hearing about Eugene and people who had more fun there than I did the 3 years I was there. Don't get me wrong - I loved the bars and downtown and being able to drive to the ocean, but I definitely didn't get the full experience being a U of O law student.

So, you're saying you weren't selling sheets of LSD on 13th st? There's rarely any real reason to leave PDX for Eugene, so I actually haven't been down there in a long time, probably not since Phil Knight's influence took over and they achieved some real athletic success, and I'd imagine it's probably a lot different than the dirty hippy town I remember.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 PM   #29
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Simpson's one condition on giving the DNA swab is if Kardashian visits him at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Nevada. "He wants to talk to her about some other things, too, but more importantly like her he wants to know if she is his daughter," Felix said.

I REALLY want to know what crazy-ass 'other things' OJ wants to discuss with Khloe Kardashian. I'm hoping it involves enlisting her for missions against his imaginary rivals and detractors, but he probably just wants to cop a feel.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-17-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #30
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just finished the second episode. It's enthralling, depressing, a little slow at times. I don't mind, it's laying some incredible work out to piece it all together. It's amazing to see all of it in retrospect and know how it turns out. I can't believe he was never arrested even after all those threats and all those incidents.

The funny thing to me is here's a guy who never wanted to be seen as part of the black community. Never wanted to associate with that struggle and identity. Yet, when he gets off he finally becomes the weird poster child for the very same community he absolves himself of.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #31
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I haven't seen enough of the 30 for 30 to make it real judgment, but I saw a bit of episode four and a couple of things bothered me.

One is that they really let it go railing against the defense for going over the line in defending OJ. They are supposed to do anything they can to defend their client. Prosecutors do the same thing, and often go over the line as well. The difference here was that OJ had the resources to mount a defense that a normal person cannot mount. To me, it's not that OJ's defense team was dirty, it's that the system is usually stacked against a defendant. They had Carl Douglas there to defend Cochrane and the team, but they gave much more play to Clark, the Goldmans and Lange attacking Cochrane.

The other thing was the prosecutors and LAPD being so upset that the defense was bringing racism and civil rights into this. There is a preponderance of evidence that during this timeframe the LAPD was absolutely dirty and prejudiced. Nothing was going to change until something made them change. OJ was far from a perfect "victim," but again he was the only one who had the resources to mount a defense that could expose the rampant civil rights violations going on in the LAPD.

This is an instance where I wish I kept a diary. I would love to know exactly what I was thinking back then. My recollection is that I thought OJ more likely than not did it but that the defense could not prove it. The evidence was poorly handled, too many people in the LAPD were dirty and the prosecution bumbled the case.

I do remember that both then and now -- including after seeing the crime scene photos -- I could not reconcile the bloodbath at Nicole's house with the relatively small amounts of blood found in the Bronco and at OJ's house. It still makes me believe that while OJ more likely than not did it, I'm not sure anyone has figured out the real story.

And I completely forgot about Cochrane's Fuhrman-Hitler analogy. Johnnie Cochrane may have been the last person in the world to get away with an overblown Hitler comparison.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #32
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just do yourself a favor and go back and start at the first episode. The whole thing has enough back story that you won't feel bad. The point, I believe is that here you've got an entire defense team that probably knows he's guilty and they have to pretend and attack others full in the face of the evidence. There was so much that wasn't allowed that the defense got tossed. The big picture was pretty clear. Hell, one of his oldest friends wouldn't have anything to do with him after he watched OJ. lie about his finger injury. He knew.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #33
King of New York
High School Varsity

I thought that the documentary gave about equal time to Simpson's defense team (Douglas, Scheck, and Bailey are all there to explain the defense) and to Marcia Clark (who throws plenty of people under the bus) and to the police. Jeffrey Toobin did a good job of presenting a legally knowledgeable outsider's take on the trial.

I am glad that they showed the crime-scene photos, which make clear that this was butchery.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #34
nol
Banned

I was just old enough to have memories from that time of "OJ Trial: day 55" or whatever being part of the news from, but nothing really beyond that. With that said, I can't believe I made it this far in life without hearing about Carl Douglas. What a card that guy is.

Last edited by nol : 06-19-2016 at 02:05 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #35
Dutch
"Dutch"

I was old enough to watch the helicopters fly by my workplace when I was out in Los Angeles. It was just so surreal and that car chase set in my mind forever that OJ was guilty. Then during the trial, they brought up the odds of OJs and Jessica's blood being mixed together in the billions to 1 ratio. The defense merely pointed out "to 1" in rebuttal and that was all it took apparently for that to be a non-consideration.

Last edited by Dutch : 06-19-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #36
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm definitely going to watch the whole thing. I mentioned my impression to my wife about the segments I saw and she echoed the sentiments above, that the balance of the documentary was pretty level handed and addressed many of my concerns.

It was such a crazy time. I was in college during most of the trial and had it on TV in the dorm room all the time. There was so much crazy that you forget some of it. Despite the 24-hour coverage of the story, I think there was so much that the medium missed or didn't cover enough. And some of the things that were deemed so important at the time are afterthoughts now, and minor points then are debates of contention now.

One personal note on the impact of the trial ... my dear departed grandmother was pretty darn racist most of her life. She forbid my mom from going to a dance with a black kid high school because they were "animals" and was always afraid of black people. Three people changed that: Muhammad Ali, OJ and Oprah.

I'm not sure why she liked Ali, but I remember she always had to watch his fights. I don't think she was too big a fan until the '70s, but she was enraptured. She was still pretty racist through the '80s, except for Ali. But OJ won her over. She watched every minute of the trial and absolutely beloved he was innocent and railroaded by the police. After the trial she started watching Oprah. And after OJ, she never said another racist word the rest of her life.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 06-19-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #37
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

This Summer, OJ Simpson is up for Parole

Because this is exactly what should happen in the US during 2017.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:08 PM   #38
bhlloy
Coordinator

He sounds like the perfect cabinet member

Last edited by bhlloy : 02-15-2017 at 05:08 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #39
AnalBumCover
College Starter

O.J. Simpson granted parole; will be free from Nevada prison by October
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #40
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
He sounds like the perfect cabinet member

He'd cut through all the red tape!
Old 07-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #41
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Juice is Loose!

ETA:
Also it's time for me to watch the Naked Gun movies again.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-20-2017 at 02:45 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:49 AM   #42
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #43
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Fascinated by how many unsolicited opinions (in real life) I've heard about this trial from people over the past few days. Just didn't realize how it gripped so many folks so long the original trials.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-21-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #44
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like he may have violated his parole already. It's hard to imagine that there was no provision against drinking.

OJ Simpson kicked out of, banned from Las Vegas hotel
Old 01-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #45
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

O.J. Simpson to sue Las Vegas casino that banned him for $100M