Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #251
JPhillips
General Manager

There were a couple good years of Bengals/Steelers hate during the Palmer/Johnson/Ward/Harrison years.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #252
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I think for awhile there you could lump the Steelers/Ravens in that category.

That was easily the best rivalry in the NFL since the 49ers and Cowboys (and it was probably better than that one). It's down this year because the Steelers aren't good and Ray Lewis retired, but that was THE rivalry in the NFL for a good 10 years or so.

Remember that it's really a holdover from the Steelers-Browns rivalry that's one of the league's oldest. Just because the Ravens left the Browns name doesn't mean that the players didn't know the history. And when the Ravens went to Baltimore and that defense got great, it was on. It really got cooking in 2004 when the Ravens knocked out Maddox and Big Ben made his debut.

The games from around 2007 - 2011 were probably the hardest-hitting games in the NFL in the last 30 years. I really thought someone was going to die during that AFC Championship game. And the games are close - of the last 15, 13 of them have been decided by a touchdown or less, 10 by a FG or less. Since 2000, the Steelers hold only a 17-14 edge on the Ravens.

It's not quite what it was this year because the Steelers are down and Ray Lewis is gone from the Ravens, but it's still must-see NFL TV.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #253
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I'm surprised Shanahan still has a job this morning.

Jaguars, Bucs, Dolphins, Texans and Redskins

Who is the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #254
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Jaguars, Bucs, Dolphins, Texans and Redskins

Who is the most dysfunctional organization in the NFL?

Cowboys

Jerry Jones is more than eager to embrace the throne vacated by Al Davis.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 12-09-2013 at 01:51 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #255
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Sorry but wasn't trying to say that more that they are VERY beatable in the playoffs especially on the road.
Well, luckily we'll only potentially go on the road against Denver or maybe Cincinnati. Past that, we're clearly better than Indy at this point and I think we'd be favored versus the Chiefs, Ravens or Dolphins at Foxboro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Just that they've been lucky. Typically a team doesn't win a huge majority games decided by 7 points or less and they are 7-3 in those games. So maybe they're really more a 7-6 team that's gotten a few breaks. Or they could even be 6-7 or worse with a few more bad breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And without calculating the patriots' expected win loss record, shouldn't having brady and bellichick give you at least a slightly better shot in close games than the league average? Or should all teams be 500 in close games regardless of coaching and talent?
Brady and Belichick are now 62-26 in close games - a large enough sample size it's not luck or statistical noise at this point. You know who else is 78-40 in 1-score games (since his rookie year)? Peyton Manning (and that's even with his 2-7 playoff mark).

This isn't even the "luckiest season" during their run. The 3 Super Bowl winning years we were 22-3 in close games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I don't know how anyone following the Pats this season would disagree with me. They made it this far on the back of their defense and then the back of Gronk, pretty clear cut. Now they have neither. At this point in the season we know what we are going to get. We can shout Brady's name all we want as giving us a chance, but I'm not giving him the "he had crappy receivers" pass everyone else did. Gronk came back and single handily reversed this offense.
I don't want to understate Gronk's importance, especially because his replacements are waiver-wire fodder in Mulligan and DJ Williams, but it was also Vereen coming back, Amendola getting healthy and Dobson improving before he was injured.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #256
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't want to understate Gronk's importance, especially because his replacements are waiver-wire fodder in Mulligan and DJ Williams, but it was also Vereen coming back, Amendola getting healthy and Dobson improving before he was injured.
Hope so.

Last edited by jeff061 : 12-09-2013 at 04:20 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #257
BishopMVP
Coordinator

As for the end of game calls I do agree both the PI and the unnecessary roughness on the previous TD were bad calls. (Although there probably was illegal contact or defensive holding on the Boyce play prior to the ball being in the air.) Similar to the Carolina game though where we still would have had to score on the subsequent play, we still would have had 2nd and 10 from the 30 with 35 seconds left - there was still a solid chance for us to score without the penalty.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #258
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Hope so.
Me too. Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into it, but Vereen is averaging 8 catches for 75 yards. Gronk was only at 5.5 catches per game, although he really was providing that deep threat up the middle that opened up space. Dobson is now essential as the outside deep threat, and he seemed to be growing into that role with 190 yards and 3 td's in his last 2 games before he injured his foot.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #259
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I keep hearing all of this negative stuff about the Pats and why they won't be any good and all that. Yet I still see they are a #2 seed. Oh whatever.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #260
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I am at a sports bar watching the ESPN crawl, and I see it say that AP is saying he will play after tests show no ligament damage. And I would not be shocked if the crawl continued, "Peterson, who is a robot or an alien or possibly both, injured the foot in last week's . . ."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #261
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Brady and Belichick are now 62-26 in close games - a large enough sample size it's not luck or statistical noise at this point. You know who else is 78-40 in 1-score games (since his rookie year)?

I mentally answered this with "MY MOM!" I watch too much Regular Show.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #262
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Battle of two utterly miserable defenses tonight.

Question is...which offense will make the mistake?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #263
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Alshon Jeffrey is turning into a total beast.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #264
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. When they say ice cold beer at Soldier Field, they MEAN it.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 12-09-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #265
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

U there ?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #266
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Holy balls what a catch by Jeffrey.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #267
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Nah, just saw a link to it.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #268
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #269
Grover
Pro Starter

holy shit what a catch.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #270
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

This kid's turning into Megatron version 2.0.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #271
Grover
Pro Starter

How bout that Cowboys defense.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #272
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

We've secretly replaced the Cowboys defense with... oh wait, we didn't replace them at all...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #273
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Needed 31 from McCown. I'm getting 51. I'd wear his jersey if I had one.

But this Cowboys defense is horrible. It's got to be the Eagles' division to lose at this point.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #274
Atocep
Coordinator

This is what happens when you decide to hire a coach that was effectively fired from a college job by his own son.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #275
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

And they wave the white flag with over three minutes remaining. Wow.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #276
Jas_lov
College Starter

That Dallas pass D is just what Aaron Rodgers needs to ease back into the swing of things this Sunday. They're somehow worse than the Packers D and that's tough to accomplish.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #277
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Oh, well. My system went 15-1 this week. I was hoping for my first 16-0 since I started doing this, but my computer had Dallas -1.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #278
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Oh, well. My system went 15-1 this week. I was hoping for my first 16-0 since I started doing this, but my computer had Dallas -1.

Same with my son. He was 15-0 before tonight's game which he had lost. Made up for last week when he was under .500.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #279
Grover
Pro Starter

From ESPN's Power Rankings...

Andy Dalton completed 15 of 17 passes for 180 yards and three touchdowns with an 8-yard scramble touchdown against at least five rushers.

That's really encouraging.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #280
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

The only favorite to not win this week was the Steelers. Your prediction model must be a good one.

I had to go back and look after I seen Bucs post as I figured a lot of favs must have won otherwise that would seem too random. If not I was going to pick your brains in trying to gather how you predicted certain upsets.

Still a great job in the unpredictable NFL.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-10-2013 at 11:38 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #281
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The only favorite to not win this week was the Steelers. Your prediction model must be a good one.
Weren't the Texans also favored?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #282
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Weren't the Texans also favored?

Ahh yes, Didnt look back that far. Thanks

Well picking the Jags over the Texas was a very good call by them 2. I dont think I could have ever done it.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #283
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Do you post your predictions prior to game week anywhere?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #284
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
From ESPN's Power Rankings...

Andy Dalton completed 15 of 17 passes for 180 yards and three touchdowns with an 8-yard scramble touchdown against at least five rushers.

That's really encouraging.

This is the most complete team Cincinnati has ever had, top to bottom. I think moving Whit to G was a genius move and the line played incredible against the Colts. Best I have seen them block anyone all year. I think if he gets that kind of protection and that kind of run support through the next couple months then this team does actually have a legit shot.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #285
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
This is the most complete team Cincinnati has ever had, top to bottom. I think moving Whit to G was a genius move and the line played incredible against the Colts. Best I have seen them block anyone all year. I think if he gets that kind of protection and that kind of run support through the next couple months then this team does actually have a legit shot.

I understand what you are saying and you might be right but the 1981 team was very good and well balanced. Truth is, the 1989 team might have been their best but they finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs. I still don't understand how they messed that season up.

In any case, I really thought they were going the Super Bowl until they lost Atkins and Hall -- Hall especially. Don't think they can do it now although I do think they matchup well with any teams out there besides New Orleans.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #286
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Kind of weird position that KC finds themselves in. One more win in any of the last three games and the #5 spot is locked up. In addition, they have very little chance of bringing in Denver for the #1 spot, so they could be in a position where the last two games don't matter while Denver has to play everyone to make sure they keep that #1 spot. Will be interesting to see what Reid decides to do down the stretch as far as how much he plays his starters.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #287
Blackadar
Retired

Now some people are calling for a "Gronk rule" to prevent defenders from hitting players low.

If you can't hit them high and you can't hit them low...what do you do? Give them a hug on the way to the end zone?
Old 12-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #288
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

If you can't hit them high and you can't hit them low...what do you do? Give them a hug on the way to the end zone?

A swat on the ass? Nah. Too violent.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #289
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Now some people are calling for a "Gronk rule" to prevent defenders from hitting players low.

I heard some talking head yesterday suggest a zone on the uniform that was a "tackle" zone.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #290
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I heard some talking head yesterday suggest a zone on the uniform that was a "tackle" zone.

LOL!

Look at the upside. If that happens we could call MLB the national pastime again!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #291
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

What would be the point? If you can't go high or go low then there's really no reason to send a defense onto the field.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #292
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
For those interested...this is my boss when I worked at the D3/D2 level...I have been fortunate enough to learn from (in my opinion) the best official in the NFL.

He made the calls to get me promoted this past season. I moved up to the FCS level as a line judge (without ever working any other position) and when I told him they wanted to move me from line judge to Referee at the D1 level, his first response was "I will have you over my house this spring and we will watch film to get you ready."

Peter King is doing a 3 part series on what it's like to be an official...here is part 1...

Peter King spends week embedded with NFL refs, Part 1 | The MMQB with Peter King

Steratore finally got his super bowl.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #293
Logan
Head Coach

Six pages on one week of regular season football!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:00 AM   #294
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Those were the days.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote