Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #101
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So how good is Foles?

Do the Eagles trade him off a hot run?

Foles is a backup quarterback capable of winning the super bowl with a great team around him. He could start on some average to below average teams. Eagles would be wise to keep him and his 5.5 million contract. Having a backup like Foles is underrated in the NFL. Look at what happened to the Packers when Rogers went out. Its that all too common situation in the NFL where a team overpays for a player based on a small sample size and unusual situations. The Eagles TEAM was fantastic and Foles was put into a situation to be successful. If you put Foles on the Browns he isnt going to look much different that what they are used to.

Congrats to the Eagles and to the classy Eagle fans out there. To the idiot Eagle fans you didnt deserve this outcome.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-04-2018 at 09:57 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #102
Thomkal
Head Coach

Was a great game offensively, not so much defensively, so I probably would not rate it as one of the top Super Bowls of all time. On the other hand the Patriots lost...
Old 02-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #103
JPhillips
General Manager

Duracell wins the Super Bowl.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:16 PM   #104
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Our group thinks the Tide ads were clear winners. Honorable mention to the Dodge Vikings commercial.

I liked the Tide ads too.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #105
molson
General Manager

Fun, frustrating game, but I'm happy for all the Eagles fans I've met over the years and my mother's side of the family from Philadelphia who tried to get me into the Eagles when I was kid.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #106
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

So WTF is the Malcolm Butler story? Apparently he said "They gave up on me. F—. It is what it is,” to Mike Reiss and Adam Schefter after the game. And apparently Belichek said it’s not a disciplinary action.

Odd time to send some sort of message.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #107
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The Tide ads were some of the most genius marketing of all time. Legit made every ad a Tide ad. We watched for dirty clothes in subsequent commercials and there were remarkably few. One of the best ads I've seen.

The ads that seemed to be flaunting charity pissed me off. Don't bullshit me with common courtesy and pass it off as a great sacrifice for your fellow man.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #108
molson
General Manager

Patriots apparently first team ever, in any game, to put up 600 yards of offense and lose.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #109
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
So WTF is the Malcolm Butler story? Apparently he said "They gave up on me. F—. It is what it is,” to Mike Reiss and Adam Schefter after the game. And apparently Belichek said it’s not a disciplinary action.

Yeah, this was super odd to me. I am finding it hard to believe we know the whole story right now, but then again my brain can't figure out what/where it could conceivably go from here.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #110
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
It's an honor to even be here. To my wife, my teammates -- nubmer 81. I know you're looking down on us--, to my parents... I wish I could win this for you, but I'll be back. I still feel like we're in a position to win next year.

- Tom Brady

And he had AH81 in black sharpie on his hand per reports. Kind of... weird. I get he may have been a good teammate but......
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #111
Suicane75
Coordinator

I really don't know how to put how I feel into words. I'm happy. Just happy.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #112
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
And he had AH81 in black sharpie on his hand per reports. Kind of... weird. I get he may have been a good teammate but......

I didn't listen to his post game press conference but I'm reading on Reddit that this is made up and he didn't actually say that
Old 02-04-2018, 10:44 PM   #113
MrBug708
Head Coach

Congrats to the Philly fans! May the vomit be ever happily flowing onto fellow fans at the parade!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #114
bhlloy
Coordinator

PFF isn't the be all and end all, but they had Butler as a pretty average CB and Rowe as one of the worst in the league. When you give up 375 yards and 3 TD's to Nick Foles, maybe the Patriots just out Patriot-ed themselves on this one. You can understand why he's not happy about it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #115
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I didn't listen to his post game press conference but I'm reading on Reddit that this is made up and he didn't actually say that

That's what I get for reading Twitter
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:02 PM   #116
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The feelings of watching that with my mom, my son, and the rest of my family are indescribable. So elated right now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #117
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
The feelings of watching that with my mom, my son, and the rest of my family are indescribable. So elated right now.

Congrats Eaglesfan27
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:51 AM   #118
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

So will this be remembered as what happens when two great offenses go at it or the most defense-less game ever? Looking at stats, it seems like a pro bowl.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:47 AM   #119
PilotMan
Head Coach

I really wish that Wentz had been able to play, but he still gets a ring, which is awesome. Very happy with the Eagles win.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:40 AM   #120
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kevin Harlan and Boomer Esiason on the radio is like AIDS for your ears. Literally Harlan is the fucking worst. And Boomer doesn't even say anything what he talks. The only highlight of the radio broadcast was that they would occasionally ask Mike Holmgren for an opinion or a take and he was pretty good
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #121
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post

This is the same coach who benched Wes Welker for the start of a playoff game. If the benching was for disciplinary reasons, he gets credit from me. If the rules are the rules, he has to bench him
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #122
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I couldn't bear to watch something I cared about that little and a franchise with people that are ruining the casual football market. I did not watch because the Pats were in it. So glad they lost but I'm afraid they'll never go away
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #123
Logan
Head Coach

Congrats to the Eagles fans here, I have a couple in my family so I was happy to root for them.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #124
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Eagles Superbowl Champs - Merrill Reese and Mike Quick Call it! - YouTube
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #125
Buccaneer
Head Coach

From about week 5 onwards, I’ve believed that the Eagles were the best team in the NFL and the playoffs and Super Bowl proved it. When Carson went down, the experts inexplicably dropped them from 1 to 4, even behind Minnesota. They were the best in the NFC all season long, with the Pats the best in the AFC, and I think everyone agreed that the NFCwas clearly better than the AFC (and will likely be for years to come).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #126
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats to Eagles fans. It was like watching the Pats play themselves, well deserved and a great game.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #127
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I was extremely impressed with Doug Pederson; I'm not sure how much of that was the fact that the Eagles were successful on all those 4th down "gambles," but my short-term memory is telling me I liked the calls before they were successful.

I don't catch a lot of Eagles games; has he been highly regarded for a while? In very early hindsight this seemed like an extremely well coached/gameplanned/executed game by the Eagles.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #128
molson
General Manager

I was dreading them going for it on 4th every time, because I knew it was the right call and I knew they'd probably get it. I've seen teams lose to the Patriots who weren't being nearly aggressive enough.

And I think it's the statistically correct call most times. You just need a coach willing to pull the trigger.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #129
miami_fan
Coordinator

I did not get a chance to listen to most of the NFL podcasts that I usually listen to last week. I have spent most of the morning listening back to what people thought may happen. Nick Foles may have topped Tony Eason as the least respected Super Bowl OB in the run up to the game that I can remember.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 02-05-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #130
AlexB
Pro Starter

Great game, terrible logo (looked more like LIII than LII)

Not feeling so great now after 4 hours sleep, but worth staying up to watch

Last edited by AlexB : 02-05-2018 at 11:36 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #131
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can we just call it Super Bowl 53 next year? Roman Numerals are dumb once you get above 25 or so.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #132
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Can we just call it Super Bowl 53 next year? Roman Numerals are dumb once you get above 25 or so.

I couldn't remember how to write 51, 6 and 500 in roman numerals. Not being able to recall made me LIVID
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #133
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I was extremely impressed with Doug Pederson; I'm not sure how much of that was the fact that the Eagles were successful on all those 4th down "gambles," but my short-term memory is telling me I liked the calls before they were successful.

I don't catch a lot of Eagles games; has he been highly regarded for a while? In very early hindsight this seemed like an extremely well coached/gameplanned/executed game by the Eagles.

I remember some rumblings at the beginning of the year that he was over his head and might not be the right guy for the job. I am glad to see him silence all of his critics. He called a great game and has done so all year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #134
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I couldn't remember how to write 51, 6 and 500 in roman numerals. Not being able to recall made me LIVID

I kept wondering why she wants the 500.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #135
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The first 4th down call was riskier. The second one seems definitely the right call since worst case scenario is Pats go up by 8 and Eagles still have a shot.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #136
miami_fan
Coordinator

The ratings are in.

Still going to be the most viewed TV show of the year but..

Super Bowl Delivers Smallest Television Audience Since 2009 - Bloomberg

103.4 million watched. Down from the 111 million from last year.

I saw another article that added 2.6 million viewers via Comcast-owned streaming options.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #137
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So i guess Butler missed a team flight, several curfews and was getting stoned in the lead up to the game?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #138
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I remember some rumblings at the beginning of the year that he was over his head and might not be the right guy for the job. I am glad to see him silence all of his critics. He called a great game and has done so all year.

Seriously one of the better called games I have seen in the Superbowl from an offensive standpoint. Patricia does not get outcoached much, and even when his defenses struggle early he is adept at making adjustments. He was given a clinic yesterday.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #139
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So i guess Butler missed a team flight, several curfews and was getting stoned in the lead up to the game?

Not sure of your source but this article has an explanation for the missed flight.

Patriots notebook: Malcolm Butler battling through illness | Boston Herald

Maybe they were actually lying earlier in the week.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #140
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Not sure of your source but this article has an explanation for the missed flight.

Patriots notebook: Malcolm Butler battling through illness | Boston Herald

Maybe they were actually lying earlier in the week.

That sounds like cover frankly. The scuttle hinges on a divided locker room and his emotion pregame just fuels that.

Like Steam?

Old 02-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

More interestingly, perhaps, is that the 7% decline is very much in line with the 8% dropoff for the conference championships and the 9% drop in the regular season overall.

Those of us who are gone are, well, gone. And neither commercials nor halftime shows change that.

Here's to a continued steady decline.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #142
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The ratings are in.

I saw another article that added 2.6 million viewers via Comcast-owned streaming options.

That's one of those "shows" that's really hard to get true numbers for. So many parties and groups watching together. I know a bunch of the "never watching NFL again" snowflakes who had their panties in a bunch over the anthem protests who were the first people to ask about going to a party or having their own parties for it (not just Eagles fans but other fans as well).

It's going to be down as the number of options continue to grow and may be harder to get true numbers as the options for viewing it continue to expand.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #143
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
More interestingly, perhaps, is that the 7% decline is very much in line with the 8% dropoff for the conference championships and the 9% drop in the regular season overall.

Those of us who are gone are, well, gone. And neither commercials nor halftime shows change that.

Like Steam?

Old 02-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #144
PilotMan
Head Coach

Cause that's the only possible reason, right?

Who did NASCAR piss off then?

Like Steam?

Old 02-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #145
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Makes you wonder why the NFL rigs all these games for the Patriots, as I've been reading here for years.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #146
Edward64
Head Coach

The picture of Foles looking at the trophy is a great shot.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/05/su...eter-king-mmqb
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:21 AM   #147
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Yet here you are in the Super Bowl thread.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #148
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
The ratings are in.

A few factors:

The NFL is still doing great. We had just gotten used to it doing greater than great. A reversion to "like other highly rated television" maybe does not need much explanation.

My sense is that the concussion stuff is starting to seep through to the more casual fans. Fans like us have come to peace with it, but I think that the ones most likely to peel off might have started to do that.

I'd really like to see the breakdown by age. Kids today have a lot more entertainment options and are not used to "plop down in front of a non-interactive screen for three hours" as something they want to do. How do the ratings look for that 18-25 yo demographic? Are millennials killing football, too ?

Despite my prediction that it would not matter, the police brutality protests do seem to have turned off some fans. Much like with the concussion fans, I don't see those coming back.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #149
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Im certainly not the pulse of the entire country but an overwhelming response from people I got that werent going to watch the super bowl were similar to this "Im not going to watch them overpaid assholes shit on our country." I think the decline is directly related to the kneeling problem. A lot of very proud veterans that were previously NFL fans finally said enough is enough.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #150
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm in the anti-Kapernick, spoiled multi-millionaire ingrate camp and was turned off by the others that copied him. This country, warts and all, is still one of the best places for opportunity and bettering your place in life.

Although initially turned off, I did start watching NFL games again because the protesting has for the most part stopped.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote